Become a Patron!

Best quality wire snips?

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My coil master wire cutters are getting loose and dull. What are the best wire snips out there?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My coil master wire cutters are getting loose and dull. What are the best wire snips out there?

Ask Ray. He has a $40 pair of Lindstrom flush cutters that he swears by. I use tin snips for big stuff and scissors for little stuff like ribbon. I've been using the same stuff since I started and it all still works great.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Clee2010

Member For 4 Years
I use Protos and they lasted a couple of years before dulling, never loosened. I would say anything not made in China with a full warranty like proto, mac, snap on, wera, knipex, etc. Would be your best bet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
if all else fails, nail clippers lol
am I the only one here the resharpens their cutters...?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Please tell me how? I do sharpen my scissors carefully. I try to keep em clean and sharp, but once in a while I am lazy and need to cut something that I should not with them..... I tend to shy from sharpening because I know that if you dont do it right, you can actually mess them up.

marco67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use Hako angle cutters, not made for SS wire.
My criteria for cutters Angle, small size, ability to seize cut ends..yes, I've stepped on a few..

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For thin wires, I don't use any cutters at all. I use RTAs with small chambers so the wire needs to be cut very close. So for thinner wires like 26AWG and thinner, I find that breaking the legs by wiggling them gets me a much closer break then any cutter I have used.

When I used thicker wires I used to use flush cutters I bought off fasttech and worked fine for me. I bet they have the same ones at HarborFreight for cheaper. Fasttech has decent prices on vape but I find many of their tools are way overpriced.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear ya! Time is my most valuable commodity and so I stopped buying disposable tools around the age of 30. No offense to those who do but its just not worth it for me.

Yep, same here. That and long ago when I was in High School I used to be a wrench head, too many times I've lost skin from shitty tools breaking, stripping, etc., etc.. Life is too short to waste your time and loose skin and blood due to shitty tools ;)

rant
I also hear people bitching about hex screws claiming they strip and pimping slot grubs. I'm confident to say 99.99% is due to them using the shit quality Allen key included and/or shit quality cheap Chinese Allen Keys. The Hex nut was created because Slot and Phillips strip so easily ;)
/rant

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For thin wires, I don't use any cutters at all. I use RTAs with small chambers so the wire needs to be cut very close. So for thinner wires like 26AWG and thinner, I find that breaking the legs by wiggling them gets me a much closer break then any cutter I have used.

When I used thicker wires I used to use flush cutters I bought off fasttech and worked fine for me. I bet they have the same ones at HarborFreight for cheaper. Fasttech has decent prices on vape but I find many of their tools are way overpriced.
Works fine for basic wire, not so much for anything like Clapton, Fused Clapton's, etc.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use these for snipping 12 AWG electrical wires. love 'em

032886910845.jpg

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-8-in-Diagonal-Cutting-Pliers/50081450

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, same here. That and long ago when I was in High School I used to be a wrench head, too many times I've lost skin from shitty tools breaking, stripping, etc., etc.. Life is too short to waste your time and loose skin and blood due to shitty tools ;)

rant
I also hear people bitching about hex screws claiming they strip and pimping slot grubs. I'm confident to say 99.99% is due to them using the shit quality Allen key included and/or shit quality cheap Chinese Allen Keys. The Hex nut was created because Slot and Phillips strip so easily ;)
/rant
Yes! I want to reach for a tool and have it work every time!!! Speaking of hex did you check out the Stewart Macdonald driver set i posted a while back? I think you'll appreciate it. I'm a guitar luthier so use it every day.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes! I want to reach for a tool and have it work every time!!! Speaking of hex did you check out the Stewart Macdonald driver set i posted a while back? I think you'll appreciate it. I'm a guitar luthier so use it every day.

Think I missed that one, I have a set of Whia I've been using.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think im going for the tronex 5223 and the 5082. The 5082 looks like it'll easily be able to reach in and clip leads between post and coil. Sweet just what im looking for

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think im going for the tronex 5223 and the 5082. The 5082 looks like it'll easily be able to reach in and clip leads between post and coil. Sweet just what im looking for

Cool, I think you'll really like them, I sure do.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kisianik

Member For 4 Years
Crap
I missed that thread when I was looking for some quality cutters http://vapingunderground.com/thread...rs-anyone-who-owns-those.335740/#post-1789117
Now I am waiting for Erem 822N Swiss made flush cutters, according to data sheet and some other resources, those are guaranteed to cut 15 AWG SS or even larger if counting precise hardness of the wire - I found the source where it is stated that 1.5mm (approximately 15 AWG) SS 316L wire has 500 MPa and Erem 822N is guaranteed to cut 1.2mm of 800 MPa.

Just another 2 cents

VU Sponsors