Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, quoting myself...

@So619Cal

As measured with digital calipers, the existing holes in the bottom of the SXK VapeShell clone are each, exactly 2.32mm.

The next largest drill bit I have for the Dremel is 2.75mm (the one after that is 3.15mm).

Since I am using my own DIY 100% VG juice I can go larger, but if I go too large it will leak and/or gurgle...esp if I try to use some 70/30 or 60/40 or similar later on and forget...

So I only enlarged both holes up to 2.75mm. So they are each now 0.43mm larger or a total of 0.86mm more juice flow into the base.

I did remove the positive block, for which you need to insert a 1-2mm screwdriver into the air-slots of the positive pin in order to unscrew, carefully...and then re-install after. You may not need to do this.

After drilling it out and measuring again to confirm the 2.75mm dia. hole, I burnished the holes on each side with the tip of a 3mm Phillips screwdriver to remove any burrs, and gave everything a good rinse in hot water and brushed with a toothbrush to make sure there were no metal shavings anywhere.

Then I installed a SS316L 26g, 3mm spaced, 11 wrap coil, which comes out to 0.80 Ohms when cold and goes up to 0.99 ohms in watts mode.

Speaking of which, I was able to chain-vape 10 hits @ 25w without ANY dry hits!

I took a few pulls at 30w, and no dry hits either, but was unpleasantly hot at the drip tip for me...

SO back into TC mode, with my SS TCR of 0.00111, 19w @ 420F, about 20 rapid pulls chain-vaping, and voila! no dry hits!!!
:stars2:

So my @So619Cal brother in all things Billet Box - you are a genius (I did not think to enlarge the holes yet) and thank you for the suggestion...

I will add a photo to the set when I break down the tank for cleaning in a few days and post it here...

:)

Woot !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well that was fucking disgusting lol

So for scientific purposes ;) I wanted to see how long one of these cCell coils would last...this morning one finally called it quits.

I wanted to really chug juice through it and see about how many ml's of juice one could vape before the ceramic bits break down... well I can say that is approximately 85ml of 30w vaping on the .6 coil heads.

Odd thing was... there was little flavor shift and no color shift up to the point of the ceramic failing...so in my opinion...I'd back off and call it 70ml worthy coils... which is a lot imo.

Now for you all that vape flavorless juices ymmv.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well that was fucking disgusting lol

So for scientific purposes ;) I wanted to see how long one of these cCell coils would last...this morning one finally called it quits.

I wanted to really chug juice through it and see about how many ml's of juice one could vape before the ceramic bits break down... well I can say that is approximately 85ml of 30w vaping on the .6 coil heads.

Odd thing was... there was little flavor shift and no color shift up to the point of the ceramic failing...so in my opinion...I'd back off and call it 70ml worthy coils... which is a lot imo.

Now for you all that vape flavorless juices ymmv.
Just popped in one of the Kanger ceramic heads. I'll report back once I get a good feel for it. Initially flavor is a little funky and they required about 40W to get moving with a little ramp up. Twice power than the 1.2 ohm OCC COILS (duh, bc it's a 0.5 ohm cool).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@So619Cal and @jmoney426, what coils and bridge are you using? The BB comes with a OCC bridge, what coils do I need while I'm waiting for rebuildable bridges and stuff to arrive ?

I am using the A-Tank with Vaporesso cCell .6 coils... the Boro is different than the that comes with the BB... Like I can't use the OCC bridge, VapeShell, Insider etc. with it... it was designed to be used with the Atlantis Family sized coils only.

As for the occ... Kanger style

c4897d57346027ad267df132bf9b2d1c.jpg

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am using the A-Tank with Vaporesso cCell .6 coils... the Boro is different than the that comes with the BB... Like I can't use the OCC bridge, VapeShell, Insider etc. with it... it was designed to be used with the Atlantis Family sized coils only.

As for the occ... Kanger style
Thanks, got it. Now I need to order a couple of A tanks just because. ..

