Become a Patron!

better not steeped

cjcaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
seems to me I read somewhere recently that some flavours should not be heat steeped. anyone know anything about this?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
seems to me I read somewhere recently that some flavours should not be heat steeped. anyone know anything about this?

It's likely a matter of opinion. I know that Nicoticket feels that heat spoils their juice. I steep lots of things with no ill effects, but it's important to remember that many steeped juice come together after a couple of days out of the heat.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I think spice flavors suffer when heated too high or too long. Anise/licorice/absinthe flavors seem especially sensitive to me. Orange flavors can fade in heat. Some mints lose their edge. All my opinion, of course.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think spice flavors suffer when heated too high or too long. Anise/licorice/absinthe flavors seem especially sensitive to me. Orange flavors can fade in heat. Some mints lose their edge. All my opinion, of course.

Good point - and aren't these also flavors that fade over time? Perhaps that's why, since heat steeping (up to 150 degrees) generally just fast forwards a few weeks! But maybe heat degrades them even faster than time!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Good point - and aren't these also flavors that fade over time? Perhaps that's why, since heat steeping (up to 150 degrees) generally just fast forwards a few weeks! But maybe heat degrades them even faster than time!

That's exactly how I think of it, Amanda.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only seriously steep tobacco flavors. If I have a very complex, non-spice juice (with no lime), I may pop it in the crockpot for an hour. But most of them are good in a day or two if not right away. However, this was not the case when I was actually buying juice a long time ago - many of those for some reason seemed to need a good long steep.

That may be also because many of us are using a very low percentage of flavoring, and most commercial juices seem to use much more.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
you can over steep your juice as well..
even with tobaccos..
it gets to the point, and you know when it happens.. that the flavors get too muddled..
and that is beyond muted :p

the best thing is time.. after! you know you have mixed all the flavoring, pg,vg and nic together..
make sure you mix enough to last a while.. after a sample size.. to get you thru a month of testing.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you can over steep your juice as well..
even with tobaccos..
it gets to the point, and you know when it happens.. that the flavors get too muddled..
and that is beyond muted :p

the best thing is time.. after! you know you have mixed all the flavoring, pg,vg and nic together..
make sure you mix enough to last a while.. after a sample size.. to get you thru a month of testing.
yup yup agreed

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
. However, this was not the case when I was actually buying juice a long time ago - many of those for some reason seemed to need a good long steep.

That may be also because many of us are using a very low percentage of flavoring, and most commercial juices seem to use much more.
and this here. ...... most vendor/BM but not all equals over flavored. over flavored equals long steep.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am trying to make all my recipes with an 8 hour crock pot step and two days rest in mind. Mostly because I have been putting a little custard in pretty much everything and it really benefits from the steep. So far it seems to me its just some of the fruits that are muted a bit after the steep and rest. For sure the White Peach and Papaya do seem to lose some of their high notes. I can still pick out the flavors but the sour element is what is missing. I haven't noticed that the cool of Peppermint fades or the spiciness of the Cardamom. Mostly every flavor has recovered after the 2 days of rest but I did just get about 30 more flavorings so I have a lot more to play with. The Lemon Sicily seems to keep its high notes but its not a very sour lemon. Maybe the answer is to steep before adding the flavors with a sour element or maybe just up those percentages or perhaps there is an additive that will help. I don't really like my juice slowly changing flavors over the weeks that I am vaping so I like the idea of producing a mature juice right off the bat. I have not noticed changes after that initial steep and rest so far. I am using all FA flavorings BTW.

VU Sponsors