Become a Patron!

Best type of cotton?

Brady_Bunch_27

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been bouncing around between different types of cotton including Cotton Bacon but I am not able to find some that consistently works well. I change it every three days so its always pretty fresh. Please help!

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've used Japanese organic, Natural Wicks and Elfwick (which is hemp, rather than cotton). IMO the easiest to work with is Natural Wicks and the best-performing, at least in an RDA, is Elfwick.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've gone thru silica, ekowool, cotton yarn, rayon, organic cotton balls, and 2 types of japanese organic cotton, ko gen doh and Shiseido; my favorite is the Shiseido cotton; it's a little cheaper than the KGD, the pads are a little larger (I need long wicks for my Achilles), and there is little or no "break-in" time at all. If you order from Nordstrom, you get free shipping.

Andria

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Shiseido isn't organic. At least, I haven't seen any that is.
All the Shiseido I have seen is bleached.

Anyway, what is best is all a matter of opinion and how you vape. Different people like different things.
Some people wont be able to tell a difference between different wicks, others will notice if there is even a slight difference.

As for longevity, the only thing I notice to effect longevity is how you vape.
-Doesn't matter if you vape hot or cool, as long as you don't burn the cotton, it will last a lot longer.
-And, This is just something I've noticed and is my best hypothesis for an explanation: If you drip, it doesn't matter how much you vape, the cotton will last *a lot* longer as long as you don't let it sit for long periods soaked in liquid when not vaping (ie, bed, work). If you consistently use the same build on the same RDA, then you will get to know it and recognize when you need to drip before burning the cotton. So when your ready to stop vaping for the night, vape it until the cotton gets dry before going to bed. When your vaping, liquid mostly just evaporates from the coils. The liquid in the wicks will evaporate as well, but it is always being replenished from dripping so it wont thicken up and result in thick deposits throughout the wick, it flows to the coils and gets evaporated properly with gunk only forming around the coils. But when you stop vaping for long periods of time, liquid evaporating naturally from the wicks will cause the remaining liquid in the wicks to thicken up and gunk up the wicks since the liquid isn't being vaporized by the coils and getting replenished with fresh liquid from dripping. I have found such a difference that if I dry out the cotton before going to bed, then it will stay pretty clean for over a week with gunk only forming around the coils themselves. Otherwise the cotton in it's entirety will get gunked up within a few days. It's like a stream flowing, when there is a strong current (like when you are vaping), it's carrying sediment with it, but when the current slows down (you stop vaping), the sediment can settle out of the water and build up over time.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use pima cotton, best cotton ive ever used.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love cotton Bacon V2 so far...I want to try Elf Wick and Natural Wicks next...but CB V2 so far is much better then normal Japanese Cotton.
Wicks Insanly Fast
No Break in for flavor
Heat resistant and when you do dry hit its not as noticeable if you juice it and keep vaping.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just use Sally;'s Salon Coil Cotton. Works nice and a lifetime supply for under $4.
And it is Merican cotton.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Shiseido isn't organic. At least, I haven't seen any that is.
All the Shiseido I have seen is bleached.

Anyway, what is best is all a matter of opinion and how you vape. Different people like different things.
Some people wont be able to tell a difference between different wicks, others will notice if there is even a slight difference.

You might be right about Shiseido not being organic, as I could not find that word on any of their pkging. But I don't think the fact of bleaching has anything to do with organic or inorganic; both chlorine and hydrogen peroxide are organic elements. The organic cotton balls I've used were just as white, so probably also bleached, and they DO say "organic" right on the pkg.

What I find with Shiseido is that the taste is every bit as good, true, and clear as with the organic cotton balls, but in a format that's easier to work with and lends itself to vaping better; i.e., the aligned fibers promote excellent capillary action. I prefer their taste over KGD's, and also their size -- perfect length for the long wicks an Achilles requires -- and I find that Shiseido cotton really has little to no break-in period -- maybe 3-5 hits, tops -- unlike KGD and all other cotton I've tried.

But as you note, it's really all a matter of preference, and what one gets accustomed to; I found a huge diff in the quality of the flavor when I tried the organic cotton balls, so I used those for quite a while; after a friend PIF'ed me samples of KGD and Shiseido, I quickly came to prefer the Shiseido, as the flavor was just as good as the organic cotton balls, but they're easier and faster to use for making wicks. KGD isn't bad, but they do have a break-in period similar to organic cotton balls, and since they're smaller, they're not as convenient for my own use, and they also cost a little more.

Andria

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I started with Organic Cotton Balls, used Sally's Rayon for awhile, and now using KJD as it's so much easier to wick my coils.
Flavor ain't bad either, and small break in period.
Haven't tried any CB or Shiseido yet.

Brady_Bunch_27

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@zaroba i agree with what you said about not letting it sit in the wick but my daily user is a Bellus RTA so i dont have much of a choice unfortunately.

