Become a Patron!

Brand new vaper, long time smoker. HELP!

Brand new here, guys, so thanks in advance for your patience and help. I've been lurking through the forums for a couple days now and haven't found the answers in a way I understand as I run different equipment, so sorry if this is redundant and long. I'll try to break it up.

Anyway, now that courtesy has been handled, I've been smoking 1-2 packs a day for a good 19 years. I'm done, ready to quit for real, but cold turkey isn't an option for myriad reasons, not the least of which being that my job is high stress and murder is illegal. I didn't like the pills, and hated the patch/gum, so here I am.

After a brief consultation with a guy in a local shop, I left with a Cloupor mini, 30W and a kanger subtank nano (I've since picked up a mini. I just hated refilling 2-3 times a day. It coming with an RDA raises even more questions). It'll run .5-3 ohms and 7-30 watts.

I started with 12mg nic in a tobacco flavored juice 2 weeks ago, with the .5 ohm coil, and am now using a dessert flavored 6mg with the included 1.2.

I'm not a cloud chaser. I'm vaping because I want to quit smoking. I take primarily mouth to throat hits, but occasionally do go straight to the lungs. I'd say it's 65-35 mouth to throat vs lung hits right now. Since the throat hit is what I crave beyond the nicotine, I'm trying to ramp that down along with the nic, so I'm trying to take more lung hits as time goes on. I haven't had an actual cigarette in 13 days, though it's taken a bit of willpower on occasion.

So that's what I've got, my goals, and what I'm currently using. On to the questions

All anyone will tell me is that "it's personal preference" when I ask these questions, so I'm hoping for a little more explanation.

What are the benefits/costs of running a 1.2 vs a .5, and what wattage does each coil like? All I've been told is "the .5 is gonna give you a bigger cloud" and that's it.

Also, I've been running through juice a lot quicker with the 1.2 than I was with the .5, is that because it's just a different juice from a different manufacturer, or is that because I've been running the same wattage for both coils, for the most part?

As for the RDA. Why would I want to fool with it? Does it last longer, shorter, or about the same as the OCC?

Sorry for the long post, I tried to be thorough. Thanks for the help!

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not an expert but I can help with the basics. First CONGRATS on going 13 days without a smoke. The first couple weeks are the hardest.

You have excellent gear for a new Vaper. (One thing to note, do not charge your Clouper Mini with the USB Port there have been a couple incidents of them melting down)

Concerning the coils:

Lower Ohm Coils make more vapor, Since they make more vapor they tend to use more juice. Your case is unusual that you are going through more juice with the 1.2 ohm coil compared to the 0.5 ohm. Maybe you are just vaping more with the 1.2 coil?

Most people run lower ohm coils at higher watts. I run my Subtank Mini with the 1.2 ohm coil at 15 to 17 watts. You can run the Subtank Mini with the 0.5ohm coil at 20 + watts. If you try to run the 1.2 ohm coil at 20+ watts it will burn up quickly. As for my preference, I prefer the 1.2 ohm coil at 15 watts. I find the vape I get from the 0.5 ohm coil is too much vapor and too warm for me. I am probably in the minority with my preference for the 1.2 ohm coil.

When you use lower ohm coils you usually have to lower the nicotine level in your juice. 12mg Nic Juice with the 0.5 ohm coil with be REALLY strong. I use 12mg juice with the 1.2ohm coil. Most people who use 0.5 ohm coils use 6mg or lower juice.

The RDA is a re-buildable coil. People build them for fun and to save a few bucks. I personally have not touched the RDA that came with my Subtank Mini. I'm too lazy :D

I'm sure more experienced vapers will chime in with soon.

Good Luck!!!!!

Last edited:
Ok, I was running the .5 at 22w, cranking it up to as high as 27 when drinking just to increase the throat hit. I've been running the 1.2 at the same, which would explain everything. Why don't these shop guys explain things?

When you say don't charge with USB, you mean in a computer, yeah? I ended up with the Cloupor because I specifically asked for a rig with headroom (so I can fool with it) that charges with micro USB, so I can plug it into the wall charger for my car that i already have at my desk while I'm at work.

Yeah, I figure I'm too lazy for the RDA as well, but if someone can sell me on its worth, I'd fool with it.

Thank you for the help!

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Welcome to VU! I tell people that my ecig keeps me from getting stabby; they think I'm joking o_O

Congrats on day 13! It gets easier after the 2 week mark.

When people lower their ohms, they usually raise their watts. Lower ohms (with the higher watts) tends to burn through more juice, and gives you bigger clouds (because you're burning through more juice). People also tend to lower their nic level when they use lower ohms, because of getting a harder/bigger hit (you're doing more volume per draw so less nic required). If you're not a cloud chaser, then imho choice of ohms would pretty come down to whether or not you want bigger hits. The different ohms and the number of winds on your coil will also affect the flavor, but. .

I'm currently using 0.8 ohms on my RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer). Most people use lower than that on their RDAs. Drippers tend to go through more juice than tanks because of lower ohms and because they typically have higher air flow, which makes bigger hits easier. I like my RDA when I'm sitting around the house. When I'm on the go (in car, etc) the tank is the way to go. Dripping and driving can be hazardous and I've burned through many a wick when I knew I needed to drip some more but couldnt because of driving and thinking to myself, "surely I can get just a tiny hit out of it without burning the wick"

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
22 to 27 watts is perfectly fine with the 0.5ohm coil, but it is a bit too high for the 1.2 ohm coil. Kanger says you can run the 1.2 ohm coil up to 25 watts, IMHO that is BS. Most people keep it under 20 watts. The highest I ever go is 17 watts.

As for your Clouper Mini I would not charge it EVER with the USB port. The guy at your vape shop may not have been aware that several of the Clouper Minis have literally melted when being charged with the USB port. There is a thread here about it, I will try to find the link for you.

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
13 days without any casualties, congrats and welcome to VU :)

bloosman1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome, I am currently @ 0.6 ohms, 16.7 watts and getting a nice throat hit with 15mg e-juice. congrats on getting rid of analogs! I love the flavors that are available!

drackeo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
PHYSICS EXPLANATION: Well the lower in Ohms you go, the hotter your vapor is. This happens because more current is able to pass through the coil causing it to heat up much faster and keep heating up longer causing it to get much hotter as well. Causing a more efficient way to vaporize substances such as E-Juice, but that causes you to go through more material. Basically it all has to do with more wattage through a lower resistance wire the hotter it gets.

People like this because, as has already been mentioned to you, because they get them big clouds. But also because it gives them a hotter vape. The keyword being hotter. Usually the hotter the vape the more flavorful the vape, which is why were seeing a lot of Temp Control mods sprouting up. They can get that hot vape there after.

Also with more vapor you can get significantly more Nic to your body. If your vaping at a higher Nic content like lets say, 24mg or something like that, it will feel to your body that your getting a little more then twice as much Nic for a cloud thats twice as big. Less hits to get your Nic fix.

But yah sorry for going a little bit sciency on you but i hope i answered your question in detail. As for the RBA section... I just use mine so im not dependent on buying more Coil heads every month or so. 1 head for me lasts about a week and half usually, sometime just over 2. But if you build your own with the RBA deck then you can get like 30ft of A1 kanthal or what ever and some cotton for the same price as a 5 pack of coils and have it last you much longer. Personally i can stretch 30ft of kanthal into like 2 months worth of coils for my Subtank Mini and Velocity RDA.

thejman

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm done, ready to quit for real, but cold turkey isn't an option for myriad reasons, not the least of which being that my job is high stress and murder is illegal.

To start off.. LOL!! couldn't agree with you more.

I'm not sure about your tank but for my kangeter subtank the less airflow the rougher it gets which is normally what I look for. That little scratch on your throat cigarettes give you. Also I prefer mouth to lung and less airflow helps that. So try minimizing the air flow on your tank. The ohms I don't think helps in terms of throat hit. It's just an easier and warmer vape. I also heard that a little more PG helps.

Good job on the 13 days btw.

Brand new here, guys, so thanks in advance for your patience and help. I've been lurking through the forums for a couple days now and haven't found the answers in a way I understand as I run different equipment, so sorry if this is redundant and long. I'll try to break it up.

Anyway, now that courtesy has been handled, I've been smoking 1-2 packs a day for a good 19 years. I'm done, ready to quit for real, but cold turkey isn't an option for myriad reasons, not the least of which being that my job is high stress and murder is illegal. I didn't like the pills, and hated the patch/gum, so here I am.

After a brief consultation with a guy in a local shop, I left with a Cloupor mini, 30W and a kanger subtank nano (I've since picked up a mini. I just hated refilling 2-3 times a day. It coming with an RDA raises even more questions). It'll run .5-3 ohms and 7-30 watts.

I started with 12mg nic in a tobacco flavored juice 2 weeks ago, with the .5 ohm coil, and am now using a dessert flavored 6mg with the included 1.2.

I'm not a cloud chaser. I'm vaping because I want to quit smoking. I take primarily mouth to throat hits, but occasionally do go straight to the lungs. I'd say it's 65-35 mouth to throat vs lung hits right now. Since the throat hit is what I crave beyond the nicotine, I'm trying to ramp that down along with the nic, so I'm trying to take more lung hits as time goes on. I haven't had an actual cigarette in 13 days, though it's taken a bit of willpower on occasion.

So that's what I've got, my goals, and what I'm currently using. On to the questions

All anyone will tell me is that "it's personal preference" when I ask these questions, so I'm hoping for a little more explanation.

What are the benefits/costs of running a 1.2 vs a .5, and what wattage does each coil like? All I've been told is "the .5 is gonna give you a bigger cloud" and that's it.

Also, I've been running through juice a lot quicker with the 1.2 than I was with the .5, is that because it's just a different juice from a different manufacturer, or is that because I've been running the same wattage for both coils, for the most part?

As for the RDA. Why would I want to fool with it? Does it last longer, shorter, or about the same as the OCC?

I use a 100 watt Eleaf I stick,with a Starre FreeMax Tank and a 0.25 Ohm double vertical coil.And I run it at 55 watts. And its perfect. I'm not exactly after the cloud thing, Just flavor at the right temperature. I also smoked for about 20 years at about a pack and a half a day. But what I'm running, Is perfect. It keeps me off the ciggs.And that's all I want.I really wished I had just gotten the 60 watt I stick.I really don't need a hundred watts.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use high nic, high PG, high ohms- my preference is in the 2 ohm range, and get fantastic flavor and throat hit at around 7 watts. There are far more factors which go into a satisfying vape than just throwing power at a low resistance coil. My setups are quite conservative in regards to battery and coil life and e-liquid consumption. I'm not in it for clouds, however...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Congrats

congrats on quitting!!!
And yes it is personal preference that much is true. But you're asking the why and results, to which again will give you varrying answers.
For one, with the 1.2 ohm coil, if you shut the airflow way down you should be able to fire that around 12-15w and reduce your juice consumption.
With the rba base, ill let other address since I've never used one. I will say that the flavor from the base vs the premade coil will only vary because of wicking material. But if you want to really decrease your juice consumption and get a vape closer to a cigarette style, you may want to try an aspire nautiuls mini. There is no rba deck yet, but it typically runs between 9 and 12w, and is touted by some of the capers who prefer lower power as a great choice. The gsair from eleaf is another one I've heard alot of people like. The subtank mini is geared more towards a different style of vaping.

Moniker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I vape 12mg at .5 ohm while firing at 25-35w high vg. Hardcore addict used to smoke a pack a day so if your just coming off its not terribly crazy just lay off if you start to get light headed or sick.

VU Sponsors