Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool,hopefully he'll pop in here,i'd buy 1 from him quick haha.I would guess if he made a cap,a drip tip should be easier,and a button should be even easier than that.
If i had a metal lathe,i'd be all over trying to make one,but i only have a wood lathe,so it's not much good for this issue haha.
I want to get a wood lathe so bad. That will be my next big purchase I think.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That would be my guess also. I had heard that RPG and Dober are both very popular.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has any actual info on what the ranking of colors is.
I agree, I would really like to know what they sell in a year, and how many of each.

Although it does seem popular, I have a Dober and it is by far my least favorite of what I own. No matter what I do, can't get it past just ok for me. On the other side, no matter what I do with Rat Black I like. Maybe the reason for it's popularity, very versatile?

b.m.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to get a wood lathe so bad. That will be my next big purchase I think.
I got a cheap little 10" harbor freight one,but that thing works perfectly.I grabbed it with a 20% off coupon,so i think it ran me like $240 or so.It was fine as is,but i eventually wanted variable speed,so i upgraded it with a vs control unit,but even before that i was very happy with it.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a cheap little 10" harbor freight one,but that thing works perfectly.I grabbed it with a 20% off coupon,so i think it ran me like $240 or so.It was fine as is,but i eventually wanted variable speed,so i upgraded it with a vs control unit,but even before that i was very happy with it.
Yea I'd like to do pens and wooden drip tips of exotic wood. Maybe even fit like the whistle tips. Because that's doable

b.m.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I'd like to do pens and wooden drip tips of exotic wood. Maybe even fit like the whistle tips. Because that's doable
Pens are exactly why i wanted one.I made a few with just the drill press and sandpaper,then drill press and turning tools,but that got very tiring very fast haha.Once i got my lathe i realized just how much easier they were,and turned out much better.I really want to do the drip tips too,but have never tried any yet,i've only done the pens,razor handles,and a few bowls.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had some issues with the Xeta rba using the black boro that come with the BB.

As i just get things snugged with the 510 screw the bottom section of the boro would start lifting up and not allow the panel to fit back properly on the box..It would see saw on the box.

Decided to try a different boro and i dont have that issue anymore...I guess not all these boros are drilled perfectly center...Hope my ultem look box works with the Xeta with no issues...still waiting for all the goodies i ordered from 3F..sigh

And i need to check in with that guy Alex about the BB panels and squonk box i ordered.
20200509_141946_Film3.jpg

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

As i just get things snugged with the 510 screw the bottom section of the boro would start lifting up and not allow the panel to fit back properly on the box..It would see saw on the box.

Decided to try a different boro and i dont have that issue anymore...I guess not all these boros are drilled perfectly center...Hope my ultem look box works with the Xeta with no issues...still waiting for all the goodies i ordered from 3F..sigh

And i need to check in with that guy Alex about the BB panels and squonk box i ordered.
View attachment 160674

Are these SXK boros? I never had a problem with original boros either black or white. But I really dislike the SXK boros. Especially the cheap gasket that they use.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 160674
You mean as you tightened the nut the bottom of the boro pushed outward?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Xeta is REALLY tight in the bottom of the boro. The authentic too. With authentic boros too. At least that's what I see people saying.

I get mine started absolutely straight in and then use some flat tool to push it in the rest of the way while it's on a hard surface. They should have made the base like a half mil smaller.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You mean as you tightened the nut the bottom of the boro pushed outward?

Yes....the bottom of the boro would start tilting as it was being snugged down...enough where the door wouldnt fit flush anymore...id have to make the nut rather loose and it have some play to keep it from lifting the boro.

