Become a Patron!

Becoming a hermit is starting to look good.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
WHY cannae a man and a woman just have a bit of convo without one forcing it to progress into something else???? Och, pets are awesome.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Human nature. A couple years of evolution may be to blame. or you may just be irresistible.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Human nature. A couple years of evolution may be to blame. or you may just be irresistible.
I'm whatever the opposite of irresistible is. I think I put off an air of inaccessible...add to that, that it's no secret that I'm a Secular Franciscan street minister who is celibate...and I think I wind up being a safe in a crowd of safe crackers.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@franciscan , details please ... pics, too, if possible :D :D :D

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hello miss. My name is ace. Im considering becoming a celibate franciscan. Would you like to talk me out of it? Please?;)

(NOT making fun of you, your life, or your faith) ((at least not with malice)):D

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I thought it was the perfect c-block, but apparently not lol

Reactions: Ace

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
@franciscan , details please ... pics, too, if possible :D :D :D
Details regarding?
8G4WM3g.jpg

Reactions: jae

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
oh lol, I refuse to date

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really need to start wearing my u.k. again. Wheres the belt from? Thats what im missing.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I really need to start wearing my u.k. again. Wheres the belt from? Thats what im missing.
I dont remember but HolyHeckUsa.com has some very nice ones for $85

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Key word: secular. ;-)

When you venture into the world, the world ventures into you also. Lotta lonely peeps on the Interwebs.

Good on ye though, I've been pretty much a hermit for years. People suck, in a general sense. I have a good old-soul cat, I'm fine. :)

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
As a Franciscan, I want nothing for myself (most will not understand that mindset). After two failed marriages and dozens of other relationships...I'm just tired of the process. I spend my days in ministry (not the method that most would expect at all), and meet so many lovely people. I spend the time needed and move along, if it is meant that we will run into one another, so be it. I live a very simple life, and strive HARD to keep it that way.....but am a complex individual. I just don't expect someone else to be able to live with that, but if it is the will of God for me to be with someone, then I will accept that...otherwise, I have learned to like the way things are.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Took me about 30 years to learn that happiness is a fleeting thing, but that contentment is a far better goal.

The hardest thing to be, is yourself. And, to be OK with that. :)

I don't even try for relationships or such things anymore, I just try to have a good day, then, perhaps another.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I finally AM myself. I led a very despicable life, and became a Franciscan only three years ago....now if you had told me four years ago that I would feel the way I do, and do what I do....I'd have declared you barking mad, and sent you off to be drug tested.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I finally AM myself. I led a very despicable life, and became a Franciscan only three years ago....now if you had told me four years ago that I would feel the way I do, and do what I do....I'd have declared you barking mad, and sent you off to be drug tested.

Well, then you are doing well. I've left most religiosity behind, but still have some pull towards my Celtic roots, if that is any real thing these days. :D

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks! Really considering biting the bullet and getting a full kilt and kit. all your pics have it bouncing around in the noggin again.
I dont remember but HolyHeckUsa.com has some very nice ones for $85

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, then you are doing well. I've left most religiosity behind, but still have some pull towards my Celtic roots, if that is any real thing these days. :D
Part of the problem with a great many people is that they DO believe in god (I did not capitalise on purpose). God answers to hundreds of names, and faith cannot be defined in human terms. When an atheist says they do not believe in God, I completely understand. What they do not believe in, is man's definition of the divine. Faith and religion are two separate things....for example; Faith is coffee and religion is a cup. You don't NEED the cup in order to enjoy the coffee....it just merely assigns quantity and method of drinking so it can be explained to another person.
No spirituality is wrong....it just has a different "cup" that hold it!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks! Really considering biting the bullet and getting a full kilt and kit. all your pics have it bouncing around in the noggin again.
There are very few things that outwardly project masculinity!

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually say that im spiritual but not religious and leave it at that. Most people dont get that. Then again most people dont seem to have a working moral compass either.
Part of the problem with a great many people is that they DO believe in god (I did not capitalise on purpose). God answers to hundreds of names, and faith cannot be defined in human terms. When an atheist says they do not believe in God, I completely understand. What they do not believe in, is man's definition of the divine. Faith and religion are two separate things....for example; Faith is coffee and religion is a cup. You don't NEED the cup in order to enjoy the coffee....it just merely assigns quantity and method of drinking so it can be explained to another person.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
My favourite thing to do is, invite a friend who is an atheist to a movie, then pick them up late enough that you might not make it on time..........when about halfway there, state what time the movie starts, then what time it is presently. When the friend says "I hope we make it in time"........ask them how science defines "hope", then look smug the rest of the way to the theatre.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I agree. I hate to make an obvious quote, but here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws

I was raised with both a belief in a singular deity and in science and nature. My schooling was 7 acres of old farm, a telescope, microscope and a bunch of cats. :D

Then, I was adopted by some charismatic Christians...that really didn't go well. I gave it a go, but ultimately, I just couldn't really commit to it. Sure, I did street ministries too, taught Sunday school, youth camps, the whole 9 yards.

