*** Before you copy and repost a recipe, please read this ***

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - Recipes' started by HeadInClouds, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Smoky Blue

Smoky Blue VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:

no worries.. just trying to keep every one safe, and not sorry..
    others may view it differently.. but i know how i feel.. anything i post out in the open here on site.. is free game..
    my recipes have gone world wide more than once.. however..
    if i catch anyone selling tho.. i will stop posting and contact an attorney..
    i already did for one b&m.. these are given freely, so others might learn from my mistakes :)

2. Laughmore

Laughmore Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    What's working well for me is using hotrods calculator and saving the "portable folder" in my dropbox folder. Inventory and recipes are saved, encrypted, private, and accessible anywhere! Well with a PC anyway. I often copy/paste a recipe text or entire thread into a new recipe's notes and dial & click in the details/ingredients later when it's time to mix. Before I was using a phone app which worked ok but I like this backup solution muuuch better, and this app can grow with me, so many features and tools. I recommend the portable version, PM me if you need help <3 I don't have to do anything twice anymore and need to share this loooove

Some people like index cards too, more ideas for your recipe vault management... almost grabbed a rolodex at a garage sale for my vape station. Shoulda.

If you feel like reading a novel, grab your tooter and read on... Some of my favorite juices were from a vendor that stopped selling anything DIY or juice related, and 3 years later I asked/emailed if he still had the recipe for a few of the juices I remembered. His recipe book was lost during a relocation. I get sick when I see the email in my inbox, so much research and strokes of genius - gone.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    LoriQ, misswish and Smoky Blue like this.
  3. Smoky Blue

Smoky Blue VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    and yes, make back ups..
    dont be like me and end up loosing your work ;) it sucks!!

Dixie1954 and Laughmore like this.
  4. MySaladDays

MySaladDays New Member

Blog Posts:
    One way to somewhat protect your work, and at least show it is yours and "your's first" is to start a blog with your recipes.

Publish your recipe on your blog first.......then post on forums an hour or so later.

That way, you have timestamps on your blog.

Place a small statement on your blog that your recipes will be duplicate posted on *forum of your choice* (insert name here) and that appearances on other internet sites require permission.

That is pretty much incontrovertible evidence of ownership. A blog will be primary source, and you will simply be "copying your recipe" to forums in as goodwill sharing.

It also provides you with 2 sources to show that recipes were lifted w/out permission.

vape.queen likes this.
  5. vape.queen

vape.queen Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Good looking out! What made you post this? Did something happen?

6. Laughmore

Laughmore Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I think this is the common wisdom for foodies sharing confection recipes on Facebook too. This kind of consideration will hopefully be a part of vaping community culture in the future, all willing.

vape.queen likes this.
  7. Bobx

Bobx Bronze Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    That sounds great on paper but how is that going to stop someone from profiting from your hard work??

Let's Just Say: I am a crooked ejuice vender making my own juices. I take one of HIC's recopies and name it something different. HIC call's it "X" and I call it "Y". How is anyone going to know that I stole the "Y", ( that I make and sell to $20) from HIC??

Smoky Blue likes this.
  8. piemasher

piemasher New Member

Blog Posts:
    True.. and couldn't they just change one ingredient and it be "there's" again by adding or subtracting a drop or something? I think the recipes are going to have to end up being completely secret.... or it will get boosted. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TheIrishVapor likes this.
  9. SquareFeet

SquareFeet New Member

Blog Posts:
    Apologies for resurrecting a dead (albeit stickied) post, but you've given me an idea @cjcaddy. With a few people talking about not sharing recipes anymore because of copying/reposting/reattributing/etc., and your mention of cooks and bakers, how about a bunch of people got together and made a book of e-juice recipes, and sold it? I know it wouldn't stop the copying, and might be an idea dead in the water because of that, but at least there's a higher chance of getting paid for recipes/combinations.

One of the best cookery books I've ever come across is The Flavour Thesaurus, and it would be great to get something like that for juices, possibly interspersed with actual recipes; or maybe mostly recipes with interesting flavour combinations as the minor part.

Just a thought...Would anyone be up for this?

10. jant

jant New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi Hic,I am new to vaping and diying I love your recipes and have made quite a few of them .I am using eliquid calculator and storing the ones I make there
    I have kept all the ones you requested not to repost private and gave you credit for all recipes I have used of yours is that acceptable or would you rather I just copy to my own files.Thanks for all the useful information and great recipes.

HeadInClouds likes this.
  11. jennyyili

jennyyili Member For 1 Year Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    hahahaha

12. GT_1955

GT_1955 Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Just a note on internet copyright from an Australian perspective: a 332kb pdf download available here: http://www.copyright.org.au/acc_prod/AsiCommon/Controls/BSA/Downloader.aspx?iDocumentStorageKey=5b57d5f0-ede7-4542-b89b-7cf30f8a11a1&iFileTypeCode=PDF&iFileName=Internet - Copying and Downloading

If I understand it correctly, everything posted on a forum is copyrighted and therefore protected (at least under Aussie Law). Some material made freely available on the internet is distributed by its creators under Creative Commons licences. This is what I'd do if I still wanted people to download and use my original work (which includes recipes).

13. FrostyMtl

FrostyMtl Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    HIC, Did you finally finish purging all of your rec's from the forum so you can sell them?
    You left a lot of posts that said; "."
    Kind if lame IMHO. Although I really liked your FA flavor reviews.
    I don't really mind because we don't have the same kind of taste buds.

14. Cramptholomew

Cramptholomew Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Wah wah wah waaaaah... Ba dum tss!

Foggz, Teresa P, Daintanee and 2 others like this.
  15. wllmc

wllmc Yes there are typo's and no I do not care :) VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    :giggle:

Teresa P and Daintanee like this.
  16. Daintanee

Daintanee Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I second this motion!!

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Teresa P and wllmc like this.
  17. HeadInClouds

HeadInClouds Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Unlisted Vendor Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    If you had followed along at the time, you'd know those were mostly recipes I had over on ecx prior to 2015, when I was pretty new to DIY. None of them are recipes I use or list anywhere else now, and I've added more here on VU since then. Sometimes manufacturers change their flavorings & they don't work the same way in recipes; new/better flavorings become available that make old recipes obsolete; new info is released about flavoring components that many chose to avoid; and to put it nicely, not all recipes stand the test of time. Who wants something they no longer feel is good out there with their name on it? I don't. If you have never mixed a batch of a recipe you developed years ago and realized it simply doesn't work any more, you're light years ahead of me. (You'll notice my notes on FA flavors also change frequently. That's because I'm constantly trying new DIY ideas & new flavorings, thus discovering new qualities in the flavorings I use.)

Mundo, Daintanee and Huckleberried like this.
  18. FrostyMtl

FrostyMtl Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Hi HIC,
    Goods points, well made, as always!
    Have been reading your posts since 2014. :)
    I agree with you, been playing with LB vanilla ice cream recently.
    What do you think about the Inawera's reformulations?