Become a Patron!

Bottom Feeder (alternate source suggestions)

eris667

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
:cool: ROFL, I was thinking about it
....but I have a Dark Horse mini, Chalice III, and Hobo v3 on the way already LOL

*edit* I didn't catch the pin until I saw a post on the Focal Forums

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
According to Doris from FC The black Velocity RDA does include the bottom feeder pin, but the Silver one does not. She said they will try and have manufacturer of silver one include the BF pin soon but no eta on that, but Black one DOES HAVE BF PIN! She sent me 2 small pics but they are not uploading on here for some reason :(

eris667

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I bought my Chalice from Focal - they also updated the Black Velocity description to include the Bottom Feeder pin
I was ordering from FT for the last year+, but since the Chinese New Year they have had sub-par service and are falling behind in Vaping Gear (still best prices) **In My Opinion**

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's the atomizer that comes with the VMod, bottom fed cartomizer/atomizer, it has a cone cover that holds the mod body to the shell.
I only used it on the small VMod, the VMod XL has a modded Squid on it. I don't really use either mod anymore since going sub-ohm, I collaped the spring in the XL and never went to repair it as I have many better option now.
Interested in selling it? I'm looking for a cheap way to try squonking without spending a fortune.

eris667

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
heard good things about the Chalice being a heckuva flavor atty ,is focal's BF ??
Ooooops - this is the one I bought - http://www.gearbest.com/electronic-cigarettes/pp_183972.html
Here is the Focal Version - http://focalecig.com/Product/Chalice-III-StyleRebuildable-Dripping-AtomizerSilver-28055

So far this year between AngelEcigs, Focal, Fasttech and GearBest - I am preferring the selection, customer service and shipping from Focal, with AngelEcigs as a close second (crazy shipping prices!)

Last edited:

pierces32

Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I've made quite a few purchases from Focal, I just wish it had the user community that Fasttech has, minus the Trolls! ;}
Cancel a pre-order from GearBest for an IPV4 and picked up the rdna 60W vapershark clone from Fasttech before they pulled it. It's a good mod, but honestly the Terminator has spoiled me with it's excellent performance, ease of use, flavor and vapor production. I can't wait to try the Hobo on it, but I have a feeling it's not going to be better than the Owl. The ridge for the positive pin is going to prevent it from sucking juice back into the bottle and it will be a leaky rda when pocketed. I might pickup a Velocity bf rda but am going to wait on some reviews. I mean how many bf rda's does one need?

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I've made quite a few purchases from Focal, I just wish it had the user community that Fasttech has, minus the Trolls! ;}
Cancel a pre-order from GearBest for an IPV4 and picked up the rdna 60W vapershark clone from Fasttech before they pulled it. It's a good mod, but honestly the Terminator has spoiled me with it's excellent performance, ease of use, flavor and vapor production. I can't wait to try the Hobo on it, but I have a feeling it's not going to be better than the Owl. The ridge for the positive pin is going to prevent it from sucking juice back into the bottle and it will be a leaky rda when pocketed. I might pickup a Velocity bf rda but am going to wait on some reviews. I mean how many bf rda's does one need?

If you need a rda that drains back, i doubt the Velocity is going to be for you. That pin sticks up out of deck probably close to 5 mm. The hobo's pin is down way farther that the Velocity

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I see that I missed out on the Hobo V3 from focalecig. (Did they ever have it?) So I searched for bottom to see if there were other options beside the Terminator and Hobo. Found a few interesting things.

If anyone wanted the Owl bottom fed RDA, its offered as a separate item for under $12. Personally I'd suggest spending the whole $24 for the complete setup, but that's a personal choice thing.

Saw the Geyscano regulated 50W bottom feeders. Somewhat pricey at about $75. Not sure I'm willing to be the first in on that. I'm also underwhelmed with the design. Imagine a Chinese clone DNA box. Increase its width to hold a feed bottle. Looks inelegant to me.

