Become a Patron!

Build safety

DeepInTheAbyss

Member For 1 Year
Sooo, I'm using a rx gen3 with 3 lg h2 batteries. I put a parallel kanthal 4 wrap build in my rda, which is a wotofo lush plus. The ohms are .11, and I'm trying to run it between 120-200 watts consistently. I went to an ohm calculator to check it out, and it SAYS at 200 watts the amps are 44. My batteries are 20 amps each, so wouldnt that make a 60 amp limit? I'm just wondering because I saw this other post that said that there is other math to be done on the regulated side. Is that build even appropriate for that amount of wattage? And beyond that, is it safe as well?

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With 3 batteries it should be safe. Usually when calculating maximum amp draw on multiple batteries you take the full amp draw for the 1st one then half of each additional battery for safety. That's usually just a starting point though, as you become more accustomed to battery safety and battery operating temperatures you should be able to push that limit a bit further out.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
UM NOPE

first off your mod is in series which means you add the voltage together not the mah or the maps
You batteries can supply 20 amps period in that mod

BUT you are using the wrong formula for your amps
Ohms law is for mech mods not regulated mods
For regulated mods the batteries are not directly supplying the atty. The batteries are powering a regulator which in turn powers the atty
SO you use something commonly referred to as Watts law.
Watts/Volts/efficiency of mod

SO at 200 watts you divide by the lowest voltage your batteries will be supplying. In a 3 battery configuration that is usually about 9.6 but could be a hair lower like 9.4 or even 9. I do not know the cut off for your mod but most stop at 3.2V per cell

SO 200/9.6 is 20.833
now divide by the efficiency of the mod. Unless you know from the manufacturer just assume 90%
so 20.833/.9 = 23.15ish This is the most amps the regulator will draw from the batteries.

Now at full charge the batteries are at 12.6 so then its 200/12.6/.9= 17.63ishamps

So You are fine using brand name batteries rated for 20 amps in general

DeepInTheAbyss

Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replies guys. Ive been vaping for a total of 2 years, took a 1 year break off of all substances. Ive been building for a while but the truth is, on regulated mods I always build singles or parallel builds, and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing beyond that. Is there any builds you could recommend that would fall between .1-.2 that can handle 200 watts with great flavor and durability?

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm yet to use that much power for a coil myself. I tend to stick around 100-125w with most of my coils. Hopefully someone else can chime in with better builds but I find a set of staggered fused claptons stand up to higher wattages quite well.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Know ohms law, and vape safely...
I highly suggest to vape in the safe parameters of your batteries...
good luck!

Nice one mattp169

I BAM

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the replies guys. Ive been vaping for a total of 2 years, took a 1 year break off of all substances. Ive been building for a while but the truth is, on regulated mods I always build singles or parallel builds, and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing beyond that. Is there any builds you could recommend that would fall between .1-.2 that can handle 200 watts with great flavor and durability?

You don’t get flavor with 200 watts!
You get HEAT, SPITBACKS, Dry hits, FIRE ,that’s what you get with 200 watts!

Been vaping on the same type of coils for almost 2 years now..
SS316l FUSED CLAPTONS 24/32
2.7 ohms single
.13 ohms dual
3.5 ID/7wraps

I do five wraps with the same coil ID
and it comes out to .1 dual when hot!

In a rda i vape from 95w to 115w And I adjust as I vape...

In my rta, I have the same coils, and I vape it around 60watts.. And I adjust as I vape!

all I’m trying to say is, vaping at 200 watts is not the ideal vape for a lot of vapers out there... IMO!
Unless your just fucking around with clouds!
Stay safe!

I BAM

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not so sure the lush plus could flow enough air to justify 200W. I've vaped at 200W but that was on an atty with bottom and side airflow wide open as well as a very wide bore chuff cap on top. Even then the vape was hot, the Clapton's spit hot juice and the flavor was very muted from all that heat. The batteries and mod got warm very quick too. I did it for the shits and giggles of it the one time and haven't done it since. It was pointless.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
200 watts just isn't comfortable. Maybe for showing off every now and then but its like microwaving bread for a minute instead of 15 seconds.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I highly recommend that you also consider the following notions. At 50 watts per battery (so 150 watts if using 3 batteries) on a regulated mod the run time of the LG HG2 is about equal to that of the Sony VTC5A. At 60 watts per battery on a regulated mod, the VTC5A wins. It wins, not only in terms of the run time, but also it wins in terms of battery safety. That's just because there are no hard and fast numbers that are safe and unsafe to use for vaping. The reason why the LG HG2 is considered too unsafe for vaping at 200 watts with 3 batteries in a regulated mod is simply because that places you above the CDR of the LG HG2, which is 20 amps. Someone here in this thread suggested that it's still safe because the current draw averages out at something between 23.15ish and 17.63ish amps. But that's not how Mooch said you should calculate battery safety. Instead, he said this:

