Become a Patron!

BBQ, Smokers and Cooks

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is for anyone who enjoys cooking, bbqing, smoking and so on.

I myself, truly enjoy smoking meats and cheeses. Nothing better to me than spending 12 hours, smoking a brisket while drinking some cold beers!

I built this smoker out of 2, 50 gal drums. Fabricated and welded everything on it myself. The only thing not made by me are the wheels, thermometer and pipe. I made the handle out of a simple dowel rod, sanded stained and clear coated. Fabricated the inside grate (where you place the meat) as a removable piece. It will hold temps very well. In the bottom is a log holder from a fire place with firebricks underneath.
image.jpg
Here are some of my favorite meats to smoke.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I also love to smoke cheese.

image.jpg

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is for anyone who enjoys cooking, bbqing, smoking and so on.

I myself, truly enjoy smoking meats and cheeses. Nothing better to me than spending 12 hours, smoking a brisket while drinking some cold beers!

I built this smoker out of 2, 50 gal drums. Fabricated and welded everything on it myself. The only thing not made by me are the wheels, thermometer and pipe. I made the handle out of a simple dowel rod, sanded stained and clear coated. Fabricated the inside grate (where you place the meat) as a removable piece. It will hold temps very well. In the bottom is a log holder from a fire place with firebricks underneath.
View attachment 45498
Here are some of my favorite meats to smoke.
View attachment 45500 View attachment 45501 View attachment 45502

I also love to smoke cheese.

View attachment 45503
OMFG!

I looked at the pics and something warm started running down my leg!

BTW, my two favorite words are "free" and "food".

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Funny, my daughter had a friend sleep over last night (Easter break here) and when I asked our little guest what she wanted for breakfast she said, "ribs".

I started them in my smoker but it was too windy and cold so put them in the oven at 225F for about 3 hours then added a dry rub and bbq them to finish...but I can't even begin to compete with a master!

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Shoving a half filled beer can up a Chickens ass coating it with butter, garlic, salt rub is as close as I get to sex. ;) I always use Mesquite. :cool:
I'll decide whether or not to be disgusted by your post once I find out what happened to the other half of the beer;)

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have all next week off and I believe I am going to smoke some cheese before it gets too hot outside. Still have 2 or 3 months before that happens and should be able to store quite a bit, but I am really thinking about a brisket this weekend.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Alrighty then!

I wanna know what the sauce is on those ribs:D

This is what I've used the last few times and I like it but am always up for something new;

http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-famous-barbecue-sauce-for-chicken-and-ribs-232433
Those ribs were covered with a dry rub the night before that I mixed up, covered in saran wrap and put in the fridge. The next morning I let the ribs sit out to get to room temp while I get the smoker fired up and rolling.

I smoked them for 4 hours using apple wood chunks and misting them with apple juice every half hour.
At the 4 hour mark, I wrapped in foil and cooked for the remainder of the time. After testing them to see if they were done, I removed foil, covered them with.......I believe it was Sweet Baby Rays sauce, and cooked them just long enough to cook the sauce. If you put the sauce on to early, it will burn. Especially if it is a really sweet sauce.

I will post up my dry rub tomorrow. It is really good! Especially on chicken thighs!

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those ribs were covered with a dry rub the night before that I mixed up, covered in saran wrap and put in the fridge. The next morning I let the ribs sit out to get to room temp while I get the smoker fired up and rolling.

I smoked them for 4 hours using apple wood chunks and misting them with apple juice every half hour.
At the 4 hour mark, I wrapped in foil and cooked for the remainder of the time. After testing them to see if they were done, I removed foil, covered them with.......I believe it was Sweet Baby Rays sauce, and cooked them just long enough to cook the sauce. If you put the sauce on to early, it will burn. Especially if it is a really sweet sauce.

I will post up my dry rub tomorrow. It is really good! Especially on chicken thighs!
They look deluxe my friend!

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks! I remember these ones (is that weird?) Coming out perfect.
I have yet to try making my own sauce but, it is my next venture.
Sauce is easy, the talent is in cooking perfect meat.

The beef we get here in Alberta is stellar and I'll bbq in -30C just to get the flavour out of it. The first time I made tenderloin for my wife she thought I was crazy. She called it a bloody pulp but now it's the only way she'll eat it. A quick 2 minute or so sear on each side then rest for 5, add a little coarse salt and chew your way to ecstasy!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a New Braunsfels pit with a side firebox. Thick 1/4" cast steel, heavy as all get out. I slow bbq my packers cut Briskets in it at 180 for 12-15 hours. Simple bbq mop of cheap yellow mustard, garlic, pepper, salt, dark beer, and a bit of Habanero for a bite. Packer cut briskets weigh in around 8-13 lbs.

I use local woods such as Apple, Cherry, and Maple

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a New Braunsfels pit with a side firebox. Thick 1/4 cast iron, heavy as all get out. I slow bbq my packers cut Briskets in it at 180 for 12-15 hours. Simple bbq mop of cheap yellow mustard, garlic, pepper, salt, dark beer, and a bit of Habanero for a bite. Packer cut briskets weigh in around 8-13 lbs.

I use local woods such as Apple, Cherry, and Maple
actually I had a friend who used piece of staves from old wine barrels, it was really good.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here is the rub I use for pretty much everything.

3/4 Cup firmly packed dark brown sugar.
3/4 Cup white sugar.
1/2 Cup paprika.
1/4 Cup garlic powder.
2 Tbs black pepper.
2 Tbs ginger powder.
2 Tbs onion powder.
2 tsp rosemary powder.

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Good Looking eats right there! I have never done cheese but may soon as I am going to go pick up smoker #3 today
last smoking I did last year
Kansas City bourbon brisket & cranberry Caribbean mango round eye
smoker.jpg

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good Looking eats right there! I have never done cheese but may soon as I am going to go pick up smoker #3 today
View attachment 45535
Cheese is super easy. Great thing about it is if you vacuum pack it, you can make enough to last most of the year. Mine usually gets devoured during football season and at hunting camp though.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you dont like a lot of sauce on ribs, that dry rub I posted above I great for that. The last two racks I did, I didnt sauce at all. Just the rub.

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice now that I will have room for it I will try it out what temp & wood do you use for cheese?

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is the rub I use for pretty much everything.

3/4 Cup firmly packed dark brown sugar.
3/4 Cup white sugar.
1/2 Cup paprika.
1/4 Cup garlic powder.
2 Tbs black pepper.
2 Tbs ginger powder.
2 Tbs onion powder.
2 tsp rosemary powder.
That looks mighty tasty!

Mine is similar but no ginger or rosemary.

I also cut my paprika with a few table spoons of smoked paprika.

Thanks for sharing:)

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I usually do both dry rub 24-48 hours before smoking then about half way through smoking I glaze with sauce

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nice now that I will have room for it I will try it out what temp & wood do you use for cheese?
I use either apple or hickory.

You want to keep the cheese below 90 degrees or it will start to sweat pretty bad and get gooey.

I just use a metal coffee can placed in bottom barrel of smoker. I never have a fire going just a smolder. Put a couple pieces of lump charcoal in coffee can and put the chips on top to smolder and smoke. The temp inside the smoker shouldn't be much more than the outside air temp.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That looks mighty tasty!

Mine is similar but no ginger or rosemary.

I also cut my paprika with a few table spoons of smoked paprika.

Thanks for sharing:)
Actually mine is the smoked as well. I forgot that part.

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Cool Thanks! I may actually get to smoke tomorrow before temps plummet here again on Sunday will see as I will have to try & season the new smoker tonight

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cheese is super easy. Great thing about it is if you vacuum pack it, you can make enough to last most of the year. Mine usually gets devoured during football season and at hunting camp though.
Have you ever tried using a smoked cheese on pizza?

I make pizza from scratch and cook it on my bbq and it's awesome but never thought of using a smoked cheese. I typically use a good mozzarella with some provolone for added stringiness.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have you ever tried using a smoked cheese on pizza?

I make pizza from scratch and cook it on my bbq and it's awesome but never thought of using a smoked cheese. I typically use a good mozzarella with some provolone for added stringiness.
No but, Thats an interesting idea!

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 45535
Very nice! What was your ending temp? I did my last brisket to 195f and It was so tender, ahh, I need to do another brisket!

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I try to finish mine around the 185-190 mark Brisket is my Favorite or country style Ribs. I like baby backs but the country style has more meat on them

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I try to finish mine around the 185-190 mark Brisket is my Favorite or country style Ribs. I like baby backs but the country style has more meat on them
I like the country but the wife prefers baby back.

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Venison is awesome on the smoker too but you have to watch it very close. It can dry out very quick. Well I am off to pick up the new smoker have a great day everyone!

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Venison is awesome on the smoker too but you have to watch it very close. It can dry out very quick. Well I am off to pick up the new smoker have a great day everyone!
An old guy I use to work with made a venison jerky on our work smoker (an old 45 gallon drum the welders got a hold of) and it was to die for!

Never would give me his recipe but we'd bring him in elk and moose roasts, he'd take them home, cut and marinade them then bring them back in a couple days later and smoke them. There was never any left to take home at the end of the day.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
An old guy I use to work with made a venison jerky on our work smoker (an old 45 gallon drum the welders got a hold of) and it was to die for!

Never would give me his recipe but we'd bring him in elk and moose roasts, he'd take them home, cut and marinade them then bring them back in a couple days later and smoke them. There was never any left to take home at the end of the day.
Sounds great! Have not tried that yet but its definitely on my list.

VU Sponsors