Blew my computer - URGENT

Discussion in 'What NOT to do!' started by jtbmagic1, Oct 16, 2017.

1. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Just bought a MINI VAPORIZER PEN KIT HIGH QUALITY
    -280mAH battery///Mini USB charger // 510 thread // bud touch O-pen
    - element// blue box - no instructions

NEW COMPUTER , BOUGHT 2 MONTHS AGO , WITH MY OWN ART WORK ON IT, .. WORKED BEFORE I HOOKED UP THE VAPOR , NOW THE $3000.00 COMPUTER WITH MY OWN ART WORK IS DEAD...
    --- Any one have this problem ??? Any suggesting ???
    ---- No # listed to call !!!!!

2. voicenyerhed

voicenyerhed Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I have never heard of this issue before. That sucks, though, dude! I hope someone is able to help.

3. kevin littell

kevin littell Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Vape smoked the 5 volt rail... Go get a new power supply for it and a better quality vape.

And dont plug it into a computer. Use a wall charger.

4. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I don't even see HOW it was even possibly ! hopefully someone will have an answer for me... This was my friends computer who is an artist & all his work is on the computer ... Why doesn't site have a phone #

5. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:

6. kevin littell

Blog Posts:
    Look,

Even the best, highest quality vape gear, unless sourced from Europe or the Philippines is still the highest quality that the lowest Chinese bidder can produce. Alot of these small battry style pens have questionable batteries in them and the power supplys are unregulated....They dont shut off when the battery charges because THAT chipset cost's an extra 10 pennies.

Its likely that the power supply overloaded the 5vdc rail in the computer or smoked (shorted ) the USB board on the computer,

Good news is when the power supply sees a short and dies it USUALLY oesnt smoke the main board or kill the hard drive.

Get a wall charger.

anavidfan, Teresa P and Raymcconn like this.
  7. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    model # SKD038 ///imput DC5V ///output DC5V 0.1A
    You mean a DC 5V will blow my computer when charging ?

8. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    ... I know nothing about a computer ,so you think all I need is a new USB board on the computer & all the data & art work is still there ?

9. SteveS45

SteveS45 Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Before you go throwing parts at a PC you need to properly diagnose the problem. Simple Testing of the power supply requires a PS Tester and plugging it in. I have been charging everything from Cig-A-Likes to 3 Cell MOD's in any of my PC's and have never had a problem. I had a 50 type Compact Flash drive fry while hooked up to a PC and nothing happened to the PC but the drive actually melted!

jcash74 likes this.
  10. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Yes it can.
    many computers are only rated at a fairly small current thru the 510. so you can overload it and cook the USB circuitry which the keyboard and many things in the PC uses.
    And of course as stated the ecig chargers are cheap junk anyway.

Use a 5V wall adapter for charging anything not just ecigs.

11. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    The data should still be on the hard drive and the computer is probaboly repairable or the hard drive can be swapped into another computer by a knowledgeable person to access your data.

anavidfan likes this.
  12. kevin littell

Blog Posts:
    Lets break this down into 2 components and Ill explain.

1: the vape. Battery, Atomizer and charger.

2 Computer. Main board, memory, hard drive, USB card, video card, Networking cards and Input Output devices. All powered by its power supply.

You plugged the vape battery into the USB port of the computer to charge it. The vape battery now draws 5 vdc from the computer power supply to the vape power supply to charger the battery via the USB board.

Vape pen power supply is made by the lowest bidder in China.

Vape pen power supply starts drawing more juice then the USB port or computer power supply can provide...More electrical current means more heat on the components....At some point one of the components of either the vape pen power supply, USB board or computer power supply will reach critical heat threshold and release its magic smoke. (Once the magic smoke is released it will never work again ;)

So, throw that vape away and get one that has a regulated power supply in it and take the puter to a repair shop that can determine if the power supply or USB card had a smoke release and bear in mind that alot of folks have been caught up in this.

I damn near burned the house down 4 years ago using the very same method!

Teresa P likes this.
  13. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    anavidfan likes this.
  14. anavidfan

anavidfan Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    300 or 3000, the worth of ones computer is worth what its stores and what you use it for.

I never plug anything to charge on mine. Never, why? I have a wall socket and a charger and if you dont,and its an emergency plug it in and monitor the thing plugged in. Touch it, make sure its not getting hot, nor the area where the usb port is not getting hot, if it its, disconnect it and turn the computer off and let it cool off.

