Become a Patron!

Best ohm dual coil for high wattage

packers2430

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys I was just wondering what ohm coils work best when running in higher watts on a regulated box mod. It's an ipv3 with Sony vtc4s, Iv been using mechs for a long time and making coils but always stayed mostly around the .3 to .4 ohm range with 26 gauge and just curious for those who go high in watts at times what are your coils at, should the be a higher ohm or lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've really been enjoying big coils with my Sigelei.
Each coil at 2 ohms for a total of 1 ohm :)
Wrappin em on a fairly large mandrel
10/11 wrap

I really see no need for the low builds on a regulated mod because it has plenty of power to push those big coils.

packers2430

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree with what your saying, the build I have now is just over 1 ohm dual coil. With mechs to get decent hits I had to build low, this is why I got a box mod like this. I was just unsure if I could turn the watts up on a 1 ohm dual coil and still be safe basically or if there's a rough ohm range most stay around when they go over 70 watts for example. I'm usually around 30 to 40 watts most if not all day but I'd like to sometimes for some juices crank it up for a few hits but still be safe doing so.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds perfect to me.
I also seem to stay between 30 and 40 watts. In fact most the time I am very happy at 30.
But sometimes I do like to make low builds and with thick gauge wire and will run those between 50 to 65 watts

packers2430

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If I want to go high wattage on one of my RDAs is it better to build one of them around say .4 ohms , I'm kind of curious how some of my juices will change in terms of flavor and vapor production closer to 100 watts, but by no means would it be an all day set up.

My all day set up is a big Buddha built to .8, dual coil at 30 watts , that's only because it's not possible to drip while at work or of course driving and it holds a ton of juice.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know if it would be better, per se.
But I have never been able to comfortably vape at 100 watts with any build as of yet.
Way fuckin hot!
I have a single coil build 20g kanthal reads 0.2 ohms and anything above 70 75 is too damn hot.
I tried at 100w and that shit bout instantly cooked my lungs :eek:
But when I build a couple small builds say .5 or so I actually find that they vape better at lower watt rather than higher

packers2430

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I tried a few close to 100 watts, the heat doesn't bother me that much, or it hasn't yet, I just don't see it as something id be doing all day long, I like that I can make larger diameter coils at around 1 ohm, fit a larger piece of cotton thru it and vape it fine with this where on my mechs it would barely do anything.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like that I can make larger diameter coils at around 1 ohm, fit a larger piece of cotton thru it and vape it fine with this where on my mechs it would barely do anything.

Hell yeah, I love being able to make coils that have a ton of surface area.

For the last couple few days I've just been running a single coil.
Twisted 28 gauge 7 wraps reads 0.9 and blowin clouds every bit as well as a duel coil set up would.
But damn what a juice drinkin son of a gun!
It's on my Tugboat v1 which has a pretty nice deep well but I have to drip after three or four hits.
I love it! But I'm going through 20mils a day easy :D

packers2430

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I believe it. I'm looking for a new RDA soon, I use a plume veil most of the time but want something that I can get good airflow out of as well as a quick build, I like having 4 posts for dual coils instead of one post in the middle to fit each one thru. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

How do you like the Sigelei? Iv looked at the SMY 260 also but Leary with them cause of the god mod and I'll never go to 260 watts anyways. If I found a regulated box mod that went to 50 watts that had all the display functions or more of the IPV 3 and Sigelei I'd grab it in a second.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I absolutely LOVE my Sigelei!
Only thing I don't like is the adjustable pin. Reverse threaded and always backing out on just really annoying. But I gues they fixed that problem with the newer ones.
I'm gonna grab up an istick 50 watt from vapordna once they are back in stock

I really like that the Sigelei can fire down to 0.15
The SMY only down to 0.5 if I remember right. And I don't think I really like that.

I only have three post rdas. Infact I've given most of my RDAs away and just use my Tugboat every day.

But last night I did order this
BaalRDA_grande.jpg

And am very excited about that.
Has big post holes which I like.

packers2430

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm going to look that up tonight, looks pretty nice. The SMY fires down to .3 but that seems pretty stupid to me to set it to .3 when most mods will go lower, my IPV after the update can go down to .08, I'm never going to go that low but nice to know if i miss a wrap etc and end up under what I thought. Iv been looking at the dark horse RDA also I almost grabbed one last weekend but didn't, Iv been liking building on 28mm RDAs more too, easier to work with larger hands, for me at least but notices flavor is less then my 22mm ones.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A build being able to handle big power is more about the amount of metal being heated. Lots of wraps of thick wire. It'll stay hot longer though after the button is released.

Hey guys I was just wondering what ohm coils work best when running in higher watts on a regulated box mod. It's an ipv3 with Sony vtc4s, Iv been using mechs for a long time and making coils but always stayed mostly around the .3 to .4 ohm range with 26 gauge and just curious for those who go high in watts at times what are your coils at, should the be a higher ohm or lower?

I do a coil split in 2 so 5 wraps them another 5 wraps so u have more cotton ive done quads but it drops your ohms 2 low

I do 10 wraps split into 2 5 wraps so you have 2 times the cotton so no dry hits

I believe it. I'm looking for a new RDA soon, I use a plume veil most of the time but want something that I can get good airflow out of as well as a quick build, I like having 4 posts for dual coils instead of one post in the middle to fit each one thru. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I totally dig my eLeaf iStick 50w. Don't remember the specs of the top of my head, but I believe it fires 0.2ohms. 4400mah battery with passthrough, so it lasts me a couple days without needing a recharge. Displays your ohms, voltage, and wattage when you fire.

