Become a Patron!

Battery voltage vs mod voltage?

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off, many thanks to everyone for relaying all your experiences on this site. The VU is a wonderful source of information and has helped me plenty in understanding all of this.

There's one thing I can't find information on that's been bugging me though...

Playing around with steam-engine.org, I found that running a .4 ohm coil at 65 watts leaves me in the safe zone for amperage (12.75) given my battery setup (2x LG HB6, 30 amp limit). I'm certain I'm playing this one way too safe, but anyways...

What I can't wrap my head around is the site states that 5.1 volts are required to push this through, but my batteries only charge to 4.2 volts. I've read of many people pushing their mods much harder than this without issues so I'm sure this is a dumb question, but should I be using a lesser wattage to bring the voltage down to 4.2? If not, what am I missing here? How is my mod able to push 5.1 volts without any complications?

For reference, setup is a Movkin Disguiser 150 watt with an iJoy Reaper Plus tank (stock coil).

Thanks in advance guys.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Basically what a regulated mod does is regulate the voltage.
Even in VW mode the mod has no direct control over the wattage, what it does is check the resistance of the coil then adjust the voltage to accommodate the required wattage.
The mod uses a a boost circuit to raise the voltage beyond what is supplied from the battery and a buck circuit the lower the voltage below it.
In modern mods with multiple batteries a boost circuit is usually not implemented since even when nearly empty two batteries in series can supply around 6.5V (and around 10V with 3 batteries) which is enough for most applications.

And for a mech mod what you see is what you get, you only have what the battery(s) give you and it drops as the battery(s) drain.

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Okay, give you a little math, you are a bit off on you amp calculations.

The Movkin is a dual battery series circuit, in series circuit, voltages are doubled, average battery run voltages are 3.2 to 4.2 volts, in a series those become multiplied by the number of batteries, in this case X2, 6.4 to 8.4 volts, may and amps stay the same as a single battery.
Samsung 25R 2500mah, 20 amp CDR for example in dual series would 8.4v high, 6.2v low, 2500mah, 20amps CDR

Variable wattage devices, the ohms law formula is so
(Set watts/lowest battery voltage before shut off)/90% for mod chipset efficiency=max amps

Using your settings for 65 watts
(65 watts/6.4 lowest volts)=10.15625/0.9=11.2847222 amps you pull at lowest charge
(65 watts/8.4 highest volts)=7.73809524/0.9=8.5978836 amps pulled at fresh charge.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I would use the following formula which would work for both parallel and serial setups:
(max wattage used/voltage cutoff for a single battery/number of batteries)/mod efficiency percentage.

In addition while 3.2V is the default cutoff, some mods cut lower or higher and some have the ability to adjust the cutoff.
90% is the average efficiency, some mods have higher efficiency and some lower.

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Even in VW mode the mod has no direct control over the wattage, what it does is check the resistance of the coil then adjust the voltage to accommodate the required wattage.
The mod uses a a boost circuit to raise the voltage beyond what is supplied from the battery and a buck circuit the lower the voltage below it.

How does it raise the voltage beyond?
Do you mean it lowers amp and increases volt but within the battery or batteries available voltage? The either 4.2 in a single or 8.4 in dual series?
Or does it boost beyond 8.4?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The battery doesn't supply a constant 4.2V
It supplies a maximum of 4.2V and a minimum voltage as defined as the mod's cutoff voltage (usually 3.2V)
So for 2 batteries in series 8.4-6.4

At any given time the mod (in VW) checks the resistance of the coil the required wattage and the currently available voltage from the battery(s) then adjusts it as needed.

In many cases a boost circuit is not implemented with multi battery mods since even at their lowest point you're getting 6.4V which is sufficient for most applications.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter

Last edited:

VU Sponsors