Become a Patron!

Battery problem Panzer DNA200

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Help please, I just got a Panzer DNA200 yesterday and it came with (probably) 0% battery level. So I connected via my laptop to charge and left it overnight. To my dismay, when I woke up I went straight to it and press the fire button to see if it was full and here's what the screen showed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458189837.659686.jpg
What's going on?
I connect it via escribe and it shows the mod as a an Evolv DNA200. Plus I don't think there's any clone of this model out yet, or is there?
I'm very upset and at a lost right now. Any help will be much obliged.
BTW, I know just a bit about computer but please don't get too technical, explanations in layman's terms would be appreciated.
This is definitely disappointment on top of disappointment since I ordered this color
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458190109.665579.jpg
OH, also, I only saw these colors in Google
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458190150.368677.jpg
The color of the one I got is not in there, hmmm,, makes me wonder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to go to a "Hand-Over Ceremony" of a certain water purificarion project I did for school children. Hopefully when I'm back there will be good news waiting.
Thanks for all input.

A lost soul

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just saw the thread. I'm assuming the battery is connected. I just recently saw a thread where someone was having a similar problem with a different mod and the battery wasn't connected. If the battery is completely discharged, in Escribe there is a way to use recovery charging. I'm not at home at the moment or I would tell you exactly what tab in Escribe it's under. Will be home this afternoon if you are in need of further assistance. Let me know.

Cheers,
Steve

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On my DNA200 mods there is a connector where the battery connects to the mod. If that isn't tight or if they shipped the mod with it disconnected, it would still turn on when plugged into Escribe. Sounds like the problem off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Steve

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One last thing if you connect the mod to Escribe and click on the Device Monitor tab you can see the individual voltage of each cell. If all 3 cells are 0 volts, the Lipo pack is most likely disconnected.

Cheers,
Steve

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have nothing to offer except that is one nice looking mod.

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Wingsfan0310 I just got home after a very busy day and late dinner. Thanks for your input, let me run some quick errands and take a shower since it has been a record high temperature here today and will turn on the computer and check.
BTW, when I first got it out ofmthe box last night, the battery was completely empty. I connected it to my laptop and the familiar sound of "outside agent connecting" was heard and the "thunderbolt sign" on the screen show on the battery symbol as it should and had been with my other DNA200 box. In the morning, I press the fire battery the battery sign shows empty and from then on, mo matter which cables or heads or where I plugged it in, it stays like that. If I took out cable, it dies.
I went into escribe, and the batteries show some kind of values, different though they may be, I couldn't remember exactly how much, but not 0s.
I will check again and take a picture of the computer screen to show you.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok buddy, I'm sure we can get it sorted out. If the batteries are under a certain voltage you will have to use recovery charge in Escribe. I'll be home in a couple of hours. Don't have Escribe in front of me atm.

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Wingsfan0310
Thank you very much.
BTW, here's what the entire screen looks like when I connected the mod
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458230400.605841.jpg
The info about the batteries
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458230428.625164.jpg
and the screen of the mod itself showing
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458230462.094601.jpg
It's 23:01 hrs. here already and I've got a long day waiting for me tomorrow, got a give give a speech at a conference with an audience of 600+ audiences and also do some translation works as well.
Plz leave your advice and I'll check in every chance I have.
Thanks again for your kindness.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok you are going to have to use USB recovery charging. Cell 3 is very low, I'll tell you how to do the recovery, but if it was me I would contact the vendor, tell them the cell voltages and request a new battery. We can probably bring it back, but that cell should never have gotten under 2.0v. I would request a replacement Lipo myself. In normal operation the soft cell cutoff is 3.09v per cell.

Recovery Charging.
Hook up your mod. Go to the device monitor, click on the Diagnostic tab in the bottom right corner of the page. Then click on advanced tab and finally Perform USB recovery charging.

That's the only way you can charge it once the voltage has dropped that low. I had that happen to my Hotcig DX200, but that was with one of the first versions of firmware where there was a known bug that drained the battery while it was inactive. That has long since been remedied so I'm not sure why yours came like this.
* After the battery has been recovered, assuming it holds a decent charge (I'm assuming it will) you won't have to do this again, but I would still request a replacement Lipo pack either way*

These instructions are for Escribe Version 1.0.41 You can find out what version you are running by clicking on the help tab at the top of Escribe then about Escribe.

