Become a Patron!

battery life

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
do larger coils with more capacitance use more battery life faster on a 4s lipo?

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Battery runtime is really based on amps, watts being pulled by those amps, and how long you discharge (hold down the fire button).

If it is a 4S LiPo box with a potentiometer or other such semi-unregulated mod, then you kinda break it down like an unregulated/mechanical mod.

Lower your resistance = more amps pulled, more amps pulled = more watts pulled, more watts pulled = less runtime
Next would again be at the coil, if you are using massive coils, there is a lot of metal in them, 24awg, 22awg, 20awg, fused/stapled/framed/super exotic coils, these inherently need either massive wattage applied, or they require you to hold down the fire button a long time to get up to heating temp, this is the biggest killer of runtime. Thus you have to find a balance of runtime and the power you are needing. Most times you can get a very comparable vape from 26awg or thinner wire and far more efficient battery wise than the latest and greatest super exotic coil.

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Battery runtime is really based on amps, watts being pulled by those amps, and how long you discharge (hold down the fire button).

If it is a 4S LiPo box with a potentiometer or other such semi-unregulated mod, then you kinda break it down like an unregulated/mechanical mod.

Lower your resistance = more amps pulled, more amps pulled = more watts pulled, more watts pulled = less runtime
Next would again be at the coil, if you are using massive coils, there is a lot of metal in them, 24awg, 22awg, 20awg, fused/stapled/framed/super exotic coils, these inherently need either massive wattage applied, or they require you to hold down the fire button a long time to get up to heating temp, this is the biggest killer of runtime. Thus you have to find a balance of runtime and the power you are needing. Most times you can get a very comparable vape from 26awg or thinner wire and far more efficient battery wise than the latest and greatest super exotic coil.
i cant run 26 gauge in my 4s lipo at 425 watts lol i gotta use the exotic stuff my latest build was 3x 26gk 32gk wrap aliens although i could use straight 20g with alot of wraps

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
With that type of build going, yes you are going to suffer battery runtime issues, especially at that wattage level. When I was working in a vapor shop I got this question all the time, especially on the 3S and 4S LiPo box mods. I can understand needing a quick 1/2 to 1 second burst at high watts if you are trick competitions and pretty high for cloud competition, but not all the time. I just see no practical reason to be running over 100watts as a daily driver, especially given on a LiPo box those LiPo batteries really aren't the longest running to begin with, even at 50watts or lower.

If you are needing such a hot vape, get a smaller RDA or tank with a smaller, narrower build deck and have less airflow, at lower watts and you can get the same enjoyable vape, but if it is just for the clouds, clouds = you are shit out of luck no matter what device or what you do.

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With that type of build going, yes you are going to suffer battery runtime issues, especially at that wattage level. When I was working in a vapor shop I got this question all the time, especially on the 3S and 4S LiPo box mods. I can understand needing a quick 1/2 to 1 second burst at high watts if you are trick competitions and pretty high for cloud competition, but not all the time. I just see no practical reason to be running over 100watts as a daily driver, especially given on a LiPo box those LiPo batteries really aren't the longest running to begin with, even at 50watts or lower.

If you are needing such a hot vape, get a smaller RDA or tank with a smaller, narrower build deck and have less airflow, at lower watts and you can get the same enjoyable vape, but if it is just for the clouds, clouds = you are shit out of luck no matter what device or what you do.
i also use a dual 26650 series box with a 22mm rda at around 170 watts which is also a nice hot vape

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

at around 175 watts with my vcmt i get a pretty warm vape and on the lipo and the battery will last all day

VU Sponsors