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What's the Dea with those Zombie coils? Anything different from a normal one to her than look?

No idea, haven't used a kanger coil in years nor any of these yet.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No idea, haven't used a kanger coil in years nor any of these yet.

The last one I think I used before this was in the Protank 2 which sat on top of my MVP!

BTW, SXK VapeShell arrived today. All bits and bobs present and no logo. I cleaned her up (remembered after the Haku debacle ), installed the smallest airflow insert, and threw in a 316L 28g coil. 8 wraps, 2.5mm ID comes out to 0.55 ohms.

Flavor is nice, no dry hits. Also using it without the Afc ring and troydestroy's Dry Plug. MTL goodness.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You should double check that VapeShell... 28g 8 wrap ( although I am sure its either 7.5 or 8.5 being that the clamps are opposite of one another ) 2.5mm should be way higher than .55...

upload_2018-5-21_13-43-4.png

.55 is 5 wraps

upload_2018-5-21_13-44-19.png

Although 26g 8.5 wraps on 2.5mm is .55 ;)

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should double check that VapeShell... 28g 8 wrap ( although I am sure its either 7.5 or 8.5 being that the clamps are opposite of one another ) 2.5mm should be way higher than .55...

View attachment 111695

.55 is 5 wraps

View attachment 111696

Although 26g 8.5 wraps on 2.5mm is .55 ;)
Yup, 26g. My bad. Vapeshell is good. Typing is not.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
well I am in trouble... ;)

I REALLY like the BB...must resist selling off squonk gear to buy another...

Do I need 2? No

BUT

I want 2 lol

Seriously only squonk I am running is the Neo with the Chin-NarDa and BrewCap, everything else is cleaned and stowed :eek:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Do I need 2? No

BUT

I want 2 lol

Seriously only squonk I am running is the Neo with the Chin-NarDa and BrewCap, everything else is cleaned and stowed :eek:
Try the SXK one!:)
If I really like the BB, I'm planning to get get a couple of SXK's for knock arounds...

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try the SXK one!:)
If I really like the BB, I'm planning to get get a couple of SXK's for knock arounds...

I probably will...but it has to wait til after the Venna arrives... if the Venna is shit, I'll sell that and buy the SXK60 or if another good deal on an authentic lands in my lap lol

Already know or lets say I have a good feeling the Venna is not going to be what I like, unless I get a Black Ultem cap from NRC...know all to well those style RSAs get warm no matter what build you run

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Do I need 2? No

BUT

I want 2 lol

I'm with you. Since really digging in trying to find my best vape on the various RBA heads on the BB, I have not touched any squonk setups in like 10 days...not really wanting too...seems like a hassle now compared to BB refills once your RBA head is nice where you like it.

Rewicking is more of a PITA than on an RSA, but running my own unflavored 100% VG juice and in TC mode, I get about 100ml of refills in the BB before the cotton starts to under-perform, and the tiny amt of sweetness from the VG is gone and replaced with a flavor that tastes like vaping 'beige-water', sort of like a Hay flavor if you know what I mean...and sure enough there is some brown gunk on the coils, but nothing a rinse and gentle scrub with a toothbrush cant fix. After re-wicking it's good to go for another 100ml or so. These have been my observations over the past 4 months, and they persist whether using the Insider, Exocet, Kanger-style RBA...

...and not sure yet on the VapeShell as I am trying to find the right build for me. I have the 3rd-largest AFC restrictor in, and that has the same air flow as my Kanger TopTank Mini with the RBA head, which is kind of the baseline vape experience I am trying to match on my BB...

Considering that I have spend almost as much, if not more on extra boro tanks, and 2 of each atomizer (all clones) as I paid for the SXK BB DNA60 itself, I too am thinking I should get another, as a backup. Not sure my squonk setups (all cheapies) would cover that cost.