With the Kanger rba i didnt have that problem though..shrugs*

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pens are exactly why i wanted one.I made a few with just the drill press and sandpaper,then drill press and turning tools,but that got very tiring very fast haha.Once i got my lathe i realized just how much easier they were,and turned out much better.I really want to do the drip tips too,but have never tried any yet,i've only done the pens,razor handles,and a few bowls.
Yea I'd like to do bowls as well. I carve some spoons and stuff by hand now. I'd love to throw some bowls out there too. Or wooden chalice's

b.m.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I'd like to do bowls as well. I carve some spoons and stuff by hand now. I'd love to throw some bowls out there too. Or wooden chalice's
I wish i could do carving,but i couldn't carve a spear to save my ass haha.The bowls are fun to do,except when you don't have the chuck tight enough and a chunk of wood goes flying,i've had a few close calls with that haha.Had a chunk of oak that probably weighed 5 lbs. slip out of the chuck,bounce off the lathe and fly past my head,that thing could of knocked me out haha.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish i could do carving,but i couldn't carve a spear to save my ass haha.The bowls are fun to do,except when you don't have the chuck tight enough and a chunk of wood goes flying,i've had a few close calls with that haha.Had a chunk of oak that probably weighed 5 lbs. slip out of the chuck,bounce off the lathe and fly past my head,that thing could of knocked me out haha.
Oh wow yea that could be dangerous. I carved an owl earlier today in about an hour. I've got like 4 owls and a Christmas pickle to paint still

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IPad stand in front of the owls. Make wooden phone stands as well. Wizards, Santa's,
677a66d01c043c793ffd87746ad960e2.jpg

b.m.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IPad stand in front of the owls. Make wooden phone stands as well. Wizards, Santa's,
677a66d01c043c793ffd87746ad960e2.jpg
Those are very cool,i definitely couldn't do anything like that.The closest i've came to any type of carving was putting grooves in some of my bowls while their on the lathe haha.
As for the blocks flying off though,pretty much my fault.Once i didn't have the chuck tightened enough,the 2nd time,i didn't have enough of a lip cut to fit in the chuck deep enough,both definitely learning experiences haha.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are very cool,i definitely couldn't do anything like that.The closest i've came to any type of carving was putting grooves in some of my bowls while their on the lathe haha.
As for the blocks flying off though,pretty much my fault.Once i didn't have the chuck tightened enough,the 2nd time,i didn't have enough of a lip cut to fit in the chuck deep enough,both definitely learning experiences haha.
It's all learning experience. Lol. And the carving is really like carve by numbers. Check some videos out on YouTube by Doug Linker. That's who inspired me. And a carving kit was like 20 bucks on ebay. Ya never know man. But definitely a wood lathe in my future

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes....the bottom of the boro would start tilting as it was being snugged down...enough where the door wouldnt fit flush anymore...id have to make the nut rather loose and it have some play to keep it from lifting the boro.

With the Kanger rba i didnt have that problem though..shrugs*
Hmm, Xeta is a mother to get in and out of SXK or Authentic Boro, but I have never seen or heard of that. Did you try pressing in on the bottom of the boro as you tightened to hold it in place? I'm sure you did, but that's the only thing I can think of. I have both boros (SXK and Authentic), and couldn't tell you which is which, so I'm sure I have put a Xeta in both.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, Xeta is a mother to get in and out of SXK or Authentic
I have oodles of o-rings and I keep telling myself to try a thinner one down there, but I never get around to it. It IS a bear to get in especially, but mine have gotten better with use.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have oodles of o-rings and I keep telling myself to try a thinner one down there, but I never get around to it. It IS a bear to get in especially, but mine have gotten better with use.
Yeah, it kinda sucks, but once your in your in, so I just roll with it. Never tried another O ring either, for fear of leaking I guess. But what he is talking about seems really odd to me :confused:

xZitoWarriorx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I found a guy on Facebook Ryan Bell. Canadian Custom Vapes.

Got a pair of panels with the cut outs for tank and screen for $220 shipped from Canada.

This wood right here.
d8db15251b1d457f9d6b8854a1fb8477.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wait did he or does he make his own version of the BB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xZitoWarriorx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I’m curious, is the SXK worth it? I’m realllly new to the BB world but I’ve been following it a lot. I’ve been thinking of getting one but I know it will be a continuous investment.

What would y’all suggestions be? Get and SXK (found one for $102) just to try it out for a bit or invest in an authentic?

Feel free to PM me

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, Xeta is a mother to get in and out of SXK or Authentic Boro, but I have never seen or heard of that. Did you try pressing in on the bottom of the boro as you tightened to hold it in place? I'm sure you did, but that's the only thing I can think of. I have both boros (SXK and Authentic), and couldn't tell you which is which, so I'm sure I have put a Xeta in both.

I always slide the upper section in first then press in the bottom..i turn and press at the same time to make sure the bottom is seated...its never leaked...im not sure what it was really...i just decided to swap boros and the problem went away.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, it kinda sucks, but once your in your in, so I just roll with it. Never tried another O ring either, for fear of leaking I guess. But what he is talking about seems really odd to me :confused:
I should have said that I also find it odd. I've never had leaking from the bottom of the boro that I know of.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
but I know it will be a continuous investment.
Especially if you wind up loving it.
What would y’all suggestions be? Get and SXK (found one for $102) just to try it out for a bit or invest in an authentic?
I would try the clone first. It's a good clone and will give you a perfectly good idea of whether you want an authentic or not. I will say that if having USB access to Escribe means anything to you, the SXK is your only choice. For most people it doesn't make that much difference. It does to me personally.

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Especially if you wind up loving it.

I would try the clone first. It's a good clone and will give you a perfectly good idea of whether you want an authentic or not. I will say that if having USB access to Escribe means anything to you, the SXK is your only choice. For most people it doesn't make that much difference. It does to me personally.

USB access is also doable on the authentic. One needs a USB dongle for $25 and a willingness to break the seal on the switchplate and tinker internally with the DNA60 board. Certainly no where near as convenient.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’ve been thinking of getting one but I know it will be a continuous investment

This is totally up to you. Imo, it is worth a shot to see if you like it, mainly because right now anyway you can sell/trade one for damn near what you gave for it, SXK and Authentic alike. I have seen first hand all levels, through myself and buddies.
Buddy #1- Bought an SXK 70w, didn't care for it at all, traded it away for probably more value in gear than he paid.
Buddy #2- Always been satisfied with very little gear. I mean about 6 years of vaping and probably only had 3 different mods and maybe 3 atty's. Bought an SXK 70w, that is it, and loves and uses it every day. Nautilus bridge and he won't even try anything else. Very little investment and happy as a clam.
Me= I'm toast. All there is too it. Fell in love and cannot stop. I love tinkering and customizing, and have fully admitted and embraced that there is no end for me. Still my choice, but a damn expensive one :huh::D I vaped and still vape 90% MTL, so figured and was right that this is right up my alley.
What is your vaping like now? I will say this, if you only enjoy low ohm, high power vaping, there is no reason to even try a Billet Box, imho. If this is all you vape, and want to try a different style, there is way less expensive ways to give it a shot first, again, imho.

Our friend @dubya314 here is a perfect example. It wasn't very long ago that he had just one of the cheaper SXK clones and now I've lost all track of how many of what he has any more LOL! To say nothing of all his trinketry.
:giggle: Hey mister, you just leave my trinketry out of this, and I'll thank you to never mention it again :p:devil::teehee: I've lost track as well, and really feel there would be no benifit to doing inventory. They got me, nice n good for sure :sneaka:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Imo, it is worth a shot to see if you like it, mainly because right now anyway you can sell/trade one for damn near what you gave for it, SXK and Authentic alike.
This is a great point and one I made to somebody in PMs last week. Try to find a pre-owned Billet Box for sale at least on this forum or on Reddit. Unless somebody is asking some outrageous price, I don't think I've ever seen one last the day. When one goes up for sale people are tripping over one another to get to it first. They have almost Mercedes Benz level resale value.
I vaped and still vape 90% MTL, so figured and was right that this is right up my alley.
I don't know how anybody who is primarily a mtl vaper wouldn't love the Billet Box. One device, endless setup possibilities for mtl. I'm always going to recommend the DNA clone over the Ares though if at all possible.

:giggle: Hey mister, you just leave my trinketry out of this, and I'll thank you to never mention it again :p:devil::teehee: I've lost track as well, and really feel there would be no benifit to doing inventory. They got me, nice n good for sure
hook-line-and-sinker-allan-swart.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
USB access is also doable on the authentic. One needs a USB dongle for $25 and a willingness to break the seal on the switchplate and tinker internally with the DNA60 board. Certainly no where near as convenient.
That's true, I've seen guys do it, but some significant hoops to get there as you say. Not least of which would be some fairly fine soldering skills just to get it to work at all.

