Become a Patron!

Build advice

I am brand new to vaping and have never built anything, just used a Kangertech subox with stock atomizer.

I ordered a Evic VTC mini and am having trouble deciding what tank to use with it. I ordered the kit (w/ Ego One Mega) because I like that I can buy the premade Cl-ti coils with it. However the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards learning to build my own titanium coils as I have heard the stock ones are crap.

I was considering buying the CLR heads for it and using Spider Silk with them and just following a guide online on how to do it...is this a bad idea for someone just getting started?
Is the Subtank a better choice and then using Spider silk wire on the RBA that comes with it?

Also I wanted to know if I can use the Spider silk with the regular CLR heads or if I need to buy the CLR-ti heads specifically?

Last edited:

TimB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have not used Spider silk only Sweetspot ti wire. The CLR-ti heads are good been using mine for over 3 weeks no problem just rewick it.I build on drippers and still trying to figure ti out. Just getting started I would just buy the heads this wire is expensive to play around with.The CLR-ti heads have gold posts on the bottom the regular ones don't .They say it's for better connectivity but who knows, sounds good but could just be a selling point.. Kanger Ni200 coils are ok too you already have the tank.imho

I have not used Spider silk only Sweetspot ti wire. The CLR-ti heads are good been using mine for over 3 weeks no problem just rewick it.I build on drippers and still trying to figure ti out. Just getting started I would just buy the heads this wire is expensive to play around with.The CLR-ti heads have gold posts on the bottom the regular ones don't .They say it's for better connectivity but who knows, sounds good but could just be a selling point.. Kanger Ni200 coils are ok too you already have the tank.imho

Do you do anything to the coil before changing the cotton like dry burn it? I have heard that with Titanium wire you shouldn't do that.

TimB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you do anything to the coil before changing the cotton like dry burn it? I have heard that with Titanium wire you shouldn't do that.
Yes do not dry burn ti wire or get the coil red hot. I have the watts low like 7-10 watts get them warm and rinse them with water.If the coils get to hot and turn white they are dong ,throw them away.Start out with Ni200 ( tempered ) first and after you are good with that then try building with ti wire imho.

Yes do not dry burn ti wire or get the coil red hot. I have the watts low like 7-10 watts get them warm and rinse them with water.If the coils get to hot and turn white they are dong ,throw them away.Start out with Ni200 ( tempered ) first and after you are good with that then try building with ti wire imho.

Why do you suggest starting with Nickel first? I was leaning towards Titanium because I prefer lower temperatures, and I also believe it's safer then Nickel. I have also heard many people state they didn't like the flavor or lifespan of Ni coils.

I was planning to buy the Coil Master DIY kit and use it to practice on the CLR coils with the included Kanthal, and once I get the hang of it buy a RBA like the Cthulhu V2 with Spider Silk.

Last edited:

TimB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One because it cost less to play around with if you are not experienced building coils. Titanium is a hot vape compared to Ni200 and you can control heat with your mod. As far as safer goes there is talk about Titanium dioxide that can be produced with ti wire....A coil master is fine you will still have to space the coils.Try some of the pre made coils to see what you like best.

What's the best way to space the Ti coils? I've seen people on youtube using the coil master and just spacing by hand but it looks like the spacing is not even, still they got it to work.

TimB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What's the best way to space the Ti coils? I've seen people on youtube using the coil master and just spacing by hand but it looks like the spacing is not even, still they got it to work.
That's it pull them apart and then push them together until they are even. It works you just do it until you are happy with it.You can use a machine screw that also works.As long as they don't touch that's what's important.

TimB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok I tried this tonight on a ti build.I removed the rda rinsed it under hot water and used an old toothbrush on the coils .They came clean let them air dry and rewicked , worked like a champ. No dry burn.

Ok I tried this tonight on a ti build.I removed the rda rinsed it under hot water and used an old toothbrush on the coils .They came clean let them air dry and rewicked , worked like a champ. No dry burn.

Nice. Can't wait to get my Evic Mini.

VU Sponsors