Become a Patron!

Best batteries ??

piknic1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just looking for a little safe and experienced advise on what would be the best batteries to use with a broadside.., I purchased 4 INR18650-25R's from samsung .., I thought i read that HIGH DRAIN batteries were the proper one's to use ?? thanks

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well that really depends on your build, and there's plenty of info already on here about exactly this subject.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The 25r is an excellent battery for your Broadside.

Welcome to VU:cheers:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
"HIGH DRAIN" doesn't really mean anything. It all comes down to testing.

Regardless, the Samsung 25R's are good batteries. there are 2 different versions though - one with a green wrapper and one with a cyan color wrapper. The cyan color 25R's are slightly better.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"HIGH DRAIN" doesn't really mean anything. It all comes down to testing.

Regardless, the Samsung 25R's are good batteries. there are 2 different versions though - one with a green wrapper and one with a cyan color wrapper. The cyan color 25R's are slightly better.
Good information, just unsure where you heard the 25R2 is better than the 25R5? Mooch said they are essentially identical, just the newer green wrap 25R5 has a slight change in chemistry to improve cycle life.

I can't actually test myself though as all my blue 25R's have had plenty of cycles now so wouldn't be a fair comparison to a newer green one.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My best advice = Shoot a PM in Mooch's direction soon.Giving him a complete breakdown of your build and the mod you're using.

Until then get familiar with his chart below.

11d856791fbfd070b1e9e35e8dda704d.jpg

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love the 100 amp purple/green Facefire Max Watts. Best bats ever.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vtc5a are technically 25 amp right? Because I was watching a recent Mike vapes YouTube video and he did a build of .12 using vtc5a. That's below it's cdr right?
Unless you're planning on discharging the cell in one sitting, the cdr is for the most part pointless in the vaping paradigm. These cells can and do handle over 60a in short bursts. According to Sony, they can actually handle over 100a for fractions of a second. Considering a long pull on a mech is 7 or 8 seconds tops (for me it's more like 3 or 4), venturing a little bit past the cdr is not synonymous to unsafe or irresponsible practices by any means.
Furthermore, thermal runway is brought by heat either by a hard short or external heat, not as much by resistance it is put through.
I'm not mooch, I'm not a scientist so I can only say this by experience by both myself and the thousands of other vapers that habitually build in mechs well above the cdr rating of any cell and I can also say that it's not those guys making the headlines of exploding mechs.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

DiggityDan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I want to say thank you sir for a reply. Makes me feel safer when I feel like venturing lower than my current .19 build. Thanks again!

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well I want to say thank you sir for a reply. Makes me feel safer when I feel like venturing lower than my current .19 build. Thanks again!
After a few hits if your mod is hot put it down for a while let it cool off. This should be common practice for any mech user (probably regulated too) no matter what resistance you're using be it .07 or .5... heat = no good.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Vtc5a are technically 25 amp right? Because I was watching a recent Mike vapes YouTube video and he did a build of .12 using vtc5a. That's below it's cdr right?
As long as you know EXACTLY what you are doing, if you are an extremist you can draw something like 70 amps, or actually even 72 amps from just a single VTC5A battery in a mech... but that's seriously pushing it TBH, and you would have to take short ( <2 second) puffs, and constantly keep checking and measuring each and every thing that can be checked or measured. So if you aren't a real expert on battery safety and mech mods, then stay above .1 ohms on a mech with a single VTC5A. And yeah... don't let the temperature of the battery reach 80°C for safety... also the warmer it gets the faster you will need to buy a new one. I'd say .11 or .12 ohm builds on a single VTC5A battery is not pushing it too hard, but do your homework on battery safety and do it properly because if you don't, then the fact that you didn't is what's pushing the safety limits so that, eventually, bad things will happen. (Knowing this is always the most important, no matter what it is you vape on.)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as you know EXACTLY what you are doing, if you are an extremist you can draw something like 70 amps, or actually even 72 amps from just a single VTC5A battery in a mech... but that's seriously pushing it TBH, and you would have to take short ( <2 second) puffs, and constantly keep checking and measuring each and every thing that can be checked or measured. So if you aren't a real expert on battery safety and mech mods, then stay above .1 ohms on a mech with a single VTC5A. And yeah... don't let the temperature of the battery reach 80°C for safety... also the warmer it gets the faster you will need to buy a new one. I'd say .11 or .12 ohm builds on a single VTC5A battery is not pushing it too hard, but do your homework on battery safety and do it properly because if you don't, then the fact that you didn't is what's pushing the safety limits so that, eventually, bad things will happen. (Knowing this is always the most important, no matter what it is you vape on.)
With VTC5A's CDR per Mooch is 25a and you're certainly fine where you're at. On a single battery Mech I'm usually around 0.18 and at times will pop down to 0.14. It's best to stay within the CDR, battery isn't over tax'd, much more responsive and you're not abusing them so they will last longer also.

If you go super sub-ohm (under 0.1 ohms) that's really poking the hornets nest. Battery Sag is more when the battery is being tax'd and if the Sag goes under 2.5v the battery is damaged. Do it enough and there is a real possibility of the metal in the chemistry of the battery will plate the inner walls. When this happens the battery just sitting there can hard short, thermal runaway and "BOOM", no venting just really nasty thermal runaway.

Also building super sub ohm this is a quote from Mooch -
"A coil that is so low in resistance that the battery thinks it is a short-circuit can be a big problem though. May not be any venting there, just straight to thermal runaway."

This vid is a must watch, watch it a couple of times.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With VTC5A's CDR per Mooch is 25a and you're certainly fine where you're at. On a single battery Mech I'm usually around 0.18 and at times will pop down to 0.14. It's best to stay within the CDR, battery isn't over tax'd, much more responsive and you're not abusing them so they will last longer also.

If you go super sub-ohm (under 0.1 ohms) that's really poking the hornets nest. Battery Sag is more when the battery is being tax'd and if the Sag goes under 2.5v the battery is damaged. Do it enough and there is a real possibility of the metal in the chemistry of the battery will plate the inner walls. When this happens the battery just sitting there can hard short, thermal runaway and "BOOM", no venting just really nasty thermal runaway.

Also building super sub ohm this is a quote from Mooch -
"A coil that is so low in resistance that the battery thinks it is a short-circuit can be a big problem though. May not be any venting there, just straight to thermal runaway."

This vid is a must watch, watch it a couple of times.

Listen, mate. My Purge Mods Maelstrom happens to be #45, and, at .11 ohms with a VTC5A is equally as responsive as a freshly polished Colt 45. :D

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Listen, mate. My Purge Mods Maelstrom happens to be #45, and, at .11 ohms with a VTC5A is equally as responsive as a freshly polished Colt 45. :D
They're great batteries and a lot of it is how you vape also ;)

VU Sponsors