Become a Patron!

Battery wrap tore.

Just got my sigeli 150 tc in the mail today, i plopped in my 18650s in a couple hours ago. I just took them out to charge and notice a tiny rip on the edge top. Positve side on 1 and negative side on the other. They are bran new, why would the paper already rip?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 35

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have three Sigeleis and batteries are a snug fit in all of them, makes it easier to tear a wrap. And wraps aren't all that tough to begin with. I'd re-wrap that one and keep a few on standby.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Upper tear could have just been from dropping it or rubbing against something. Like when taking it out of a charger the spring loaded negative plate might have slid against it. Doesn't appear to be down to the metal though.

Bottom tear was likely from the sigeli. Both my 100 and 150 have that issue. The bottom of the battery compartment has a pretty rough edge and since the top of it has the spring loaded portion it's far easier to put the battery in the upper end of the compartment first, then the lower end, resulting in the wrap tearing on the sharp edge.

Tear on the negative bottom isn't much to worry about.
The whole battery is the negative end except for the one surface with the positive spot.

Wraps are pretty cheap and it's pretty easy to rewrap them if you want to play it safe.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Electrical tape works just fine...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive used Electrical tape but they stop fitting in some mods, Tube mods especially. I love most aftermarket wraps as some of them seem to be tougher then the wrap that was torn off. I buy Clear wrap and either cover new batteries with them to save the original wrap or use them on torn cells, but Ive gotten people freaked out when they see me stick a Bare "looking" battery into a Tube mod LOL
Clear Wraps.jpg Clear Wraps   .jpg Clear Wraps .jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Batteries are pretty cheap. I'd err on the side of safety. Replace it or re-wrap it.

Thanks for the replies. I noticed the mod was the reason for scratching them when i was taking them out. Do you guys think i will be fine with torn edges? The middle body is fine. Its hard to wrap the edge because it wont stick. If not i can get new batteries but how do i prevent this happening to a new set?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Main goal is the avoid having the battery scrape against the edge at the bottom of the battery compartment.

Put each battery in the bottom of the compartment before pushing in the top part.
20160205_210014.jpg

Or, an easier way is to set the top and bottom of each battery partially into the compartment before pushing it all the way in.
20160205_210052.jpg

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ive used Electrical tape but they stop fitting in some mods, Tube mods especially. I love most aftermarket wraps as some of them seem to be tougher then the wrap that was torn off. I buy Clear wrap and either cover new batteries with them to save the original wrap or use them on torn cells, but Ive gotten people freaked out when they see me stick a Bare "looking" battery into a Tube mod LOL
View attachment 40453 View attachment 40454 View attachment 40455
those clear wraps look great!

VU Sponsors