Become a Patron!

Big Tobacco Watch - Vape Companies

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A few days ago, RJR announced a Juul competitor to be released in November, to be named Vuse Alto.

I believe that Altria/Philip Morris has a big stake in the Avail Vapors chain of shops. Not sure about other chains.

I am passing through Winston-Salem, soon heading to Richmond, for business. The RJR presence here is very large.

Also, NC reports a mid-pack smoking rate of about 18%. Much like the.northeast where I live. Why then do I seen people smoking everywhere? Not inside, but everywhere else-- it is like 20 years ago up north. Someone's not truthin.'

The good news- there are a lot of vape shops here and I see more people vaping here than I do back home also.

As for the pods. I can't get them to stay working. My 4th try, a Phix, just died today. I don't think it lasted a month. I like that they do the job to some extent (weak on vapor production), but for me, they cost more than the stinkies, as often as they break.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
@KingPin!

https://www.journalnow.com/business...cle_d29b3fa9-8b53-5d0f-aa02-c9e22fd2bb71.html

"Fontem Ventures, which makes blu eCigs for ITG Brands LLC, announced July 13 a partnership with Purilum LLC, which makes e-juice concentrates for vaping, for their Salt of the Earth nicotine salts product line."

I am going to start looking at salt nic suppliers since they are so essentially necessary to these pod systems, going to need to compile a list so any info appreciated. From what I have been reading the consumables side (juices, cartridges, etc....) are what BT want to get the grip on, that and distribution.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
VMR (Huabao) OEM Brands-
- Bullsmokes
- OCB Vap (sic)
- ECG (?)- Cant find much with searches
- Quick Draw
- SVP
- Firavo
- GR Electronic Cigarette

https://www.vmrproducts.com/our-brands/

Working through this list Bullsmokes added

Got to the second one but OCB is a can of worms ...it’s owned by Rebublic Technologies who are both a large distro business and makers of Swan,Zig Zag, OCB etc under Rebublic Technologies UK Ltd

https://republic-technologies.com/en/homepage/

...anyway they partnered up with VMR Products to sell the V2Pro series 3 in Europe (.eu & .cz) using thier distro business as “OCB Vap” (same product) ...looks like that relationship stopped though and it’s now sold as V2 everywhere ....so added that info under Huabao...however; and this bit has got me chasing tales

Zig Zag was, I thought, owned by Turning Point Brands (we listed that earlier under Standard Diversified Inc.) ...turns out Republic Technologies owns Zig Zag for Europe and Tsuge Pipes Owns Zig Zag in Japan ....so are these all one in the same company? I cant find a link between the three in terms of parent

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zig-Zag_(company)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@KingPin!

https://www.journalnow.com/business...cle_d29b3fa9-8b53-5d0f-aa02-c9e22fd2bb71.html

"Fontem Ventures, which makes blu eCigs for ITG Brands LLC, announced July 13 a partnership with Purilum LLC, which makes e-juice concentrates for vaping, for their Salt of the Earth nicotine salts product line."

I can’t access that link mate ...Another perk of being in Europe right now is GDPR that’s just come in to protect private info, there’s something in there that the Eurocrats don’t want us to be tracked with haha

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation(GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact [email protected] or call 336-727-7211

I’ll have to search for that info elsewhere thanks for the heads up

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
"Altria is the parent company of Philip Morris USA, John Middleton, Inc., U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, Inc., Philip Morris Capital Corporation, and Chateau Ste. Michelle Wine Estates. Philip Morris International was spun off in 2008."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altria

Ok thanks mate ill remove Phillip Morris and leave Altria as the main tobacco name in the second page ... this is not as easy as I stupidly thought it was going to be :cry:

Actually Edit: Phillip Morris International is a Spin off in its own right so changed to that and updated the rest under aquisitions

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation(GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact [email protected] or call 336-727-7211

I’ll have to search for that info elsewhere thanks for the heads up

Fuck Em Then:

BAT remains in stride with low-key approach to first year of fully owning Reynolds
British American Tobacco Plc will take a business-as-usual approach Wednesday to its first anniversary of its full ownership of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.