Also, if my tastes change again, I will have to go find squonk gear again, so for me, I will likely hold on to what I have for now.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm with you. Since really digging in trying to find my best vape on the various RBA heads on the BB, I have not touched any squonk setups in like 10 days...not really wanting too...seems like a hassle now compared to BB refills once your RBA head is nice where you like it.

Rewicking is more of a PITA than on an RSA, but running my own unflavored 100% VG juice and in TC mode, I get about 100ml of refills in the BB before the cotton starts to under-perform, and the tiny amt of sweetness from the VG is gone and replaced with a flavor that tastes like vaping 'beige-water', sort of like a Hay flavor if you know what I mean...and sure enough there is some brown gunk on the coils, but nothing a rinse and gentle scrub with a toothbrush cant fix. After re-wicking it's good to go for another 100ml or so. These have been my observations over the past 4 months, and they persist whether using the Insider, Exocet, Kanger-style RBA...

...and not sure yet on the VapeShell as I am trying to find the right build for me. I have the 3rd-largest AFC restrictor in, and that has the same air flow as my Kanger TopTank Mini with the RBA head, which is kind of the baseline vape experience I am trying to match on my BB...

Considering that I have spend almost as much, if not more on extra boro tanks, and 2 of each atomizer (all clones) as I paid for the SXK BB DNA60 itself, I too am thinking I should get another, as a backup. Not sure my squonk setups (all cheapies) would cover that cost.

Also, if my tastes change again, I will have to go find squonk gear again, so for me, I will likely hold on to what I have for now.
The biggest fear I have is that I'll die first and my wife will sell my squonks for what I told her I payed for them!:sad: That being said, I have a few stab wood squonks that even though have the hole in the wrong place, are still among my favorites.
The BB is on it's way and I believe I will just have to get at least one SXK so I'll be able to compare between authentic and clone. As far as bridges are concerned, I have a couple of VapeShells incoming, the rest I'm not so sure. I will order the MF complete kit and probably the Insider MTL....for now.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The biggest fear I have is that I'll die first and my wife will sell my squonks for what I told her I payed for them!:sad: That being said, I have a few stab wood squonks that even though have the hole in the wrong place, are still among my favorites.
The BB is on it's way and I believe I will just have to get at least one SXK so I'll be able to compare between authentic and clone. As far as bridges are concerned, I have a couple of VapeShells incoming, the rest I'm not so sure. I will order the MF complete kit and probably the Insider MTL....for now.
I'd also like an Insider MTL... if only I can sell that damn Li-Mo! I'm practically giving it away at the price I'm asking!

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I just bought the MF full kit! I figured the coils and different tops/bottoms will allow for some MTL and restricted DL options. Should be here in a couple or three weeks.....

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks like the real deal, and it has a black button:cheers:
Seriously, it looks like a good deal.

It also comes with a Silver JMK drip tip and Button lol which are about $50.

So on the fence... I really want another one, this is a good price...its one of the colorways I like...I have the money...but I also have to pay for the stupid Venna in like 4 days

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

So on the fence... I really want another one, this is a good price...its one of the colorways I like...I have the money...but I also have to pay for the stupid Venna in like 4 days
Go for it.....you can always sell it :wave: in four days:cheers:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

WELL>>???? Did you?

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No... its still available.

I want to though...but not going to.

Good deals run in 3's for me... that is #2... there will be a 3rd sometime soon lol
I would if I could....Now I'm thinking I should've gotten the A tank kit from FT....It was $10 !
Oh, well... The MF kit shipped, the EUC coils shipped, the BB shipped! I need to find the subtank mini coils I know are still around here, somewhere.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would if I could....Now I'm thinking I should've gotten the A tank kit from FT....It was $10 !
Oh, well... The MF kit shipped, the EUC coils shipped, the BB shipped! I need to find the subtank mini coils I know are still around here, somewhere.

I thought the A-Tank at FT was OoS or Discontinued?... yup OoS

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought the A-Tank at FT was OoS or Discontinued?... yup OoS
I had it in my cart for the longest time, way back when I thought about getting a BB (a few months ago?). They might get more if SXK is releasing another batch of BB's, I asked them (FT) to notify me.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My last batch was misprinted :( but i have a new version prototype on the way to me right now. If all is well i hope to have stock by the end of next week :)

I also have been working on some new texture panels :)
fd2ddb1664ef3973f6506d98ff49f3fa.jpg
838f389f02e7c6559713c4bf4ef6c43c.jpg
1a2c9fa8a74373cab71c9928f8c66c9e.jpg
The fact that the last batch was misprinted sucks rocks in a big way. I guess I'll just have to vape the BB unplugged for a week or so:confused:

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The fact that the last batch was misprinted sucks rocks in a big way. I guess I'll just have to vape the BB unplugged for a week or so:confused:
Might try bunching up some paper towel around the bottom of the boro. I've successfully restricted the airflow this way :)

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What sanity? Lost that a long time ago, if I ever had it..
Thank you both for the suggestions.

The little bit of paper towel is to eliminate the sweating between the back side of the boro and the mod wall...any lil bit of moisture and you can't just simply tap the boro out...just a tiny bit of moisture acts like a suction cup lol

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The little bit of paper towel is to eliminate the sweating between the back side of the boro and the mod wall...any lil bit of moisture and you can't just simply tap the boro out...just a tiny bit of moisture acts like a suction cup lol
Yeah that's a bit of a bitch eh? #BBLyfeProblems

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Also Brew, get used to cutting a small swatch of paper towel to go behind the boro...it will save you some sanity lol
ha ha! I discovered this as well!

When it is wet behind the tank, it does not want to come out, and requires me to put something into the 510 are to give it a nudge to break the surface tension against the back of the tank and the inside of the BB...

I have to cut more strips soon...

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My last batch was misprinted :( but i have a new version prototype on the way to me right now. If all is well i hope to have stock by the end of next week :)

I also have been working on some new texture panels :)
fd2ddb1664ef3973f6506d98ff49f3fa.jpg
838f389f02e7c6559713c4bf4ef6c43c.jpg

1a2c9fa8a74373cab71c9928f8c66c9e.jpg
@troydestroy

Those doors look nice.

Any chance you'll be making one with a vertical juice window and/or a window for the screen and/or buttons?

I've often thought about getting a set of solid doors, cutting said rounded slots, and then supergluing in a strip of lexan to fill the gap, and sanding it smooth on the outside so it feels nice in the hand...

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@troydestroy

Those doors look nice.

Any chance you'll be making one with a vertical juice window and/or a window for the screen and/or buttons?

I've often thought about getting a set of solid doors, cutting said rounded slots, and then supergluing in a strip of lexan to fill the gap, and sanding it smooth on the outside so it feels nice in the hand...
I've had several requests for windows... I may work in a set soon :)

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I may not have been paying attention, but do you need an A-Tank to run the Mf Bridge?

I may be having carpal tunnel surgery and won't be able to build for a while. I like the idea of running those Vaporesso coils, but if it's going to cost me $120 just to run them I'd rather just pick up the Nautilus bridge.

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I may not have been paying attention, but do you need an A-Tank to run the Mf Bridge?

I may be having carpal tunnel surgery and won't be able to build for a while. I like the idea of running those Vaporesso coils, but if it's going to cost me $120 just to run them I'd rather just pick up the Nautilus bridge.

Nope. Standard boro.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I'm actually going to go with the SXK Nautilus bridge and get those 0.7 ohm ceramic Nautilus 2 coils.

Anyone know where I can buy JUST the bridge on its own? Seems silly to drop $35 on the authentic.

BTW, the flavor on the Kanger ceramic heads is great, but ramp up sucks even at 40W... I'd avoid them bc of that.

VU Sponsors