What did catch my eye was the $28 Cherry Bomber "mechanical" bottom feeder box. It has a wire that goes from battery top to 510 connector, hence the quotes. But it looks to be a rather low gauge wire (thick not thin) so there's nothing wrong with the design, just the word mechanical in the description. The wire is obviously thicker than the ones used in the Smokeless Owl. And its aluminum so way more rugged. You could buy both, keeping the plastic Smokeless as a backup but using the Owl RDA on the Cherry Bomber and have a pretty rugged setup for just over $50. Still a third the price of my Reo Grand. You could also pair it with either the Chalice or Terminator for about $40 total. Personally I found the Owl RDA to be too large with its dual coil only and lots of airflow. Much more a cloud chaser atty than a flavor atty which I feel are what squonkers are best suited for. The Chalice seems ideal. Not sure about the Terminator.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

pierces32

Member For 4 Years
Considering one of my favorite rda's was/is the Tobh I've found the Owl bf rda very good for flavor. I'm not really a cloud chaser but I do enjoy a dense vape. I think the Owl is very good in that respect. I am finding myself vaping on it over my Veritas, Tobh, and Marquis. I did drill/dremel the center post at the deck so it gets squonked back to the bottle. While I don't like the size or the looks of it, it's performance out ways it's negatives. Dual 26ga. kanthal at 7 wraps on 2.5mm mandrel and it's excellent. What do others think about it's performance, please chime in.

Last edited:

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll answer both questions...

The Owl RDA that comes with the Smokeless isn't bad. I prefer single to dual coil setups but the Owl really needs dual coils to deliver any flavor considering the airflow and large chamber. I'm using 6 wrap 28 gauge Kanthal dual coils with mine and I'd say its decent. More vapor at the cost of flavor IMHO.

I'm waiting on my Chalice III clones to arrive from the Netherlands or China, gearbest wasn't too clear where these ship from. I got the "its shipped" email along with a tracking number in a format I've never seen last Sunday. Their offered tracking option from my order page doesn't return anything. 17track can't decode it so doesn't work. They say that the carrier is America Line. Only info I can find is about a hundred year old shipping company so I don't know when it'll arrive.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll answer both questions...

The Owl RDA that comes with the Smokeless isn't bad. I prefer single to dual coil setups but the Owl really needs dual coils to deliver any flavor considering the airflow and large chamber. I'm using 6 wrap 28 gauge Kanthal dual coils with mine and I'd say its decent. More vapor at the cost of flavor IMHO.

I'm waiting on my Chalice III clones to arrive from the Netherlands or China, gearbest wasn't too clear where these ship from. I got the "its shipped" email along with a tracking number in a format I've never seen last Sunday. Their offered tracking option from my order page doesn't return anything. 17track can't decode it so doesn't work. They say that the carrier is America Line. Only info I can find is about a hundred year old shipping company so I don't know when it'll arrive.

I'm with you, chalice didn't ship for 10 days from gearbest, I contacted them and they said I choose wrong shipping option, so didn't bother telling me, just sat on it, I did get a tracking # for netherlands mail on the 5th and on 17track it just updated today too 'Origin Post is Preparing Shipment, We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.'

So have hope, it will come, just longer than normal it seems though, which sucks, as really wanting to try the chalice, I can't agree with you on the owl, I did dual coils, and the flavor was hardly there, I actually put the mod up till the zenith v2.5 turned up yesterday from fasttech, which is a lot better, but still wanting the chalice, as is meant more for flavor than anything.

eris667

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saw the Geyscano regulated 50W bottom feeders. Somewhat pricey at about $75. Not sure I'm willing to be the first in on that. I'm also underwhelmed with the design. Imagine a Chinese clone DNA box. Increase its width to hold a feed bottle. Looks inelegant to me.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/regulated-bottom-feeders-50w.62175/#post-487680
I picked up the Geyscano v2 as well, I really like it - but it is slightly larger and heavier than the Terminator / OWL
both Squonk well - and I got the green light from my wife to get the Cherry Bomber Squonker, so just waiting for a silver or black option (maybe a v2)

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I kept staring at the Cherry Bomber options focalecig offered. Really wanted to treat myself for my birthday and get one, but...