It’s fitting considering BAT has been quite low-key since re-entering the U.S. market through its $54.5 billion purchase of the 57.8 percent of Reynolds it did not already own.

There was no great fanfare with the closing of the deal on July 25, 2017, which completed Reynolds’ transition to becoming the wholly owned U.S. subsidiary of BAT after 142 years of corporate independence. Legacy Reynolds shareholders own 19 percent of BAT.

The main noticeable change was the sudden departure of Debra Crew in January as Reynolds’ top executive after just one year at the helm and just over five months following the BAT takeover. Crew’s departure removed legacy Reynolds management from the head of the company.

Ricardo Oberlander, a Reynolds board member since late 2014, replaced Crew while continuing to serve as BAT’s regional director for the Americas. Oberlander has been with BAT for nearly 30 years and on the BAT management team since 2013.

At last count, Reynolds was estimated to have between 2,000 and 2,200 employees locally, the majority of whom work at its plant in Tobaccoville. However, Forsyth County listed Reynolds with 3,000 workers in its top-10 county employer list in its fiscal 2018-19 budget presentation.

Several city civic and elected officials say BAT’s low profile and limited changes have been an overall positive for the local community.

“Reynolds’ physical presence in the community has not changed, and the company and its employees remain a vital force in the economic, civic and cultural life of the area,” said Mark Owens, president and chief executive of Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce.

Mayor Allen Joines said that “my feeling is that BAT is continuing the strong commitment to the city, both in terms of jobs and community support.”

BAT said in a January 2017 regulatory filing that it “has no plans to close or move the head office in Winston-Salem, nor make any significant changes to the current high-quality manufacturing facilities in North Carolina and Tennessee, nor to the trade marketing team.” Reynolds has an American Snuff Co. production plant in Tennessee.

Durante stressed in a July 2017 interview with the Winston-Salem Journal that “the beauty of this deal is there is very little overlap of the companies, which will make integration much simpler and give us really no reason to change things here.”

Zagros Madjd-Sadjadi, an economics professor at Winston-Salem State University, said there may be a geopolitical aspect for BAT handling Reynolds on a steady-as-you-go basis.

“It’s not surprising given that BAT had been a major shareholder for many years,” Madjd-Sadjadi said.

“In addition, they may be the Trump effect at work because large companies may not wish to consolidate operations overseas with a president who espouses economic nationalism in the White House.”

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Juul challenge
The first anniversary comes as BAT and other leading global tobacco manufacturers have taken two significant blows in recent months to what they hope will be viable and lucrative future revenue sources.

The main domestic issue has been the meteoric and controversial rise of the Juul electronic cigarette over the last year.

Juul, operated by Juul Labs Inc. of San Francisco, entered the mainstream retail marketplace in 2015 and is preparing to enter European markets in the next year.

It is sold in the form of a pen or a USB device. That design makes it easy to hide its usage.

The Juul growth comes despite increased scrutiny from the FDA and criticism from anti-tobacco advocates about anecdotal reports on youths using the product, including while they’re in school.

The market share gap between Juul (68 percent) and R.J. Reynolds Vapor Co.’s Vuse (11.5 percent) continues to widen in recent Nielsen data reports. A year ago, Juul was at 35.7 percent and Vuse at 26 percent.

Juul Labs declared in a regulatory filing July 11 that it has sold $650 million in securitiesfrom a $1.25 billion offering launch June 26. There have been 10 investors to date.

Globally, growth appears to be stalling among consumers of heat-not-burn traditional cigarettes, particularly in Japan where the product has been embraced enough to sharply drive down the sales of combustible traditional cigarettes.