The power supply on most computers are usually the minimum to use it to browse the internet.

SOme programs make the computer "rev" up and cause it to push that power to its limit. Ambient temperature, dust, other peripherals can often cause it to heat up and it will turn itself off many times to protect itself.

My computer is my lifes extension. I do photography etc. I have all my important stuff on external drives and back those up.

If your are not very knowledgeable with computers, take it to someone and hopefully you can find someone honest that can see whats wrong.

THe artwork is NOT lost, It can be accessed by putting it in another computer and go from there. Even if the hard drive is what failed it can be retrieved.

I wish I were close I could do that for you. Is this a laptop or desktop?

zombievapereview likes this.
  15. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:

16. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    It's a desk top &

17. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    It's a desk top & your right it's the art work on it that matters , But...do you think geek squad at Best buy is a good place to go ....

18. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:

19. jtbmagic1

jtbmagic1 New Member

Blog Posts:
    it's a desk top.. do you think best buy is a good place to go ?. ( geek squad ).. It's not my computer but I feel partly responsible ..

20. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Before you do anything check the outlet or power strip the PC is plugged in to.

21. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    upload_2017-10-16_17-37-9.png

I do not have a high opinion of GS or BB Tech Support.

UncleRJ and 2WhiteWolves like this.
  22. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Ive had better luck with Data Doctors, your milage may vary.

anavidfan likes this.
  23. r055co

r055co VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    They're fucking morons, best is to find a good actual computer repair shop. Can't tell you how many times I've had to go in and clean up the messes these idiots have done on friends computers.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

2WhiteWolves, SteveS45 and anavidfan like this.
  24. anavidfan

anavidfan Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on the Best buy. Do you have a microcenter around? Ive always done my own work on desktops, laptops Ive never actually done anything to other than change out hard drives and monitor/ screens.

inspects likes this.
  25. dropin_biking

dropin_biking New Member

Blog Posts:
    Coming from a 12 year computer expert, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt ANY short on the 5volts rails will cook the computer. I've witnessed power supplies catch fire and surge out, melting motherboards, everything else intact. I've seen computers go into protection from overload and over-voltage. Simply turning the power supply off and back on fixes it. I've personally sent 2volts through my CPU when overclocking and put it into protect mode, it came back after clearing the CMOS.

I would HIGHLY recommend taking the tower in for inspection, but I seriously doubt a USB device caused the entire computer to fail.

David Wolf likes this.
  26. bobnat

bobnat VU Donator Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Stop and think for a moment. This is a vaping forum. Your problem is a computer problem. Why don't you either go to a computer shop or forum, they'll be able to help you.

r055co likes this.
  27. David Wolf

David Wolf Bronze Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I was waiting on someone knowledgeable to respond. USB ports have overcurrent protection so it shouldn’t have killed the power supply. Things fail, usually the USB port only fails to work if something’s wrong with it. Whether this Pc failure was a result of uSB Protection failure (doubt it) or another cause is the question.

28. rayrayrayyyy

rayrayrayyyy New Member

Blog Posts:
    im sorry to hear that.... Can you fix it at last ?

29. snake94115

snake94115 Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Yes...Every damn time too.
    Those USB 2 & USB 3 nodes can only handle about 2 volts.And if the USB's aren't (Protected Ports) then you can wave bye-bye to your super expensive computer when the damn USB hub fries your motherboard.

I will never understand why most computers do not come with (Protected USB nodes & hubs)
    It is only a $0.23 difference in price...FFS SMFH!

30. dropin_biking

dropin_biking New Member

Blog Posts:
  31. snake94115

Blog Posts:
    obee-kaybee

32. NinaGood

NinaGood New Member

Blog Posts:
    Have just the same question

33. snake94115

Blog Posts:
    Which question?

34. Moniker

Moniker Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I used to work on computers for side money but there isn't a whole lot I can do without being there to trouble shoot the thing.

Worst case scenario you fried all your components which suck Best case scenario your power supply took a crap and didn't take anything with it. Also if you don't know anything about computers and you dropped 3k on it you either got WAY more pc than you know what to do with or you got ripped off. Hopefully, the hard drive with your artwork is still good wish I could help you more.

dropin_biking likes this.
  35. Moniker

Moniker Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    .23 adds up on that kind of a scale, Im hoping she got lucky and she can salvage some of the parts.

36. snake94115

Blog Posts:
    Possible but doubtful.
    Last time I fried a motherboard it killed everything in the computer.