I mean, really, white and baby (or powder) blue as the only 2 color options? I decided to wait with a big sigh.

The angelcigs offering on the vw squonker is tempting considering it'll ship from USA instead of China were I to get it from focalecig but I do my best not to buy from angelcigs because of their crazy shipping costs. Very light items $4, heavy ones $10 for a cheap unpadded envelope sent at package rates, not even 1st class.

I'll have to look at what RDA options are good for a simple groove the center pin of the 510 connector mod. I have a few for my Reo Grand from a couple of years ago and never really cared for the results. With today's designs and rayon to wick I'd think I'll get much better results. Rayon haters feel free to read the last sentence as saying cotton wick. ;)

Is there a thread here similar to the old one on the Reo subforum of ECF but dealing with today's RDA models? Other than this one?

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Smokless owl with a modified darringer I just got a clone and drilled it out
193954c42d477120eaa6495a15f9c6c5.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

eris667

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Chalice III and Hobo v3 arrived this week - the Chalice is sooooooooooo tiny
Looking forward to building both - then I need to decide if I am drilling out my Dark Horse mini - which also arrived
I love VapeMail :cool::cool::cool:

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For those who wanted the silver Velocity from focalecig, it now comes with a bottom feeder pin. They're also offering it in a few colors. White and I've already forgotten the other 2, red and green perhaps.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My chalice will be here tomorrow from gearbest I ordered nearly a month ago, hope the wait is worth it, but this clone been getting mixed reviews, so my hopes are not to high for it.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Anyone order from folcalecig use the registered air mail shipping? In my excitement I forgot to pay the extra buck for tracking and e packet shipping: ( any idea how long till I get it the thing shipped Monday.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyone order from folcalecig use the registered air mail shipping? In my excitement I forgot to pay the extra buck for tracking and e packet shipping: ( any idea how long till I get it the thing shipped Monday.

Honestly I did the same once 3-4 weeks from China sadly...

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My chalice will be here tomorrow from gearbest I ordered nearly a month ago, hope the wait is worth it, but this clone been getting mixed reviews, so my hopes are not to high for it.
I ordered a pair, since I have 2 Reos, an original Grand (before there was a LP) and 14500 mini. They arrived today. Haven't built yet but I see I'll have to use a needle or perhaps the 1mm mandrel from my coiler to completely open the liquid channel in the 510 connector. Quite a bit of flash in the hole. I'd say at least halfway closed if not closer to 3/4. Otherwise it looks pretty acceptable to me. Just for grins I may try it out on the Smokeless just to compare it to the Owl.

eris667

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ordered a pair, since I have 2 Reos, an original Grand (before there was a LP) and 14500 mini. They arrived today. Haven't built yet but I see I'll have to use a needle or perhaps the 1mm mandrel from my coiler to completely open the liquid channel in the 510 connector. Quite a bit of flash in the hole. I'd say at least halfway closed if not closer to 3/4. Otherwise it looks pretty acceptable to me. Just for grins I may try it out on the Smokeless just to compare it to the Owl.

Can you explain or show pictures / links about the liquid channel? I am planning on building that and the Hobo this weekend :cool:

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Mine turned up, one post screw stripped, I did manage to get a build on it though, flavor pretty good, I knew this was going to be smaller, but damn it is tiny lol

Flavor pretty good, but probably going in the trash, as ohms moving around due to not being able to tighten down both legs, had to wrap it around the post on the one that is stripped.

Also it doesn't sit anywhere near flush on the smokeless owl, about 3-4mm gap, think I will stick with the zenith 2.5.

Not sure I am sold on this squonking, maybe it's just because I am trying with cheap crap :)

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can you explain or show pictures / links about the liquid channel? I am planning on building that and the Hobo this weekend :cool:
No need for pics for this. The 510 connector should have a hole through it top to bottom to let e-liquid flow into the atomizer to wet the wick and let the excess drain back into the bottle. Both of mine had an obvious obstruction, flash blocking the hole. Pushed the 1.5mm mandrel from my coiler through the hole to remove it.