“One of the main challenges the tobacco industry now faces is rapidly developing disruptive technology and the entrance of new players, best epitomized now by Juul,” said David Sweanor, an adjunct law professor at the University of Ottawa and author of several e-cig and other tobacco and health studies.

“Big Tobacco likely has to shed its very risk averse culture if it is to effectively compete in a market that is rapidly transforming,” Sweanor said.

“Particularly when the pace of change will accelerate dramatically if the FDA moves forward on its plans to focus on nicotine’s continuum of risk,” including potentially limiting flavorings and the levels of nicotine in products.

“To date, BAT ownership has likely made Reynolds even more risk averse, and changing that culture is likely one of the major challenges they face in the months ahead,” Sweanor said.

Financial results
It’s clear that having full ownership of Reynolds has bolstered BAT’s revenue and profitability, as well as BAT gaining up to $541 million from the U.S. corporate tax cut.

Nicandro Durante, BAT’s chief executive, said the company projects $400 million in cost savings by July 2020. Oberlander said last week Reynolds is on track to meet that goal.

In BAT’s fiscal 2018 first-half earnings guidance disclosed June 12, it said “the benefit of the U.S. tax reform helping to fund significantly increased investment in next generation products,” such as potential global expansion of its Vuse electronic cigarette, which is No. 2 in market share, and its heat-not-burn traditional cigarette.

“Lower U.S. industry volume, principally in the first quarter, is expected to impact revenue in the first half,” the company said. “Share in the first half is expected to be stable following strong growth at the end of last year.”

For fiscal 2017, BAT reported a 7.8 percent net income increase to a record $8.22 billion.

Revenue rose 37.6 percent to a record $28.2 billion. The U.S. market represented $5.86 billion of that amount — its third largest market behind Western Europe and Asia-Pacific.

“The transformational deal to acquire Reynolds marked a record year in 2017,” BAT Chairman Richard Burrows said in February.

“The group continued to deliver on its commitment to high single-figure constant currency earnings growth, substantially reinforced the long-term sustainability of that growth with the largest acquisition of a tobacco company ever completed and achieved significant success in its next generation products business.”

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Plans for Vuse Alto
The double-digit decline in tobacco manufacturers’ share price since April 19 was spurred mostly by Philip Morris International’s disclosure that it experienced a “less rapid than initially projected growth” in first-quarter sales of Marlboro Heatsticks in the pivotal market of Japan.

The Heatsticks are based on PMI’s iQOS heat-not-burn technology.

Since the PMI Heatsticks news, Altria Group Inc.’s share price has fallen as much as 14.7 percent, BAT has dropped as much as 14.1 percent and Philip Morris International as much as 26.1 percent.

“The industry-wide sell-off in response to Philip Morris’ update on the iQOS shows how much tobacco investors are counting on a successful transition to smoke-free products like vapes and heat-not-burn devices to replace income from cigarettes,” said Jeremy Bowman, a contributing analyst to The Motley Fool.

Bowman said Juul represents the global tobacco manufacturers’ biggest competitive threats since “it offers a product that has become synonymous with the activity itself — Juul is often used as a verb to mean vape.”

“The company is now raising money at a $15 billion valuation. The best move for the tobacco giants may be to buy Juul, form a strategic partnership with it, or make a copycat product.”

Fontem Ventures, which makes blu eCigs for ITG Brands LLC, announced July 13 a partnership with Purilum LLC, which makes e-juice concentrates for vaping, for their Salt of the Earth nicotine salts product line.

Oberlander said last week that Reynolds is preparing for an August national distribution launch of Vuse Alto, its version of the “pod mod” second-generation e-cig.

“It’s surprising to see such as solidly profitable industry sell off like this in just six months,” Bowman said.

“But the investor response makes it clear that tobacco stocks may no longer be the safe bet that they have been for generations.”

