Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any recommendations for accessories to get for a Billet Box?
Troy destroy can hook you up with panels and a condensation plug.

The RBAs/bridges, tip and button sets are about it. You could get a leather case but why hide such a pretty mod?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Any recommendations for accessories to get for a Billet Box?

I'd spend your cash on bridges/Boros..having a bunch to suit your vaping needs is a good thing...

Other than that, a drip tip or integrated drip tip key.

And a spares kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Troy destroy can hook you up with panels and a condensation plug.

The RBAs/bridges, tip and button sets are about it. You could get a leather case but why hide such a pretty mod?

True. They don't have a big selection of bridges on the BB site so I will order the MF kit and probably the Insider MTL version.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd spend your cash on bridges/Boros..having a bunch to suit your vaping needs is a good thing...

Other than that, a drip tip or integrated drip tip key.

And a spares kit.

Two spares kits in the cart.
And a Boro tank. It will be interesting to see if the SXK tanks fit, it will be much cheaper too.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
RPG Piebald me has, extra boro tank and spares kit I ordered.
I was going to wait a bit and see if they will post more stuff and then noticed that they had already sold out of a couple of colors.....so....I went for it.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was going to wait a bit and see if they will post more stuff and then noticed that they had already sold out of a couple of colors.....so....I went for it.

Congo Rats! can always get a black button ;) at the expense of a Virgin Sticker

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd Pm them about the button, be like, " I bought the RPG PiePuke, anyway to get a black button instead?" Worst they can say is no
I see Vapes by Enushi has some buttons....sold out! MF ! And I don't mean the bridge!

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats Brew! Sorry about the MOP button. Kind of silly IMO. You could always replace the button and then try to sell the OG one. I'm sure someone will pick it up!

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats Brew! Sorry about the MOP button. Kind of silly IMO. You could always replace the button and then try to sell the OG one. I'm sure someone will pick it up!

Yeah, well...kinda speechless now...
The Insider MTL is $150 + shipping, I can get the SXK/YFTK box for +/- $ 100 and free shipping....hmmmmm

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
g'day

some familiar names in here

i need learnin prior to buyin

i started vaping in nov 2013, started dripping on mechs dec 13, started squonking april 2014

so, i pretty much know squonkers, and not much else

BB have always intrigued me

am i right thinking that stock goes up saturdays usa time?

and bridges/rba. My preferred list on squonks include stumpy, wasp, 016, mulciber. Anything available in the same vain as those?

:dog:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
g'day

some familiar names in here

i need learnin prior to buyin

i started vaping in nov 2013, started dripping on mechs dec 13, started squonking april 2014

so, i pretty much know squonkers, and not much else

BB have always intrigued me

am i right thinking that stock goes up saturdays usa time?

and bridges/rba. My preferred list on squonks include stumpy, wasp, 016, mulciber. Anything available in the same vain as those?

:dog:
Howdy stranger! Nice to see you here. The stock is up as we type/read! I'm new to this also, but if I understand it right, the Insider from Steam Turners might be close to the O16. The others here can jump in with more info.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll aim for next week batch, after payday :D

Noted, on insider

I have the Insider but don't own the Odis 16.

I can say that the draw on it is not really restricted in the least. You can use the added af control dials to turn it down, although I use it without one...but with a Dampless plug which reduces the natural af by 25% and I find that very close in nature to the NarDa 1/3rd closed which is right where I like it. The MTL Insider I can't comment to.

I also have the A-Tank which utilizes the Atlantis series pre-Made coils (I use the Vaporesso cCell .6 coils and pleasantly surprised on how good a Vape it is (like it more than the Insider) but I don't think that will be a long term tank for me...I like making coils.

I have an Exocet in route hoping this ends up being better for me than the Insider.

Insider is good, but I seem unable to find a build that makes me not want better...I put larger builds in and wicking becomes troublesome...but I think that is problematic of the small channels of a 13mm RBA with a 11mm deck.

Simple round and she's good...just not great and not nearly as good for me as the A-Tank with cCell coils.

