Become a Patron!

Beast coils and quality control issues

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Look here's my deal. I have several smok tanks and they all work really well once I stopped him from leaking. But there is a new generation of Tanks out there that accept baby Beast coils. If smok quality control is so bad why do all of these manufacturers allow their units to accept baby Beast coils? Now we have a new fat rabbit by hellvape. It accepts baby Beast coils if smok is so horrible why don't we push it out as a manufacturer. And do something worthwhile I own a dead rabbit RDA and I love it. I have an arrow sub ohm tank and I love it. Why do the competitors make tanks that accept smok coils? Ione smok tanks and I like them. But if smok products are so horrible with their quality control why does the people in competition make smok compatible coils to their tanks?

mkbkr1

Member For 4 Years
There are quite a few coils that are interchangeable with the baby beast coils. Vaporesso NRG and Geekvape Super Mesh coils just to make a few. It is a popular size and as long as other manufacturers make compatible coils, then they will continue making tanks that accept them. It doesn't mean you need to use Smok coils. I actually prefer the Geekvape coils myself. I use them in my Big Baby Beast and my Vaporesso SKRR-S.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There are quite a few coils that are interchangeable with the baby beast coils. Vaporesso NRG and Geekvape Super Mesh coils just to make a few. It is a popular size and as long as other manufacturers make compatible coils, then they will continue making tanks that accept them. It doesn't mean you need to use Smok coils. I actually prefer the Geekvape coils myself. I use them in my Big Baby Beast and my Vaporesso SKRR-S.

I use HW 1&2 in my BB & BBB. Vapresso I think? Good coils. I have not had issues with authentic smok coils. However the hw1 and twos are slightly less expensive and work just as well. I also use the geekvape mesh coils for the same tanks. They work extremely well however are a little bit more costly. I just don't get it if everyone is so down on smok why do they keep reproducing tanks that accept smok coils? Other than smok has saturated the industry and they're always available. If you make a tank make it with confidence design a coil and continue to make that coil it should last a long time otherwise it tells me you have made a dysfunctional product.

mkbkr1

Member For 4 Years
Smok coils will usually last me 4-5 days. Vaporesso coils, 10-12 days. Geekvape coils, 2 and a half to 3 weeks. I do vape rather heavily, 20-25mls a day. DIY mixed berry flavor, max vg(around 89%), and 2.5mg/ml nicotine. This is why I won't use Smok coils. I have no problem with their tanks, but have had bad luck with their mods (3 different ones lasting around 6 months each), and IMO their coils are trash. You have to realize, these other companies producing tanks that can accept baby beast coils usually have their own coils. It's just that they're compatible with that style coil.

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I loved the Baby Beast for flavor but loathed getting a 5pk and only 2-3 would work, some wouldn’t even thread on wtf. I found the Vaporesso coils to be just as good in the flavor department and qc was dang good. My Smok mods and tanks were great but those damn coils lol.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why do other makers make their attys to use beast coils?
Profit.
Smok stuff is known for quality control issues and overall short lives of their mods.
However they have a large market share of the vape market, at least in the US.
I assume that smok products have a pretty good profit margin for the retailers?

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes every brought up valid points and good insight. I actually knew all those answers I just had a couple of cocktails and wanted to vent. I guess folks that use tanks should be greatfull that coils are interchangable, hence available. I also like the Geekvape coils they have a nice lifespan. My favorite tank is a Og Crown. Coils are still available and are inexpensive. Also they last a long time. Like 3-4 weeks if I am diligent. So all that said I am trying to go all rebuildable. But sometimes a tank is just easiest.

mkbkr1

Member For 4 Years
According to my experience, I personally used smok tank and it is really a good one.
I have nothing against their tanks, as I stated. I still use my Baby and Big Baby Beast. I just won't waste my money on their coils.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The RBA head is amazing for this device.
You pay as much for the RBA head as a pack of coils but it lasts for years instead of weeks.
All you have to do is build dual coils on a velocity style deck, wick, and you are set.

Any unit that accepts the baby beast coils will accept the baby beast RBA coil head.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This is it right here:
upload_2019-8-6_2-12-57.png

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have pif'd my Baby Beast tanks, two of them to a vapping family in my neighborhood. That leaves me with two Big Babies both with rba decks. I also have a Prince with rba deck. These tanks perform flawlessly a majority of the time. For the purchase price I consider them excellent. Was recently blessed with some coil heads. Those are for the wife as she will not even try to learn how to build. She will however change a coil. She even knows to change the glass when she needs to switch from a rba to a coil. So having never used the rba in the BB wondering if it will fit in the Aero tank that came with the Legend?

mkbkr1

Member For 4 Years
You pay as much for the RBA head as a pack of coils but it lasts for years instead of weeks.
All you have to do is build dual coils on a velocity style deck, wick, and you are set.

