Become a Patron!

Best for my needs please

HI

I am in need of advice and a newbie to vaping or a newbie to be!!! Wishing to quit the tobacco.

I want to know what people would recommend based on the following:-

1. The other half uses one but a cheap one and when I have a go it makes me choke and cough. This surprised me as I smoke 30 roll ups a day.

2. I want one with a removable battery as often away from a charging point for long hours and running out would make me run to the shop for baccy. A spare fully charged battery would be needed.

3. I want one which you can alter the strength settings. I love the 'hit' off smoking and the one my partner has doesn't give me that and when I do get good smoke off it, I cough.

4. I'd rather pay a little extra for a decent one than use a cheap model.

So...... over to you vaper's for some good advice please.

Cheers

Jim x

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
the coughing is coming from the cigs most likely. nearly all smokers that take a vape tend to choke, it should pass though rather quickly as you stop smoking and your body starts to cleanse.

the istick is the best starting point imo, they are cheap enough to get two as well. one for back up or stay on the charge while you use the other. not removable battery but at $25 for 2200mah and 20w its just the best for a new vaper. it's low priced but not low quality by any means

by strength settings im guessing you mean variable wattage, which the istick is. for a tank nautilus mini (or full size if you want more juice capacity) is the way to go. just make sure you get the bvc coils which i think both models come with anyway

Thank you.

I have one last requirement.

When I have borrowed the other halves I have a need to carry it in my pocket but it leaks if not kept 100 per cent upright. Something to do with it being a top feed tank (or she says!)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
First of all, welcome to the Underground!

Let me ask you a question.

What is your price range for a complete system. APV, tank, batteries and charger?

The more info we have the better we can help you!

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you.

I have one last requirement.

When I have borrowed the other halves I have a need to carry it in my pocket but it leaks if not kept 100 per cent upright. Something to do with it being a top feed tank (or she says!)
the nautilus mini shouldnt leak like a top feeder but i dont have day to day experience with one. its a bottom fed coil so you should be good

Gosh it all looks very complex. Are these isticks compact enough to keep in a coat / cardigan pocket.

Some of the high end ones are MASSIVE!. I will have to be discreet vaping at work and some are like Nasa space rockets. ;-)

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gosh it all looks very complex. Are these isticks compact enough to keep in a coat / cardigan pocket.

Some of the high end ones are MASSIVE!. I will have to be discreet vaping at work and some are like Nasa space rockets. ;-)
lol this setup is fool proof. istick is the smallest mod on the market, just a tiny bit bigger than a bic lighter. nautilus mini would keep it compact as well

being in the UK you could use fast tech and get it pretty fast, but youd have to ask someone from the UK about which shipping option to use (important)

nautilus mini - http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009821/1861800-authentic-aspire-nautilus-mini-bvc-clearomizer
istick (with euro plug) - http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011027/1943501-authentic-eleaf-istick-2200mah-variable-voltage

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use and am happy with the iStick Nautilus set up. It has more than enough battery power for a day at work. It is bottom fed and I have not had any problem with it leaking. I use 50/50 PG/VG, I've heard some people have leaking when the PG is at a higher ratio. VG is thicker. The IStick has a mini USB, so if you are at a desk or in a car/truck you can keep it pluged in while you are also vaping

The chap in our local vape shop said to treat myself to a Aspire Atlantis top bit (??? The part you pop the fluid / smoke through), he said it also heats up quicker giving better smoke.

Do these isticks fit these.

Sorey if I am coming across a bit thick, it's all new to me.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The chap in our local vape shop said to treat myself to a Aspire Atlantis top bit (??? The part you pop the fluid / smoke through), he said it also heats up quicker giving better smoke.

Do these isticks fit these.

Sorey if I am coming across a bit thick, it's all new to me.
the atlantis is a 0.5 ohm coil, the istick has a 1 ohm (or 0.8 maybe?) limit i believe so that means it wont fire if your resistance is below 1 ohm (or 0.8). either way it wont fire a 0.5 ohm coil i know that.

there is no reason to sub ohm at this point anyway, its about getting you off the cigs and the nautilus mini/istick combo will do that while keeping it in a small package

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Vape shop prices are a bit higher, but sometimes it's worth the extra for a new vaper ,if your vape shop helps you face to face. If they will fix you up with a iStick and Nautilus mini and a couple of bottles of juice for under $60, then go for it.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The nautilus mini won't leak. I carry it and the full nautilus in my pocket all the time. One downside is that if you go inside and outside very much it can flood from the temperature change but it's easy to avoid. I use a itaste MVP 2 with my nautilus but it might be a bit bigger than you want but it's square and fits in my back pocket as well as my jacket pocket.

