Become a Patron!

Battery issues

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I am not a noon by far but all of my mods up until now have had internal batteries , I bought a subbox kit about 2 months ago and bought a vtc 18650 to go with it based on user reviews on batteries . I didn't buy a charger because I figured I could use the pass through on it.well my problem is I did not use it for a week or so while I was rotating through my cool fire and my eleaf and when I returned to use it it would not turn on . I checked it with my meter and only have 1.21 v on the battery.i just ordered a eleaf 60w kit a uwell crown 2 efest 35 amp batteries and a nitecore i2 my question is , will I be safe to chare the vct or has it went beyond the threshold for safety ? I don't want it to blow or damage my new charger when it arrives on wed . Any ideas or advice I can get is greatly appreciated.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I am not a noon by far but all of my mods up until now have had internal batteries , I bought a subbox kit about 2 months ago and bought a vtc 18650 to go with it based on user reviews on batteries . I didn't buy a charger because I figured I could use the pass through on it.well my problem is I did not use it for a week or so while I was rotating through my cool fire and my eleaf and when I returned to use it it would not turn on . I checked it with my meter and only have 1.21 v on the battery.i just ordered a eleaf 60w kit a uwell crown 2 efest 35 amp batteries and a nitecore i2 my question is , will I be safe to chare the vct or has it went beyond the threshold for safety ? I don't want it to blow or damage my new charger when it arrives on wed . Any ideas or advice I can get is greatly appreciated.
Wow if you can use a Meter to check a battery I would think you had the knowledge to know certain battery chargers can sometimes revivie batteries that have dropped below the charge Min set by the manufacturer.. The answer is simple it depends on the battery charger

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am a electrician and know that very well. What I don't know is the ins and outs of these types of batteries , was hoping someone has had this issue so they could let me know without having to spend hours researching and possibly burning out a new charger . And since I don't own a 1500 dollar meter that tests load and draw I am looking for help here .

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Can you post a pic of the battery in question showing the manufacturer marks?

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
9f27976f32ec484bfd90bebc0c7f0e49.jpg

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
They'll be under the white sticker

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am a electrician and know that very well. What I don't know is the ins and outs of these types of batteries , was hoping someone has had this issue so they could let me know without having to spend hours researching and possibly burning out a new charger . And since I don't own a 1500 dollar meter that tests load and draw I am looking for help here .
Which charger do you have .. you still have not answered the question it depends on the charger

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'd put it on the charger. It'll either accept a charge or it will not. I'd keep an eye on it. Even the best chargers and batteries occasionally go awry and burst into flames. (Actually: Can happen even if everything otherwise seems fine, so you pays yer nickel and you takes your chances.)

Jim

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not have a charger at the moment , it is on the way . A nitecore i2 , it will be here wed or Thurs . I am just wary of putting it on a charger with the voltage that low

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The Intellicharger/Nitecore i2 is a good charger. That's what I have, btw. Personally, as I said: I'd put the battery on it and see if it takes a charge. I would keep a close eye on things, tho. I probably wouldn't put it on the charger and go to bed or leave the house ;)

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The imprint looks to be authentic Sony. Did you by any chance leave the subox on while it was sitting?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do not have a charger at the moment , it is on the way . A nitecore i2 , it will be here wed or Thurs . I am just wary of putting it on a charger with the voltage that low
The Nitecore D2 does have the capability.. Will it recover the overly discharged cell? Sometimes they do sometimes they do not I have had about a 50% success rate give it a try. You will have to leave it on for about 10 hours atleast to see I would not leave the battery alone in case it does decide to freak out and cause a small detonation

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool , I will try that and see what it does when it arrives this week . Thanks for the help everyone !

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
At 1.21V on a lithium cell, there is a strong possibility that it's discharged past the point of being rehabilitated and charged again. Give it a shot with the Nitecore charger. Turn off the mod at night or when you are not using it going forward.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
At 1.21V on a lithium cell, there is a strong possibility that it's discharged past the point of being rehabilitated and charged again. Give it a shot with the Nitecore charger. Turn off the mod at night or when you are not using it going forward.
its a crap shoot

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As others said it's possible it will revive but keep a very close eye on it while you're trying it. Definitely try to figure out what happened so you don't discharge it again like that.

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe it was from just trying to use the pass through on the mod , I knew I shouldn't have but tries to save a few $$$$ I will not make that mistake again .

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a HE2 to come back to life, but it was a little below 3 volts if I remember correctly. 1.2 volts, might be gone...

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool , I will try that and see what it does when it arrives this week . Thanks for the help everyone !

Personally, I would charge it in several short cycles to start (5 to 15 minutes), to allow the charge to diffuse through the cell. This will also prevent the battery from getting hot from one prolonged charge cycle - this is where a lot of the issues with Lion batteries arise. Let the battery rest for some time before each cycle (30 min to an hour or more).

Almost all the regulated mods have a quiescent current drain - i.e., even if it is off, it is on. It varies from board to board. So.... take the batteries out or that battery will drain. You could also place a piece of plastic to prevent the battery(s) from making contact. Make it so it has a tab for removal if in a tray and will also indicate it is in place. Old credit card stock or plastic biz cards are good for this.

VU Sponsors