Here's the problem:

I believe that what we as humans perceive as a god, is quite possibly a "higher power" of non-earthly origins.
All cultures have a deity mythos, but entirely fractured. They all learned it somehow though. Globally.

That we may well have been ourselves, a science or colonization experiment by beings millions of years more advanced than we in the Stone ages, is a possibility, IMO. To those a Millennia ago, the current state of Man would appear as gods as well. ;-)

Also, the science of the persistence of energy cannot be ignored. We are electrochemical and bio-mechanical being that essentially run on electricity.
Our brains contain not just storage and processing, but all that we are contained in a neural network in a 3D space over Time. But where the theistic thing comes into play is that 4th dimension...do we persist after death? Do we have more than one lineal life?

Well, since energy cannot be destroyed, so also yes, the "essence" of us, would have to persist in some state, I think.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My favourite thing to do is, invite a friend who is an atheist to a movie, then pick them up late enough that you might not make it on time..........when about halfway there, state what time the movie starts, then what time it is presently. When the friend says "I hope we make it in time"........ask them how science defines "hope", then look smug the rest of the way to the theatre.
Science would define hope in a similar way that music defines fleas. Put simply, it's not the kind of thing science normally addresses. The range of human emotions come from chemicals being released according to various stimuli and swirling around in our brains, if you really want to know.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Sadly, it does exist that as humans, we seek to quantify things so that we can hope to fully grasp it's existence. Faith does not allow for this, and sometimes I think it is necessary in order for us to give our brains a rest. I resist the tendency to preach with words, I choose rather to preach by my actions. It is attributed to my patron saint Francis of Assisi, although he never actually said it...."Go out and preach the Gospel, and if necessary, use words". By doing this, one can safely, and with 100% certainty, not be labeled a hypocrite.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, since energy cannot be destroyed, so also yes, the "essence" of us, would have to persist in some state, I think.
When we die we get colder, to room temperature. Our heat, or the remainder of our bodies' energy after all biological processes cease, gets radiated away.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Science would define hope in a similar way that music defines fleas. Put simply, it's not the kind of thing science normally addresses. The range of human emotions come from chemicals being released according to various stimuli and swirling around in our brains, if you really want to know.
I agree to an extent. If you look at the literal meaning of "emotion", it is an outward expression, and not the feeling itself, or more specifically, the source of that feeling. Photosynthesis is the explanation of the process of plant growth....but then you must trace back to the origin of the component atoms that contribute to that process. Cern may be able to explain this in the end....or from a purely theistic standpoint.....Cern may be unable to.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
When we die we get colder, to room temperature. Our heat, or the remainder of our bodies' energy after all biological processes cease, gets radiated away.
Very true, but the body is only for mobility. This can only explain a fraction of the human existence. It explains that we exist, but not why.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Again, in the grand scheme of things, and taking into account that our lives are finite, and that when we die, all accounting of our existence dies with us.....the fact that we invest so much in the explanation of "things" is merely for our entertainment.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Well, my father was raised on a farm, taught chemistry, was a pathologist and part-time coroner and even he didn't believe that is the sum of human existence.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree to an extent. If you look at the literal meaning of "emotion", it is an outward expression, and not the feeling itself, or more specifically, the source of that feeling. Photosynthesis is the explanation of the process of plant growth....but then you must trace back to the origin of the component atoms that contribute to that process. Cern may be able to explain this in the end....or from a purely theistic standpoint.....Cern may be unable to.
All of the atoms in the universe were born in the nuclear flames of bursting stars, which themselves were born from the detritus left over from earlier generations of same, back down to the weird, lawless, primordial goop from whence existence itself manifested.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Again, in the grand scheme of things, and taking into account that our lives are finite, and that when we die, all accounting of our existence dies with us.....the fact that we invest so much in the explanation of "things" is merely for our entertainment.

That's almost existential of you. ;-)

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
But how did the goop come into being?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That's almost existential of you. ;-)
Franciscans are very existential...occasionally Buddhist....and more gnostic than the Holy See would be willing to accept lol

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah, it's getting late and I've had enough barley-pops for the eve, plus a new Ep of Haven is out...

A pleasure discussing with ya gents though. :)

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok. So im gonna pull this up into the shallower end of the pool.
Aside from the UKs where do you purchase your kilts?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok. So im gonna pull this up into the shallower end of the pool.
Aside from the UKs where do you purchase your kilts?
All of my formals and casuals come from Lochcarron of Selkirk Scotland

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
my formals are 7, and my casuals are 5. 8's are generally for lads with empire waists of over 44"

VU Sponsors