Become a Patron!

Best DNA 250 Mod?

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I stand corrected then. I admit when I am wrong. This "fighting" should stop. I call a truce.
Not many people vape at 400W. To get the size reasonable with a 4 cell they need a less than 3,00MAH Lipo. I would certainly purchase something that is 200W on 2x primary cells, 18650. Although that is more than 20A. I am not at all against anything from Evolv. I love them I am against junk Mods. I am not against China either. Like anyone else they make good and bad. In most cases they are contracted to make something designed by someone else.

I found out recently the Wholesale price for a Vape shop on the Triade DNA250 for instance is $40. That means the wholesaler may have paid about $25. Further meaning it may have cost $3-$5 USD to produce. Vape shops have sold it for as much as $200. Online in the US they were about $160-$170. From China less than $100. What I am getting at is how can they build a quality product for 5 bucks? I have experience that they cannot. YMMV.

I would like to see some really good quality commercial production mods and would gladly pay whatever they cost. Instead of waiting months to get a custom Mod.

I think I am being reasonable. Somehow this conversation derailed. On my behalf I apologize, and obsidian I would ask of you to please do the same or at least acknowledge my apology. We are all here for the same reason and we may not always see eye to eye but we should maintain some modicum of civility. I hope everyone involved in this ongoing argument and spewing of insults shall just humble themselves and agree. There is no reason for this to take place. I may be wrong about things as well as others. It would be much more productive if we discussed the topic rather than spending time insulting each other. I extend to you an apology on my behalf. What you choose to do with that is up to you. I sincerely hope you will accept such and we can move past this juncture. It is not productive for this forum and our shared vision. Just please correct me if I am wrong about anything. there is no reason to flame me for my mistakes. I sincerely hope we can call a truce at this point. Thank you

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If all you want is the color screen it is not even RGB let alone the pixel density of a S9. Yes that is what I have running stock Android that is not a port but directly from Google. Of course you cannot get this unfortunately but luckily you have a slow phone that sort of runs stock Android.

I doubt that is a 70 Amp plus battery either.

#1. Samsung phones don't run Stock Android (Vanilla). They run TouchWiz, a highly skinned and bloated version of Android that they create from Vanilla Android (AOSP), which is slow and laggy, even on the S9.
#2. Google doesn't make stock versions of their OS for the S9, or for any other devices besides their own (IE the Nexus and Pixel lines.)
#3. The fact that you don't know or understand that the Pixels and Nexus phones are the only devices that run Stock Android (Not sort of), along with the the other things I listed above just proves you aren't a Dev or anything close.

#4. 70 amp battery - 2800 * 25 = 70,000ma = 70A So the battery is simply a 4s 25C 2800mAh.

I did the calculations for you (above) since I know that simply telling you to do the research will equate to nothing. So please just stop this crap...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I stand corrected then. I admit when I am wrong. This "fighting" should stop. I call a truce.
Not many people vape at 400W. To get the size reasonable with a 4 cell they need a less than 3,00MAH Lipo. I would certainly purchase something that is 200W on 2x primary cells, 18650. Although that is more than 20A.

I found out recently the Wholesale price for a Vape shop on the Triade DNA250 for instance is $40. That means the wholesaler may have paid about $25. Further meaning it may have cost $3-$5 USD to produce. Vape shops have sold it for as much as $200. Online in the US they were about $160-$170. From China less than $100. What I am getting at is how can they build a quality product for 5 bucks? I have experience that they cannot. YMMV.

I would like to see some really good quality commercial production mods and would gladly pay whatever they cost. Instead of waiting months to get a custom Mod.

I think I am being reasonable. Somehow this conversation derailed. On my behalf I apologize, and obsidian I would ask of you to please do the same or at least acknowledge my apology. We are all here for the same reason and we may not always see eye to eye but we should maintain some modicum of civility. I hope everyone involved in this ongoing argument and spewing of insults shall just humble themselves and agree. There is no reason for this to take place. I may be wrong about things as well as others. It would be much more productive if we discussed the topic rather than spending time insulting each other. I extend to you an apology on my behalf. What you choose to do with that is up to you. I sincerely hope you will accept such and we can move past this juncture. It is not productive for this forum and our shared vision. Just please correct me if I am wrong about anything. there is no reason to flame me for my mistakes. I sincerely hope we can call a truce at this point. Thank you

The DNA chip supports LiPos, 18650s AND 20700, 21700 etc etc. This means that you can get those wattages (due to some higher Amperages) with LiPos easily, some 18650s but definitely with good 20700 and 21700 as well. But this is why they limited 2 18650s to 166 previously. So 200 Watts from 2 cells is clearly possible it just depends on what those 2 cells are.

