Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So all this talk of knives....I carry a BM mini Grip with a 154CM blade. It's never been sharpened and getting pretty dull after a couple years. Yeah, I know.

I have no tools to sharpen this. Should I send it in to BM to get sharpened or is there a good process (without buying a Wicked Edge) and tools I can learn how to do that?

Both brew and I have professional sharpeners; he actually has a wicked edge and a lot of stones, I have a KME and a lot of stones

You can send it in, takes up to 3-4 weeks for turn around, you can also send it to Wicked Edge and they will sharpen it, think it’s like $8 with them.

Food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also if you send it to WE, you can have them sharpen it to mirror polished ultra razor sharp, or have them reprofile the edge to a better geometry and a working edge (better for edc use)

Sent from my iPhone 69 using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But the most basic sharpener you can get is a Spyderco triangle or just a regular 600 grit bench stone and strop.

If I didn’t get into how steels and certain edges performed and for what use the degree edge was better...I would still be using just a 600 grit flat stone and strop.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Both brew and I have professional sharpeners; he actually has a wicked edge and a lot of stones, I have a KME and a lot of stones

You can send it in, takes up to 3-4 weeks for turn around, you can also send it to Wicked Edge and they will sharpen it, think it’s like $8 with them.

Food for thought

Figured you guys did. I can't justify that with the one knife I have plus kitchen stuff.

Do you know if Wicked Edge will do the serrated section? BM won't. That might be enough difference to send it to them.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also if you send it to WE, you can have them sharpen it to mirror polished ultra razor sharp, or have them reprofile the edge to a better geometry and a working edge (better for edc use)

Sent from my iPhone 69 using Tapatalk
But the most basic sharpener you can get is a Spyderco triangle or just a regular 600 grit bench stone and strop.

If I didn’t get into how steels and certain edges performed and for what use the degree edge was better...I would still be using just a 600 grit flat stone and strop.

The reprofile for EDC makes more sense. Does the 154CM make any difference in who or what profile I go for?

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
emoji23.png

Food for thought

I agree,
So all this talk of knives....I carry a BM mini Grip with a 154CM blade. It's never been sharpened and getting pretty dull after a couple years. Yeah, I know.

I have no tools to sharpen this. Should I send it in to BM to get sharpened or is there a good process (without buying a Wicked Edge) and tools I can learn how to do that?
Like @~Don~ said, I went down the deep end on these things. If you really like the knife (I really like mine, I have the same one among many others) it might be worth the wait time and expense (I have no idea how much) for a Spa "treatment", at least you'll have another two years worth of use. Alternately, depending on costs for shipping and all that, you might consider buying a Spiderco sharpmaker. This is the cheapest I found it https://saleoff.store/shop/spyderco...MIiLW_5ebb5gIVB6rsCh2DpA2pEAQYAyABEgLV6PD_BwE

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree,

Like @~Don~ said, I went down the deep end on these things. If you really like the knife (I really like mine, I have the same one among many others) it might be worth the wait time and expense (I have no idea how much) for a Spa "treatment", at least you'll have another two years worth of use. Alternately, depending on costs for shipping and all that, you might consider buying a Spiderco sharpmaker. This is the cheapest I found it https://saleoff.store/shop/spyderco-tri-angle-sharpmaker-set/?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Copy BESTBUY50100&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=1844825&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiLW_5ebb5gIVB6rsCh2DpA2pEAQYAyABEgLV6PD_BwE

yeah thats the one, if you want a 30/40 inclusive edge... works well I have one... its the one I used for kitchen knives

these are nice also for small

and or

and the all in one field sharpener

https://www.worksharptools.com/product/guided-field-sharpener/

The reprofile for EDC makes more sense. Does the 154CM make any difference in who or what profile I go for?
a 20* working edge is great... also not sure if WE will do serrations, but they are easy to do with a serration sharpener...

Which the last link, has it built in.

