Become a Patron!

Big baby beast help needed

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I recently bought a big baby beast for my first adventure into higher watt vaping. So I washed it out and installed the x4 coil that came with, primed the coil and reassembled. First tank was great at around 65 watts great clouds and flavor. It was all down hill from here. Upon filling the tank for the second time I had sprung a leak. While filling the tank closed the airflow filled to just below the top of the glass and began vaping. I set the mod down after 2 pulls and when I came back every drop of juice was all over the mod and table.

Since then I have tried the sextuple coil that came with the tank and 3 additional x4 coils purchased locally all with the same experience. The tank and coils have all checked out authentic. I have also replaced the glass and every o ring on the tank as well as the filling gasket all with the same result. I discovered a bunch of you tube videos covering leaks for the full size cloud beast ( which has yet to leak on me) and have implemented each of the techniques on the big baby not surprisingly nothing has helped.

I'm truly at a loss of what to do in order to use this tank. Hopefully one of the fantastic people here have had a similar issue and can help me get this fixed. Also has anyone dealt with smok customer service because I'm guessing that needs to be the next step?

Thank you

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Make sure the coil is all the way seated. Apparently alot of the issues with leaking is because the coil was not all the way in place. They can be a little finicky. :)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My wife's baby beast tank was doing the same thing, with the RBA head (never used the purchased coils).
I ended up taking the tank apart, cleaning everything again, all seals, etc. Then wiping everything down with a dry cloth and making sure to get all the gasket crevices on the tank. Then put it all back together and have been vaping on it non stop with no issues (I stole the tank).

My wife has had multiple other tanks leak on her (I build them all). However, when I take the tank and start using it (after cleaning it up) it never leaks. go figure --- The only thing I can come up with is her vaping style. She is a very "light" draw vaper, whereas I take a "deep" vape and I run the temp about twice what she can do.

In your case, based on what you said, I would fully check ALL the gaskets / rings. The coil will have two gaskets. One that is the contact / seal point for the coil to the center pin. The second is the o'ring just at the top of the coil threading. This is the one that usually lets air weep in and not create a good tank vacuum.

upload_2017-1-8_4-55-11.png

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another important o'ring I just remembered. Make sure this one is not torn / missing. This one will really let the juice flow if it is not threaded correctly and the o'ring does not seat nicely. This is where the top cap screws down onto the coil top.

upload_2017-1-8_4-59-49.png

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The only leak I've had with mine was caused by the floating 510 pin on the tank getting stuck. Make sure it is up into the 510 as far as it goes or it allows the base to back out of the coil when you screw the tank together. I just push it down, or tap it lightly, on the counter top.

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I've given this all a shot. I cleaned the tank made sure all the rings were correctly seated and reassembled. I filled the tank and no leaks. I was excited since I prefer the vape of the big baby vs the beast.
Then I had to fill the tank so iclosed the airflow filled closed the top, set the mod down, wiped my hands, capped the bottle and reached for the mod to find juice coming from the airflow holes again.
It appears I am losing the vacuum when the tank is being closed. It's just hard to fathom why it's works for a tank and then leaks like a siv for the second tank. Any ideas?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There is no vacuum to lose on the tank while refilling. I never shut the airflow off to refill. It isn't that, so you can cross it off your list of worries.

All I can think of is an o-ring that was missing from the start, so you never knew it was supposed to be where it never was. BUT that doesn't explain why the first tankful doesn't leak.

If the pin is being jammed upon removal and reinstallation of the tank, that would explain the leak from the refill. BUT if you aren't removing the tank to refill, then the pin isn't the problem, either.

Soooo, from the top...

Prime the coil first.
Screw the coil to the chimney.
Then push on the base of the coil to make sure it's seated.
Then place the glass over the coil and chimney.
Before you screw on the base, make sure the center pin of the 510 moves inward and outward slightly. If it doesn't move at all, it is stuck. If it moves, push the center pin of the 510 as far up into the base as you can (shouldn't require excessive force). It should protrude from the threaded section approximately 1/16".
Prime the coil through the juice windows again.
Now screw the base onto the coil/chimney section.
Put the atty on the mod.
Fill halfway, or even less.
Vape it down a bit.
Refill halfway again with airflow open.
Fill completely on the next refill.

If it leaks after the first half-fill, it's leaking from the bottom o-ring or the coil base.

If it leaks after the complete-fill, it's leaking from the chimney o-ring.

If it doesn't leak...HURRAY!!! lol

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I swear I saw a thread a couple weeks ago by someone with the same problem. I'll see if I can find it, and if there is anything there I missed.

Good luck!

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How hot is the tank getting? Thermal expansion and contraction could be at play. When you slide the top open does anything feel slightly loose? Perhaps a snug up after its warm will help.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All I found was one about some tanks having glass that was too long.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/smok-tanks-leaking.291957/

Don't think this is your problem, or it would leak from go. Stranger things happen, though.

Edit: It's mainly about the tfv4 glass being too long and/or having a bad chimney o-ring. No mention of baby beasts having those issues.

I'm stumped if what I posted earlier doesn't fix it.

Last edited:
My baby beast tank that came with the alien mod came with an extra glass portion (like it should). The extra for mine came mis-manufactured. The ID and overall length are half a mil outta spec that it floats. Its not ling enough and it's ID isn't small enough to fully engage the o rings.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My baby beast tank that came with the alien mod came with an extra glass portion (like it should). The extra for mine came mis-manufactured. The ID and overall length are half a mil outta spec that it floats. Its not ling enough and it's ID isn't small enough to fully engage the o rings.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
My baby beast RBA (purchased separately) appears to have this issue also. I've squashed it tighter on the oring to get it to seal.

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have tried both glass pieces so unless they are both out of spec (which I guess is totally possible) I don't think that is it. I will be giving it another go tomorrow once my next batch of juice arrives. All the testing has put me on a juice shortage. I truly believe the issue is coming from the o ring on the chimney or the refill pad. I'm gonna swap it all out 1 more time before I chalk this one up to a defect. Me being the sucker I am I will probably order another one.

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
SUCCESS!!!!!!!

So I have been vaping to big baby beast for going on an hour now without a drop of liquid leaking.

Turns out I never changed the chimney ring because it ended up in the full size beast box. So when I went to change the rings out tonight before filling. I got to thinking about how you guys had mentioned manufacturing tolerances on the glass. Well the chimney ring that was on the tank is slightly smaller than the extra provided in the bag o goodies. I put the extra on and right away I noticed a difference, the flooding at lower wattages was gone.

I want to thank everyone that chimed in on this issue. You guys rock and if it hadn't have been for the mention of the manufacturing tolerances I would have never thought to look.
Thank you so much

TJN

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’m getting so much airflow on my big baby beast tank even when it’s almost closed completely still a lot of air what could be the cause of this?

TJN

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’ve only noticed this on my old big baby beast after purchasing a brand new tank and that seems to be all airtight with airflow open all the way new tank running beautiful old tank way to much airflow help please

TJN

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok so could it just be that on the new tank its just because it’s a 0.15ohm coil that’s making all the difference to air flow as to old tank with more air flow having 0.4 ohm coil hope that makes sense?

For me, I've found that the 0.4 ohm Q2 coils seem to have more airflow & less flavor than the 0.15 X4 or T8 coils. Haven't tried the T6 but I imagine that they are the same as the T8. The main reason that I don't use the the Q2 coils is ,again for me, because they have to much airflow.

VU Sponsors