Did BAT overpay for Reynolds?
Stephen Pope. managing principal with London-based financial-service firm Spotlight Ideas, said that while “BAT is trying to be positive, there is a sense that overall the outlook for the industry has soured in recent months.”

“Of course, BAT has seen growth from its takeover of Reynolds American,” Pope said.

“However, it is trying to manage a broader secular decline in cigarette demand throughout many regions of the world market.

“If one believes some forecasts that net income is forecast to diminish by 12.6 percent each year for the next five years, BAT needs to leverage Reynolds to claw back market share in the vape market of the U.S. and beyond.”

Tony Plath, who recently retired as a finance professor at UNC Charlotte, said BAT’s decision to pay $54.5 billion for the remaining stake of Reynolds appears to be a “big-time over-payment, especially since 2018 industry performance really makes it look like this is a sunset industry.”

“The failure to execute effectively their original marketing plan for their acquired Reynolds brands” is another missed revenue opportunity for BAT.

“If BAT had a do-over on this deal, and they were able to close in 2018 rather than 2017, you can bet they would have acquired the remaining interest of Reynolds at a much more reasonable price,” Plath said.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Working through this list Bullsmokes added

Got to the second one but OCB is a can of worms ...it’s owned by Rebublic Technologies who are both a large distro business and makers of Swan,Zig Zag, OCB etc under Rebublic Technologies UK Ltd

https://republic-technologies.com/en/homepage/

...anyway they partnered up with VMR Products to sell the V2Pro series 3 in Europe (.eu & .cz) using thier distro business as “OCB Vap” (same product) ...looks like that relationship stopped though and it’s now sold as V2 everywhere ....so added that info under Huabao...however; and this bit has got me chasing tales

Zig Zag was, I thought, owned by Turning Point Brands (we listed that earlier under Standard Diversified Inc.) ...turns out Republic Technologies owns Zig Zag for Europe and Tsuge Pipes Owns Zig Zag in Japan ....so are these all one in the same company? I cant find a link between the three in terms of parent

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zig-Zag_(company)

Zig Zag is definitely owned by Turning Point.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Zig Zag is definitely owned by Turning Point.

Who are the other two players though just Partnerships ...oops posted as same time

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Plans for Vuse Alto
The double-digit decline in tobacco manufacturers’ share price since April 19 was spurred mostly by Philip Morris International’s disclosure that it experienced a “less rapid than initially projected growth” in first-quarter sales of Marlboro Heatsticks in the pivotal market of Japan.

The Heatsticks are based on PMI’s iQOS heat-not-burn technology.

Since the PMI Heatsticks news, Altria Group Inc.’s share price has fallen as much as 14.7 percent, BAT has dropped as much as 14.1 percent and Philip Morris International as much as 26.1 percent.

“The industry-wide sell-off in response to Philip Morris’ update on the iQOS shows how much tobacco investors are counting on a successful transition to smoke-free products like vapes and heat-not-burn devices to replace income from cigarettes,” said Jeremy Bowman, a contributing analyst to The Motley Fool.

Bowman said Juul represents the global tobacco manufacturers’ biggest competitive threats since “it offers a product that has become synonymous with the activity itself — Juul is often used as a verb to mean vape.”

“The company is now raising money at a $15 billion valuation. The best move for the tobacco giants may be to buy Juul, form a strategic partnership with it, or make a copycat product.”

Fontem Ventures, which makes blu eCigs for ITG Brands LLC, announced July 13 a partnership with Purilum LLC, which makes e-juice concentrates for vaping, for their Salt of the Earth nicotine salts product line.

Oberlander said last week that Reynolds is preparing for an August national distribution launch of Vuse Alto, its version of the “pod mod” second-generation e-cig.

“It’s surprising to see such as solidly profitable industry sell off like this in just six months,” Bowman said.

“But the investor response makes it clear that tobacco stocks may no longer be the safe bet that they have been for generations.”

Did BAT overpay for Reynolds?
Stephen Pope. managing principal with London-based financial-service firm Spotlight Ideas, said that while “BAT is trying to be positive, there is a sense that overall the outlook for the industry has soured in recent months.”

“Of course, BAT has seen growth from its takeover of Reynolds American,” Pope said.

“However, it is trying to manage a broader secular decline in cigarette demand throughout many regions of the world market.

“If one believes some forecasts that net income is forecast to diminish by 12.6 percent each year for the next five years, BAT needs to leverage Reynolds to claw back market share in the vape market of the U.S. and beyond.”

Tony Plath, who recently retired as a finance professor at UNC Charlotte, said BAT’s decision to pay $54.5 billion for the remaining stake of Reynolds appears to be a “big-time over-payment, especially since 2018 industry performance really makes it look like this is a sunset industry.”

“The failure to execute effectively their original marketing plan for their acquired Reynolds brands” is another missed revenue opportunity for BAT.

“If BAT had a do-over on this deal, and they were able to close in 2018 rather than 2017, you can bet they would have acquired the remaining interest of Reynolds at a much more reasonable price,” Plath said.

Ok think I’ve already listed everything from this article already except for this one bit

Fontem Ventures, which makes blu eCigs for ITG Brands LLC, announced July 13 a partnership with Purilum LLC, which makes e-juice concentrates for vaping, for their Salt of the Earth nicotine salts product line

Something else to look into then

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Ok thanks mate ill remove Phillip Morris and leave Altria as the main tobacco name in the second page ... this is not as easy as I stupidly thought it was going to be :cry:

Actually Edit: Phillip Morris International is a Spin off in its own right so changed to that and updated the rest under aquisitions

Yes, That's what you hear about with the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World & Derek Yach.
Phillip Morris International (PMI) is now a separate entity from "Phillip Morris USA" which is now Altria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Yach

It's really easy to make a mistake if you see an older article that mentions "Phillip Morris" because it could mean Altria or it could be PMI.
That's the part that always screwed me up.
The articles don't even have to be really old because a lot of writers are just used to saying "Phillip Morris" and many don't clarify which of the two they are speaking of.

Edit:

"Foundation for a Smoke-Free World
Yach founded the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World in September 2017 with funding from Philip Morris International, “to accelerate global efforts to reduce health impacts and deaths from smoking, with the goal of ultimately eliminating smoking worldwide.He advocates for helping smokers quit cigarettes by focusing on tobacco harm reduction to improve public health"

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Republic Group, Altesse both fall under The Republic Tobacco umbrella according to this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Tobacco

Altesse is a distribution channel for products of Republic Tobacco as is Republic Technologies (also manufacturing). It looks like Zig Zag is owned by multiple corporations possibly based on geographic region. This is going to need to be researched more as there may be more players involved with some of these brands than previously thought.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Dude, Purilium is owned by Alliance One International. One of two tobacco merchants that stores and sells to big tobacco. Them and Universal Corporation control 70% of the worlds leaf tobacco. I think that qualifies as big tobacco.

http://www.aointl.com/
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4075569-alliance-one-international-mispriced-opportunity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_One_International#cite_note-profile-2
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fontem-ventures-purilum-announce-agreement-123300756.html

Edit--- Missed something on Purilum. They are co owned by these guys
http://iotointernational.com/home_eng.html

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Dude, Purilium is owned by Alliance One International. One of two tobacco merchants that stores and sells to big tobacco. Them and Universal Corporation control 70% of the worlds leaf tobacco. I think that qualifies as big tobacco.

http://www.aointl.com/
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4075569-alliance-one-international-mispriced-opportunity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_One_International#cite_note-profile-2
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fontem-ventures-purilum-announce-agreement-123300756.html

Wouldn't this be the same people that the large liquid nicotine companies would go to in order to get their tobacco for the nicotine extraction process?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Wouldn't this be the same people that the large liquid nicotine companies would go to in order to get their tobacco for the nicotine extraction process?