@vuJim i may try what he suggested with the Elfwick

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Kendo, Koh Gen Do, Cotton Bacon are all good. Any that claim to be organic japanese cotton will likely be fine. Those who claim to be able to tell the difference between them has a better olfactory device than I was built with...

11thcup

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A local shop sold me on Cotton Bacon, which is just way easier to work with than typical organic cotton. I like it a lot, and found no reason to change, until I made a big wire order from kidney puncher, needed wick too, and they were out of CB.

Native Wicks is what I ordered, and it works very well, BUT requires a little more work to perform as well as the Bacon. I cut off the length I need, then pull and loosen it before rolling it back into a wick-friendly shape. As it comes, the fibers are just too tight to actually hold much juice, though they do transfer it well.
(As in, it sucked juice up really well, but in RDAs, where I want the wick to hold juice, was a PITA. I have no real time with RTAs, but in stock form, Native Wicks might be better there as their job is to move juice from the tank to the coil)

Finally, if you're just starting out, your wicking could make a bigger difference than the wicking material itself. For me, native Wicks pulled looser is pretty equal to, or maybe a touch better than cotton Bacon, which are both better than plain 'ole organic cotton. But I could make a decent vape, wicking with organic cotton.
So my advice, really, is to try different things with with you have. No particular form of cotton will cut it until you figure out how you like your wicks.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For about $5 I have enough to re-wick every few days for almost 2 years. I use a whole piece for 2 coils in my RDA's, but even then it will take a while to go through 200 of them. I have some CB, but find it harder to get consistent wick sizes. I'm just using it in my single coil tanks until I finish it. I don't feel it works any better, and for the money I don't see myself buying anymore of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TCD51A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been bouncing around between different types of cotton including Cotton Bacon but I am not able to find some that consistently works well. I change it every three days so its always pretty fresh. Please help!
I typically use Cotton Bacon, but that's because I'm too lazy to unroll a cotton ball. The absolutely lightest, fluffiest cotton I've run across came outta bottle of capsules...not enough 'structure', to get it thru a set of coils...

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I love cotton bacon. Like my organic cotton balls too. Best flavor to date has been from Drago/Egyptian cotton. Hard to wick and taste like a t shirt at first, but the flavor is top notch.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I personally love the Cotton Bacon V2 (CB). I tried some various pads and they didnt work out well for me, switched to CB and bam, no more issues. I do have some Native Wick cotton Ive yet to try, as well as a couple other sample packs of pads from other brands, but so far the CB works so well I havent had reason to switch, and the shop by my apartment sells the pack of CB for $2.99 which is same price as the pads.

I really like the already prepped and readiness of the CB compared to having to peel apart the pads and cut them to size. With the CB its already fluffy and in strips and I just pull of what I need.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sally,s Salon Coil Cotton is very much like Cotton Bacon. 12 years worth was under $4.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Muji cotton pads for me. I like them because its easier to work with. I could never get a dense wick with the Bacon. I like my wicks super tight.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Puffs organic cotton pads work for me.
ALL cotton has a "taste" when you first wick. So for me, it comes down to cost and ease of use. Cotton balls are a bigger PIA then pads IMO.

Everyone seems to be sold on this or that "special" cotton. It's all cotton man. It all tastes the same, with the exception of chemicals added to bleach it.

If you want to spend a lot of money on cotton, be my guest.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got some cellucotton rayon and WOW !! Love it .......no cotton taste and great wicking and flavor delivery. No complaints.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Just got some cellucotton rayon and WOW !! Love it .......no cotton taste and great wicking and flavor delivery. No complaints.

Good to hear. I have a sample coming from one of the members at eliquid-recipes, looking forward to trying it.

When I first started making my own coils I watched some videos and a couple of them said you needed to peel off the outer layers on pads. Which I have been doing. Then I started wondering about that, so saved a few of the outer layers. Wicked a dual fused clapton with just those outer layers and it wicks just fine, can't really tell any difference. Chain vaped it and the wicks kept up, no dry hits...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good to hear. I have a sample coming from one of the members at eliquid-recipes, looking forward to trying it.

When I first started making my own coils I watched some videos and a couple of them said you needed to peel off the outer layers on pads. Which I have been doing. Then I started wondering about that, so saved a few of the outer layers. Wicked a dual fused clapton with just those outer layers and it wicks just fine, can't really tell any difference. Chain vaped it and the wicks kept up, no dry hits...

The only time I bother peeling off the outer layer is if my estimation of half the width of it was wrong, and I got too thick a piece for properly wicking a 3/32 coil -- normally I cut the strip, then peel the strip lengthwise in half, making 2 wicks, but sometimes my estimating of half isn't too great. :D Normally my wicks have one of those outer layers, and yeah, they work just as well as the cotton inside the layers.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me I use a few different for wicking.
I did like Cotton Bacon until I read it was just repackaged Sterile Medical/Dental Cotton, so I tried that, yep same thing. I got a 1lb roll for around $15 and it's a huge giant roll. I also really like Koh Gen Do which I use exclusively for my Tanks these two Cottons.

