Become a Patron!

Broken screw on authentic El Diablo Satan series box mod

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
I broke one of the plastic screws on the bottom of my El Diablo Satan awhile ago like a dummy, and I've been searching for a fix ever since. I'd love to get this thing going again, but El Diablo themselves won't help at all, they won't even tell me the thread sizing lol. I probably won't be buying El Diablo again if they can't put in the tiny effort to tell me the thread and screw sizing...

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a suitable replacement, doesn't have to be perfect, could be metal or whatever, I just want to use this mod again. :\ I've tried looking for a clone mod to maybe scrap parts from but I don't know if those exist, I couldn't find any on Google. If someone somehow has a screw that fits, I'd love you forever if you sold it to me.

The screws I'm talking about are shown by Bogan here, at around 14:20 and on:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I broke one of the plastic screws on the bottom of my El Diablo Satan awhile ago like a dummy, and I've been searching for a fix ever since. I'd love to get this thing going again, but El Diablo themselves won't help at all, they won't even tell me the thread sizing lol. I probably won't be buying El Diablo again if they can't put in the tiny effort to tell me the thread and screw sizing...

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a suitable replacement, doesn't have to be perfect, could be metal or whatever, I just want to use this mod again. :\ I've tried looking for a clone mod to maybe scrap parts from but I don't know if those exist, I couldn't find any on Google. If someone somehow has a screw that fits, I'd love you forever if you sold it to me.

The screws I'm talking about are shown by Bogan here, at around 14:20 and on:

I'd try finding a screw on R/C Model sites. They usually have a lot of spare parts. That's where I get parts for my R/C Helicopters, including screws.

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
I'd try finding a screw on R/C Model sites. They usually have a lot of spare parts. That's where I get parts for my R/C Helicopters, including screws.

Oh dang, good tip actually. Bet they'd have alot of small plastic and metal screws. I was also going to head to an electrical supply shop today and show them the one good screw, see if they had anything that would fit. No hardware stores I went to had a screw with threading that small.

Thanks for the input. :)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh dang, good tip actually. Bet they'd have alot of small plastic and metal screws. I was also going to head to an electrical supply shop today and show them the one good screw, see if they had anything that would fit. No hardware stores I went to had a screw with threading that small.

Thanks for the input. :)
All of the screws on my Helis are metal. However, they are 1M to 3M screws (depending on the size of the Heli). In addition, some of the screws are designed to screw into a plastic frame. They look similar to a screw, you'd use for wood.
See https://www.heli-nation.com/search/?q=Screws

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
Electrical supply shop was a no-go, they said they didn't have anything close to that small of a thread. I've been browsing RC shops and things but I honestly have no idea on the threading - it's too small for me to even measure, looks like 1/10th of a millimetre.. wish the El Diablo lady would tell me the thread sizing. :\ Honestly not sure why the mod didn't come with 1 or 2 extra screws, especially on a reasonably high end box mod and because the screws are so delicate.

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
Just a little update, I got the box working again. Ghetto, but fully functional. Still wish I had a screw, but that looks like it's going to be a long time. Definitely think it's the last time I purchase an El Diablo mod because of the crappy support, unfortunately. :\

If anyone else busts a screw and is reading this thread in the future, what I did was wind 2 new springs for the bottom plate out of 22ga kanthal, about like 6 wraps around a 4mm ID coiling rod, then snipped down to about 4 wraps to fit. They're slightly too tall, which pushes the plate up a bit extra to compensate for the side that is missing a screw, but it still has some spring action to it. I screwed in my remaining screw, and filled the hole on the other side with poster hanging putty stuff, just to hopefully give it some more support and take some pressure off of the remaining screw. Not sure what else might work better for that that isn't permanent like epoxy. The one remaining screw doesn't seem very stressed as it is though.

Working flawlessly for like 36 hours so far, slightly more pressure on the batteries but nothing serious enough to rub the battery wraps as long as you loosen the button and 510 before sliding the bottom plate off.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone ever has a screw they want to pass onto me or finds the thread sizing.. I'll still love you forever. :D

houndb

Member For 4 Years
Believe it or not you might want to try a Lowe’s if you have any around you. They have a ton of screws. I was in looking for a different screw and found that they had two drawers full of plastic/nylon screws.
I had a mod that took plastic screws and lost one. I just tossed it into the junk drawer because I couldn’t find a replacement screw. The screws were too long but I cut it down and viola mod was back in business.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i had a problem with my satan box too. i think it was the battery door. the contacts on mine were totally flat, and looked different from the ones in the video i watched (convicted vapes). i mailed dragons den, asking to buy a new door, and a new button (just in case), and he told me 'a couple weeks' it would be in. we did that for nine months. finally, he tells me the parts are in (along with about $300 in other stuff i wanted), so i told him i would take it all (i am 'international' so he has to send me a paypal invoice manually via email, instead of me using the shopping cart at the site). he didnt answer me or send the invoice. i mailed him 'ill take it all' again about 5 days later and he says 'sold out' on everything on my order.

el diablo didnt even contact me in any way, no matter how i reached out to them. i was a big fan of both companies before this ordeal, havnt had anything to do with either of them since :mad:

glad you fixed yours tho :cheers: im not sure what i did with mine, i was really mad when he mailed me and told me the stuff was sold out and i may have thrown the whole thing out. my screws were also in pretty tough shape after the hours and multitude of people who tried to get mine working (i took it to all the local shops and everyone took a crack at getting it to fire). if i can find it you can have it. maybe ill try to find a used one on the forums here. i really wanted that box, managed to buy one (they only did two batches from what i recall) and still have never had a puff from one :sad:

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
Believe it or not you might want to try a Lowe’s if you have any around you. They have a ton of screws. I was in looking for a different screw and found that they had two drawers full of plastic/nylon screws.
I had a mod that took plastic screws and lost one. I just tossed it into the junk drawer because I couldn’t find a replacement screw. The screws were too long but I cut it down and viola mod was back in business.

