Become a Patron!

Battery orientation

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Which way does everybody put their batteries in a tube? I've always put the positive to the atty but I'd like to try the other way. I know it's the same difference but I'm still hesitant to do it. Am I missing something? Is that a no no. Is this a battery safety question.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Which way does everybody put their batteries in a tube? I've always put the positive to the atty but I'd like to try the other way. I know it's the same difference but I'm still hesitant to do it. Am I missing something? Is that a no no.
Depends on the tube. I put them positive down in the black ring and positive up in most of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I usually do pos up since the result of a damaged wrap are less horrible that way.
That being said, the broadside is designed to be positive down and the battery is completely isolated from the body as it's lined with delrin.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unless a manufacturer instructs you to do otherwise, follow the standard orientation of positive toward the 510. There are some mechanicals/switches that are too easy to dead short or autofire if you reverse the battery orientation.

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I usually do pos up since the result of a damaged wrap are less horrible that way.
That being said, the broadside is designed to be positive down and the battery is completely isolated from the body as it's lined with delrin.

The broadside is what got me thinking. Between that and reading batteries don't understand polarity and only want to complete the circuit, and, reading about how batteries normally vent.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
While that's true many switches can dead short if there is a small area of damage to the wrap at the battery positive and the positive is oriented toward the switch. The Kamry K1000 e-pipe comes to mind where their instructions actually said "battery positive to switch" and that was a really bad idea. Doing that not only created the risk for a dead short if there was damage to the wrap, it also created a stupidly short switch throw with the button top batteries they included with the K1000.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The broadside is what got me thinking. Between that and reading batteries don't understand polarity and only want to complete the circuit, and, reading about how batteries normally vent.
It's true batteries in a mechanical situation don't care about polarity, the circuit will be complete and the atomizer will fire either way.
Thing is if the battery has a tear or something in it and it goes unnoticed, it will make contact with the body of the tube and if it's facing toward 510 that means it will auto fire but if the negative is facing the 510 is will hard short the cell and depending on the cells chemistry can either be bad or really really really bad.
So it's more of a safety thing rather than a performance thing.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just ask yourself which way you want the battery to vent..towards your face or towards your hand.
I did used to think this way myself too, but I think with most mods positive up is safer in case of a small nick or tear you miss, as this will just cause an autofire positive up, while positive down it will cause a hard short, and very likely vent if you don't notice the heat.
With something like the broadside though, I think that is a really good idea allowing positive down placement without the danger of a hard short from an missed nick in the wrapper, and if the worst did happen it vents the way you mention towards your hand.

VU Sponsors