That would would be a reasonable conclusion to draw.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
That would would be a reasonable conclusion to draw.

I used to have this fear of BT "clamping down" on the nic supply.

That was before I understood how tobacco works.

These huge tobacco suppliers sell different tobacco's for all sorts of different things.
From Big Pharma's patches, gum, lozenge, etc.. to Snus, Smokeless, Cigars, Cigarillos, etc.... eliquid, HnB sticks. All kinds of stuff.

They probably offer 60 or more different types of tobacco.

Almost all of those tobaccos are used in cigars, smokless, snus, etc...

Since BT adds stuff to their cigarettes (LOT's of chemicals) the actual tobacco that they use in them is probably one notch away from "garbage"

I would love to know the actual name of the tobacco that goes in cigarettes or if it's a mix or a couple different tobacco's then which ones.

They probably extract nicotine for eliquid from stalks, floor scrapings, and rat turds. :giggle:
(I hope not. I made a joke and now I'm sad because it may be true:()

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I used to have this fear of BT "clamping down" on the nic supply.

That was before I understood how tobacco works.

These huge tobacco suppliers sell different tobacco's for all sorts of different things.
From Big Pharma's patches, gum, lozenge, etc.. to Snus, Smokeless, Cigars, Cigarillos, etc.... eliquid, HnB sticks. All kinds of stuff.

They probably offer 60 or more different types of tobacco.

Almost all of those tobaccos are used in cigars, smokless, snus, etc...

Since BT adds stuff to their cigarettes (LOT's of chemicals) the actual tobacco that they use in them is probably one notch away from "garbage"

I would love to know the actual name of the tobacco that goes in cigarettes or if it's a mix or a couple different tobacco's then which ones.

They probably extract nicotine for eliquid from stalks, floor scrapings, and rat turds. :giggle:
(I hope not. I made a joke and now I'm sad because it may be true:()

Its depressing. Most cigarettes are probably made from this shit.
http://www.iotointernational.com/recon.html

Reconstituted tobacco. Sounds like rat turds.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Wont be long till we find the subsidiary company under one of these umbrellas who are manufacturing the coffin nails and the caskets for the vape industry. Its fucking shameless and despicable really. Lobbyist, politicians and big corps. Sewing up the market, quietly and playing both sides since it will be a win for them either way. The shit coming to light here is immediately on my boycott list.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Perhaps that’s the way to go peeps pick a single Big Tobacco and exhaust all thier stuff before moving into the next...Lets focus on vaping related activity only for this watch including the listings of companies etc (heat not burn tech is periphery noise as far as I’m concerned at the moment although I’m adding it “loosely”)

Shall we exhaust British American Tobacco stuff first cause I’m struggling to follow myself haha?

So far I’ve recorded

British American Tobacco

Brands

Glo (heat not burn tech)
Vype
Vuse
VIP
10 Motives (UK)
Chic (Poland)
Vapestick
ECOVape / RIZe (e-liquid partnered with RizeVapor)
ECOpure (e-liquid discontinued)
Intellicigs (discontinued)

Subsidiaries
Nicoventures Holdings Ltd.
Nicovations Ltd.
Must Have Ltd.
The Vapestick Group Ltd.
CN Creative Ltd.

Acquisitions

CN Creative (Sold by Nerudia)
Reynolds America inc (Big Tobacco who previously acquired Lorriland)
Twisp (Retail South Africa)

I’m going to add two other sub categories to it as well since we are coming across activity in these two areas as well

Partnerships

Associated Lobby Groups

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
CN Creative developped BAT's electronic cigarette Vype.

