Become a Patron!

Best Settings for Titanium Wire Temp Control?

6gun

Member For 4 Years
I have an IPV4 and just built dual 11 wrap ti grade 1 coils. It works but its weird. It only works when the temp is above 460 f.

If anybody is experienced with titanium coils in temp control, I would like to know what settings I should be using.

Also, any news on how safe this stuff is? Seeing as how a few subtanks are coming with ti coils now, I can't see why this would be unsafe.

adamwineguy

Founder, 10 Vape Commandments
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You definitely need to be careful building with titanium. It can easily give off toxic fumes if you're running it too hot. The pre built titanium coils are usually a little safer than building your own unless you're pretty experienced with the metal. I've used pre built titanium coils in my Joyetech Ego One Mega and Joyetech Delta II tanks. I personally think titanium gets the best flavor out of your juice from my experience so far. But I'm not building my own coils with it yet. I need to do more research before I feel confident using my own titanium wraps. Another thing to consider is the actual chip in your mod needs the specific capability to fire titanium, unless it has a bypass/mech mod mode like the Yihi SX Mini M class. Any mod using the new Yihi 350J chip and the latest firmware will have the option to fire titanium.

Just be careful, and read up. Err on the side of caution.

6gun

Member For 4 Years
Yeah I've got the update for my ipv4. I've done some more research as well. So anyone wondering I have some advice on the matter. If youre building Ti coils similar to mine you should find that 300-320 degrees f works best. Your ipv4 should let you know that your running out of juice when it starts putting out less and less vapor, but at these temperatures it shouldn't actually burn. I have been running this build with these settings for over a week and haven't had one burnt vape.

Also when it comes to safety, titanium dioxide is where the danger comes in. It is really only hazardous if directly inhaled, but it is only produced at a temperature high enough to actually make the coils glow. So if you run it at temperatures that are suited for vaping you should never have this problem. Also if you are building the coils and MUST glow them you will form titanium dioxide. It appears as a white coating on the coils which can be wiped off with some rubbing alcohol. Again it wont hurt you if you form titanium dioxide unless you inhale it.

Also from what I understand titanium dioxide is only mildly toxic. So its not good but if you make a mistake it wont do you much harm. Again its pretty hard to make a mistake big enough to expose your lungs to this stuff. The only way I can see this happening is if you severely under wick your coils (to the point where almost no cotton is in contact with the coils... so this is pretty much impossible).

Feel free to do your own research on the substance, as I am merely one guy on the internet but I am telling you what I have read.

Another note for building titanium coils, this stuff is REALLY springy, so get ready to put some force in to your wraps to get them to stay where you want them.

adamwineguy

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for that info, it's completely inline with what I've read and heard so far.

Out of curiosity, does your ipv4 have dry wick sensing? That's one of the incredible features of the SX Mini M class... it'll actually throw you a "dry wick" error and won't fire if there isn't enough juice absorbed. It's got me kinda mind boggled how these new tc box mods are communicating with the coils with such precision. The SX Mini M class has by far been my most astonishing mod purchase I've made to date. Came with a hefty price tag, but I am extremely happy with the purchase. And I know the prices will start to fall. Especially once more manufacturers start incorporating this Yihi 350J chip into their mods. I'm almost positive the Sig 75 tc uses this chip, and I know there's a couple other producers already using this chip too. I believe the next flask model is supposed to use it (it may already be available, not sure).

Side note- IPV's are great mods too. I rocked an IPV Mini II 70W for a while and couldn't be happier before I dove into the temp controlled world.

6gun

Member For 4 Years
Yes it does have a dry coil feature. If you pull out your wick or completely dry it out it will give you "dry coil, no liquid" on the screen. Its pretty cool.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

6gun

Member For 4 Years
Whats also cool is the fact that it gradually turns the voltage down as the coils dry to avoid a dry hit. I litteraly dont have to worry about dry hits anymore.

adamwineguy

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know! No dry hits and no burnt cotton :)

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's some odd information in this thread...

I run my Ti coils (that I build) anywhere from 450-500.

6gun

Member For 4 Years
Whoa. Strange, if i run my coils that hot i will get burnt cotton when they dry.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoa. Strange, if i run my coils that hot i will get burnt cotton when they dry.

I have a variety of different toppers and several TC devices. You have to wick properly, but I can't run any of them at 350 and get any sort of vape! And, of course with TC you never get a dry hit as long as you lock the temp correctly.

Actually, I just checked - I'm currently running a .27 spaced 3mm coil in a subtank at 520 degrees and 45 watts. I've wicked pretty heavily with rayon.

adamwineguy

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow, 520 degrees seems way hot. Is that with a Ti coil? If so I'd be careful. You don't want Ti getting hot enough to glow. But I understand your dilemma. Running a Ti coil at a safe temp doesn't produce enough vapor. Running it hot enough to produce good vapor can also produce toxins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6gun

Member For 4 Years
I have a variety of different toppers and several TC devices. You have to wick properly, but I can't run any of them at 350 and get any sort of vape! And, of course with TC you never get a dry hit as long as you lock the temp correctly.

Actually, I just checked - I'm currently running a .27 spaced 3mm coil in a subtank at 520 degrees and 45 watts. I've wicked pretty heavily with rayon.

Is that a prebuilt coil head or did you rebuild it on a deck?

I have my ipv4 with a turbo rda rockin dual 11 wrap non spaced 24ga coils at .24 wicked with cotton. I have it set to 320 F max temp and 75.0J and get just as big if not bigger clouds than a similar kanthal build.

Even so 520 F is still within safe temperature range for titanium.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium (scroll to chemical properties)

Also what mod are you currently using with those settings?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is that a prebuilt coil head or did you rebuild it on a deck?

I have my ipv4 with a turbo rda rockin dual 11 wrap non spaced 24ga coils at .24 wicked with cotton. I have it set to 320 F max temp and 75.0J and get just as big if not bigger clouds than a similar kanthal build.

Even so 520 F is still within safe temperature range for titanium.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium (scroll to chemical properties)

Also what mod are you currently using with those settings?

RBA deck - on the VT.

And, remember, if the coil is glowing it's burning the cotton. Which of course shouldn't happen with TC!

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow, 520 degrees seems way hot. Is that with a Ti coil? If so I'd be careful. You don't want Ti getting hot enough to glow. But I understand your dilemma. Running a Ti coil at a safe temp doesn't produce enough vapor. Running it hot enough to produce good vapor can also produce toxins.

600°F dry, without cotton, won't glow.

adamwineguy

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for that info Curly

VU Sponsors