Running it with a Mutation X v4 RDA. Four post design without any weird screws, just standard philips. Deep juice well. CRAZY airflow options for cloud chasing and flavor chasing. Comes with spare O-rings, a derlin drip tip adapter in case you don't like the wide bore it comes with, and a little screwdriver. Top all that off with a $30-$35 price tag! It's pretty fly IMHO... happy hunting

i have 2 26g 8 wrap parallel coils at .6 ohms I run at 120 watts and its not not even a hot vape. I try to keep my coils around .6-.8 when I use my ipv

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i have 2 26g 8 wrap parallel coils at .6 ohms I run at 120 watts and its not not even a hot vape. I try to keep my coils around .6-.8 when I use my ipv
With that resistance you're not actually hitting 120 watts. That would require over 8 volts and your mod won't output voltage that high.

Datrebor

ECF Refugee
This is sounding confusing. The number of loops, diameter of the wire, and the ohms. Then for Power mode the wattage setting too. One thing I like about the coils you buy and replace is they have the wattage range on the side. I have an Gemini with a dual 9 loop 26g SS316 at .73 ohms and not sure what range to fire it at.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is sounding confusing. The number of loops, diameter of the wire, and the ohms. Then for Power mode the wattage setting too. One thing I like about the coils you buy and replace is they have the wattage range on the side. I have an Gemini with a dual 9 loop 26g SS316 at .73 ohms and not sure what range to fire it at.
if your mod shows the voltage along with the wattage, or allows you to adjust in voltage mode, try a range from 3.5 to 4v as a starting place for any coil on any setup. the wattage to hit that range of voltage changes depending on coil resistance (4v at 1.2 ohms is 13w, at .12 ohms its 133w) so its easier to think in voltage (imo).

Datrebor

ECF Refugee
if your mod shows the voltage along with the wattage, or allows you to adjust in voltage mode, try a range from 3.5 to 4v as a starting place for any coil on any setup. the wattage to hit that range of voltage changes depending on coil resistance (4v at 1.2 ohms is 13w, at .12 ohms its 133w) so its easier to think in voltage (imo).

No its only VW or TC. At .73 ohm 47.5w its 5.89v. I took it apart and one of the wicks was, I think, burnt. It was a little darker and it was in two pieces. The other was fine but I replace both. Now its at .52 ohm. It seems to be tasty at 60w. But if I pull a deeper draw for more cloud its harsh. It seems to me that if a coil should be between say 80 - 110w and if I go below 80w its harsh like if I went over 110w. Why is that?

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
According to steam engine best ohm rating for the mod I'm using (Smok H-Priv 220w) is a 0.29ohm build though for higher wattages I tend to aim for about 0.15

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No its only VW or TC. At .73 ohm 47.5w its 5.89v. I took it apart and one of the wicks was, I think, burnt. It was a little darker and it was in two pieces. The other was fine but I replace both. Now its at .52 ohm. It seems to be tasty at 60w. But if I pull a deeper draw for more cloud its harsh. It seems to me that if a coil should be between say 80 - 110w and if I go below 80w its harsh like if I went over 110w. Why is that?
yeah at 5 or 6 volts the wicking material takes a bit of stress and things are a bit hot. thats why i was recommending you try to start at 3.5 to 4v. if you are going to vape at that voltage, you have to get your wicks perfect so they dont dry out half way through a puff. you also have to get your actual inhale perfect too. you cant take a long slow relaxing draw at 5.9v because the coils are heating up so fast. the harder you inhale on that atomizer, the more air is forced onto your coils, the cooler they get. try changing your inhale and open up your airflow, or turn your voltage down to the 4v range and see if either of those things helps.

Datrebor

ECF Refugee
yeah at 5 or 6 volts the wicking material takes a bit of stress and things are a bit hot. thats why i was recommending you try to start at 3.5 to 4v. if you are going to vape at that voltage, you have to get your wicks perfect so they dont dry out half way through a puff. you also have to get your actual inhale perfect too. you cant take a long slow relaxing draw at 5.9v because the coils are heating up so fast. the harder you inhale on that atomizer, the more air is forced onto your coils, the cooler they get. try changing your inhale and open up your airflow, or turn your voltage down to the 4v range and see if either of those things helps.

To get the volts down that low I have to lower the watts to 30 then I don't taste much.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
22AWG and 24AWG are great for low resistance/higher wattage if you're running just straight up coils in either dual or single configuration. I currently have my Avocado24 set up with dual 9 wrap(2mmID, 24AWG) for a .3ohm build. I run it at 55W and it ramps up beautifully and I release about a second before Im done inhaling. I dont usually go any higher than 60W on the simple coils, its the claptons, braided, chains, and twisteds that I use higher wattage for, and I rarely get a chance to build those.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Depends on the result you want. Flavor... you adjust the watts to the taste you like. Clouds.. well...

22ga nichrome 2 strand parallel, 10 wraps on a 3.5 id core (dual coil)
You would need at least around 200w
and drip every pull. lol

2x 10 wrap per side (quad coil) would work too. Just a theoretical build. Ive done one.. lol CLOUDS BRO

Use geek vapes ss staggered fused Clapton paralleled with 26g kanthal, 5 wrapes of ss and 6 wraps ka around 3.5 bit. Should be .1-.11 and will do 200w and be great on a mason series 2 24 rda. You need serious airflow for 200w hits to not burn your cotton.

VU Sponsors