Thanks for the tip, I might take another trip down to a different hardware store then. I thiiink we have a Lowe's here, and a Home Depot maybe. And yeah, that's what I was shooting for.. just the right width and threads and I could chop it down to fit. Honestly I'd try a metal screw too, but the mod might fire if I put it down on a metal table, not sure.

i had a problem with my satan box too. i think it was the battery door. the contacts on mine were totally flat, and looked different from the ones in the video i watched (convicted vapes). i mailed dragons den, asking to buy a new door, and a new button (just in case), and he told me 'a couple weeks' it would be in. we did that for nine months. finally, he tells me the parts are in (along with about $300 in other stuff i wanted), so i told him i would take it all (i am 'international' so he has to send me a paypal invoice manually via email, instead of me using the shopping cart at the site). he didnt answer me or send the invoice. i mailed him 'ill take it all' again about 5 days later and he says 'sold out' on everything on my order.

el diablo didnt even contact me in any way, no matter how i reached out to them. i was a big fan of both companies before this ordeal, havnt had anything to do with either of them since :mad:

glad you fixed yours tho :cheers: im not sure what i did with mine, i was really mad when he mailed me and told me the stuff was sold out and i may have thrown the whole thing out. my screws were also in pretty tough shape after the hours and multitude of people who tried to get mine working (i took it to all the local shops and everyone took a crack at getting it to fire). if i can find it you can have it. maybe ill try to find a used one on the forums here. i really wanted that box, managed to buy one (they only did two batches from what i recall) and still have never had a puff from one :sad:

MAN, if you were willing to pass it on to me I'd be forever grateful. I share a lot of your feelings too, I've had this thing since the beginning of summer and it's the first time I've gotten to fire it like 6 months later lol.. If this mod had been a better experience, I totally would have looked for more El Diablo gear.

That sucks about Dragon's Den, I've always heard good things about them. I did shoot him an e-mail like a week ago asking him if he had any info or spare parts and he never replied to me. I DID speak to someone from El Diablo, but they helped me in zero ways. The first time was a few months ago, and she told me they'd have to custom machine the parts and then charge $60 in shipping... at that point I'd might as well just buy a new mod right lol? I messaged again like a week and a half ago, and she told me they have no parts at all. Ignored my questions about screw and thread sizing which I asked twice. If you want to take a shot at talking to them, you go to El Diablo's Facebook page and message them there, and they will tell you to talk to another random lady on Facebook.. yeah, they suck and I won't be supporting them again.

That's also kinda fucked up you bought a like $120 mod and got a non-functional one with bad parts.. and neither company would own up to it, basically stole your money. :\

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i had sent el diablo a message every week or two for about 9 months thru their facebook and never even got a 'fuck off' from them. i gave up when dragons den 'sold out'. i figure the lack of response from either of them means there are no/will not be any replacement parts for that box.

yeah im not too happy about the situation. i was in love with dragons den for their sales service. i had nothing but the best treatment until this happened. i dunno why it happened the way it did, im sure there are reasons and its not a matter of them saying 'hey lets fuck this guy who keeps sending us hundreds of dollars'....but i wont bother again if this is what happens when something goes wrong. fasttech treats me better than this ffs.

i would still like to get one, but even paying for a used one feels bad because i already paid full price and still have nothing to show for it :headbang:

ill try to have a look around for mine tomorrow (just about to go out for the night). i moved last summer, and the last time i recall seeing it was at my old house. there is a good chance i literally threw the whole thing in the trash during the move...

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
i had sent el diablo a message every week or two for about 9 months thru their facebook and never even got a 'fuck off' from them. i gave up when dragons den 'sold out'. i figure the lack of response from either of them means there are no/will not be any replacement parts for that box.

yeah im not too happy about the situation. i was in love with dragons den for their sales service. i had nothing but the best treatment until this happened. i dunno why it happened the way it did, im sure there are reasons and its not a matter of them saying 'hey lets fuck this guy who keeps sending us hundreds of dollars'....but i wont bother again if this is what happens when something goes wrong. fasttech treats me better than this ffs.

i would still like to get one, but even paying for a used one feels bad because i already paid full price and still have nothing to show for it :headbang:

ill try to have a look around for mine tomorrow (just about to go out for the night). i moved last summer, and the last time i recall seeing it was at my old house. there is a good chance i literally threw the whole thing in the trash during the move...

Yeah I can totally understand that pain, I spent a fair bit on mine and I have a ghetto beater mod to show for it. xD Good point btw, FT CS is great. El Diablo gives me one sentence then ignores me.

If you do find it and want to pass it on, I'd be more than happy (ecstatic, actually) to send you a red Mad Dog RDA and a few bucks in return, or something else you might enjoy, I'm sure I can find something. My wallet is sad after Christmas.

HAPPY NEW YEAR BTW! Quiet night in for me tonight, sipping on Bailey's and ice for the night with my girlfriend. Enjoy your night out man!

VU Sponsors