Become a Patron!

Bought a better mod today, need help.

avyrus666

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I bought a Kangertech Topbox Nano kit. Real nice so far with the clapton coil at around 30W but I want to utilize some of the better features. I need more info on each coil. Approximately, the ideal wattage as well.

4347c251e9b635b527c8934c0ba1d2b9.jpg

1088e0421c527d32ff85216757c2d5e2.jpg

Each coil has a different colored ring around the base. One clearly says Clapton Coil the other two say 5K.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When it comes to the device, Youtube has a number of reviews/tutorials on the Topbox Nano kit. Each individual coil gives it's recommended wattage on the coil itself. The Ni200 coil and T1 coils you might have to experiment with different temps and watts until you find an enjoyable vape setting. Nice set up, BTW...:).

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ideal wattage is a subjective thing. The recommended ranges are typically given by the company, if not written into the coilhead. Take that lower limit as a baseline to start, from there work your way up till you enjoy it. You'll know the top end of the coil when you start to taste a burnt hit (burning taste/unpleasant heat). The top end is going to be dependent on not just the coilhead but also the juice you pick as different juices wick differently (even similar PG/VG blends will have different results). So don't take their upper limit to be fact, but explore it for yourself.

Vaping is a lot of trial and error, you need to explore it for yourself to find what you like most. I'm sure many on this forum if not most would find my personal best settings to be rubbish, and in both directions some finding it to be overwhelming some finding it to be underwhelming.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree. The rule is simple: start low and work up until you like it.

avyrus666

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice set up, BTW...:).

I didn't quite think so at first. My Herakles 0.6Ω tank/atomizer is surprisingly a beast on a eleaf tc40w. Of course, that's all the way up.

I'm running the 0.5Ω Clapton with a 20/80 blend (too many flavors) at 50W and it's a nice, smooth vape but my clouds aren't quite as big - in size and density. I guess more experimentation is in order...

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

avyrus666

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ideal wattage is a subjective thing. The recommended ranges are typically given by the company, if not written into the coilhead. Take that lower limit as a baseline to start, from there work your way up till you enjoy it. You'll know the top end of the coil when you start to taste a burnt hit (burning taste/unpleasant heat). The top end is going to be dependent on not just the coilhead but also the juice you pick as different juices wick differently (even similar PG/VG blends will have different results). So don't take their upper limit to be fact, but explore it for yourself.

Vaping is a lot of trial and error, you need to explore it for yourself to find what you like most. I'm sure many on this forum if not most would find my personal best settings to be rubbish, and in both directions some finding it to be overwhelming some finding it to be underwhelming.
There is nothing really there about which "5k" coil is which and the wattage isn't printed there either. I'm eager to try the new TC mode - which in my last mod I couldn't use since I used a Herakles Sub-Ohm tank.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is nothing really there about which "5k" coil is which and the wattage isn't printed there either. I'm eager to try the new TC mode - which in my last mod I couldn't use since I used a Herakles Sub-Ohm tank.

Quick little search had me going to vaporDNAs page and they had this on it:
SSOCC and Clapton Coil Configurations
  • SSOCC 0.15 ohm
    • Temperature Control
  • SSOCC 1.5 ohm
    • 10 to 26W
  • Clapton 0.5 ohm
    • 15 to 70W

avyrus666

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Quick little search had me going to vaporDNAs page and they had this on it:

Okay, that helps a bit. So I'll need the blue-ringed coil for TC. Gotcha.

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
As a tip for TC vaping. When your coil is cool and at room temperature... go into your box settings and lock the resistance of the coil. This will stop your coil from reading at different resistances when it heats up and allow the coil to be heated the same everytime. If its reading it at a different resistance it will heat the coil differently. Not 100% sure the topbox has that feature but most TC mods do nowadays. Grats on the new setup!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

The 5K is the marker, for which factory manufactured that coil. The resistance and recommended wattage should be on the opposite side.

The coil with the blue o-ring 0.15ohm is usually ni200 and can ONLY be used in tc, I burn mine at 500* on my Kanger topbox mini. The red ring is 316 stainless steel and can be used either in tc or variable wattage, can't remember what settings I used. The Clapton can only be used in wattage and mine worked well at 37w. Unfortunately I don't believe you can lock your resistance on the Kanger. My husband has a nano and really likes it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors