Become a Patron!

Best coil build for a custard liquid

jkrutherford

Hello all! I have been vaping for nearly three years now, and only use rda's, rba's. I do not do pre manufactured coils. I just ordered two custard flavors from the new line with mountain oak vapors, and am completely STOKED to receive them. I would like your opinion about your various coil builds when it comes to custard flavors. I have always used liquids with a fruity note. I look forward to trying the dessert/creamy flavor. I just want an idea on how to optimize that goodness. Lol! Let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Definetely a warmer vape, 24, maybe even 22 gauge and 50-80w.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep. 24 gauge, 3mm ID, 8 wraps, set on the Tugboat V2, 50w, one airhole closed each side and boom, the custard just comes alive and makes love to your mouth in a strong, yet romantic way and after it's gone you are begging for more.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I concur. This is where 90% of my vaping is.

I usually do 24 awg, 10 wraps @ 3mm, puts it right around 0.35-0.40 ohms. Coils I'm wrapping with the Coil Master are coming out at 0.38 very consistently.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I concur. This is where 90% of my vaping is.

I usually do 24 awg, 10 wraps @ 3mm, puts it right around 0.35-0.40 ohms. Coils I'm wrapping with the Coil Master are coming out at 0.38 very consistently.
Well what about this...I vape alot of Grant's Custard clone, & my preferred RDA of choice is my Vulcan. I run my coils at 0.49 to 0.52, & I use 26 gauge Kanthal. I've always felt my taste buds were weak, & have had to increase the % of the Vanilla custard quite a bit. My question is, is there another way or build that I could do to further increase the flavor I get? I've always believed that the Vulcan was an RDA that was designed for flavor mostly, so hence I chose to stay with it.

With my current setup, I can't really complain about the results I get, but I still feel I am missing out on something.....& I'm open for advice or suggestions..even if there is a better flavor increasing RDA than the Vulcan, I'm not above trying it out. I thank you in advance for any advice you might have.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
A lot of this stuff is subjective, so take it for what it's worth:

I think most people would agree that flavor tends to be better at warmer temps. At 0.50-ish, you're having a cool to warm vape most of the time, and though I'm not a big custard fan myself, I've heard a lot of people say that custards are better at higher temps.

Flavor also tends to be better when vapor is condensed in a smaller chamber. I think you'll find that most flavor chasing atty's share a shorter profile, like the Tugboat. I've also heard a lot of people claim that a conical shape on the roof of the chamber adds to flavor, but I'm not sure if there's any real science behind that.

Lastly, airflow is another key factor. I'm not familiar with the Vulcan, but in looking at it, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of airflow options there.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Custards really pop at higher temperatures, so i would try 24 gauge or even 22 gauge.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Marquis and Varitas are both excellent flavor attys. The Varitas has a tighter draw while the Marquis is a bit airier. The Varitas is also difficult to build on while the Marquis is actually designed to be easy to build on and comes with coiling rods.

There are other good options such as the Freakshow which is interesting in that it's airflow comes only from under the coils. However, it does require a center-post build which is rather hard without the right screwdrivers. The Holms is also good, but it's also only a two-post deck so it's likely more suited to single coils. The Atomic is in much the same boat.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like regular micro coils. 5/64ths or 1.8mm six wraps of 26 g a1 kanthal or 26g nichrome wicked with Japanese cotton.

VU Sponsors