Gorgon... I appreciate the sentiment. The problem lies within false information being passed on by forum members. When you say things that are incorrect (especially in a way that makes them seem factual) it has an extremely horrible downfall (other than just for you personally). It creates a waterfall effect. All the people out there who just read forums for the information, or for those searching for a solution to a problem, will come across this bad information and treat it as if it's correct. They then spread it to others and this is how rumors spread and false information spreads.

So I apologise that you were offended. But I won't stand by while someone persistently posts misinformed, non factual information. Doing so would be the opposite of serving the community.

If you don't understand something just ask a question, rather than doing what you have been doing.

About how much a mod costs. This consists of numerous things. But overall it is simply a chip (the main expense), a container, a battery sled and a couple of buttons/connections. So if you want to look at costs it's just some small pieces of metal, plastic, some wire and glue. But that only gives you the cost of raw goods.

Large companies design them in CAD, have the individual pieces pressed or molded and assembled. They have to recover R&D costs, employees, overhead, chip/component costs and Marketing etc. So the first devices will be sold at whatever price is needed to recuperate that investment. Once that is done the price can start going down.

And here is where you keep falling off. The cost a wholesaler pays is only relevant when they are buying directly from the manufacturer. This also relies on a couple thinga. The quantity they are purchasing and how close the purchase is to the device's release. The price someone paid many months into production, has been discontinued, bought from a secondary wholesaler, or is being dumped off to clear inventory is not valid information to extrapolate any costs/data from.

Most manufacturers (and likely all wholesalers) are willing to sell things at their cost (or even at a small loss) when they need to dump their remaining inventory. So when a secondary wholesaler needs to dump their inventory they will clearance it for pennies at that point.

But if you want to understand more than that please take a business class or simply do some research about manufacturing, wholesale supply chains, supply and demand, etc.

Last edited:

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Also don't forget manufactures and wholesalers don't mark up like brick and mortar stores or web stores. Some may only make $1-$3 but they sell 1000s of them to make their money.

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Also don't forget manufactures and wholesalers don't mark up like brick and mortar stores or web stores. Some may only make $1-$3 but they sell 1000s of them to make their money.
Exactly... B&M's have more overhead, they purchase and sell far fewer devices and have a lot of other things they have to account for that online sites don't. So prices are inherently higher. E Commerce is straight up Quantity and Price Competitiveness that drives their businesses.

It's crazy how many things that you used to be able to make good % on are now worthless for most businesses. It's the little add ons, accessory and the like where most of the profits are made these days.

Silver79

Member For 4 Years
I'm using the Think Vape Finder DNA250 with no complaints. It does resemble the Triade, but it's been a solid device for me. I'd definitely purchase another one.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to slap people asking for "Best". I really do. (It is really only useful in an f2f situation with folks you already trust). I have to presume they mean "most pretty".. Wait, I mean "most durable".. Wait, i mean..

@Polargirl The DNA <pick one> are all Standard. so you mean exposed-switches, 510, battery, casing.. It's not possible to answer you as phrased. Do you even need a 250? And, why? I am sure folks here can suggest any number of modes with some firmer parameters.

If the goal is "gotta' have REPLAY", then - last I heard, any 75c and 250c will work/support-it. If the goal is "an American-manufactured and serviced board", yeah - all I know about is the Evolv and maybe Hohm stuff. (Folks, please illuminate me here).

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I want to slap people asking for "Best". I really do. (It is really only useful in an f2f situation with folks you already trust). I have to presume they mean "most pretty".. Wait, I mean "most durable".. Wait, i mean..

@Polargirl The DNA <pick one> are all Standard. so you mean exposed-switches, 510, battery, casing.. It's not possible to answer you as phrased. Do you even need a 250? And, why? I am sure folks here can suggest any number of modes with some firmer parameters.

If the goal is "gotta' have REPLAY", then - last I heard, any 75c and 250c will work/support-it. If the goal is "an American-manufactured and serviced board", yeah - all I know about is the Evolv and maybe Hohm stuff. (Folks, please illuminate me here).

This is very true. Best can only be best if it has very good parameters set. What is most important? price range, battery layout, size, fitment, strength. Then what you're going to be using it for matters almost just as much.

But I do assume anyone looking for a 250c is looking for what the 250 doesn't have. Beyond that it's a wild guess... Most are looking for the "best for cheapest", which is also a wild guess. Within the same chipset "you get what you pay for" is fairly true. I've only had 2 mod families that didn't fail me, Provari (5ish years ago) and Vaporshark, that is on a non Warranty basis. HexOhm if warranty included.

Bottom line I look at all Vaping gear as disposable. I have old authentic tubes etc that are near and dear, but on the non mechanical side I just hope for $15 a month. So $180 mod I hope to get a year out of.

VU Sponsors