Become a Patron!

Battery Question, How many, how to store, charge, etc.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

I am patiently waiting the arrival of my batteries, charger and ohm meter via vape mail. USPS.com shows my package is out for delivery (was supposed to be here yesterday). I got my Sig 100W plus yesterday but didn't have any batteries for it.:(

Anyway, I will be getting a pair of Sony VTC 4 3.7V 30A 2100mah and Efest 3.7V 35A 2500 mah batteries and a NiteCore D4 (saw that it can get a little hot).

BTW, this is my first experience with mod batteries, I want to make sure I do everything right and learn the correct way to charge and preserve the life of the batts.

Okay, so what is the best way to charge the batteries for the first time? Should I charge them @ 750 mah or at a slower rate (375). I guess if I charge all 4 together, then it will automatically drop down to 375. Could you tell me how long it'll take to charge an 18650 if I only do two @ 750?

Also, do I need to pick up a battery box? I was thinking that I'd just put them in a plastic tupperware container since I didn't order a box.

What about a backup charger, is it overkill or do you guys have one? If I do by one, I'm thinking I'll get an Efest LUC or an Xtar this time.

Finally, how many batteries do I need? Is four enough or should I look into getting some different ones like Samsung or the XJO (something like that) and have them for backup / just rotate out so all of the batteries last longer? I know that I need to pair / marry each set and also put the batts in opposite sides each time to reduce one battery being drained more than the other one by the Sig.

I'm sure I'll have more questions after you guys reply, but as always, thanks in advance!

\/\/()()Ty W00t,
Ki||@

Last edited:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Your batteries will probably come with a storage charge of 3.6v. It may be subjective but it always seems to take longer on the first charge and then quicker on subsequent charges. If it was me I'd pick the first pair, mark them and charge them. 750 is just fine. I regularly charge mine at 1 amp. Once you're up and running you can mark and charge the second pair. How many just depends on your vaping style and how fast you deplete them. Four should get you going and may be just right. Experience is the only real guide to how many to have on hand.
I wouldn't recommend leaving them to bang around in a tupperware container but if you do perhaps rubber band them together with something soft in between so that the only thing they can bang into is plastic and not each other. Battery protectors are available in several styles and are fairly inexpensive.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the reply. So I'll charge the first set (probably the Sony's) and go from there.

I'll be sure to pick up some battery protectors next time I order something.

WOOTY WooT,
Ki||@

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Start out charging two batteries at the .750 setting so you can use them quicker. I am guessing you are looking at about 2-1/2 to 3 hours for the Sony batteries. Two sets of batteries in rotation should be fine unless you are vaping one heck of a lot at higher wattages. And a spare charger is not a bad idea either. You might want to get a two channel charger that will allow you to charge at a 1.0 amp setting for when you are in a hurry.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Start out charging two batteries at the .750 setting so you can use them quicker. I am guessing you are looking at about 2-1/2 to 3 hours for the Sony batteries. Two sets of batteries in rotation should be fine unless you are vaping one heck of a lot at higher wattages. And a spare charger is not a bad idea either. You might want to get a two channel charger that will allow you to charge at a 1.0 amp setting for when you are in a hurry.

@UncleRJ - You were right on the money, the Sony's charged in abot 2 hours & 20 minutes. It's GO TIME!!!

I'll report back shortly!

VU Sponsors