Its a somewhat common problem with the Chinese made atomizers. There's no QC and each item is produced quickly, keeping price low but sometimes resulting in scraps getting left behind. Usually easy to remove. I have heard of occasions where the hole wasn't completely finished in which case nothing can easily correct that. It really makes sense to get in the habit of checking holes and threads on new Chinese products. If you catch a problem before you ever try a build you can often fix it easily.

eris667

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No need for pics for this. The 510 connector should have a hole through it top to bottom to let e-liquid flow into the atomizer to wet the wick and let the excess drain back into the bottle. Both of mine had an obvious obstruction, flash blocking the hole. Pushed the 1.5mm mandrel from my coiler through the hole to remove it.

Gotcha - I was thinking their was some fancy contraption I didn't understand on the inside LOL

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Honestly I did the same once 3-4 weeks from China sadly...
That sucks so bad I broke down and bought one from fast tech and now the ship date changes from the 17th to the 24th!! I can't win

pierces32

Member For 4 Years
Got my Hobo today, threw a quick dual 6 wrap 3mm, 26ga. kanthal build on it. On mine the air control ring when tightened all the way down doesn't line up with the best location for the coils. Also, it won't suck juice back stock, might can mod it by reducing the length of the pos screw, it sticks up through the deck about 2mm. Not bad, but nothing special either. BTW, the air control ring is threaded and is a pita to get unscrewed initially until you can get some juice lubed on it. Gonna have to try some different builds on this, now that it has broken in from a few hours of vaping it has gotten better, but not better than the Owl or Zenith, on par maybe. It does look a ton better though.

Last edited:

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
lol, Leo style huh? Guess China is learning not to use the actual product name. Definitely thinking about picking one up. It looks more comfortable with its rounded bottom corners than my real Reo Grand. Can't be too much of a RDA if there price difference between just the mod vs mod and RDA is $4. Then again it is only $4, so why not?

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One thing I noticed about that Leo style mod that concerns me. The information on it indicated a brass 510 pin ... I'm pretty sure they didn't use naval brass so juice coming into contact with that might be a problem.

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if ya decide to buy these ? head on over to reo mods and get reo grand positive tab too ,,the stock tab hole is too dam big and leaks
I don't understand how the diameter of the hole in the positive tab would cause leaking. It goes over the outside of the center post.

One thing I noticed about that Leo style mod that concerns me. The information on it indicated a brass 510 pin ... I'm pretty sure they didn't use naval brass so juice coming into contact with that might be a problem.

Exactly why I would never squonk through a Chinese mod. It's one thing to have your juice sitting around a brass post in an RDA, but to go up and down and back and forth from the bottle to the RDA, rubbing and agitating the surface of a cheap Chinese lead ridden brass squonk tube, is just a terrible idea.

Lead becomes a problem when the surface is rubbed/agitated to expose it. Squonking through this crap is the perfect storm for anybody concerned about lead contamination.

I wouldn't be vaping these things unless maybe that fatdaddy bottom feeding kit can somehow replace the 510's that come installed in these cheap mods.

I've seen the KUI (leo style? LMFAO) auto-fire if you put a button top in it on youtube. I also remember a dude shorting his because the firing leaf would swing back and forth and touch the back of the inside of the mod. No matter how tight he tried to get it down it would always swing around. And of course, most all are aware of the Cherry Bomber auto-fire scenario.

Just saying, use a bit of caution when jumping on these first few Chinese squonkers we are seeing pop up in the market. China ain't quite getting it right, yet. But I'm sure eventually it'll get better if people hawk at them enough in their respective request forums.

