Best Coil Build For Mech

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, this has been discussed before in other threads. But, I couldn't seem to find a definitive answer. I just got a Beyond Vapes Beacon mech and want to be able to use it to it's fullest. I've only used regulated devices in the past - mainly an iStick 50 and a 100. For RDAs I have a HellBoy, A FreakShow (not the mini), and a Tobeco Turbo V2. I'm using Samsung 25R batteries.

I've read that the fancier builds really don't seem to make much of a difference in a mech. So, should I do a plain coil? Parallel wrap? My current "go to" coil on my reg mods is a fused Clapton.

I like what @Tom Forde said in a thread on another vaping site:
Yeah I have a lot of experience with claptons as well. 24g N80 is a great core wire to use. Use your 34g kanthal as your Clapton wrap. The Nichrome is going to give you a very quick ramp up time, so 6 wrap duals on a 2.5 or 3mm bit should serve you well

Would this be my best option? I love big clouds (Who doesn't? :D ), but flavor is the most important aspect for me.

Thanks!
CC

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Really there is no 'best' for any device, be it regulated or mech.
It's all a matter of opinion. You are the one using it, so all that matters is that you enjoy the vape.

Sadly the only way to find the best for you is via trial and error.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Zaroba has it exactly right. I use different coil builds depending on my mood and the size and construction of the deck. A Veritas for example works well with vertical dual claptons. The Freakshow is a RDA that I dislike TBH. Not great for flavor or clouds. I like using standard kanthasl coils on some decks too. I've had zero issues building dual kanthal at around .2 on my twisted and el cabron (basically the same RDAs). On my Doge 2 I went dual claptons at .15 on an SMPL.

Confusing? Indeed. Because there isn't a correct build. The only issue you should have is safety. Know what your battery can handle. Get good batteries - I prefer LG, Sony or Samsung. I have friends who swear by Imren and Efest but looking up test results I'm not impressed. Go to

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Understand om's law first and then experiment.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I tried the dual 24N/34K Claptons on the FreakShow and wasn't overly impressed.
So I tried the K.I.S.S. theory and made a dual 22g N80, 3mm ID, 10 wrap build on the HellBoy.

Oh, my...

Clouds AND flavor! Me likey!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Next up is (I think) a dual parallel 26 or 28 gauge build on the Tobeco Turbo V2. Lately I've been using it without the fan. I'll try it with and without and see if there's much difference.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Keep us posted. I'm not a fan of that RDA either. Get yourself a twisted messes or 13th heaven and see the difference.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Here's what i do, maybe it'll help ya in some way. I build on my regulated devices so that my coils vape great at 3.7 volts. Basically i set them to mimic the performance of a mechanical mod. That way if i feel like using a mech mod i know that it'll vape the same as it does on my regulated. So in a way i treat my reg devices the same as my mechanicals. For me it usually ends up being a coil between .10-.20. Regardless of the resistance, as long as it vapes good at 3.7v then i can take that atty and put it on any device i own and i'll be happy. I really only use my regulated devices when i leave the house because i like having a visual battery meter when i'm out and about. Right now i have a set of aliens in my twistedmesses rda that vape great between 3.3-3.8v. So i can enjoy the build pretty much until my batteries die off on any of my devices. It's just a habit i got into: Always building to vape at 3.7v. Blah blah blah i hope that helps hahaha :p

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That way if i feel like using a mech mod i know that it'll vape the same as it does on my regulated.
So all those killer builds that you post get used on a mech? I'm using a single 25R in my Beacon mod.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So all those killer builds that you post get used on a mech? I'm using a single 25R in my Beacon mod.
I use a parallel 18650 mod, and a Sigelei 150tc primarily. 0.15 is my cut off for a single cell mechanical just for safety reasons. That's one of the reasons i favor nichrome-because you can hit a low resistance with smaller wire, which heats up quickly in a mechanical. I rarely use anything larger than 26g in any of my builds.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know about best, but I can tell you what my go-to's are. Bear in mind that my mech sweet spot tends to fall between .15 and .24, so you may not be able to run some of these. All of these will be kanthal builds. Call me crazy, but that's what I like the most for my mech setups. I have used nichrome and 316L and would urge you to try those out... ...24g nichrome especially (it's an easy way around the ramp-up time for hot, high-surface-area builds.) This is just what I tend to like.

