Become a Patron!

Best 18650 batteries for Yihi SXmini Q Mini

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
My current batteries have served me well for a long time but they are starting to fade so I figured it was time to retire them.
My SXmini Q Mini is a dual 18650 device so I'm
Looking for a pair of very high quality batteries that will not crap out in a couple of months.
I'm a little out of date with modern battery models so I figured I'd ask the experts..... What is the best 18650 model & brand for a dual battery device?
I usually vape with a .5-.6 coil between 30-40 watts so nothing too demanding.
Thanks guys

Sent from my Apple Newton using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would recommend something like the LG HG2, Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6. There will be plenty of headroom in the amp department, and they have a nice 3000MAH capacity to keep you running for a long time between charges :).

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I would recommend something like the LG HG2, Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6. There will be plenty of headroom in the amp department, and they have a nice 3000MAH capacity to keep you running for a long time between charges :).

Thanks for the swift reply!
Up until now I have been using Samsung 25R's which have served me well but the larger capacity of the 30Q's has peaked my interest.

Last edited:

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I run the 30Qs in my Lost Vape Triade (3x 18650). Ridiculous battery life as I'm a 40-70 watt vaper. The Sony's are really good too. I'd pick whichever is cheapest from a reputable battery dealer.
74247d37d06ef4a5f6b3753a0eccc43c.jpg

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I run the 30Qs in my Lost Vape Triade (3x 18650). Ridiculous battery life as I'm a 40-70 watt vaper. The Sony's are really good too. I'd pick whichever is cheapest from a reputable battery dealer.
74247d37d06ef4a5f6b3753a0eccc43c.jpg

Thanks, I'm no expert on batteries which is why I started this thread.
How would you say the 30Q compares to the 25R's I'm currently replacing?
From what info I have gathered the 30Q may be better for me as I vape under 50W and do not need the extra amps the 25R gives. The 30Q maintains better over discharge so will give a longer battery life.
The 30Q is only advertised as a 15a battery but this list shows that it may actually also be a 20a battery which if correct makes it a longer lasting equivalent to the 25R.

Last edited:

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Let's say you're running 0.40 ohms @ 50 watts. The calculator I use says you are drawing 11 amps. So batteries rated for 15 (or 20 amps as tested by battery mooch) will be fine.
300mAh on the 30q's is what gives you longer battery life over the 25r's.
0f030154c842b8387497bf038bf303c8.jpg

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, I'm no expert on batteries which is why I started this thread.
How would you say the 30Q compares to the 25R's I'm currently replacing?
From what info I have gathered the 30Q may be better for me as I vape under 50W and do not need the extra amps the 25R gives. The 30Q maintains better over discharge so will give a longer battery life.
The 30Q is only advertised as a 15a battery but this list shows that it may actually also be a 20a battery which if correct makes it a longer lasting equivalent to the 25R.

The 30Q is a great battery, out of 30 or so 18650's which are mostly 25R's and HE4's the 30Q is fantastic. I am slowly replacing the 25R's and HE4's with 30Q's as they suit me well, as I don't vape at very high power levels.

From Mooch's tests, he rates the 30Q at 20A as you mention vs Samsung's rating of 15A. As you are vaping under 50W with a dual 18650 mod you aren't even hitting 15, around 8A before efficiency so won't even be stressing the 30Q by any means.
Remember resistance doesn't matter to your batteries with a regulated mod.

For your use, it will last longer than the 25R. In some cases the 25R is a better choice, but with a regulated mod at around up too say 60W per battery (Mooch has even said up to 75 to me, so even more than this if you don't mind pushing them) the 3000MAH cells are a better choice.

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The 30Q is a great battery, out of 30 or so 18650's which are mostly 25R's and HE4's the 30Q is fantastic. I am slowly replacing the 25R's and HE4's with 30Q's as they suit me well, as I don't vape at very high power levels.

From Mooch's tests, he rates the 30Q at 20A as you mention vs Samsung's rating of 15A. As you are vaping under 50W with a dual 18650 mod you aren't even hitting 15, around 8A before efficiency so won't even be stressing the 30Q by any means.
Remember resistance doesn't matter to your batteries with a regulated mod.

For your use, it will last longer than the 25R. In some cases the 25R is a better choice, but with a regulated mod at around up too say 60W per battery (Mooch has even said up to 75 to me, so even more than this if you don't mind pushing them) the 3000MAH cells are a better choice.

Thanks for the great reply. I kind of figured the 30Q was a better option for me as I rarely never go above 50w, I think 55w is the highest I have ever needed to venture.
What gets me confused is how this differs for a dual battery regulated mod. If battery A operates better than battery B at say 50w then does this mean that on a dual battery device that battery A is still the better option at 100w?

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the great reply. I kind of figured the 30Q was a better option for me as I rarely never go above 50w, I think 55w is the highest I have ever needed to venture.
What gets me confused is how this differs for a dual battery regulated mod. If battery A operates better than battery B at say 50w then does this mean that on a dual battery device that battery A is still the better option at 100w?

No problem, glad to help. It seems the 30Q would be a good choice.

Yes, it would work that way. For example, say a single battery mod cuts off at 3.1V, at 50W that would be drawing 16.12A before efficiency. In a dual 18650 mod, at 100W, assuming the mod uses the same cutoff per cell of 3.1V, so 6.2V, it would be drawing the same 16.12A from both batteries, so the better performer at 50W single would be better at 100W dual.

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
No problem, glad to help. It seems the 30Q would be a good choice.

Yes, it would work that way. For example, say a single battery mod cuts off at 3.1V, at 50W that would be drawing 16.12A before efficiency. In a dual 18650 mod, at 100W, assuming the mod uses the same cutoff per cell of 3.1V, so 6.2V, it would be drawing the same 16.12A from both batteries, so the better performer at 50W single would be better at 100W dual.

Thanks that helped.
One more thing. When calculating amps how does the equation differ for a dual battery setup to calculate the amps being used for each battery?

Last edited:

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You have to understand the difference between batteries wired in series vs wired parallel.
On my Therion dna75 the batteries are wired in series. So if I had 2 x 25 amp batteries I could conceivably draw 50 amps at 1 time. And if each battery was rated for 2500mAh I would be able to run them at 50 amps for the life cycle of 2500mAh.

On my Therion dna 166, the 2 batteries are wired in parallel. So I'm limited to a maximum of 25 amps with the same 2 batteries as I'm unable to add 25 amps to 25 amps. But I now have a life of 5000 mAh. So in theory I can run this mod at 25 amps for 5000mAh life cycle.

With your Yihi model, the batteries are wired in parallel. So assuming you had 2x 25 amp batteries you would be limited to 25 amps at any one moment. But you will have 500mAh life cycle.

Note: This is a gross simplification of what's going on, and doesn't take into consideration of other factors.
c1958588abd874b94950f3d9472e6da6.jpg

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You have to understand the difference between batteries wired in series vs wired parallel.
On my Therion dna75 the batteries are wired in series. So if I had 2 x 25 amp batteries I could conceivably draw 50 amps at 1 time. And if each battery was rated for 2500mAh I would be able to run them at 50 amps for the life cycle of 2500mAh.

On my Therion dna 166, the 2 batteries are wired in parallel. So I'm limited to a maximum of 25 amps with the same 2 batteries as I'm unable to add 25 amps to 25 amps. But I now have a life of 5000 mAh. So in theory I can run this mod at 25 amps for 5000mAh life cycle.

With your Yihi model, the batteries are wired in parallel. So assuming you had 2x 25 amp batteries you would be limited to 25 amps at any one moment. But you will have 500mAh life cycle.

Note: This is a gross simplification of what's going on, and doesn't take into consideration of other factors.

Once again, thanks for the education. This has helped me loads.

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Perhaps, but more helpful members of the community seem happy to help and educate others as well as making a suggestion.

How is someone who clearly has a biased opinion of which battery is best "more helpful"? Also, batteries in series vs. batteries in parallel makes no difference whatsoever as to which battery is best for a regulated mod so... go to Mooch's blog and learn from him instead of believing those who seem happy to keep spreading all kinds of ridiculous misinformation with each and every single opportunity that arises.

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
How is someone who clearly has a biased opinion of which battery is best "more helpful"? Also, batteries in series vs. batteries in parallel makes no difference whatsoever as to which battery is best for a regulated mod so... go to Mooch's blog and learn from him instead of believing those who seem happy to keep spreading all kinds of ridiculous misinformation with each and every single opportunity that arises.

The VTC6 was already recommended in the second post but thanks anyway.

Last edited:

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I was just about to research whether my mod ran in series or parallel moments before reading your post. It seems you answered my question for me. Thanks again

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was just about to research whether my mod ran in series or parallel moments before reading your post. It seems you answered my question for me. Thanks again

Glad to help. Just returning the favor done for me awhile back.

As I and others have mentioned in earlier posts both the 30q and vtc6 are great batteries. If you do read mooch's test you'll see that they are very very close in performance with the edge going to the vtc6. For me the performance difference is negligible. Hence I make my battery purchase decision based upon price and availability from a reliable store.

Only buy your batteries from a reputable source. Avoid Amazon and ebay. There's been numerous reports of people buying (fake) "rewrapped" batteries from the above listed stores.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The VTC6 was already recommended in the second post but thanks anyway.

It was, but for anyone who might stumble across this thread that very clearly has the word "best" in the title it would really be nice if people could just cut the usual old crap about the Samsung and say the VTC6 is the best, plain and simple. ;)

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Glad to help. Just returning the favor done for me awhile back.

As I and others have mentioned in earlier posts both the 30q and vtc6 are great batteries. If you do read mooch's test you'll see that they are very very close in performance with the edge going to the vtc6. For me the performance difference is negligible. Hence I make my battery purchase decision based upon price and availability from a reliable store.

Only buy your batteries from a reputable source. Avoid Amazon and ebay. There's been numerous reports of people buying (fake) "rewrapped" batteries from the above listed stores.

Yea, I fell for that a couple years ago with some fake AW's. I only buy batteries from specific stores now. VTC6's are a bitch to get hold of locally for me for some reason. I can find only a couple of stores stocking them but I have no idea who they are so I'll avoid for how. My regular trusted stores stock the 30Q's so for now I'll go with them. As soon as I find a pair of VTC6's from a reputable local store I will definitely try them out.
Thanks for the help!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to be clear, I am not exactly biased towards the 30Q- go for whichever battery you can get the cheapest. I recommended the VTC6 in my first post.

For me where I live, that is the 30Q which is cheapest, so I get those, and because they are what I am mainly used to, I mention them when it comes to the 3000MAH cells. If the VTC6 was cheaper, I would get them.
If you can get the VTC6 cheaper, get those. They will all be great for your needs so go for whichever you want :).

As for ridiculous misinformation, I take it that was not aimed at me? If it was, where have I gave misinformation?

Last edited:

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just to be clear, I am not exactly biased towards the 30Q- go for whichever battery you can get the cheapest. I recommended the VTC6 in my first post.

For me where I live, that is the 30Q which is cheapest, so I get those, and because they are what I am mainly used to, I mention them when it comes to the 3000MAH cells. If the VTC6 was cheaper, I would get them.
If you can get the VTC6 cheaper, get those. They will all be great for your needs so go for whichever you want :).

As for ridiculous misinformation, I take it that was not aimed at me? If it was, where have I gave misinformation?
Haha.
We're all on the same page. I said the same thing. Vtc6 awesome battery. 30q awesome battery. Best to let the op decide. It's all about availability and price. We both recommended the same thing. He understands.

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
It has really helped me anyway!!
I always just thought that the higher the mAh the better the battery, all the stuff about amps, series and parallel was new to me and would of led me to buying the wrong batteries if you both hadn't taken the time to explain.
Now I understand batteries better I can make my own decision based on my own needs.
Thanks again guys!
@conanthewarrior, @Johnnytraveler

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So after reading Mooch's Reddit post dated June 9th 2017 I decided to go for the 30Q and picked them up from Fogstar for 4.88 each.
This decision was mainly based on the price difference against the Sony.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp...._test_results_which_lasts_longer_vtc6_30q_or/

Ahh you are in the UK too? I buy my batteries from Fogstar myself :).

I was going to post that link earlier, but I didn't want to seem "Biased towards the 30Q" as has been mentioned lol. They will serve you well.

VU Sponsors