jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Question here about juice, not flavor bottles.

I have a ton of juice mixed up and even more single flavor testers. I have always used just masking tape and a sharpie - but this is no longer really working all that well. They can rub off, fade and all this is increased from any amount of juice on the label.

What are you DIY'ers out here doing for labels? And does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I am not looking to make a retail quality labels just something better than hand written smeared jargon :)

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back when I used glass bottles, I bought pages of print-on sticker labels that I made up on the computer, printed them out and stuck them on.

Then I moved onto just using masking tape and a sharpie.

Then I moved to plastic bottles, still using masking tape and a sharpie.

Now I just jot something directly onto the bottle with a sharpie.

But far and away, most durable method I ever used was those print-on sticker sheets I could run through my Epson at home. Those stayed legible forever, but they cost a bit of scratch. It also became kind of a pain in the butt to design a label on the pc, print, adjust and reprint (sometimes) just to label a single bottle at a time. Hence, my laziness.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got a label maker for Christmas a couple years back. Works great, when the labels actually stay on. Painters tape (leaves no residue) and a sharpie work fine. When I make a 10ml, or smaller, sample size, I just use a sharpie on the bottle.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back when I used glass bottles, I bought pages of print-on sticker labels that I made up on the computer, printed them out and stuck them on.

Then I moved onto just using masking tape and a sharpie.

Then I moved to plastic bottles, still using masking tape and a sharpie.

Now I just jot something directly onto the bottle with a sharpie.

But far and away, most durable method I ever used was those print-on sticker sheets I could run through my Epson at home. Those stayed legible forever, but they cost a bit of scratch. It also became kind of a pain in the butt to design a label on the pc, print, adjust and reprint (sometimes) just to label a single bottle at a time. Hence, my laziness.

I've gone through the same progression. On my squonk bottles it's just a sharpie to keep them organized. I got very tired of cleaning those damn stickers on my glass bottles.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
As with most, I'm lazy with my bottles, sometimes I don't even write what they are, but I can tell which juice it is on smell with the unlabeled ones. When I do write what they are, masking tape and blue ink pen on plastic bottles, I do avoid even touching the tape though and am usually pretty neat when it comes to filling my tanks, glass is another story however. I also like to use different colored lids on any batch I make, helps me sort out which is which with smeared and missing labels.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just use 99¢ Store labels and a Sharpie even with completely soaked labels starting to fall apart they are still readable and a quick replacement is right in the drawer. I do have some pre-made for the regular ADV's.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I just use white labels and ink. Can't remember to plck up plumber tape.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
by label maker
do you all mean something like this?
amazon.com/Brother-P-touch-Personal-Handheld-PT70BM/dp/B001DY5CAU

is so refills are 5 rolls of 26ft for $20

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
by label maker
do you all mean something like this?
amazon.com/Brother-P-touch-Personal-Handheld-PT70BM/dp/B001DY5CAU

is so refills are 5 rolls of 26ft for $20
Mine is a Brother but it’s not really s hand held it’s a table top Version & the labels were more $ if I remember correctly.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Tape, sharpie, then tape again. (Clear tape)

Edit: Sorry, I'm tired and didnt read the whole post and thread first

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, my labels are like $20 for 2 rolls. Granted that would last a long time, but so does my painters tape. I'm not a fancy person, my personal bottles aren't either. The most fancy I've gotten with them is sharpie on scotch tape, but one end folded over a little, for easy removal. I suppose I could hold my pinkie out in that process.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I like to keep it simple. I just use a self adhesive label, and top it of with a clear "packaging tape". It might need a refresh at times. However, so far, it has been working without a flaw.

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I always use a Brother label maker. The labels are waterproof, smear-proof, easy to get off when you need to, virtually indestructible and easy to read. For me, the cost is well worth it (even if the labeler does eat batteries at an alarming rate).

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I bought some "easy remove" labels at Office Max, because I was damn tired of scraping adhesive off glass with a razor blade. They tend to not stay on well, so I then wrap around the label with plain scotch tape -- which comes off easily without residue, but stays stuck! I write on the labels before applying, always in PENCIL! Pencil seems completely impervious to running/fading, even with ejuice, PG, or water on the bottle -- I soaked some bottles yesterday, and even after nearly 24 hrs in water, the labels written in pencil were still readable! All labels written in any kind of ink faded from the water, or the ink ran long ago from PG or ejuice.

Andria

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thank you everyone looks like I will use a mix of what I have been doing and suggestions here, never thought about writing direct on the bottle but its no biggie because I toss a lot of them anyhow. I also liked the suggestion of the label printer. My spouse makes soap and does other diy stuff so a label printer is something we can both use. Ordered the Brother PT-D210 on amazon today, it will be delivered in a few hours :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you everyone looks like I will use a mix of what I have been doing and suggestions here, never thought about writing direct on the bottle but its no biggie because I toss a lot of them anyhow. I also liked the suggestion of the label printer. My spouse makes soap and does other diy stuff so a label printer is something we can both use. Ordered the Brother PT-D210 on amazon today, it will be delivered in a few hours :)
Hey, Happy Birthday!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I use a sharpie to label both glass & plastic & then put a piece of clear, scotch tape over that.

That's my fave way, VG and hot water wash it off well enough for me. I was thinking, write on the scotch tape then put another scotch tape over to protect the ink and also make removal super easy

nellytron

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years

Do you realise you’ve linked the op to this thread?
The other link you gave, not one that answers his question.
;)

OP: I’m looking to get one of those simple label makers for my DIY juices but I’m not sure if they’ll be any better than what I currently use (labels from a local store with a thin tipped marker pen).

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I always use a Brother label maker. The labels are waterproof, smear-proof, easy to get off when you need to, virtually indestructible and easy to read. For me, the cost is well worth it (even if the labeler does eat batteries at an alarming rate).

I bought some rechargeable batteries for mine to solve that problem...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a label maker for Christmas a couple years back. Works great, when the labels actually stay on. Painters tape (leaves no residue) and a sharpie work fine. When I make a 10ml, or smaller, sample size, I just use a sharpie on the bottle.
I use a Brothers label maker.
the labels stay on as long as you clean the surface with an alcohol wipe or similar.
I even use them on my paired batteries and my squonk bottles.
And YES they even stay on squonk bottles.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ever since Steve told me I was uncool for not labeling my juice I've started labeling mine
be55830f95cb37c6fc14263bb4d19a2c.jpg

sent from my phone but thats not the reason for the bad spelling. it is what it is yo.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Because of this Thread I picked myself up an Elegant Writer for writing on my labels.

b0c29c4f523bc79ee2baf1a4bd88d4c151.jpg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ever since Steve told me I was uncool for not labeling my juice I've started labeling mine
be55830f95cb37c6fc14263bb4d19a2c.jpg

sent from my phone but thats not the reason for the bad spelling. it is what it is yo.

ahh but you are still young.
Labeling is a necessity for us oldsters.

Not quite to the point of having to put my picture up by the bathroom mirror though with my name under it :)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ahh but you are still young.
Labeling is a necessity for us oldsters.

Not quite to the point of having to put my picture up by the bathroom mirror though with my name under it :)
Lol all in good fun just playing around

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Kind of like that bad press video for NT that was recently a thread topic. Never forget the bad

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol all in good fun just playing around
emoji14.png

Same here.
Well mostly.
Labeling juice is needed more as I get older :)

I also put a batch number on all juice in development which relates to notes in my DIY notebook.
Now did I put 3 drops of Liquid amber in that or not....

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Same here.
Well mostly.
Labeling juice is needed more as I get older :)

I also put a batch number on all juice in development which relates to notes in my DIY notebook.
Now did I put 3 drops of Liquid amber in that or not....

I started out trying to be that meticulous, but spilled eliquid on my notepad and it devolved quickly into labels that said stuff like "strawberry SOMETHING" smeared by ejuice...I learned to stop trying to make so many bottles at once

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started out trying to be that meticulous, but spilled eliquid on my notepad and it devolved quickly into labels that said stuff like "strawberry SOMETHING" smeared by ejuice...I learned to stop trying to make so many bottles at once

Yeah it's pretty easy when you only vape one thing, all the time. :D Plus, I use so much flavoring, all you have to do is open the bottle to know immediately it's my strawberry & cream, which tastes and smells a lot like strawberry custard. :)

Andria

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just started posting notes on my phone!

Aside from stored locally and printed on paper the recipes are also stored online for access from anywhere at anytime. Assuming there is no power failure. Then the paper copies come in handy and a laser printer provides water proof toner. What is it they say about Backups?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just clarifying, when I said my labeling devolved into "strawberry something," I meant that I started labelling my bottles with names like that
Yeah it's pretty easy when you only vape one thing, all the time. :D Plus, I use so much flavoring, all you have to do is open the bottle to know immediately it's my strawberry & cream, which tastes and smells a lot like strawberry custard. :)

Andria

I'm gonna try another strawberry custard sometime...mmmm...

Last edited:

VU Sponsors