For my RDA's I really like de-gummed Hemp Fiber, especially when rocking my rowdy little friends (my Noisy Cricket's). The advantage with Hemp is when ever you get a burnt hit you just re-juice and go, it won't foul the flavor. Plus it's a lot more durable than cotton. but it does have a short break in period. The brand I use is called Elfwick.

11thcup

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't say I'm surprised, but I hadn't heard that about CB. I'll have to check it out.
Me I use a few different for wicking.
I did like Cotton Bacon until I read it was just repackaged Sterile Medical/Dental Cotton, so I tried that, yep same thing. I got a 1lb roll for around $15 and it's a huge giant roll. I also really like Koh Gen Do which I use exclusively for my Tanks these two Cottons.

For my RDA's I really like de-gummed Hemp Fiber, especially when rocking my rowdy little friends (my Noisy Cricket's). The advantage with Hemp is when ever you get a burnt hit you just re-juice and go, it won't foul the flavor. Plus it's a lot more durable than cotton. but it does have a short break in period. The brand I use is called Elfwick.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last edited:

11thcup

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's getting bookmarked for next time I need cotton

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you able to use straight away?
Yep, I just cut a square off the roll, put it in a box for when I need to wick and pack it away the roll. Usually cut around a 6 inch chunk which roughly equals a pack of Cotton Bacon. Then pull off what I need, it's super thick and fluffy. I really suspect all cotton bacon does is the same. I honestly can't tell any difference. I've even had people at my local B&M try, they couldn't either.

That roll is going to last year's

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Is that the original, or is that medical cotton version 2.0? LOL

I saw a listing on e bay for rayon, 2 six inch pieces of pre rolled coil ready for only $2.35. But wait! You also get free shipping...

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you @r055co
This might be just what I need, much appreciated!
Notta problem, just sharing what's working for me, that's how we all progress ;)

Another thing I really love about the giant rolls is that the fiber runs the "length" not the width. It's so fluffy also, works really well and no break in period.

I equate Cotton Bacon to the G-Plat fiasco. Let's take an existing product, repackage it, give it a fancy name and sell it for a 100x plus mark up.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Lol, my thought exactly. But they were working a 1000x markup...

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is that the original, or is that medical cotton version 2.0? LOL

I saw a listing on e bay for rayon, 2 six inch pieces of pre rolled coil ready for only $2.35. But wait! You also get free shipping...

Yeah, I was in a local store of a national chain vape shop last month. I had to take a double take when I heard them quote to someone $0.25 per square for cotton and $0.50 per 6 inch of Kanthal wire.................. I was there cause I really needed battery wraps, they were $1 a piece ........ They also charge for any builds .......... Insane.

The B&M I hang out at all that is "free" ........................

Anyway as always "Caveat emptor"

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I was in a local store of a national chain vape shop last month. I had to take a double take when I heard them quote to someone $0.25 per square for cotton and $0.50 per 6 inch of Kanthal wire.................. I was there cause I really needed battery wraps, they were $1 a piece ........ They also charge for any builds .......... Insane.

The B&M I hang out at all that is "free" ........................

Anyway as always "Caveat emptor"

"Free" don't feed the bulldog... ;)

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of the few B&M's I have been in wanted $1/sheet for KGD.

I have no problem supporting B&M's, but when it comes to excessive gouging is where I draw the line. I know they have to pay for much more than online business's but there is a limit. I really would get most all my supplies and gear from B&M's, but when I can get it 30+%, sometimes 100+% less online I'll continue to buy online.

I really don't think most get it, consumables like Cotton, Wire, Batteries & wraps, etc. take minimal amount of space and they could regularly sell it with an "acceptable" mark up. Just to pull a figure out I'd say around 15-20% would be fine with me on cotton or wire for example.

Figure (I just looked it up) 1000 ft of 26 gauge Kanthal from Pure Atomist, directly from them goes for $34.00, or smaller spools like 100 ft go for $4.75. They could make respectable profit without gouging the customer "and" build repeat customers. I prefer to deal face to face, but refuse to pay $1 a foot when they get it for less than $0.03 a foot.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I wonder if polymeric foam would work as a wick. It is more absorbent than cotton and has a higher ignition temperature. And the new extruded material kinda looks like cotton.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder if polymeric foam would work as a wick. It is more absorbent than cotton and has a higher ignition temperature. And the new extruded material kinda looks like cotton.
No thank you, I'll stick with Cotton and Hemp Fiber .................

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just throwing this out there.

Koh Gen Do isn't actually Japanese cotton. I had emailed the company asking what region of Japan the cotton was grown in and the response was that it isn't grown in Japan. It is imported from Southern Asia.

japcotton.jpg

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the cotton debate is something that could really be settled in a blind taste test.

i'm using CB right now, but most definitely will be buying a roll of that medical cotton. i'll just pull it apart and refill my CB package,lol.

VU Sponsors