Other RBAs I'd like are the Doggy...but those aren't cheap...and I'd easily trade my Insider for one

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have the Insider but don't own the Odis 16.

I can say that the draw on it is not really restricted in the least. You can use the added af control dials to turn it down, although I use it without one...but with a Dampless plug which reduces the natural af by 25% and I find that very close in nature to the NarDa 1/3rd closed which is right where I like it. The MTL Insider I can't comment to.

I also have the A-Tank which utilizes the Atlantis series pre-Made coils (I use the Vaporesso cCell .6 coils and pleasantly surprised on how good a Vape it is (like it more than the Insider) but I don't think that will be a long term tank for me...I like making coils.

I have an Exocet in route hoping this ends up being better for me than the Insider.

Insider is good, but I seem unable to find a build that makes me not want better...I put larger builds in and wicking becomes troublesome...but I think that is problematic of the small channels of a 13mm RBA with a 11mm deck.

Simple round and she's good...just not great and not nearly as good for me as the A-Tank with cCell coils.

Other RBAs I'd like are the Doggy...but those aren't cheap...and I'd easily trade my Insider for one

So full open origen 16 sounds about where the insider is.

Can't think of the name of it, but the rectangle rba also sounds promising for more of a DL?

With the RBA, I might trial clones first.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Can't think of the name of it, but the rectangle rba also sounds promising for more of a DL?

You're thinking of the Vapeshell ? I have two SXK clones on a boat somewhere, I think that could be your speed. @KKen has one (I think) and laurie9300 on ViA has the Vapeshell also. They may be able to shed some light on it!

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I was thinking O16 as in Odis 16, totally forgot about Origen

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're thinking of the Vapeshell ? I have two SXK clones on a boat somewhere, I think that could be your speed. @KKen has one (I think) and laurie9300 on ViA has the Vapeshell also. They may be able to shed some light on it!

Laurie suggested it, described it as similar to a derringer, with 2 holes either side open

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That's what I did with the Exocet...few bucks to try...if it's better for me than the Insider I'll go after the authentic...maybe

Haven't found a cloned Doggy yet.

But they are similar in build concept so I am sure if the Exocet clone is good to me the Doggy will be also.

Think the RBA you were referencing is the vapeshell.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
Just showing off my BB's :) Rev 4B 60 watt, Ohman Ti threaded Tips, Konico Stab Wood Panels :) Exocet in the Black & Vapeshell in the Green :)

tezFfiQ.jpg

BD0SE83.jpg

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've only tried a few different bridges, primarily for MTL vaping though, my thoughts on those:

1. In'Ax carto genesis tank: The only BB atomizer I know of designed specifically for mesh, highly recommended if NET's or tobacco flavored juice is your thing. If you like sweet, fruity/creamy juices, I wouldn't recommend this one.

2. Steam Tuners Insider (original version) I was using this for a while, its a great atty, no question, but was a little on the loose side for me. If you like restricted DL vaping, or a very loose MTL, you will be happy with this one. For true MTL vaping, the newer MTL version (air hole under the coil is much smaller) would be my pick. The plastic AFC works, it seems like it would be a bit fickle, but more or less stays in place well.

3. Kanger OCC bridge: the Billetbox comes with this bridge, so I tried a Kanger 1.5ohm coil, but way too airy for me. However, with the use of a dryplug, either the tweakings or Troys, I think the results would be much better, but haven't tried it myself since I tossed the coil long before I got my plug and don't plan on trying it again.

4. Atmizoo Vapeshell: I think this atty covers it all, and does it well, from wide open to super tight, .8 airflow. (you will need to buy the smaller aftermarket inserts if you want it that tight) In my opinion, the best BB atty available right now. However, if you vape very sweet juices, NET's or I guess dark juices in general, I can see how this could become a bit of a hassle to re-wick/re-coil often; I find the disassembly process is quite messy and tedious. Not an issue if your juices are "clean."

The amount I vape with unflavored juice though, its unlikely I will need a re-wick or cleanup more than once a month at the very least. I like this setup so much that I no longer own any other vape gear, I pretty much PIF'ed/sold everything I had previously owned so this is the only vaporizer I have now :)

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've only tried a few different bridges, primarily for MTL vaping though, my thoughts on those:

1. In'Ax carto genesis tank: The only BB atomizer I know of designed specifically for mesh, highly recommended if NET's or tobacco flavored juice is your thing. If you like sweet, fruity/creamy juices, I wouldn't recommend this one.

2. Steam Tuners Insider (original version) I was using this for a while, its a great atty, no question, but was a little on the loose side for me. If you like restricted DL vaping, or a very loose MTL, you will be happy with this one. For true MTL vaping, the newer MTL version (air hole under the coil is much smaller) would be my pick. The plastic AFC works, it seems like it would be a bit fickle, but more or less stays in place well.

3. Kanger OCC bridge: the Billetbox comes with this bridge, so I tried a Kanger 1.5ohm coil, but way too airy for me. However, with the use of a dryplug, either the tweakings or Troys, I think the results would be much better, but haven't tried it myself since I tossed the coil long before I got my plug and don't plan on trying it again.

4. Atmizoo Vapeshell: I think this atty covers it all, and does it well, from wide open to super tight, .8 airflow. (you will need to buy the smaller aftermarket inserts if you want it that tight) In my opinion, the best BB atty available right now. However, if you vape very sweet juices, NET's or I guess dark juices in general, I can see how this could become a bit of a hassle to re-wick/re-coil often; I find the disassembly process is quite messy and tedious. Not an issue if your juices are "clean."

The amount I vape with unflavored juice though, its unlikely I will need a re-wick or cleanup more than once a month at the very least. I like this setup so much that I no longer own any other vape gear, I pretty much PIF'ed/sold everything I had previously owned so this is the only vaporizer I have now :)
Coming from you, that's saying a lot. I know the gear you had (?) and to rely solely on the BB, that is a great compliment.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I also like unflavored in my box - I love super dark coffee, caramel, sweet whatever MTL vapes but save those for my squonks - I want my box to always be "vapeable" and ready in an emergency type situation (if I get kidnapped, it will be in my pocket, etc)

I have a single 30g coil in it that's 2.3 ohms and 8 watts, and I don't remember how long ago I wicked it!

Sounds like I need to pick up a VapeShell, when I get a Few Dollars More

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My SXK VapeShell came yesterday.

So far tried about a dozen builds in it, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, all spaced, with 24g, 26g, 28g SS316L ~1.1 Ohm and 26g Kanthal ~1.2 Ohm.

I like the draw wide open, but in TC (yes with having setup the DNA60 via Escribe) it seems to throttle back a lot more than the Kanger-style RBA, the Insider and the Exocet, so I resorted back to power mode, for each build, and I am getting lots of dry hits.

Re-wicked with less cotton several times until there is barely any resting on the wicking ports, and also tried with the wick ends thinned out...no gurgling yet, and barely any cotton and still dry hits above 13watts. I prefer to be 17-19w (for a ~1.0-1.2 Ohm build) and cant get there unless I let it 'rest' for about a full minute after maybe 3-pulls in a row.

So with dry hits and weak hits, I am not impressed (yet). Chain vaping fails on the VapeShell for me so far, whereas it is EASY on all the other atomizers I have for the BB.

So far the Exocet seems to be the easiest to get get a consistent SS build for TC, that will also let me chain vape.

Wish I had a Bastard Coil, but I simply cannot afford it now, so I'll put that wish aside for a while...

Any suggestions for a good build ~1.0 Ohm or higher with SS for TC in the VapeShell?

Please share. THANKS! :)

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My SXK VapeShell came yesterday.

So far tried about a dozen builds in it, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, all spaced, with 24g, 26g, 28g SS316L ~1.1 Ohm and 26g Kanthal ~1.2 Ohm.