I would not recommend the Atlantis for a beginner. The set up will put you over your budget anyway.

The nautilus mini won't leak. I carry it and the full nautilus in my pocket all the time. One downside is that if you go inside and outside very much it can flood from the temperature change but it's easy to avoid. I use a itaste MVP 2 with my nautilus but it might be a bit bigger than you want but it's square and fits in my back pocket as well as my jacket pocket.

I would not recommend the Atlantis for a beginner. The set up will put you over your budget anyway.

Hey this could be an issue. I work on a gardent project with folks with disabilities. So one moment I am inside in 18 degrees then outside in temps no lower the minus 5. Would this cause the flooding you speak of? Or are you talking about extreme changes in temps.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I'm going to go another route than others here, Jim.

First, to address your coughing issue: Vaping is different than smoking, you don't hit it the same. With a cigarette, it's a quick 1-2 second direct mouth-to-lung hit. With lower powered vapes and clearomizers (tanks) especially, you need a longer, more consistent draw that is often 3-4 seconds and mouth-to-mouth-to-lung. Meaning, you first take the vapor into your mouth, then into your lungs. We all choke and cough at first, because the hit is a little different.

With your stated budget of £80 (about $95) and desire for a stronger throat hit, I'm going to recommend that you skip a traditional tank setup and go right into mech mods and rebuildables. I have a feeling you will ultimately end up there anyway.

1) Basic clone copper mech mod
2) Clone RDA
3) A 2-battery charger
4) x2 18650 batteries
5) Spool of 26ga or 24ga wire
6) Small bag of cotton for wicking​

You should be able to stay near your budget with all of that. Yep, there's a bit of a learning curve with rebuildables, but there are tons of resources out there to get you started. The best thing is, you can totally customize your vape and a mech mod will give you that direct mouth-to-lung hit.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey this could be an issue. I work on a gardent project with folks with disabilities. So one moment I am inside in 18 degrees then outside in temps no lower the minus 5. Would this cause the flooding you speak of? Or are you talking about extreme changes in temps.

Yep. Hot to cold is not an issue but cold to warm causes flooding. It's not a major issue. It just means too much liquid on the coil and will cause gurgling. It's easy to clear by turning it upside down, cover the tip with paper towel or something and sling the extra liquid out. But it can be frustrating. I have found that if I turn the nautilus upside down when I come in and keep it upside down while it warms, it won't flood. But, the extra tinkering might not be to your liking so I thought I'd let you know. For me, it's a non issue. It's still better than a top coil tank.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The Istick would indeed work for you when topped with the Nautilus.

And you can stuff that in your pocket and not worry much about it.

For a new vaper, (and I know that opinions will vary on this) I would not suggest a mech topped with an RDA.

Mechs do require a learning curve IMHO that is best left for later in your vaping lifecycle.

And RDAs (AKA drippers) need constant servicing and you can't just stuff them in your pocket and expect them not to leak.

And like Brother Browncoat said, vaping is a bit different than smoking and most of us fill our mouths with vapor before inhaling.

But you will get used to that just like you will get used to pressing a button anytime you want to vape.

Now keep in mind that with the Nautilus, you will need to continue to purchase coils. Forever.

But like I said this is a good starting point for you. And when the time comes and you are ready you can get into RBAs where you can make your own coils dirt cheap.

But for now, walk before you run IMHO:D

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Greetings and welcome

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
IMO, (which everyone's seems to be different) I would suggest a Kanger Tech Aero V2 and change the drip tip to a 2puffs drip tips with a air hole.
For the mod. since you want a changeable battery, I would suggest a Cloupor mini or a Segelei 30 watt mini.

This will be a smaller set up.

As everyone has said, vaping will make you cough at first, especially if you smoke. With the Kanger, you can go with a juice mixed at 75% VG and 25% PG. More PG gives you more throat hit, but also can cause coughing too.

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mech mod is too much fuss for someone new and someone wanting a simple setup to meet their needs. I would agree with the above and go with the eleaf istick and an aspire nautilus mini.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
IMHO, when you first star out go with the KISS principal.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Not to imply that you are anywhere near stupid.

What you are looking for is a "Turnkey Vape".

Get that mod charged, fill your topper with tasty E-Liquid and GO!

Plenty of time to get into the Mechs an rebuildables.

Learn you basics first!

And before I forget, you will be wanting to drink lots and lots of water.