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Probably wouldn't hurt to add a warning about the Smokeless Owl that focalecig is offering. I know I've also seen it offered at FastTech although it may have had a different name. As delivered its an acceptable squonker as long as you realize that the wire used is too fine for safe sub-ohm use. You're most likely fine at 0.9 ohm, but don't try 0.5 ohm. Its easy enough to replace both wires with thicker wire if you really want 0.5 ohm vaping. Just keep in mind that its an inexpensive, plastic mod. Chain vaping at low sub-ohm could transfer enough heat from atomizer to mod to melt the body of the mod.

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like the Chalice III clones I've received. I'm used to building on 14-17mm atomizers since I have an A7 and mini A7 for the Reos which I don't much like and then I have a few Nemi, mini Nemesis, and build mini Kayfun and mini Foggers which I like the most. The Chalice is a much nicer RDA than either A7 and I've been enjoying it yesterday and today. Nothing fancy for the build, 28 gauge Kanthal a1 wire on a 3mm mandrel wicked with rayon; comes in around 1.2 ohm. About 1mm too large in diameter for the 14500 Reo Mini but should work on the current style minis. I really think it delivers more flavor and vapor from the same build as compared to the A7. I never bought any of the Reomizers so can't compare to those. Less airflow than the Smokeless and Owl but richer flavor with a denser vapor although much less in volume.

So for under $40 you could get a decent squonker setup of a clone Reo Grand and a clone Chalice III from focalecig. Don't expect clouds from the small flavor atty but its a tasty vape.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Smokless owl with a modified darringer I just got a clone and drilled it out
193954c42d477120eaa6495a15f9c6c5.jpg

Do you have and tutorials you followed to mod that Derringer?

Reactions: dre

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do you have and tutorials you followed to mod that Derringer?
Just drill down the center with a thin drill bit and by the base of the well straight through the sides. Very easy. I'm willing to trade mine for a bottle of the The Cloud Company E-Liquid - Arise in 3. I like my 14mm igo l way better for flavor.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just drill down the center with a thin drill bit and by the base of the well straight through the sides. Very easy. I'm willing to trade mine for a bottle of the The Cloud Company E-Liquid - Arise in 3. I like my 14mm igo l way better for flavor.

0edc3c922817fec94600422c70a67f0a.jpg

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

You mean like up through the 510 pin then at the top of the juice well (say top of middle airhole) through the center post post? Same size bit for both? What size did you use? Dad has a drill press so I'm confident I could do it.
I RARELY purchase pre made liquid but I'd gladly mix you a flavor to suit your tastes for it.

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Over on the old thread on ECF, a number of folks modded their atomizers by using the cutting wheel on their Dremel. Especially if the center pin of the 510 connector was a difficult to drill stainless steel. Just make a notch down the side. It really doesn't need to be a hole through the center, just a way to let the e-liquid through.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Over on the old thread on ECF, a number of folks modded their atomizers by using the cutting wheel on their Dremel. Especially if the center pin of the 510 connector was a difficult to drill stainless steel. Just make a notch down the side. It really doesn't need to be a hole through the center, just a way to let the e-liquid through.

Just to be clear, I want it near the top of the juice well to prevent flooding. I hear the Smokeless Owl atty it comes out the top and can cause leaking issues.
Also would say a 2mm bit work for both the 510 pin and the center post or should it be smaller, I don't want to say crack through the center post going up through it. Or should I go down through the screw hole

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you left juice behind, some that wasn't held by the wick, you'd be more likely to leak not less. The whole point of a squonker is that when you squeeze the bottle juice is fed into the atty for the wick to sop up then when you release the bottle suction draws all the excess juice back into the bottle. I don't have any flooding with the Smokeless and Owl combo although I use rayon which holds juice better than cotton.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just to be clear, I want it near the top of the juice well to prevent flooding. I hear the Smokeless Owl atty it comes out the top and can cause leaking issues.
Also would say a 2mm bit work for both the 510 pin and the center post or should it be smaller, I don't want to say crack through the center post going up through it. Or should I go down through the screw hole
I went straight down the screw hole just be careful not to Nick th threads. I believe the bit size was 1/16 you'll be fine with whatever size that is smaller than the hole where the grub screws go in.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors