Become a Patron!

best battery for a dual 18650 100+w regulated mod?

Jonny.87

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hi,

what is a good battery/brand for a regulated 100+W mod ?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Samsung 25r or LG HG2 is what I'd go with.

There are only 3 real battery brands, Samsung, LG, and Sony. Efest, Imren, any of those "fire" brands, they all just wrap their logo around the batteries from these 3 companies.

Samsung 25r, LG HG2 are best for life and Sony VTC4 and some of the other LG batteries for cranking up the power.

Jonny.87

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Samsung 25r or LG HG2 is what I'd go with.

There are only 3 real battery brands, Samsung, LG, and Sony. Efest, Imren, any of those "fire" brands, they all just wrap their logo around the batteries from these 3 companies.

Samsung 25r, LG HG2 are best for life and Sony VTC4 and some of the other LG batteries for cranking up the power.

thanks for the reply! Is the aspire 18650 40A a decent battery? I was told to not get something past 30A. i am also worried about fake batteries

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/aspire-40a-1800mah-18650-bench-test-results.680381/

Quick skim through that, sounds like it's either a 15amp or 20amp cell, either way it's just a different battery wrapped up with an aspire logo on it.

Will it work, sure, and in a regulated mod you should be fine. I'd just suggest getting one of the better quality and more trusted batteries.

The rewrap companies don't use "fake" batteries, they just don't follow the standards set by the big 3 which promote the greatest amount of safety. They advertise at pulse ratings or even just make numbers up rather than posting the tested continuous rating which is the number you want to follow for safety. That number is the amps that can be discharged until the battery is dead and not have an issue. The pulse ratings are inconsistent, it may be safe to fire for 1s with 10s rest between pulses, or it may be 5s pulses with 20s in between, unless it's specified there's no way to know and the results will vary between them. So it's just a silly way to test things unless it's well documented (which I've seen a few of these tests done by curious people for the standard batteries like the 25r)

Anyways you got a regulated mod, you don't need to stress too much. The news stories you hear of things blowing up are the Mechs and pens that are handled poorly by dumb/ignorant people. Though it's still always good to do a little research and protect yourself when you can. Especially considering that the quality batteries are the same price or cheaper than the alternatives.

Jonny.87

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have also heard bad things of efest brand! I am not too worried i just want to gain as much knowledge as i can for my own safety. I'm upgrading from an Emow

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any brand outside Samsung, Sony, and LG is not a trustworthy brand. Will they work, absolutely. Can they be good, sure. It's just that you're never quite sure what the true batter under the wrapping is. That link above is a guy who's done a ton of testing on different batteries out there, assuming the brands are consistent with which battery they're wrapping with what label then at least we can look up the real stats for many of them, but personally I question that and prefer to just stick to the big 3, I mean why play around. If I was in a pinch and needed a battery today and didn't care what it cost yeah maybe I'd drive down to the vape shop and pick one of them up, but personally I have 4 sets of 25rs in good condition and a set of VTC4's I don't see that ever happening :)

Jonny.87

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
damn eh.. at my local vape shops the main 3 brands are cheaper then all the others??

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's a bunch of good ones out there. I tend to look at price, availability, and brand, Here's the ones I've had good luck with.
Samsung 25R is the battery that all others compare to, SONY VTC 4 is really good as well. They say the VT5s are good if you get an original and not a counterfeit. I don't have any experience with them. Same for the LG HG2, they have a good reputation. I like both the LG HE2, and HE4, they test just below the 25R. And the one I always get slammed for recommending MXJO 18650F, I was given a set recently and they are doing well. A lot of peoples say they are re- wrapped HE2s. It's not impossible, the HE2 is good enough you could pass it off for most batteries on the market re-wrapped. Don't know if they still have them but VapeNW was offering 4 LG HE4s for $12.99 and free shipping. LOL, now that I've rattled my opinions. I'll give you my advice, Mooch has probably forgotten more about 18650s than I will ever know, so you may wanna check the links below if you want more info on batteries.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/moochs-battery-tests.132451/

Another great resource for info on batteries is: http://batteryuniversity.com/

Jonny.87

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i appreciate the replies but to be totally honest i do not understand the results that he did LOL. all i know is that I am probably going to get the new cuboid 150w TC and I'm unsure of what batteries to get. lady at the vape store told me something with 3000mah but i thought it wouldn't be enough amps so supporrt the wattage id be vaping at .. i plan to vape at around 60-80 and potential higher if i want to show off lol.

I'm Still new and learning so thank you for all the input

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
damn eh.. at my local vape shops the main 3 brands are cheaper then all the others??
Vape shops you pay for convenience/knowledge/help not necessarily the best product. You can check out liionwholesale.com you'll get 2 batteries (plus a sweet case) for about $15 shipped, batteries range from $5-8 IIRC. I'd suggest the Samsung 25r's they're a combination of life and power. VTC4's are your go to for the power, and LG HG2 for lifespan (how long they last before recharge), but the 25r's while not rated for as high of power as the VTC4s they run very cool which is good, plus they have longer life than the VTC4s. If you're not running low resistance/high wattage builds then LG HG2's will give the best duration though. All 3 of these are in that price range where you can grab them for ~$15. Grabbing 2 sets so you can charge a set while you use the other is recommended though.

Anyways, ordering online will save you a lot of money. On one hand I hate saying that as I like the idea of supporting vape shops but it's true. And every time I hear about vape shops selling these rewraps without properly informing their customers of their limitations (I mean seriously a google search on them and finding someone who actually testing them and informing customers of true stats isn't that hard, takes 5mins tops) that feeling just dwindles. I'm glad they exist but maybe I'm just weird but I feel if they're in the business they should do the work to excel in the knowledge department. Some do, but it's just sad that they don't all.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i appreciate the replies but to be totally honest i do not understand the results that he did LOL. all i know is that I am probably going to get the new cuboid 150w TC and I'm unsure of what batteries to get. lady at the vape store told me something with 3000mah but i thought it wouldn't be enough amps so supporrt the wattage id be vaping at .. i plan to vape at around 60-80 and potential higher if i want to show off lol.

You'll be fine at 60-80, the Cuboid is known to cut out at 25amps, you'd have to get close to .1Ω to make it an issue. If you're using above .2Ω coils you'll be perfectly fine

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I just got the Cuboid, about a week ago, and I really like. It's been my favorite since I received it. The Cuboid's firmware helps protect you by not allowing you to set anything that will draw over 25 amps. Upgrade your firmware to V3.1 on the Cuboid, and it will take it to 200 watts if your resistance will allow you to go there without hitting 25 amps. There's a lot of reviews on VU on the Cuboid. VAPENW has them for 35.99, and $5 shipping, and they ship fast. You might want to consider a charger, and batteries when you order Luc V4 $25 good charger, They sell all of the batteries we've talked about. I'm gonna throw this out for what it's worth, even though I like my Cuboid. $4 more and the RX200 for a MOD if your wanting to blow your friends away, is a better choice. The Cuboid is going to give you a quality device, with maybe the best TC. But your friends are gonna smoke you if it's a .11 build. There are places the RX200 can go, that a Cuboid can't.

Jonny.87

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got the Cuboid, about a week ago, and I really like. It's been my favorite since I received it. The Cuboid's firmware helps protect you by not allowing you to set anything that will draw over 25 amps. Upgrade your firmware to V3.1 on the Cuboid, and it will take it to 200 watts if your resistance will allow you to go there without hitting 25 amps. There's a lot of reviews on VU on the Cuboid. VAPENW has them for 35.99, and $5 shipping, and they ship fast. You might want to consider a charger, and batteries when you order Luc V4 $25 good charger, They sell all of the batteries we've talked about. I'm gonna throw this out for what it's worth, even though I like my Cuboid. $4 more and the RX200 for a MOD if your wanting to blow your friends away, is a better choice. The Cuboid is going to give you a quality device, with maybe the best TC. But your friends are gonna smoke you if it's a .11 build. There are places the RX200 can go, that a Cuboid can't.

3 batteries will cost me more in the long run.. id have to get a charger and 3 batteries etc. everything is more expensive here in canada lol. our dollar is dropping horribly. but yeah cuboid so far has been my #1.

I'm just worried for fake batteries.. some shops don't even seem to know what they have

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3 batteries will cost me more in the long run.. id have to get a charger and 3 batteries etc. everything is more expensive here in canada lol. our dollar is dropping horribly. but yeah cuboid so far has been my #1.

I'm just worried for fake batteries.. some shops don't even seem to know what they have
You won't be disappointing, I like mine a lot. It's probably the best TC I have experienced.

freakknight1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't buy batteries off eBay. I thought I was getting the Samsung 25 r. And they were fake on full battery I couldn't get my 75w mod to fire

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I follow these simple rules when it comes to batteries:

Only buy name brands. This means LG, Samsung, or Sony. That's it, everything else is a re wrap.
Never buy batteries off of ebay or Amazon. Buy from the reputable vendors you see other experienced vapers here use.
Always have spare wraps. They are really cheap and easy to do.
Buy a good external charger.
If you're not sure about a battery then chuck it. It's not worth a stint in the hospital just buy a new set.
Never carry batteries loose in your pocket. There's a reason all reputable battery suppliers send you a free case.

Follow these simple rules and the rest is easy.

freakknight1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did find out that interstate battery does sell the 18650 for ecigs for 10

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Fellow Torontonian here, I'll let you know what I just did this weekend, might be a suitable option for you. At 180Smoke (few locations spread throughout Toronto), you can get a Reuleaux RX200, 3 LG HG2 or VTC4s and a LUC V4 charger for $150, or you can swap out the Reuleaux for a Cuboid with one less battery for $125. You won't really find them much cheaper here without ordering online, unless a local B&M has a huge sale, which is pretty much never. Just updated my Reuleaux this morning, works great, haven't charged it since Friday night and it's just below half (been using it in TC for SS with my Crown)

Jonny.87

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got mine from twisted coils and paid $130 after taxes and etc. I like the feel of the cuboid it has some weight to it

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

MHA is guide to how long a battery will last between charging. The AMP rating is the amount of current the battery will deliver. The LG HG2 is a 3000 mah 20 amp battery most batteries are 2500 mah 20 amp batteries. Sony, Samsung and LG make all the batteries and EVERYONE else re-wraps there B stock and lies on the label don't trust them. There are a few 30 amp batteries Sony VTC4 and LG makes one also but I don,t remember the model number (HB2 ??) but they are 1500 mah batteries.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not every rewrapped cell is a Sony, Samsung, LG or panasonic. I'm unsure where this belief comes from, but it's something I hear a lot in a few Google + groups I frequent.

Pretty much all 26650s for example are made in China by Chinese companies. OEM 26650s are like hens teeth, it's either a China cell or nothing most of the time. A 18650 is nothing special. China churns out cells of all sizes on a regular basis. Most of the ICR in power banks are Chinese made cells. They also make high drain IMR, INR and other hybrid chemistry cells.

Hand on heart, it's completely possible to obtain Chinese made high drains. Efest s 2900mAh recent high drain is a Chinese made cell. Aspires 1800mAh high drain is also Chinese in origin. You are probably more likely to get a rewraped OEM cell with a lot of brands, but Chinese made high drains are out there. They certainly don't have the resources of someone like Samsung, but they definitely are capable of making a functioning product. Some of them. Are actually quite good. Some Chinese battery makers do make very solid cells. I still wouldn't want to use one though. A he'll of a lot of a big oems spend is on safety testing.

VU Sponsors