Become a Patron!

blow my face off?

Rock Hunter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok, got me a GP Paps clone, a brass monkey RBA with a nice coil that shows it's .25ohm. Me battery is Efest IMR 18650 3.7V LI-MN 35A

Am I gunna blow my face off with this...?

( I keep reading on battery safety, but still just a confused as hell. )

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's lower than I like to go. And I'm not really a fan of the efest battery. That's the purple one right?
Blow your face off? probably not.
I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing that battery that hard. But that's just me. I have one of those purple efest and I have sub ohmed with it but never below 0.5. And only feel comfortable going just below an ohm like 0.7ish
But that's just what I'm comfortable with on that battery.

I guess by looking at my post you can tell that I'm not comfortable with the thought of pushing that battery like that;)

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The simple answer is probably not, but the more complicated answer is maybe?
I don't have any of the 35a efests, but I've heard they are actually only rated at 20a for continuous discharge. With the build you have, your running close to 17 amps, which should be ok. I never take my batteries that close to the limit, but I still think you most likely will not push your battery to the point of venting.
If you do vent, hopefully the paps has good vent holes (never used that either).
With all that said, there's always a risk of getting a short or dropping your mod the wrong way or something else going terribly wrong. Just make sure to measure your resistance, keep your mod clean and remove the battery immediately if it gets unusually hot.
Have fun!

Rock Hunter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, it's the purple one and plenty of vent holes on the bottom of the mech.
Thanks for the responses.
I very, very, very hesitant to try this one... but it sits there, staring at me.
I think I'm going to pass and try to wrap a higher ohm coil.
I'm new to this sub ohm stuff & a friend did this coil for me.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, it's the purple one and plenty of vent holes on the bottom of the mech.
Thanks for the responses.
I very, very, very hesitant to try this one... but it sits there, staring at me.
I think I'm going to pass and try to wrap a higher ohm coil.
I'm new to this sub ohm stuff & a friend did this coil for me.
Asking question is wonderful!
It's pretty simple to build coils once you get into it. You won't have to bring the ohms up too much and you'll still get a great vape and good peace of mind while doing so.
Like @bluraff3 said, have fun:)
And get a hold of some better more reputable batteries and then if you still wanna go that low you can be confident in your battery.

You're actually more likely to collapse the switch spring in that Paps at 0.25 ohm.
The Paps series of mechs have been around for a while and were developed before the whole sub-ohm thing took hold. As such, the device was not made with sub-ohm vaping in mind. It stands to reason that the China made clones didn't bother modifying the original design or alter construction materials to correct this.

Not saying you can't do it but keep in mind that that the Paps performs better (and probably safer) at resistances above 0.5 ohms. For sub-ohm usage I would recommend something like a Manhattan clone or just about any pinoy mod. If you want to stick with European designs then go with a magnetic switch and avoid spring-loaded pins in the top cap.

My two cents.

Well I have a current build of 28g dual parallel coils at .2ohms in a patriot RDA using an efest 35amp. Been running a week now no issues. Long deep lung draws. rDA gets HOT battery gets warm but no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those Devils at efest lol. Those purple 35 amps are rated continuous at 20 amp. Same as the red 60 amp efest batteries are really rebranded Sony vtc4's that are rated continuous at only 30 amps and pulse at 60. I must thank efest though, after continual complaints they are now packaging the vtc4's in purple with 30 amp printed on them.

Rock Hunter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
well, after having it sitting there staring at me, I took it apart. I really wanted to blast some vape from that baby..but my safety build brain just wouldn't let me.
Side note- at 3 am, bored, threw some japanese cotton in a PT2 as a flavor wick..and man oh man...clouds 'n vapor. What the hell have I been doing this last year!! Shoulda figured this out along time ago.

A_Wild_Yeap_Appears!

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you build a janky coil even at higher resistance and it shorts, you will still have battery issues. You can get tons of vapor and flavor even at 1ohm, just wrap your coil in a smaller diameter (1/16) and stick to a single coil build.

Set that as your benchmark and work your way down (or up if its too much for your preference) as you see fit.

As for the Purple Efests, I was told these are re-branded/wrapped VTC4 batteries, was also told they are re-branded/wrapped VTC3. In either case, as long as you monitor them periodically, you will be fine. I've been using the purple 18650's, 18500 and 18350's ever since they came out and have never had any issues with them.

VU Sponsors