Become a Patron!

Best stuff for cleaning labware/bottles

Azyre

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Star San. If you haven't tried it, you need to. (No, I don't work for them) I love this stuff. Cleans my bottles and labware in a flash, leaves no odor, food safe. It is primarily used for disinfecting brewing equipment. I put a bit of it in the sink with a lot of hot water and dump all my stuff in. You don't *need* to rinse, but I always do. From a brewing site:
Star San is an acid-based no-rinse sanitizer that is effective and easy to use.
  • Made from food-grade phosphoric acid, safe for people and the environment.
  • Star San is self-foaming, which helps it to penetrate cracks and crevices.
  • Odorless and flavorless, no need to worry about tainting your juice.
  • Does not require rinsing when used at the recommended dilution.
  • Use only 1 oz Star San per 5 gallons of water and just 1 to 2 minutes of contact time.
  • Used as a soaking solution, it can also be applied by hand (wear gloves) or with a spray bottle.
  • Reusable: a solution of Star San will remain effective for up to three to four weeks in a sealed container; it is effective as long as the pH is 3 or lower.
It is safe for use on all surfaces, but use caution since it is an acid; contact with soft metals, rubber, and plastic should be kept to a minimum. Star San is environmentally friendly, biodegradable, and will not harm septic systems.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very informative. Thank you.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looks great. Thank you. Just checked it out on Amazon. Where do you purchase it?

Azyre

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I got mine on Amazon since I have Prime, but a google search will have lots of places with it.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got mine on Amazon since I have Prime, but a google search will have lots of places with it.
Prime is awesome. Just wanted to check that Amazon was the best. I saw a few other sites but thought maybe you knew a secret =)
Thank you!

Vaperstek

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We use this in the lab http://www.labdepotinc.com/Product_Details~id~338~pid~12662.aspx

Its a bit pricey, but it cleans very well, and only takes a very small amount per gallon. We mix it in tepid water, add to container to be cleaned then use a brush or just shake and it is guaranteed to get everything out of whatever it is you are cleaning, especially glass. After rinsing out with tap water, warm that is, rinse with cold, then one more rinse with distilled water, especially in "hard" water, since any hardness will affect titration of nicotine on the PH scale. A half gallon size( about $65) Will last you a verrrryyyyy long time.

OneLief

Unique and Ingenious Title
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Star San. If you haven't tried it, you need to. (No, I don't work for them) I love this stuff. Cleans my bottles and labware in a flash, leaves no odor, food safe. It is primarily used for disinfecting brewing equipment. I put a bit of it in the sink with a lot of hot water and dump all my stuff in. You don't *need* to rinse, but I always do. From a brewing site:
Star San is an acid-based no-rinse sanitizer that is effective and easy to use.
  • Made from food-grade phosphoric acid, safe for people and the environment.
  • Star San is self-foaming, which helps it to penetrate cracks and crevices.
  • Odorless and flavorless, no need to worry about tainting your juice.
  • Does not require rinsing when used at the recommended dilution.
  • Use only 1 oz Star San per 5 gallons of water and just 1 to 2 minutes of contact time.
  • Used as a soaking solution, it can also be applied by hand (wear gloves) or with a spray bottle.
  • Reusable: a solution of Star San will remain effective for up to three to four weeks in a sealed container; it is effective as long as the pH is 3 or lower.
It is safe for use on all surfaces, but use caution since it is an acid; contact with soft metals, rubber, and plastic should be kept to a minimum. Star San is environmentally friendly, biodegradable, and will not harm septic systems.
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Why not just use a vinegar, and water solution, if you want to go the acidic route? IMO, way cheaper.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why not just use a vinegar, and water solution, if you want to go the acidic route? IMO, way cheaper.
Agreed.

Sterilizes too.

I don't get the sterile thing for diy juice. PG, VG, flavorings are all shelf stable ingredients that are not a conducive environment for microbes.

Plus you are VAPORIZING it. What is gonna live through that???

Unless you are trying to sell your juice, I really see no reason to be super anal about it.

I reuse bottles. Rinse and soak in hot water and air dry. Still alive.

VU Sponsors