Become a Patron!
Hello, guys, i am quite new to vaping and I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. Yesterday, I bought myself a vape with the following configuration:
1) smok tfv12 tank (with preinstalled smok v12-t12 atomizer)
2) CigGo Praxis Vapor Banshee 150W TC box mod
3) 2x Avatar 2000 mAh 20A 18650 batteries

As far as I understand, the coil that I use has a low resistance (0.12 Ohm), and therefore i should vape at 120+ watts. I notice that after a few minutes of vaping the tank and the mod become warm. The tank seems to be getting warm due to the heating of the evaporator, but now with the mod itself I had a question. I conducted an independent investigation, and I realized that the batteries were getting warm. I read a few articles and understood that the batteries should not become hot on their own. Tell me please, what could be the problem. Are these batteries bad for this vape or what? I do not want to stay without a head one day =)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First just because you are using a specific ohm does not dictate required vaping wattage.. if you are vaping unregulated it does dictate output watts... not good vaping watts....

Quality vapor is determined by having the correct amount of wire in your coil for the expected wattage at an ohm that is functional and safe for you mod.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Dead Gummy Worm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
How many watts are you trying to get? some will disagree but even if they are real 20a CDR batteries it is good practice to keep watts under 120... they shouldnt get warm until they approach low voltage tbh

Thanks everyone for your answers!
By this https://www.elementvape.com/smok-tfv12-replacement-coils link, I read that the recommended power for this coil is 130-200 watts. And for power below 60 it is not intended to work at all. I vape at 130 watts. (150 is the maximum for my mod). Perhaps the batteries are really quite bad - i bought one of the cheapest (others were out of stock). And yet, is there any basic difference between the batteries on 20A and 30A, 35A (and so on) and what does it affect?

Dead Gummy Worm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks everyone for your answers!
By this https://www.elementvape.com/smok-tfv12-replacement-coils link, I read that the recommended power for this coil is 130-200 watts. And for power below 60 it is not intended to work at all. I vape at 130 watts. (150 is the maximum for my mod). Perhaps the batteries are really quite bad - i bought one of the cheapest (others were out of stock). And yet, is there any basic difference between the batteries on 20A and 30A, 35A (and so on) and what does it affect?
A) Just because it is "recommended" for 130-200 watts does not mean you have to vape at that.
B) Yes AMPS MATTER!

Your 20A batteries should not be going to 130 watts which is why they are getting hot, that is if they are even truly 20A batteries...

Buy from a trusted seller of batteries, NOT fleabay and amazon... There is no such thing as a 35A CDR battery (not real anyway, not yet)

your mod has 2 batteries each battery gives you 60 watts of usable power for 20a if they are actually 20A (which i doubt)

easiest simple math is divide watts by batteries so in this case 130w/2batt = 65 watts now divide 65 by 3(low voltage limit of the battery) and you get 21.66 Amp draw on each battery as you can see with a 20A battery you are out of spec. This assumes a new battery performing optimally. Over time batteries build up internal resistance as well which can make things worse.

Bottom line find trusted batteries. Dont vape at 130 just because a stupid ass coil says to do so, i know of people who use those coils at 70-90 watts no problem

renzyb

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A) Just because it is "recommended" for 130-200 watts does not mean you have to vape at that.
B) Yes AMPS MATTER!

Your 20A batteries should not be going to 130 watts which is why they are getting hot, that is if they are even truly 20A batteries...

Buy from a trusted seller of batteries, NOT fleabay and amazon... There is no such thing as a 35A CDR battery (not real anyway, not yet)

your mod has 2 batteries each battery gives you 60 watts of usable power for 20a if they are actually 20A (which i doubt)

easiest simple math is divide watts by batteries so in this case 130w/2batt = 65 watts now divide 65 by 3(low voltage limit of the battery) and you get 21.66 Amp draw on each battery as you can see with a 20A battery you are out of spec. This assumes a new battery performing optimally. Over time batteries build up internal resistance as well which can make things worse.

Bottom line find trusted batteries. Dont vape at 130 just because a stupid ass coil says to do so, i know of people who use those coils at 70-90 watts no problem

#Truth. listen to this man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Please listen to the above. Also the easiest way to know your amp draw is watts divided by voltage so I'm running a dual coil at .4ohms at 60watts and my voltage is at 4.9V. 60wattsĂ·4.9V=12.2amps
My batteries are LG HG2 which are 20amps so I know I'm safe

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you sure the batteries themselves are warming up and that it isn't just heat radiating down from the hot coils?
I have used an infrared thermometer on one of my RDAs with a 0.12 ohm build vaping at 90 watts and measured temps over 160F. metal transfers heat, the hot coils heat up the surrounding metal of the tank/rda, which in turn heats up the mod. Plus your hand both insulates and adds heat to the mod as well. In turn, the batteries inside the mod warm up. If you are vaping at 130 watts, the coils will likely be putting out far more heat, especially if they are premade coils which are generally on the smaller side.

When the mod starts heating up, open it up and take out the batteries.
If the batteries feel cooler then the mod, it is heat radiating down from the coils in your tank, nothing to be too concerned about, just let the mod cool down a bit once in a while.
If the batteries are HOTTER then the mod, then they are not good batteries to use.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could be mistaken so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the math for regulated devices is watts divided by min battery state (3.2v) divided by efficiency to determine the amp draw.

By that calculation it would be 120w / 6.4v (3.2v (x2) 18650 batteries) / .90 (90% efficiency average) = ~21 amps.

Mooch did some testing on 30a avatars though said he couldn't find them for sale anyplace, on 20a and that they spec'd out the same. Meaning the 30a may have been some sort of b.s. rating on 20a avatar batteries. If it's those same batteries, at 20a the temps were ok at 76c but at just 25a the temps were 87c which was too high. Either of those are pretty warm in terms of heat output in general, 76c is almost 170F.

Not one of the more glowing reviews even though it wasn't the worst.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ults-something-suspicious-is-going-on.756463/

As other said, if looking to push close to 20a it might be better to go with a more solid battery in the 25a-30a range like the lg hd2 (25a 2000mah), lg hb6 (30a 1500mah), sony vtc5a (25a 2500mah). The sony vtc5's without the 'A' are 20a/2600mah batteries.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I could be mistaken so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the math for regulated devices is watts divided by min battery state (3.2v) divided by efficiency to determine the amp draw.

By that calculation it would be 120w / 6.4v (3.2v (x2) 18650 batteries) / .90 (90% efficiency average) = ~21 amps.

Mooch did some testing on 30a avatars though said he couldn't find them for sale anyplace, on 20a and that they spec'd out the same. Meaning the 30a may have been some sort of b.s. rating on 20a avatar batteries. If it's those same batteries, at 20a the temps were ok at 76c but at just 25a the temps were 87c which was too high. Either of those are pretty warm in terms of heat output in general, 76c is almost 170F.

Not one of the more glowing reviews even though it wasn't the worst.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ults-something-suspicious-is-going-on.756463/

As other said, if looking to push close to 20a it might be better to go with a more solid battery in the 25a-30a range like the lg hd2 (25a 2000mah), lg hb6 (30a 1500mah), sony vtc5a (25a 2500mah). The sony vtc5's without the 'A' are 20a/2600mah batteries.
Yeah, 120W / 6.4V / .90 / hot-weather-and-or-chain-vaping = VTC5A. (Or Samsung/LG in conjunction with a box full of ice cubes in order to cool down the batteries. :giggle: )

VU Sponsors