Vaping dries out the tissues of your mouth.

And if you are not properly hydrated even the most expensive E-Liquid will taste like cardboard!

And the same applies to whatever you are eating as well.

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
[Q"UncleRJ, post: 257226, member: 1598"]IMHO, when you first star out go with the KISS principal.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Not to imply that you are anywhere near stupid.

What you are looking for is a "Turnkey Vape".

Get that mod charged, fill your topper with tasty E-Liquid and GO!

Plenty of time to get into the Mechs an rebuildables.

Learn you basics first!

And before I forget, you will be wanting to drink lots and lots of water.

Vaping dries out the tissues of your mouth.

And if you are not properly hydrated even the most expensive E-Liquid will taste like cardboard!

And the same applies to whatever you are eating as well.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree wit uncle, istick+mini nautilus is the easiest, smallest and cheapest way to go, the coughing will go away, cld be a pg or vg issue.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I suppose it's all a matter of opinion, but mech mods and RBAs are not that difficult to understand.

Here is someone who has already said he's not a fan of the other's half's eGo-type vape, and yet everyone is recommending that this is what he should get. That doesn't make sense to me. Is there some pay your dues aspect that I'm missing here, or is it not okay to simply bypass a few steps in the typical cig-a-like > eGo > VW/VV > rebuildable tank > dripper progression?

Or am I the only one who actually read his criteria? Someone who already doesn't like clearos, wants a throat hit and the ability to customize his vape probably isn't going to be happy with an iStick and a Nauti Mini.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I suppose it's all a matter of opinion, but mech mods and RBAs are not that difficult to understand.

Here is someone who has already said he's not a fan of the other's half's eGo-type vape, and yet everyone is recommending that this is what he should get. That doesn't make sense to me. Is there some pay your dues aspect that I'm missing here, or is it not okay to simply bypass a few steps in the typical cig-a-like > eGo > VW/VV > rebuildable tank > dripper progression?

Or am I the only one who actually read his criteria? Someone who already doesn't like clearos, wants a throat hit and the ability to customize his vape probably isn't going to be happy with an iStick and a Nauti Mini.
yes you are missing an aspect, getting him off the cigs. rebuilding rdas and toying around with trial and error is not something im willing to recommend to someone that still has a big step in front of them. its something to recommend to people who have already quit cigs and have the time and patience to toy around with rebuilding.

at this point he should be focusing on one thing, getting off the cigs for the long term. plenty of time for building later. plus i would group vv/vw, mech mods, rdas, and rebuildable tanks all into one category (in that timeline) called advanced personal vaporizers since after ego its more about preference once you decide to upgrade past an ego. starting people off with an apv like an istick is already skipping a few steps imo and its for the better

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I suppose I'm just projecting the frustration I experienced when I was new.

I got talked into an MVP and Nautilus Mini and was told that mech mods were for "advanced" vapers. After a week of still smoking part time because that setup wasn't satisfying enough for me, I was in another vape shop asking about mech mods. Someone took the time to explain it all, and I was able to make a purchase that was in line with what I wanted in the first place.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I got talked into an MVP and Nautilus Mini and was told that mech mods were for "advanced" vapers. After a week of still smoking part time because that setup wasn't satisfying enough for me, I was in another vape shop asking about mech mods. Someone took the time to explain it all, and I was able to make a purchase that was in line with what I wanted in the first place.
I understand your frustration. I went through it too.

However, very few people IMO, should start out vaping mechs and RDA's. There is just too much to grasp and understand. Ohm's law, battery safety, dead shorts in mechs, etc. Lots of safety stuff to be aware of and mindful of. An overload for those new to vaping.

Truly, a new vaper should at least START with some protections the VV/VW devices offer. It's better than blowing your face off.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Yeah but just think of all the newbie gear you got to pass down. LOL

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It can go both ways, I see a LOT of people on Craigslist selling their high dollar mech mods and RBAs, because they found out that vaping was not for them. And they can only get pennies on the dollar for used equipment.
I think we can almost all agree to skip the cigalikes things.
and the EVOD type tank kits with a stick battery is almost as many dollars as a good iStick with Nautilus set up.
But we all agree that there is no perfect "one size fits all" unit. You just got to take a shot at something and see for yourself if that's what you need. And keep in mind that you a saving a lot of money by not buying cigs each day.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Selling mods is the OPPOSITE in my area. If you find a Sig 100 watt for sale, they want 150 for it. 20 dollar mech clones people are asking 75 bucks for.

No wonder they don't sell.

