Become a Patron!

Best Material for Drip Tips???

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What is your favorite drip tip made from?

I like the flavor I get from the stainless steel drip tip that came with my Subtank Mini, but I hate the feeling of metal in my mouth. I vape allot when I am driving and I have knocked my front teeth a couple times with it on bumps and its not fun. I tried a few different drip tips made from a variety of materials in the past couple weeks, but I don't like any of them.

So far I have tried:

A Nylon Drip Tip that feels good, but it gives me a slight plastic taste and It retains some juice flavor.

A cheap plastic Whistle Drip Tip that I love the feel of, but it tastes like a Tire Fire.

Lastly an aluminum one that tastes slightly metalic.

For now I am sticking with the Stainless steel, but would like to find something better. I am going to try Wood and Delrin next.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The best I've found so far is glass.
no metal or plastic taste.
I don't like plastic at all! Ive done extensive research into many different types of plastics and I've found that almost all catalyzed compounds seep chemicals with age. Even more so when heat is applied.
think of the Rubbermaid totes in your attic.
after a year or two they become sticky and brittle.
this is from the compounds that once made the plastic pliable,sweating to the surface.
the same thing happens in many of the plastics used in vape gear.
delrin,for example,is one of the safest but overheating still releases toxins.

queenrilly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like glass, I have the 'organic' glass one that came with my ego one, like you I don't like the feeling of metal in my mouth.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Try this for your plastic drip tips.

Get some Kosher or non iodized salt.

Get a glass of very warm water.

Disolve as much salt in the water as you can.

Add plastic drip tips.

Let them sit in the water for a day or so.

This will "Leech" most if not all the plastic taste out of them.

Rinse really, really well, dry and use.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried any wood trip tips yet? @bondo

No and I'm sure they're great for heat dissipation and true flavor but unless it's natural wood (no stain,poly) it falls into the same catagory as plastics for me.
I have seen some that were natural wood that had been friction polished with emery cloth that I wanted to try but I couldn't afford it at the time and I haven't seen any since.

I'm sure many will disagree and enjoy their wooden tips but that's just my stance on it.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wood has a flavor....I've always been intrigued by glass tips,not the pyrex ones,but the hand blown tips,but I've always been somewhat afraid they wind up getting broken often.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try this for your plastic drip tips.

Get some Kosher or non iodized salt.

Get a glass of very warm water.

Disolve as much salt in the water as you can.

Add plastic drip tips.

Let them sit in the water for a day or so.

This will "Leech" most if not all the plastic taste out of them.

Rinse really, really well, dry and use.

Thanks I will try that tonight!!! I really like the feel of the plastic Whistle Drip Tip I have, but I can't stand the plastic taste.

@bondo Thanks, I never thought about Varnish that could be on a wood drip tip. A vape shop close to me just started selling some exotic hardwood drip tips, but they are $28.00 each. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money on a single drip tip.

@pulsevape I am worried about glass tips breaking too!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks I will try that tonight!!! I really like the feel of the plastic Whistle Drip Tip I have, but I can't stand the plastic taste.

@bondo Thanks, I never thought about Varnish that could be on a wood drip tip. A vape shop close to me just started selling some exotic hardwood drip tips, but they are $28.00 each. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money on a single drip tip.

@pulsevape I am worried about glass tips breaking too!
Most wooden drip tips (reputable ones at least) are sealed with beeswax instead of varnish. You can thank the centuries-old didgeridoo industry for that one hahaha

VU Sponsors