CN Creative used to advertise its Quit Direct as an "NHS accredited supplier of comprehensive Stop Smoking Services". However, the NHS accreditation was terminated after CN Creative was acquired by BAT (a breach of contract). In August 2013, BAT merged CN Creative with Nicoventures (set up by the tobacco company to commercialise regulatory-approved, non-tobacco nicotine products) and BAT Research & Development

http://tobaccotactics.org/index.php?title=CN_Creative

Looks like need to look into the below three products (I’ve never heard of them they might well now be redundant tech)

Actistix was introduced in May 2012 as part of the Quit Direct program. It is a nicotine-free e-cigarette “designed to help provide an alternative to smoking tobacco products by replicating the hand-to-mouth action associated with traditional cigarettes.” The Menthol Infusion produces a vapour with a menthol taste, and claims to contain “none of the harmful ingredients found in traditional cigarettes”. [11] However, the accompanying Facebook site has only managed to get 29 likes in the 18 months of its existence.

Besides manufacturing e-cigarettes, CN Creative (and thus BAT) is in the process of developing an electronic nicotine vaporiser called Nicadex. Unlike an e-cigarette which is considered a consumer product in the UK market, CN Creative and BAT intend to license Nicadex as a medical product through the Medicines and Health Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). In early 2012, CN Creative announced that they had raised £2 million with the help of Advent Life Sciences to finish the development.[12]

According to CN Creative’s website, Nicadex “is now in final prototype stage, with clinical studies and marketing authorization expected to be completed in 2013..[13]

It is unclear whether BAT, through CN Creative, has continued the development of Quit Direct, Actistix or Nicadex.

According to BloombergBusinessweek, BAT is working on another product called Voke. Presented to investors early September 2013, it promises to deliver cold aerosolized nicotine via a patented breath-operated valve nearly as fast as the six to 12 seconds it takes for a conventional cigarette.

The device comes in two parts, housed in a case that looks like a cigarette pack. Users dip a cigarette-shaped stick into an aerosol canister to load it up with nicotine and they are ready to puff.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Maybe try a VPN or Proxy to access the sites?

It was just that one site for whatever reason they are blocking Europeans out because the don’t comply with GDRP so probably for the best I don’t look at it haha god knows what info they collect on users

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It was just that one site for whatever reason they are blocking Europeans out because the don’t comply with GDRP so probably for the best I don’t look at it haha god knows what info they collect on users

That is why you use a VPN like Hide Me so they can't see your IP Address. Just a suggestion

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
CN Creative developped BAT's electronic cigarette Vype.

CN Creative used to advertise its Quit Direct as an "NHS accredited supplier of comprehensive Stop Smoking Services". However, the NHS accreditation was terminated after CN Creative was acquired by BAT (a breach of contract). In August 2013, BAT merged CN Creative with Nicoventures (set up by the tobacco company to commercialise regulatory-approved, non-tobacco nicotine products) and BAT Research & Development

http://tobaccotactics.org/index.php?title=CN_Creative

Looks like need to look into the below three products (I’ve never heard of them they might well now be redundant tech)

Actistix was introduced in May 2012 as part of the Quit Direct program. It is a nicotine-free e-cigarette “designed to help provide an alternative to smoking tobacco products by replicating the hand-to-mouth action associated with traditional cigarettes.” The Menthol Infusion produces a vapour with a menthol taste, and claims to contain “none of the harmful ingredients found in traditional cigarettes”. [11] However, the accompanying Facebook site has only managed to get 29 likes in the 18 months of its existence.

Besides manufacturing e-cigarettes, CN Creative (and thus BAT) is in the process of developing an electronic nicotine vaporiser called Nicadex. Unlike an e-cigarette which is considered a consumer product in the UK market, CN Creative and BAT intend to license Nicadex as a medical product through the Medicines and Health Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). In early 2012, CN Creative announced that they had raised £2 million with the help of Advent Life Sciences to finish the development.[12]

According to CN Creative’s website, Nicadex “is now in final prototype stage, with clinical studies and marketing authorization expected to be completed in 2013..[13]

It is unclear whether BAT, through CN Creative, has continued the development of Quit Direct, Actistix or Nicadex.

