Build Stations

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by mikekscholz, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg As useful as Helen Keller's drumset VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    But of course, all drummers welcome! I think you were the first builder/musician I noticed on this forum

Note: musician status not required for the club
    Also note: the first rule about the metal club is: there is no metal club

mach1ne, gopher_byrd and Wtmke1 like this.
  2. chrisakasparky

chrisakasparky Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Yep six string bass! That’s my primary instrument, I can kinda play guitar and keyboard is hunt and peck. I do love metal, mostly hardcore. Im not a metal head, but my man bun does hide hair down to my ass heh. I wish we could all jam it’d be a nerdgasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pegleg Meg and Wtmke1 like this.
  3. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg As useful as Helen Keller's drumset VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I played a show one time...lol
    Crowning achievement of my musical career, playing in the same venue that I saw Opeth, Dark Tranquility in later (I can't believe they played there)

101_1620.JPG

Way old picture, but my hair is still Cousin Itt long

mach1ne, Wtmke1 and chrisakasparky like this.
  4. chrisakasparky

chrisakasparky Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wtmke1 and Pegleg Meg like this.
  5. Wtmke1

Wtmke1 Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Yea that's badass.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  6. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    We sounded pretty bad, and my brother said he was afraid I was going to fall over because I was trying to play while headbanging - it's harder than you might think

I was 18 then, not even old enough to drink there...good thing, too

Wtmke1 likes this.
  7. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Yea alcohol never leads to a good show for me.

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  8. Brandnew24

Brandnew24 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm so late to the party & never thought I'd actually be interested in coil building. Ive been working for the phone company for almost 20 years so the thought of making coils after work seemed to similar to my day job (if that makes sense)?
    Can anyone suggest a clamp style vice grip? Also, what type of swivels & how to attach the swivel to an anchor of such? I'm trying to figure this all out but minda confused on how to tackle this. Any suggestions wld help. I already hv everything else

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  9. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    I used these for now. I've got a couple bearings that I've got to add some extra stuff to use. Make a new station for the most part. But the size 1 barrel swivels and I use size 5 interlock snaps. All the store had when I went. My anchor point is a nail in my window frame that's the same height as the drill. It's not the best by any means. But my wife's orders if I want a stand alone station I have to pack up my drums. And fuckkkkk that. [​IMG][​IMG]

mach1ne and Pegleg Meg like this.
  10. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    I use a small chain ( 4 in a row) of 30 lb test Mustad coastlock ball bearing swivels, one 320 lb test Krok ball bearing swivel for backup, an L-brace with 22g wire to connect the swivels to it, and an Irwin quick-grip clamp

the Krok swivels are a bit too big to chain together without wobbling if I spin the drill very fast (over like...1500 rpm or so though, corded drill), however they will spin no matter how much tension I put on them; and the Mustad swivels are starting to wear out and not spin smoothly, but they're cheap and easy to replace, and I've been using these for probably 3 months or more

I used to use those barrel swivels but man they got stuck fast, I'm pretty rough with how much tension I put on things though

IMG_20180501_200123~2-2462x1939.jpg IMG_20180501_200156-1512x2016.jpg

320lb vs 30 lb lol, size comparison here - I took the Krok off today because I wanted to clapton as fast as my drill will go

There's also the Spin LT and Patino's Revolver swivels designed for coil builders, I have no experience with them but lots of people use those

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    mach1ne and Wtmke1 like this.
  11. VAPEROXX

VAPEROXX Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Build/DIY Station. 4 foot folding table bolted to garage wall, 360° hobby vise with Spin LT, dog kennel catch tray tacked to table, task light custom mounted, nail polish rack for flavors, 2 drills (1/2 Dewalt and 3/8 Ryobi cordless). 24 foot ladder hung on wall as overhead storage of supplies/accessories lol[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Old:

IMG_20180628_083244-1944x1458.jpg

New (with storage!!)

IMG_20180628_090754-1944x1458.jpg

Yeah pretty excited :bliss:

It's a full foot wider than the floppy card table, has drawers in front obviously but two of the panels in the back fold up to reveal another deep storage compartment

And it's not bowed in :inlove:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  13. Alter

Alter Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Great setup dude.
    Its nice to have a uncramped dedicated place to do the magic.

Pegleg Meg and raymo2u like this.
  14. mojo21

mojo21 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Goddamn that's a cramped spot !

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

15. mojo21

mojo21 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Alright guys and gals here is my new headquaters. Much better than my living room coffee table ![​IMG]

16. mojo21

mojo21 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Another upgrade today to my station . Ready to rock now![​IMG]

17. mojo21

mojo21 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm loving how the table vice secures my drill to keep equal tension throughout the build !

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  18. Alter

Alter Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    The tension of the core wire while wrapping IMO doesn't matter as much as consistant tension of the wrap wire. I assumed the tension in wrap wire is the deal maker. I have my core a ioda higher at the finish end, have the drill standing and use a bobbin threader with a old PT head that dangles under never touching the wrap wire as its wrapping...holding the spool by hand is inconsistent pressure you could see in the spaces between the wraps as your building the coil. The bobbin threader you can adjust to be a tight dispense of wire. DIY bobbin threader on youtube...easy to make.
    I'm not a rocket scientist so exact center of the wire in the chuck aint going to happen every time so one hand is on the switch and other controlling the bounce of the core wire.

Pegleg Meg likes this.