Here's a link to the Escribe manual in case you have an older version:
http://www.evolvapor.com/manuals/EScribeManual.pdf

One last thing, you may have to run the recovery charging twice, I didn't but I have heard of a few people who have. Let me know how it turns out or if you need further assistance.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just telling you no recovery charges have been performed yet on that device. Escribe keeps track of that information. I didn't have to keep clicking yes. Once I clicked yes recovery charged it up. Repeat as necessary until it will charge normally

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just telling you no recovery charges have been performed yet on that device. Escribe keeps track of that information. I didn't have to keep clicking yes. Once I clicked yes recovery charged it up. Repeat as necessary until it will charge normally
ok, I'll keep on trying

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can't get it to charge or hold a charge then the battery is probably shot. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The one time that happened to me (it was my first DNA200 back in October iirc). The cells held a charge, they didn't keep dropping. Looks like the pack was either bad from the start or damaged because it was discharged to low. Though one of my cells was in the same neighborhood. I think it may be tome to contact the vendor and either request at the very least a replacement Lipo pack or maybe a better idea would be a replacement mod!

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
again? and keep repeating?

having one cell drained so low is not good or safe for you to use, probably the chip has locked for your safety, why don't you want to get the battery/mod replaced?

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Steve, you've been very helpful.
I've disconnected it.
Oh, and last night I already talked to the vendor and he will replace it, hopefully to the color I requested in the first place.
The only problem is ... he's in Malaysia and I'm in Thailand. But we'll work something out.

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Isn't this supposed to come half charged out of the box as an indication of a good Lipo health? no?
My other DNA200 came half charge, yes, but this one, although came fully wrapped, un-opened, came empty.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Steve, you've been very helpful.
I've disconnected it.
Oh, and last night I already talked to the vendor and he will replace it, hopefully to the color I requested in the first place.
The only problem is ... he's in Malaysia and I'm in Thailand. But we'll work something out.

At this point, that is your best and only option. Wish I could have been more help!

Cheers,
Steve

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My other DNA200 came half charge, yes, but this one, although came fully wrapped, un-opened, came empty.

Most of my DNA200's come with each cell in the 3.9x range. Sounds like you must have just got a bad 3s Lipo pack.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

It is strange how that happened, either the battery pack is too old or is defective, but the device itself is a very recent one i wonder how it got an old battery, but anyways, your safety comes first, i would not risk playing with this battery until you get it replaced.

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is strange how that happened, either the battery pack is too old or is defective, but the device itself is a very recent one i wonder how it got an old battery, but anyways, your safety comes first, i would not risk playing with this battery until you get it replaced.
Thanks for caring, I'm putting it away in its box already and soon as I talk to the vendor I will send the whole thing back to him.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are quite welcome, always glad to try and help! Like I said in the very beginning there was a bug in the first firmware that drained the batteries when they were inactive. That has long since been fixed so I'm guessing you just a bad pack.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for caring, I'm putting it away in its box already and soon as I talk to the vendor I will send the whole thing back to him.

no problem buddy, the whole purpose of vaping is to save our health from the cancer stick, i would not like to hear of a vaper getting hurt from bad batteries, sorry for your experience and good luck with the replacement :)

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
no problem buddy, the whole purpose of vaping is to save our health from the cancer stick, i would not like to hear of a vaper getting hurt from bad batteries, sorry for your experience and good luck with the replacement :)
Thanks again, I've been vaping for almost 4 years now after 30+ years of such cancer sticks. It does womderful things to me, but, you're right, safety must always comes first.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't own a DNA 200 anything. I've seen this too many times . I was wondering if this occurs because the 200 has no off function. The manufacturer builds it, it sits on the shelf for a long period of time(draining the batt)before being sold and put into the hands of the owner. Over of FT, a buyer of this very mod reported the exact symptoms. He had to have a new batt pack sent to remedy...My reason for suggesting this as a possibility, is I was thinking of buying this very mod, but have been hesitant because of doa batts.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have an extra VT200. I got it in October, at that time I plugged it into Escribe to check the packs voltage. All 3 cells were in the 3.9x range. I've never used it (or charged it because it's an extra/spare - I really need to think about selling it). I checked it after reading your post and they are all still in the 3.9x range.