Adam Ross

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
HI

I am in need of advice and a newbie to vaping or a newbie to be!!! Wishing to quit the tobacco.

I want to know what people would recommend based on the following:-

1. The other half uses one but a cheap one and when I have a go it makes me choke and cough. This surprised me as I smoke 30 roll ups a day.

2. I want one with a removable battery as often away from a charging point for long hours and running out would make me run to the shop for baccy. A spare fully charged battery would be needed.

3. I want one which you can alter the strength settings. I love the 'hit' off smoking and the one my partner has doesn't give me that and when I do get good smoke off it, I cough.

4. I'd rather pay a little extra for a decent one than use a cheap model.

So...... over to you vaper's for some good advice please.

Cheers

Jim x
Hey Jim! Check out the new Aspire Atlantis Sub Ohm Kit. You can get it for around $73 and it is a sub-ohm vape kit, but it produced really smooth vapor and flavor. I freakin' love this thing! Otherwise, if you want a traditional personal vaporizer, you might wanna go with any Ego-Type battery and maybe an Aspire Nautilus Tank.... Hope this helps

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Selling mods is the OPPOSITE in my area. If you find a Sig 100 watt for sale, they want 150 for it. 20 dollar mech clones people are asking 75 bucks for.

No wonder they don't sell.
I see that around here too, it's usually because they paid close to that from a B&M.

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I coughed like a beast for a month after I quit smoking and started vaping. It's your lungs trying to clear out. I was shocked I'm like I smoked a pack sometimes more a day how could I not puff on a little vape stick. I was so confused. But it will happen just stick with it! And I wish I would have known more when I quit because I would have immediately bought the istick and nautilus mini instead of vaping on a little vape pen

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have seen somewhere that the coughing is caused from the vapor actually being hotter than what come off a traditional. I never really had the issue but alot of people seem to have that same problem. Goes away in a short short time tho. My mom smoked for 57 yrs, coughed the first cpl times she used hers and then when i told her to take smaller drags and hold in mouth for a sec or 2 before inhale it stopped.

Some brilliant replies and have taken it all on board. Understand the peEpson talking about building my own kit and maybe one for the future considering I didn't know an atomizer from my arse end two days ago.

So.......... After 2 hours in a vape shop trying lots out and sampling many juices, based on my needs I opted for..........

Itaste Vtr!!!!!!

It's robust yet cimpact enough to go in my pocket. I have had my first day (it's only half five over here) with it and sussed the coughing out. A couple of button presses and not inhaling the smoke makes the puffs after much more tolerable and actually quite nice. I have had 4 roll ups all day (as oppose to probably 18 by this time of day) and used the vaper the rest of the time.

One thing where I did kind of cock up was the mental block of...... "I don't smoke apples so why would I choose apple flavoured juice? ", I opted for tobacco flavours but in fact have tried sone fruit flavours or the other halves and find them actually smoother and quite pleasing!!!!

With regards to stopping the smokes the fact I have dramatically cut back is a MASSIVE achievement for me and time will be of the essence to stopping completely.

Thanks again everyone for you're replies. I'll be back for sure with more questions as I go on.

Kind Regards

Jim x

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd say you're coughing because you've been smoking.

As far as a removable battery with variable voltage or wattage check iTazte, they have a mod that does that. I used to have 2 iTazte VV Mods because while the batteries aren't removable, they are USB chargeable (meaning you can charge it in your car) and at around 40$ a pop that worked for me.

The coughing will happen for a while, they do have different nicotine setting that can get you a good lung hit.

A more expensive you're for adjustable voltage/wattage would be an IPV mod it uses two batteries, you might get more out of it if you use a sub ohm tank like the atlantis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Look at my avatar, that's my setup and I've only smoke for 1 month(and I absolutely love it).
However what UncleJ said is true for "most people"
1 of my friend own a shop, a lot of them bought $180 authentic setup and quit within 1 month.
For beginner, the ileaf and nautilus mini(small tank) or kanger aerotank mega(big tank) are great IMO.
It is a very cheap setup and taste great.
1) Use that for 2-3 month to see if you can switch from traditional cig to vape.
2) Use this time to hunt for juice you like(TO ME, juice play the #1 role of the switch over)
3) Use this time to learn more about mech/box mod and rba/rda

Once you think you're ready, then you can switch over to mech/box mod, and better rda/rba(gadget play #2 role of enhancing your experience, "IMO")

After all, in 2-3 month you'll probably save enough money to get a new setup.

Lastly, nicotine amount can affect coughing, pv/vg ratio can affect coughing, and dry throat.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors