Brassy taste

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So my old trustee brass Goon, which I got right away when they were first released by 528Custom back in 2016, now has a brassy taste that it never had during a couple of years of use.

Set it aside for about a year, and it tastes brassy - any suggestions how to make that go away, short of tracking down a new deck?

It is likely oxidized, as I neglected to clean it before I stopped using it :(

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The base is also brass - it was made with that higher grade brass (navy brass maybe?) that wasn't supposed to put off any taste, and it didn't for a long time

Brass Goon.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm no metallurgist, but yeah, naval brass is supposed to be able to withstand corrosion for years.

Is it built the same as you used to build it? Like coil placement especially. I'm thinking maybe the coils are too close to the well or something? Kinda groping around in the dark here.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm no metallurgist, but yeah, naval brass is supposed to be able to withstand corrosion for years.

Is it built the same as you used to build it? Like coil placement especially. I'm thinking maybe the coils are too close to the well or something? Kinda groping around in the dark here.

Me too, lol

I'll soak the base in dish soap overnight instead of the usual rinse and see what happens

The top has got a great patina that matches the brass CV it's gone with since I got the CV and I'd hate to lose that

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure there is, am hoping some savy brass lover will save the day, so I don't have to dick around with remedies for the next few weeks, hahaha

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Somebody around here has abuncha brass stuff. I can't remember who now though.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Clean: Total break down, scrub the insulator area.

Replace the BF pin: if you did what many of us did with the goon, we got the Chinese pin, If you got the SS one good, clean it including the hole...boil or use denture cleaner...more on this..

Denture cleaner tabs: this stuff is awesome, those lil bubbles work great. Never used on brass though, SS sure, I’d test on some other brass item, but I can’t see it doing any damage.

Replace your O-Rings, although they are NBR rubber and resist contamination, they are permeable somewhat and can hold on flavors, including the nasty ones.

Ultrasonic/boil...insulators are solid to 650f so rolling boil not going to hurt them, can’t say for delrin drip tips though.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Clean: Total break down, scrub the insulator area.

Replace the BF pin: if you did what many of us did with the goon, we got the Chinese pin, If you got the SS one good, clean it including the hole...boil or use denture cleaner...more on this..

Denture cleaner tabs: this stuff is awesome, those lil bubbles work great. Never used on brass though, SS sure, I’d test on some other brass item, but I can’t see it doing any damage.

Replace your O-Rings, although they are NBR rubber and resist contamination, they are permeable somewhat and can hold on flavors, including the nasty ones.

Ultrasonic/boil...insulators are solid to 650f so rolling boil not going to hurt them, can’t say for delrin drip tips though.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Fat Daddy pin, this is an oldie

The deck is soaking now, will give it a good scrub in the morning. Will boil the sleeve and deck, replace the orings for sure, see what happens

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Juice...if it doesn't work out I'll send a titanium or stainless your way....think I have about 10 of um I no longer use.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Scrubbing it out is the best way to get it sorted (IMO). If you want to keep the patina you can get some painters tape and mask off the outer areas but you will want to use some Homewood Metal Polish or Wrights Polish on the inside and inside of the deck and pin. A small piece of sponge and some of either of those two cleaners will fix you up.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Scrubbing it out is the best way to get it sorted (IMO). If you want to keep the patina you can get some painters tape and mask off the outer areas but you will want to use some Homewood Metal Polish or Wrights Polish on the inside and inside of the deck and pin. A small piece of sponge and some of either of those two cleaners will fix you up.

Thanks, we have some Wrights and I need to polish some silver also, might make a day of it

Just got word the power is going to be out at my house all day tomorrow and I gotta work later today so this might take some time to get around to doing

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You have to remove the tarnish on interior surfaces. Soap and water won’t do it. Need something with ammonia to remove tarnish from brass.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Thanks, we have some Wrights and I need to polish some silver also, might make a day of it

Just got word the power is going to be out at my house all day tomorrow and I gotta work later today so this might take some time to get around to doing

Well, that sucks. I dont mind if it takes you a while to get to it. ;) Tape with silicon adhesive if you have any.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It took me a couple of weeks rather than a couple of days to get it all done, but I broke her down, soaked the parts in 90% isopropyl, then scrubbed the deck, etc. with Wrights, rewashed with Dawn, rinsed the other parts and changed all the orings

Back to it's old Goony goodness without a hint of brass taste - thanks for all the advice guys :banana:

Brassy vapes again.jpg

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
It took me a couple of weeks rather than a couple of days to get it all done, but I broke her down, soaked the parts in 90% isopropyl, then scrubbed the deck, etc. with Wrights, rewashed with Dawn, rinsed the other parts and changed all the orings

Back to it's old Goony goodness without a hint of brass taste - thanks for all the advice guys :banana:

View attachment 139582

Not to ignore the victory over metal, but that spalted burl is nice to look at.

VU Sponsors