So what that boils down to is, no, you can't use the LG HG2 at 200 watts in your RX Gen3 and still call it safe enough. You SHOULD BE fine using brand name batteries rated for 20 amps in general IF YOU STAY BELOW 180 WATTS, but there's always at least someone who misrepresents what Mooch has said. That plus the fact the bigger voltage sag of the LG HG2 (when compared to the Sony VTC5A) holds back the performance of the chip inside your regulated mod if vaping on it at those high wattages, especially if you chain vape. And then I haven't even mentioned the fact that your LG HG2 batteries will age faster (again, when compared to the Sony VTC5A) because you're running them too warm.

That said, batteries are dirt cheap. It is generally safe for you to stop reading worthless advice about 20 amp batteries and get the VTC5A instead.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Thanks for all the replies, again. I'm thinking about maybe ordering a 28mm buddha zephyr. I made a mistake for my preferences ordering the lush plus. Just got back into it 2 weeks ago

And so the quest for vape perfection begins. Enjoy your journey Frodo.......... we are right there with you.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for all the replies, again. I'm thinking about maybe ordering a 28mm buddha zephyr. I made a mistake for my preferences ordering the lush plus. Just got back into it 2 weeks ago

I was excited to get a Lush Plus until I heard it whistle :( does yours whistle?

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
In a dual 18650 regulated mod (220w).....Will my two VTC5's push all dual coil builds .15 and higher ? Im at .2 most of the time but I just made a set of coils coming in at .16 - .18 . I only want to vape at 70 - 85w if possible....

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
I watch Mike Vapes a lot , I just like that dude , hehe. I bought some staple coils from Coilology and popped two in to my Bonza (and my Drop). When i see the ohms at .17 it makes me a little disappointed. MV does it all the time on regulated mods and cranks the wattage without concern. According to the Ohm calculator im well under 20a at 60w. If I go any higher in wattage I go over 20a a little. I normally just make my own .3 to .4 kanthal coils with no worries at all but i want to try some of these juice drinking coils. I have VTC5 batteries.....can i go up to 75w safely? I want to learn and not rely on the mod to keep me safe. What batteries do you all use for these more exotic coils?

DeepInTheAbyss

Member For 1 Year
If its dual battery you can probably crank it to 120w no problem, I used to do that all the time. If its single you need to stay under 100. I use a triple battery mod, lg h2 batteries I do believe. Theyre rated at 30amp and 2000 mah each. I could crank it to 250 at .15 and itd be fine.

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
If its dual battery you can probably crank it to 120w no problem, I used to do that all the time. If its single you need to stay under 100. I use a triple battery mod, lg h2 batteries I do believe. Theyre rated at 30amp and 2000 mah each. I could crank it to 250 at .15 and itd be fine.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Im such a rookie when it comes to these bigger coils. I just got it through my head ,with a little help from you and Mooch that ohms doesnt matter in regulated mods. Now that I realize that volts, watts and amps are the focus it makes sense. No more rookie questions , hehe. Why they make 225w devices I will never understand but Im getting there. Thanks for your help

DeepInTheAbyss

Member For 1 Year
Yeah man dont worry about it. Higher wattage is for making non existant ramp up time and huge clouds, with stuff like claptons it makes for good flavor too. The claptons i make, you really cant fire them unless its 100+. 150 is the sweet spot for me .Only problem is high wattage+normal coils can=no flavor. But with claptons it has flavor, even if minimalised. But high wattage kills your batteries too. Its all about what you want.

DeepInTheAbyss

Member For 1 Year
With my usual build it runs at 32 amps, about 4.42 volts, and .12 ohms. It doesnt have an issue but the batteries have a continous running time of like 40 minutes. And like I said its triple battery.

VU Sponsors