According to BloombergBusinessweek, BAT is working on another product called Voke. Presented to investors early September 2013, it promises to deliver cold aerosolized nicotine via a patented breath-operated valve nearly as fast as the six to 12 seconds it takes for a conventional cigarette.

The device comes in two parts, housed in a case that looks like a cigarette pack. Users dip a cigarette-shaped stick into an aerosol canister to load it up with nicotine and they are ready to puff.

Nicadex was branded under E-Voke and sold as a prescription E-Cigarette to bypass laws, however when BAT bought CN Creative from Neruda it ended the contract with the NHS and with it ended the Nicadex product (I’ll list this as ended)

https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/vaped/the-only-medically-licensed-e-cig-is-axed/

Actistix nicotine free E-Cigarettes shared the same fate when NHS cut ties with the Quit Direct program (they contained the ECOpure flavouring that still exists as ECOVape - shall also list this as discontinued)

Finally Voke was also discontinued so BAT could concentrate on E-Cigs and move away from medicinal

http://www.cityam.com/256448/british-american-tobacco-drops-its-nicotine-inhaler-voke/amp

That wraps those three up

Last edited:

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Looks like you got down the rabbit hole today @KingPin!. Nice work. I am going to get back on it tomorrow. Had meetings all day and night.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Looks like you got down the rabbit hole today @KingPin!. Nice work. I am going to get back on it tomorrow. Had meetings all day and night.

Was so much easier focusing on just one BT company yesterday mate ....think I’ll take that approach going forward, the watch isn’t going anywhere :)

They can take turns

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
images

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Was so much easier focusing on just one BT company yesterday mate ....think I’ll take that approach going forward, the watch isn’t going anywhere :)

They can take turns

You could gather info here then make a series of posts each being a large tobacco company and the tree of who is under them.

I've never used the "blog" feature.
I wonder if that would work?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
You could gather info here then make a series of posts each being a large tobacco company and the tree of who is under them.

I've never used the "blog" feature.
I wonder if that would work?

That sounds like a good idea mate... hmm let me have a ponder

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
Great thread....

And, I agree with a previous poster.....Big Tobacco is going to try to drive the vaping market toward pod systems.

I get the appeal of a pod system for those “on the go” moments, but every time I shop for a pod system I take note of the battery mah and pod capacity, laugh my ass off, and then start vaping my dual 18650 mod with a 10 ml tank on it.

Appreciate the info KP

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great thread....

And, I agree with a previous poster.....Big Tobacco is going to try to drive the vaping market toward pod systems.

I get the appeal of a pod system for those “on the go” moments, but every time I shop for a pod system I take note of the battery mah and pod capacity, laugh my ass off, and then start vaping my dual 18650 mod with a 10 ml tank on it.

Appreciate the info KP

No problem matey it’s scary some of the stuff I’ve read so far... the moves taken or where it’s headed looks like control of distribution, wholesale and tying up nic manufacture is the goal (product penetration is merely a side show at the moment)....control this they have the ability to control the market and disrupt the supply chain (it damages vape company brand rep and makes it a whole lot easier to aquire such companies in the future)

On another note they are starting to invest in emerging disruptive tech in China, I haven’t even started to look into what China tobacco is doing yet but taking this one step at a time

Also want to give a big shout out to all those who have contributed as well no way I can do this on my own it’s just too vast ...so far we merely scratched at the surface

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I too agree that BT will follow the prefilled pod approach. More money in selling prefilled pods and an easier concept to sell to the FDA and such.
The FDA can more easially regulate and control the contents of prefilled pods....

And for many switching to vaping the prefilled pod approach is as complicated as they want to get with vaping.

I see 4 main groups of vapers.
Prefilled pods.

Open systems but factory coils only.

Fully open rebuildable systems. Which I think is the minority of vapers.

Fully open rebuildable systems and DIY ejuice. Which is the minority of the minority.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors