Become a Patron!

Battery help? What to get for a Smok ACE?

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got an ACE on the way, pretty cheap regulated tube mod, but I've never used a replaceable battery mod before. I know I need a couple of 18650 batteries and a charger, but I'm confused on what to get. I need a cheap solution here, they don't have to be top of the line batteries - they just need to work (value shopping, decent quality for decent price would be best here).

There are a dizzying array of 18650s out there. No idea what I'm looking at as I browse. Any help would be appreciated, especially if there are any good deals right now. I need specifics though - since I don't know what I'm doing here!

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Like, is this what I'll need?

2x Keeppower IMR 18650 2500mAh 35A High Drain Rechargeable Battery - BUTTON TOP
$_57.JPG

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It will take either button top or flat top. It needs to be an unprotected battery, the tubes for the Ace and the SID are pretty snug so a protected battery wouldn't fit and the Ace supplies it's own protection through the chip . The KeepPower pictured is more than sufficient. At 20 amps and IMR chemistry it's also suitable to use in a mech mod. Stay away from batteries with fire in the name. While IMR or hybrid high drain batteries aren't absolutely required they are safer and will give you more flexibility in rotating batteries if you later purchase a mech or higher powered regulated device and they are not significantly more expensive. Also, if you do get button tops, many come sealed in a clear wrapper in addition to the regular battery wrap. They won't fit in the tube with the extra wrapper still on there.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Lefty!

Would flat-top be better than button-top? Someone else told me that Flat are always better. If it can take either, should I just get the flat version of the Keeppowers?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, flats are more versatile. You can make a battery longer using a small neodymium magnet but it's tough to make them shorter.:)
For the most part if given a choice I go with flat tops myself. The LGHE2 and Samsung 25R are basically the same specs as the KeepPower (it's probably one or the other under that black wrapper). Whichever of them Genuinecells has the best price on. I grabbed the Samsung 25R last time I bought.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the Samsung 25R I'm looking at says INR - is that different from IMR somehow? Sorry if that's a dumb question. The 25R that I'm looking at is basically 20 cents more so if it'd be a safer buy I'll go with it.

http://www.rtdvapor.com/samsung-inr18650-25r-2500mah/

Last edited:

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is also noted about the product on a few places:

NOTE: Like the SID, this unit will NOT work with the Panasonic CGR18650CH button top because of the extra thickness caused by the overwrap. However, the flat top Panasonic CGR18650CH works great!

Not sure if that is important or not in this case.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's a hybrid. So is the LG but of a different type. All are safe chemistry batteries.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When a clear overwrap prevents the battery from fitting the tube you just remove the clear overwrap.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got it, thanks. Appreciate the help, all of the battery stuff is a little overwhelming right now, but I'll get there!

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You'll pick it up as you go. The Ace and it's brother the SID can use ICR unprotected batteries as well since they provide regulation and short protection the same as your MVP does. They tend to have the highest mAh ratings. They also tend to explode sometimes when they do fail. IMR's have usually a lower mAh rating but due to the chemistry tend to vent gasses more than explode. Neither being something you want to experience but.... Hybrids of various types use a combination chemistry aimed at achieving higher mAh ratings safely. 20 amps is overkill on the Ace as it's circuitry won't get anywhere near that. If you want to be able to use your battery in anything you might decide to buy then it's not.
The KeepPower's and the Xtar are a perfectly fine choice.
By the way I'm assuming you grabbed the $7.98 BF deal on the Ace? I nearly bought one and I have absolutely no need of one. But still at that price....

Last edited:

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Awesome. Yeah, while I don't want to have the mod-buying bug, it seems smart to have a battery that will still work in anything else I do happen to pick up. As long as it is safe enough - I worry about exploding etc.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep! I got the stainless color (think it's aluminum though) for the extra 2 dollars. Seemed too good to pass up. I mean, it is cheaper than the batteries are going to be! If it works for a month I'll have gotten the ten dollars worth out of it

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hee! Not wanting the mod buying bug... oh my. If you figure out an inoculation let me know. I've got it bad.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For me, the empty wallet seems to be a pretty good safeguard against it :D

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Got an ACE on the way, pretty cheap regulated tube mod, but I've never used a replaceable battery mod before. I know I need a couple of 18650 batteries and a charger, but I'm confused on what to get. I need a cheap solution here, they don't have to be top of the line batteries - they just need to work (value shopping, decent quality for decent price would be best here).

There are a dizzying array of 18650s out there. No idea what I'm looking at as I browse. Any help would be appreciated, especially if there are any good deals right now. I need specifics though - since I don't know what I'm doing here!

Efest - I use the black n red ones in my Bolts - I also have the purple ones
Samsung - the powder blue ones
Sony VTC4 or 5's - if you can get your hands on them.
MNKE IMR

Any of those will be good and safe for you. And when you have the option... I would always choose a single 18650 over stacked 18300.

VU Sponsors