Become a Patron!

Battery resistance

Uncle Kojak

Member For 4 Years
I just measured the internal resistance on (x4) Sony VTC 18650 batteries. The results from the charger are as follows 52, 52, 50, & 45 (measured in milli-ohms). I'm not sure how to interpret the results because I have no idea what the internal resistance of a healthy VTC cell should be. The Sony spec sheet quote an internal resistance of 12 milli-ohms. These batteries are about a year old and have only been used in regulated mods, any advice appreciated. cheers.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've never measured mine, but if you're getting 4x the spec sheet, might be time to think about new ones. How often do you charge them? Most Li chemistry cells are good for ~300 cycles.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Besides increased internal resistance, you should also see less capacity in the cells.

Uncle Kojak

Member For 4 Years
well I bought the Sony VTC's over a year ago, they are currently my oldest batteries and have been re-wrapped once. I do have other batteries but I found these in a drawer and figure I must have put them to one side for a reason. The battery charger has a load of functions I've never used, apart from the usual charge function, there is discharge, discharge refresh, test, and quick test. All I know is that the quick test measures the internal resistance and those are the results I got. The cells seem to be working OK, they seem to hold their charge OK, but I'm thinking maybe it's time to dispose of them now. thanks for replies

::: whoops :::
I just found the invoice, SONY VTC5 2600MAH 30A, Order Date: 24 August 2014,
yes it's time to dispose of these now

Last edited:

VU Sponsors