Any unit that accepts the baby beast coils will accept the baby beast RBA coil head.
No it won't, the RBA deck is slightly taller than the factory coil. That's why it comes with a taller piece of glass. It is not interchangeable without an extended glad piece.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
No it won't, the RBA deck is slightly taller than the factory coil. That's why it comes with a taller piece of glass. It is not interchangeable without an extended glad piece.

You use the bubble glass?
Is that why the glass is important?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
two Big Babies both with rba decks. I also have a Prince with rba deck.

To me the Prince RBA deck is a little better but that's just a matter of preference.

mkbkr1

Member For 4 Years
The RBA deck for the Baby Beast and Big Baby Beast come as a kit with 2 coils, cotton, spare o-rings, and slightly taller glass. This taller piece of glass is necessary due to the RBA deck being slightly taller than the factory coils. That means you won't be able to use the RBA deck in other tanks that can use the baby beast coils. Unless, of course, you are somehow able to find a glass that fits that tank and is a couple millimeters taller.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am currently using Baby Beast .5Ω Coils and getting 6,500 puffs out of them in TC Mode with my own Tobacco DIY E-Liquids, but I prime and break them in properly according to how I feel what is proper. Never had one of those suspected defective coils. User Error is the most common PC Problem and IMO it goes for coils also.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have nothing against their tanks, as I stated. I still use my Baby and Big Baby Beast. I just won't waste my money on their coils.
The RBA deck for these tanks is eyebrow raisingly good. To run it in the BBB you need the larger glass which Kidney Puncher has in an assortment of colors for like 3 bucks. It works in the BB outta the box.

I have no reason to ever again put a subohm coil in my BBB.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am currently using Baby Beast .5Ω Coils and getting 6,500 puffs out of them in TC Mode with my own Tobacco DIY E-Liquids, but I prime and break them in properly according to how I feel what is proper. Never had one of those suspected defective coils. User Error is the most common PC Problem and IMO it goes for coils also.
I've had one bad one. There ARE fakes out there though. I also suspect those have made their way into a good many Smok tanks.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I use HW 1&2 in my BB & BBB. Vapresso I think? Good coils. I have not had issues with authentic smok coils. However the hw1 and twos are slightly less expensive and work just as well. I also use the geekvape mesh coils for the same tanks. They work extremely well however are a little bit more costly. I just don't get it if everyone is so down on smok why do they keep reproducing tanks that accept smok coils? Other than smok has saturated the industry and they're always available. If you make a tank make it with confidence design a coil and continue to make that coil it should last a long time otherwise it tells me you have made a dysfunctional product.

I think you answered your own question here. "Other than Smok has saturated the industry and they're always available." While you might not be able to find Geekvape or Vaporesso coils at your nearest B&M vape store, you WILL find Smok coils.

I also think the majority of the bad rap Smok has had over the years has been because of their mods and coils, not their tanks. The fact that they offer RBAs for the Beast series and the TFV4 is the saving grace for the tanks. Every RBA I've had has worked well, if and when I was able to figure out how to wick it, and takes the cost of operation down to nearly nothing.

Most products are planned for a certain life expectancy. When that life expectancy is up, you have to buy more. It's present in car parts, in home appliances, electronics, all over the place. Perhaps Smok does not make a large percentage of their money in hardware, but they plan to make a not-so-small fortune selling less than stellar coils. At $10 or so for three, and presence in nearly every vape store in the country, you can see how that could amount to a staggering amount of money over time, and the fact that you might get a dud coil in a pack every so often just bumps that number up ever so slightly, over and over again.

Now, the real question becomes "why do vape stores focus so closely on Smok?" From the perspective of a business owner, who is running that business to make money, I have to believe that their profit margin on Smok products is probably better than a lot of other brands. That, in my mind, is the only answer that makes any sense when so many shops carry Smok and push them on newbies like there's nothing else worth having.

All this just my two cents, of course.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If I were to blindfold somebody here and hand them a setup with the BB RBA head in it, they would be shocked when I took the blindfold off. They would think it was some quite decent RTA.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like my rba's that is what keeps me using my Smok tanks. Otherwise I would have been done with them a long time ago. I do keep a few coil heads around for the wife though.

VU Sponsors