I like the draw wide open, but in TC (yes with having setup the DNA60 via Escribe) it seems to throttle back a lot more than the Kanger-style RBA, the Insider and the Exocet, so I resorted back to power mode, for each build, and I am getting lots of dry hits.

Re-wicked with less cotton several times until there is barely any resting on the wicking ports, and also tried with the wick ends thinned out...no gurgling yet, and barely any cotton and still dry hits above 13watts. I prefer to be 17-19w (for a ~1.0-1.2 Ohm build) and cant get there unless I let it 'rest' for about a full minute after maybe 3-pulls in a row.

So with dry hits and weak hits, I am not impressed (yet). Chain vaping fails on the VapeShell for me so far, whereas it is EASY on all the other atomizers I have for the BB.

So far the Exocet seems to be the easiest to get get a consistent SS build for TC, that will also let me chain vape.

Wish I had a Bastard Coil, but I simply cannot afford it now, so I'll put that wish aside for a while...

Any suggestions for a good build ~1.0 Ohm or higher with SS for TC in the VapeShell?

Please share. THANKS! :)

I have nothing... but if I did get the SXK VapeShell, I know the first thing I would do is open the wick holes with a larger drill bit.

From what I have read, people say to pack the coil tightly with cotton...cut without fluffing to where it barely rests over holes...go to town.

But from wicking everything else I own ( Non-BB related ) tight packed wicks end up tasting like shit lol

I don't ever thin out wicks...always seemed counter intuitive...less material = less absorption, even with my RSAs Snug but not tight, cut to length, tuck.

I do like the Insider and I have an Exo on the way...even with an Alien coil in the Insider I get a really nice vape from it...but not the perfected ones I have on my RSAs...

Really hoping I get on with the Exo...seems to have worry free wicking.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I have nothing... but if I did get the SXK VapeShell, I know the first thing I would do is open the wick holes with a larger drill bit.

From what I have read, people say to pack the coil tightly with cotton...cut without fluffing to where it barely rests over holes...go to town.

But from wicking everything else I own ( Non-BB related ) tight packed wicks end up tasting like shit lol

I don't ever thin out wicks...always seemed counter intuitive...less material = less absorption, even with my RSAs Snug but not tight, cut to length, tuck.

I do like the Insider and I have an Exo on the way...even with an Alien coil in the Insider I get a really nice vape from it...but not the perfected ones I have on my RSAs...

Really hoping I get on with the Exo...seems to have worry free wicking.
Thanks for the reply.

My initial wicking was based upon Jai Haze's video on the VapeShell.

Tight in the coil, and just to cover the wicking holes.

The second wicking was similar, but even less wick, like with the Insider, how you only need like a tiny bow-tie of cotton, kind of fanned-out maybe protruding only about 3-4mm from the last wrap of the coil.

With the Insider, any more cotton than that was dry hits, not matter the coil dia. from 2mm up to 3.5mm. I followed very closely Geekay's tutorial for both the Insider and Exocet.

I'm now rocking the Exocet, with a 26g SS316L, 2.5mm, 9-wrap spaced build, and it's 0.98 Ohms. I can take it up to 35 watts before dry hits when chain vaping, and in TC mode, 19w @ 420F is just perfect.

I am using a wire material setting with TCR of 0.00111 that I uploaded from Escribe and it works well for the SS wire that I have.

I took some pix of the DNA USB Data/Charging board and how I soldered my wires to it, and will upload them tomorrow hopefully.

Also, that reddit member fadelio, has a tutorial on reddit on how to use Escribe with your BB which is pretty closed to what I did:

https://old.reddit.com/r/electronic...4xg/easy_tutorial_for_billet_box_programming/

Last edited:

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I know the first thing I would do is open the wick holes with a larger drill bit.

Since I bought 2x of these VapeShell clones, I can take the second one and enlarge the holes.

I did that on the Kanger-style RBA head, and opened them up to 3.5mm, and never got a dry hit on that up to 35w, but never went beyond 35w as I find that too hot for me at the drip-tip.

If I do enlarge the holes, I will report back and let you know if it makes any difference.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Since I bought 2x of these VapeShell clones, I can take the second one and enlarge the holes.

I did that on the Kanger-style RBA head, and opened them up to 3.5mm, and never got a dry hit on that up to 35w, but never went beyond 35w as I find that too hot for me at the drip-tip.

If I do enlarge the holes, I will report back and let you know if it makes any difference.

Yes, quoting myself...

@So619Cal

As measured with digital calipers, the existing holes in the bottom of the SXK VapeShell clone are each, exactly 2.32mm.

The next largest drill bit I have for the Dremel is 2.75mm (the one after that is 3.15mm).

Since I am using my own DIY 100% VG juice I can go larger, but if I go too large it will leak and/or gurgle...esp if I try to use some 70/30 or 60/40 or similar later on and forget...

So I only enlarged both holes up to 2.75mm. So they are each now 0.43mm larger or a total of 0.86mm more juice flow into the base.

I did remove the positive block, for which you need to insert a 1-2mm screwdriver into the air-slots of the positive pin in order to unscrew, carefully...and then re-install after. You may not need to do this.

After drilling it out and measuring again to confirm the 2.75mm dia. hole, I burnished the holes on each side with the tip of a 3mm Phillips screwdriver to remove any burrs, and gave everything a good rinse in hot water and brushed with a toothbrush to make sure there were no metal shavings anywhere.

Then I installed a SS316L 26g, 3mm spaced, 11 wrap coil, which comes out to 0.80 Ohms when cold and goes up to 0.99 ohms in watts mode.

Speaking of which, I was able to chain-vape 10 hits @ 25w without ANY dry hits!

I took a few pulls at 30w, and no dry hits either, but was unpleasantly hot at the drip tip for me...

SO back into TC mode, with my SS TCR of 0.00111, 19w @ 420F, about 20 rapid pulls chain-vaping, and voila! no dry hits!!!
:stars2:

So my @So619Cal brother in all things Billet Box - you are a genius (I did not think to enlarge the holes yet) and thank you for the suggestion...

I will add a photo to the set when I break down the tank for cleaning in a few days and post it here...

:)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Typical build for me, around 7-8 simple kanthal wraps, 2.5mm diameter.
2gvr9qt.jpg

I can easily chain vape at higher wattage without any dry hits. For me, I find the wick holes are spot on IMO; I'm quite certain I would definitely have gurgling if I opened up the wickholes any larger with the way I vape. (12-14W)

Still, nice to know you can easily modify the wick holes, this atty is a very simple design, so lots of room to tweak/adjust this thing to your exact preference ;)

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Typical build for me, around 7-8 simple kanthal wraps, 2.5mm diameter.
2gvr9qt.jpg

I can easily chain vape at higher wattage without any dry hits. For me, I find the wick holes are spot on IMO; I'm quite certain I would definitely have gurgling if I opened up the wickholes any larger with the way I vape. (12-14W)

Still, nice to know you can easily modify the wick holes, this atty is a very simple design, so lots of room to tweak/adjust this thing to your exact preference ;)
Thanks so much for the detailed reply of your build and for including the photo.

Likely your juice is thinner than my 100% VG, thus it can wick easier.

I cannot use PG at all as it makes me very sick, which is a big reason I got into DIY early on. If I want to thin my juice I can go up to 90-VG/10-distilled/filtered-water which is about the same viscosity of 50VG/50PG (i.e., very thinned out)...

Can you share the normal VG/PG ratio of your juice?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks so much for the detailed reply of your build and for including the photo.

Likely your juice is thinner than my 100% VG, thus it can wick easier.

I cannot use PG at all as it makes me very sick, which is a big reason I got into DIY early on. If I want to thin my juice I can go up to 90-VG/10-distilled/filtered-water which is about the same viscosity of 50VG/50PG (i.e., very thinned out)...

Can you share the normal VG/PG ratio of your juice?

70/30 VG/PG

VU Sponsors