Become a Patron!

Building my first box mod have questions.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looking to build my first box mod. Looking for 30-50watt chip, single or double 18650 and 510 connection. I understand the basic idea but can someone point me to a thread or tell me how to use the search feature in the tapatalk app to find maybe some blueprints. Also what size enclosure will work? I've been looking at the Hammond enclosures boxes but all seem to be just a little bigger or larger than I think I might need. I want it to be as small as possible without overheating. Thanks in advance fellow vapors

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looking to build my first box mod. Looking for 30-50watt chip, single or double 18650 and 510 connection. I understand the basic idea but can someone point me to a thread or tell me how to use the search feature in the tapatalk app to find maybe some blueprints. Also what size enclosure will work? I've been looking at the Hammond enclosures boxes but all seem to be just a little bigger or larger than I think I might need. I want it to be as small as possible without overheating. Thanks in advance fellow vapors
Need to make some decisions, before relevant info can be given. What chip? Single or double battery? Do you have the tools and skills for the square hole for screen if you go dna? There is a thread that has a lot of pictures and info on another thread here, it might help you make some solid decisions, before we can provide more help. Check out the whole thread.

http://www.vapingunderground.com/threads/basic-mosfet-wiring.2361/page-5#post-177291

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking of a dna30 or genome30 but to perfectly honest I'm not sure which is better, my goal for this build is to be able to build longer coils at higher ohms for better flavor and still large cloud output. My goal with the mod is to have, large clouds, good adjustability and a display with USB charging option. Dual 18650 and yes I have a dremel and am very handy building stuff just never built one of these before.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess start at box. If you go the Hammond route I will provide a chart at the end of the foot prints of the different size boxes. You will have to take that number to site to get the dimensions. If you decide to go single battery DNA I would look out side of the box. 3dprinted, old pager, wood box, that type of thing. Im in a group that does a lot of sx350 chip builds, but those chips are atleast $70 and right now you can almost buy completed factory device for that. Look at this and see if it is close to what you have in mind.

Hammond Box Size Chart.jpg

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That video was extremely informative thanks. But it of course raises a few questions specifically one: Lipo batteries. What are there costs, power output vs standard 18650 batteries and because of there size I could make a smaller box mod and also which chipset is better out of the 2 I listed? I'm definitely going with the 30watt chipset just not sure which manufacturer, I've always heard good things about the DNA30 so I'll probably go with that in a enclosure that size. In fact that's the almost exact box I want to build with a different style of paint and I want to get my box in aluminum and get it electroplated maybe a Lamborghini yellow or something nice like that. Also instead of the poor quality looking mod dude built. I'd want to get the dna screen bezel and a nice aluminum firing switch, I've thought about going a step forward and getting a firing button with illuminated firing, up, down and LCD screen light. Vaping in the dark sucks especially if you drip, I wish I could come up with something with maybe a built in snake light for loading up your RDA at night.

fury

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are also some nice 3d printed enclosure options on shapeway. It will all depend on the chip you go with. I just got an Aries v2 sx350 box in the mail yesterday - its not too bad. I got the black and wish I would have done a different color now that I have it. Hindsight. I noticed a bunch of DNA Hammond lids.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So why does it matter on the chipset which box you use? I'm just curious and I'm the kind of person that likes to fully understand a project before I start it.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also what about those Lipo batts the builder in the video was using?

fury

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That video was extremely informative thanks. But it of course raises a few questions specifically one: Lipo batteries. What are there costs, power output vs standard 18650 batteries and because of there size I could make a smaller box mod and also which chipset is better out of the 2 I listed? I'm definitely going with the 30watt chipset just not sure which manufacturer, I've always heard good things about the DNA30 so I'll probably go with that in a enclosure that size. In fact that's the almost exact box I want to build with a different style of paint and I want to get my box in aluminum and get it electroplated maybe a Lamborghini yellow or something nice like that. Also instead of the poor quality looking mod dude built. I'd want to get the dna screen bezel and a nice aluminum firing switch, I've thought about going a step forward and getting a firing button with illuminated firing, up, down and LCD screen light. Vaping in the dark sucks especially if you drip, I wish I could come up with something with maybe a built in snake light for loading up your RDA at night.

Not sure how you would do a full snake light - might be cool to do some up lighting with led's around the 510. you'll need another button to fire them without firing the 510.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Like maybe a very small gooseneck led light. That'd be awesome. I know I can't be the only one who tries to drip at night

fury

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also what about those Lipo batts the builder in the video was using?
I've seen too many horror stories on lipos. I think it would be easier to use a good 18650.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How about a cloned dna30 and charging chip and hana enclosure from fasttech all for under $50. Add chip cradle, fatdaddyvapes 510 and buttons. Or do it with an evolv chip.
UJup9n2.jpg

VU Sponsors