The one I most come back to is a dual 24g - 6 wraps @2.5mm. It's just got it all imo. If you want something a little hotter, take a wrap out. But be forewarned, depending on what that ends up reading, it's going to leave you with no ceiling on your 25r. Perhaps dual 24's at .24 would be nice as well. That's 7 wraps @ 2mm. I used to run that one a lot.

I've also had a lot of success with dual triple parallel 28g. I wanna say the last one that I did was 6 wraps around a 2.5mm. Regular dual parallel 28's @ 2mm provide nice flavor and vapor as well, but it's not really what I would call a warm vape - you can go up in the resistance a bit for either if you want. You could probably go as high as .28.

A simple dual 22g is lovely with 7 wraps @ 3mm. I dunno how you'll feel about the ramp-up, though. I usually take a wrap out and lower the diameter to 2.5mm in order to make it work, but I also run 30-amp batteries.

Dual parallel 26's are nice. They're a bit on the cool side for your resistance range, but pretty gnarly at .16.

And let's not forget twisted wire. It's been so long since I've done them that I've forgotten the specifics, but dual twisted 28g and 26g builds are awesome for a warm, dense, flavorful vape. I remember liking them at ~.2 on diameters between 2mm and 2.5mm.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
But be forewarned, depending on what that ends up reading, it's going to leave you with no ceiling on your 25r

Yeah, I've come to the regretful conclusion that a single 20A 18650 just isn't gonna cut it for me. I've put the Beacon up for trade in the Trading Post forum.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I've come to the regretful conclusion that a single 20A 18650 just isn't gonna cut it for me. I've put the Beacon up for trade in the Trading Post forum.
Ahh yeah, that's unfortunate. Mechs really are on the low end of the sub-ohm spectrum. I think that you can do a lot with a single 30A 18650, though. Mechs, I would say, have a different "hit" profile to them. It's a different kind of high-powered vape. Coming from regulated vapes, it's probably going to be an acquired taste... ...it's a bit of a paradigm shift. The kinds of builds you can do on a parallel box might help a bit with finding your way into something nice, though.

Personally, I like my mech and my reggie for different reasons, but with that being said, I intend to shell out some decent money on a custom parallel box real soon.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I LOVE my mech. Para - series box is the berries. My new favorite on it is a triple 24g twisted coil wrapped 7 times at 3mm. .2 ohms flavor and clouds are ridiculous.

barroomhero304

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fused claptons 26n80 core 32n80 wrap fast ramp up and nice clouds

sprojam34

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try smaller wire kanthal 32/32 clapton wire abit tricky to make up but I run a 9 wrap on the little blue screw driver we get with these rda or duel 5 wraps on my tesla with a single battery nice warm vapes throughout the charging cycle of the battery decent cloud and good flavor I used to do same thing twisted 32/32. As far as using the big wire and bigger coils trade that thing and never run builds that build heat in your battery / batteries quickly! Ohm meter is a nice reference if you are pushing the envelope I don't so I didn't waist my money but I can grab my meter out of the work truck if I ever wanted to. Hopefully this helps

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use mech exclusively. Before they were the only way to subohm so I'm used to it. Maybe one day I'll get a Dna200 to try tc but for now I'm happy with how I'm doing it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Yes, this has been discussed before in other threads. But, I couldn't seem to find a definitive answer. I just got a Beyond Vapes Beacon mech and want to be able to use it to it's fullest. I've only used regulated devices in the past - mainly an iStick 50 and a 100. For RDAs I have a HellBoy, A FreakShow (not the mini), and a Tobeco Turbo V2. I'm using Samsung 25R batteries.

I've read that the fancier builds really don't seem to make much of a difference in a mech. So, should I do a plain coil? Parallel wrap? My current "go to" coil on my reg mods is a fused Clapton.

I like what @Tom Forde said in a thread on another vaping site:

Would this be my best option? I love big clouds (Who doesn't? :D ), but flavor is the most important aspect for me.

Thanks!
CC
I decided to finally create an account hereAnd I'm über late to reply but imdoing so anyways , ,I'm exclusively a mech user the best build I found for fast ramp are ni80 26g parallel build /29g x2 parallel build ,or simple builds like 24g work fine too, but I find my parallel builds have phenomenal flavour and fast ramp up

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have found for me, the sweet spot to be 2.5MM, SS316L 26G coils at around 0.25.

These are simple, and they heat up fast, and they still seem to chuck plenty of vapour. Also, I feel safer knowing I am within my 20A CDR batteries rating.

I have delved lower, with bigger coils and different builds, but I keep going back to this. Just simple, and works well for me.

VU Sponsors