As I said a few times earlier, the first firmware had a bug that allowed the batteries to be drained while inactive, that has long since been remedied. I'm not sure what's going on with the Panzer. Could be a bad batch of Lipos, bad quality Lipo, problem with the installation, coincidence, etc (I would just be guessing). After about 30 minutes of non-use the DNA200 goes into sleep mode. I've never had one drain on it's own other than my DX200 (my first DNA200 that had the early firmware). Once updated, it never happened again. As a matter of fact, I had to use recovery charging when it arrived and that Lipo is still working fine.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't own a DNA 200 anything. I've seen this too many times . I was wondering if this occurs because the 200 has no off function. The manufacturer builds it, it sits on the shelf for a long period of time(draining the batt)before being sold and put into the hands of the owner. Over of FT, a buyer of this very mod reported the exact symptoms. He had to have a new batt pack sent to remedy...My reason for suggesting this as a possibility, is I was thinking of buying this very mod, but have been hesitant because of doa batts.
Notice that only one cell in the pack was severely drained the other two were not, if the chip was draining the batteries while inactive all three cells would be drained equally, but because it was only one cell so probably a bad Lipo pack, maybe misconnected or a firmware misconfiguration is causing this.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for clarifying...The batts used seem to be sub par brand is the issue, or old version software. Still hesitant to pull the trigger on this particular mod.
Hope you get things straightened out @centella4u

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@centella4u I just had a thought. The Hotcig DX200 I referred to that had the early firmware also had one cell really low (1.15v) compared to the other 2. I just checked the date the board was programmed via Escribe. It was programmed on June 25, 2015 10:53AM. I wonder if it's possible that the Panzer is using a batch of older boards with that firmware? Just a shot in the dark.
PS You can check when your board was programmed in the General tab in Escribe by clicking on Get Information near the top of the page.

For comparisons sake, my newest DNA200 (Lavabox Blood Red Limited Edition) was programmed on December 17 2015 3:21PM

Cheers,
Steve

Edit I just looked it up - the DX200 cells voltages were -
Cell1 1.81v
Cell2 1.15v
Cell3 1.90V

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just for Shits and Giggles I checked all 6 of my DNA200's for when their board was programmed. I found a couple of interesting things.
1. The Hcigar's not only have the date the board was programmed but also a Mod Configuration Date.
2. The spare/extra Hcigar that has never been used or charged. Cells voltages are as follows:
Cell1 3.91v,
Cell2 3.92V,
Cell3 3.92v.
That mod has been sitting in my closet since October 3, 2015. Conclusion - sitting does not drain the Lipos - at most the cells were .01v higher when it was received (I didn't write the voltage down at the time but all were in the 3.9x range).

Listed by Oldest to Newest (dates received)
1. Hotcig DX200 The only Discharged Lipo upon receipt
Board Programmed on June 25, 2015 10:53AM

2. Hcigar VT200 Serial #3121
Board Programmed on July 30 2015 4:14PM
Mod Configured September 1, 2015 11:24PM

3. Hcigar VT200 Serial #3610 (Spare never used)
Board Programmed on August 13, 2015 1:45PM
Mod Configured on September 8, 2015 10:44PM

4. Black Lavabox
Board Programmed on July 14, 2015 2:38PM

5. Wismec Reuleaux
Board Programmed on November 9, 2015 11:17PM

6. Blood Red Lavabox
Board Programmed on December 17 2015 3:21PM

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to update, I'm still using the white and red Panzer box in question after a friend of mine who's also into flying remote control planes had the batteries charged to full for me. I found out recently that the fire button sometimes when pressed would not released back. Maybe this was the case as the box the Panzer came in was tight fit and somehow the fire button was being pushed down all the time, thus depleting out the batteries.
I'm waiting to receiving the new one from the vendor though.

VU Sponsors