Become a Patron!

Battery safety question before upgrading

EZG

Member For 2 Years
Hi all.

At the moment I'm running a Zeus RTA on a Revenger X mod with 2 Sony VTC6 at 30-50W, 36W most of the time, and with coils around 0.2-0.4Ω.
I know I'm very safe with this setup as I'm not pushing my batteries at all but I plan on getting a new RTA and that's when I start having doubts about my batteries...

I want to get a dual coil RTA, which will require double the power I'm used to. If I understand correctly I'll have 2 coils instead of 1 so if I want to meet that 36W sweet spot that I have I will need 72W to have 36W per coil. And when I want to push it a bit, I'll need 100W for the 50W per coil.

I was calculating the amp draw like a mechanical mod would require and I was like damn I'm never gonna be safe with this setup how other people power their 0.1Ω builds at 100W and more that's crazy !
Then after I quick search I found out that since it's a regulated mod the coil isn't connected to the battery but to the board so I have to use a different method.
The equation I found is this one and I'd like to know if it's safe to trust it:
Amp draw = Maximum desired watt per battery / Minimum voltage per battery.
Then divide the result by 0.9 to get a safe 10% margin of error.
But even with that I find myself not very safe, if I trust informations I find on Google about the Sony VTC6, the minimum cutoff voltage is 2V, and the maximum power I will use is 100W, so 50W per battery. Using the formula above I find that I will draw 28A, including the 10% error margin. This 28A does not make me feel safe with my 2 Sony VTC6.

That's where I need help lol.
Do you guys consider that I will be safe with those 2 VTC6 at 70-100W ?
Or should I be looking for new batteries before upgrading to a dual coil RTA ? If yes which ones ?

I still dont get how all those people vape on the very popular Smok products at 100W and more on 0.15Ω coils with trash random batteries provided by shops and still feel safe. I guess there is something I didn't understand properly, need knowledge lol.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok
first you may not need double the wattage setting

It depends on the coils

I run dual coil claptons at about 50W they are SS and are about .8 ohms
I run a ss fused clapton that is .8ohms at about 40 watts

Double the coil does not mean double the watts. It just doesnt work that way.
Yes you will probably run the dual coil at higher watts

But anyway
regulated mods
Watts/volts/efficiency
watts=watt you set the mod to
Volts= is the actual voltage in the battery when you push the fire button, but most use the low battery cutoff OF THE MOD not the battery since that will be the highest amp draw
efficiency = if you don't know what it is then .9 is good

so even at 72 watts like you said
72/6.4/.9 =12.5amps

why 6.4V well most mods cutoff at about 3.2 volts per battery. you have 2 batteries so 3.2x2=6.4
some mods cut off lower but 3V is usually the lowest. SO even given that then you rat 13.33333 amps

BASIC rule of thumb 60 watts per battery is safe when using name brand 20 amp or better batteries
SO most 2 battery mods are good up to 120Watts with out worries. above that is quite possible and you should be using 25-30amp batteries but thats another story

your basic misconceptions are
1. that double the coil means double the wattage-- it might but not really
2. in your calculations you need the low voltage cutoff of the mod which is normally about 3.2V per cell

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Mattp169 do the ohms of coil matter using dual 18650 regulated devices? I never gone gone below 0.2 but i'd like to try it. I see people doing it all the time it leads me to believe it's not dangerous..or is it?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@Mattp169 do the ohms of coil matter using dual 18650 regulated devices? I never gone gone below 0.2 but i'd like to try it. I see people doing it all the time it leads me to believe it's not dangerous..or is it?
On a regulated device, the regulator board itself determines what is too low not the batteries. So if it fire sit, it should be safe provided everything is working properly with you mod.

Now sometimes with super low builds it may not let you go to full wattage

It used to be that they only wnet down to like .2 usually nowadays many specs for new mods i see all say .1 and even lower then that for TC

EZG

Member For 2 Years
Thanks for sharing these informations Mattp169. So yeah I had a wrong formula, it's not the cut-off voltage of 1 battery that I need but the mod cut-off voltage x the number of battery. I guess I'll be fine with my 2 Sony VTC6 then, thanks again.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The way I understand it, a regulated won't fire anything too low.
True but if you happen to have a 10 amp Efest labelled at 30 amps in there you can still have issues.
Not as likely though as in a non regulated mod since the battery voltage sag under the high loads will just shut down the mod or cause it to downshift in wattage generally.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its all about the ohms. I single coil at lower ohms will need more power than a dual coil at a high ohm

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its all about the ohms. I single coil at lower ohms will need more power than a dual coil at a high ohm
Depends on the atty....
I vape a 26gs ss316L .4 coil at 16 watts in a Subtank Mini RBA.
Nice vape.

VU Sponsors