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
That's true, I've seen guys do it, but some significant hoops to get there as you say. Not least of which would be some fairly fine soldering skills just to get it to work at all.

No soldering skills needed. But you do have to open the switch plate and unplug the screen to insert the dongle. The dongle is available pre-made from multiple sources.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Woot, trade mail. I hate that I won't use the G10's, because I really do love them. I just can't make myself put anything on an Authentic that covers up all that goodness :rolleyes: So I traded for an SXK, knowing I will gladly use the G10's cuz this one has none of the writing :) Even found a really nice home for the MOP button :cool:
15892282548701243914075.jpg

b.m.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my Odis Flow V2 in today,all i can say is wow.This thing just ended my search for another Boxxer V2 haha.I had been looking everywhere for a 2nd Boxxer,but a great deal on the Flow landed in my lap,so figured i'd try it out and sell it if i didn't like it,i could care less about the Boxxer now,i'll be grabbing a 2nd flow instead.Less hassle and the airflow and flavor seem just as good,so yeah,i'm happy today haha.

xZitoWarriorx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Thank you all for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. I found one with the Nautilis bridge for about $65 so I’m thinking that I may take a chance and go with that.

As far as the Escribe is concerned that does make a difference to me I have used it before but I think starting out with the SXK would be a good start based on a lot of your guys’ feedback.

Thank you all again.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No soldering skills needed. But you do have to open the switch plate and unplug the screen to insert the dongle. The dongle is available pre-made from multiple sources.
That's right. I haven't looked into this in a while, but I guess I remember that you can stick the wires into the contact holes now that you mention it.

I use Escribe a couple times a week. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't personally want a DNA driven device that I couldn't just plug in.

That's not a jab at fans of the authentic at all. Call it a psychological quirk of mine :D

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you all for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. I found one with the Nautilis bridge for about $65 so I’m thinking that I may take a chance and go with that.

As far as the Escribe is concerned that does make a difference to me I have used it before but I think starting out with the SXK would be a good start based on a lot of your guys’ feedback.

Thank you all again.
Just be aware that it's the SXK clone that has the USB port and the authentic that does not. Also be aware that there are 2 versions of the SXK. The 70 watt with the Ares board and the 60 watt that has the DNA 60 with the USB port and Escribe capability. Just make sure you know what you're getting.

xZitoWarriorx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Just be aware that it's the SXK clone that has the USB port and the authentic that does not. Also be aware that there are 2 versions of the SXK. The 70 watt with the Ares board and the 60 watt that has the DNA 60 with the USB port and Escribe capability. Just make sure you know what you're getting.

I saw that actually, I was actually leaning to toward the DNA 60.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree, I would really like to know what they sell in a year, and how many of each.

Although it does seem popular, I have a Dober and it is by far my least favorite of what I own. No matter what I do, can't get it past just ok for me. On the other side, no matter what I do with Rat Black I like. Maybe the reason for it's popularity, very versatile?
I read on one of the FB groups that black and silver are the “easiest” to get. People want the funkier colors, I’m thinking. And the black and silver are always available. I’m aiming for a silver one the next time I have the money(c’mon stimulus check!). I have a lot of ideas for that one.....I’ve got a RPG, which I adore.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I read on one of the FB groups that black and silver are the “easiest” to get. People want the funkier colors, I’m thinking. And the black and silver are always available. I’m aiming for a silver one the next time I have the money(c’mon stimulus check!). I have a lot of ideas for that one.....I’ve got a RPG, which I adore.
I'm guessing those are also the two they make the most of, maybe with the Dober, idk. I do know the Kurbis (orange) sticks around seemingly the longest when it is there. Idk, wish they would just tell us, lol.

I have the Silver (clear) btw, and adore it as well :)

Last edited:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The further you lean in that direction, the better in my unsolicited opinion :rolleyes: It's worth the extra money also in my unsolicited opinion.
Curious as to why? Is the Ares board known to be flawed? Or just for better TC with the DNA? Or other reasons?

VU Sponsors