The sharpeners I linked are all just to take it from dull to work sharp... with patience you can take it to better than work sharp, but they are all for quick work, not best you can do for a knife sharp

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There was a sharpening set of rods for serrated blades sold by CRKT https://www.crkt.com/veff-sharp.html but is no longer available. I contacted Tom Veff directly, he sold me a brand new set for $50 or so.
Thanks, but that Guided Field sharpener Don posted looks like it would do the serrated section pretty well. I may try that and if I'm not happy I can always send it in to BM.
yeah thats the one, if you want a 30/40 inclusive edge... works well I have one... its the one I used for kitchen knives

these are nice also for small

and or

and the all in one field sharpener

https://www.worksharptools.com/product/guided-field-sharpener/

a 20* working edge is great... also not sure if WE will do serrations, but they are easy to do with a serration sharpener...

Which the last link, has it built in.

The sharpeners I linked are all just to take it from dull to work sharp... with patience you can take it to better than work sharp, but they are all for quick work, not best you can do for a knife sharp
@~Don~ there were some large blank spots in your post like you included a link but it didn't post.

The Guided field sharpener looks like it might do what I need. I don't want to get fanatical about it but would like a good sharp working edge. Right now all I can use is the serrated part. I've let it go way too long.

Thanks for the help guys.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I looked at the videos on Work Sharp's website. I'm leaning towards the Guided Sharpening system, not the field version. Any reason not to go that route? More money, but it looks like it would be easier to use.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So first @~Don~ derails the thread with MTL tanks and 18350 mechs, then he derails it with clouds bro dippers and mechs, and now he's recruiting for his militia!

I've fallen for every one except the knives... I'm more of a kitchen knife guy. BTW, anyone want this?
c2066eb04513194af61fd498fe5f3c3a.jpg

Sent from the Death Star

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I looked at the videos on Work Sharp's website. I'm leaning towards the Guided Sharpening system, not the field version. Any reason not to go that route? More money, but it looks like it would be easier to use.
upload_2019-12-29_14-23-39.png

Its nice, but its just a fixed angle one that is for 29... I mean they both will make a dull knife sharp.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So first @~Don~ derails the thread with MTL tanks and 18350 mechs, then he derails it with clouds bro dippers and mechs, and now he's recruiting for his militia!

I've fallen for every one except the knives... I'm more of a kitchen knife guy. BTW, anyone want this?

Sent from the Death Star

I think the progression of influence was...

Dvarw MTL and 18350s, then Dvarws and Regulated Mods, then knives, then clouds ;)

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Sent from the Death Star

thats a beauty !

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Sent from the Death Star
Yeah, he's got me doing voltage drop tests too....:gaah:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So that's the Ken Onion version, right? I was looking at that also.

So which one are you saying is a fixed angle at 29? The Guided Sharpener? What angle do I want for EDC?
the picture is the one with 20 and 30* angles I think it is, for 50... the fixed is the one I originally linked for 29.

They both provide the same outcome, sharper, serration sharpening, strop. One is hand held, other is table sat.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd do a video of voltage testing, I just can't find my tri-pod that would hold my phone.

There are videos on YT for this though...

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One more little detail about knives before we return to the BB topic.
I took apart one of the Land 91X (there are several depending on color/G10) and indeed, it had ball bearings. Nice little knife for $30 or less. BTW, @~Don~ , I really like that CTS-XHT steel in the Code 4. Missed a Sebenza 21 PJ for 230:cry::gaah:
I still prefer the SXK BB over the authentic but I use both, not as much as I used to since I have 3 Dvarws in rotation.

Last edited:

ilikeitfruity

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys has anyone tried the black dvarw dl from fasttech. Hoping the quality will be as good as the other clones as they are the only ones in stock I could find, and also has anyone had to replace clone deckscrews on the silver version as I would love to trap wire a bit easier

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I seriously believe today’s generation is plain stupid.

With the T21, just read someone on reddit asking what happens to those 18-20 already using nicotine...

Asking if there is a grandfathered addendum

My goodness

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I seriously believe today’s generation is plain stupid.

With the T21, just read someone on reddit asking what happens to those 18-20 already using nicotine...

Asking if there is a grandfathered addendum

My goodness

If common sense was a mandatory subject in school, they'd never graduate!

VU Sponsors