Become a Patron!

Building My First Coil and Feeling Overwhelmed-Subox Mini RBA

Lambreau21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I purchased the Subox Mini Kit and have been happy with buying the vertical coils but now want to try out the experience of making my own coils (save some money too). The kit came with a RBA deck and now I'm looking to buy the gear for it and feeling a little overwhelmed. Is 26 gauge Kanthal A-1 the standard to go by? I have read a lot of people go with this but not sure if its the best gauge to go with. Also is it better or worse to do a double coil? And last question goes to what is the ideal amount of wraps that I need? Thanks for all the help!

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im a noob too so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I dont think youre suppose to build dual coils in the Subtank RBA. I think its made for 1 center coil (though Im sure some tinkerer has found a way). But for the 1 coil with the 26 Kanthal you can do 7 wraps at a 3mm diameter to get to around 1ohm, if thats what youre looking for, or you can go to a coil calculator to figure out whatever else you want. Just make sure you have an ohm meter to check the actual ohms so, you know, you dont wind up blowing your face off lol. From the sound of it you dont have any coil making gear, so if youve got the money Id really recommend copping the Coil Master kit. I have it an it sure makes it easy as hell to build coils properly.

Also the Subtank RBA was the first time I ever tried to make a coil, and a lesson I learned was dont use too much cotton in there. Like use less than you think you think you should as a noob. I packed it way too tight and it tasted like shit and burned my throat. Use just enough so that it stays put in the coil but is easy to slide back and forth with just minimal resistance. Of course, I could be wrong about all this lol.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Start by getting a good coil building kit. The coilmaster V2 is an all in one kit that will get you started:

diy-kit-con.png

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vapor's Toolbox is another good app for getting guidelines on wrapping your coils.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
welcome to the Builder's Club :)

26gK are a great place to start for your first spool of wire. you can use it for simple(single strand) coils, and is a popular foundation wire for complex builds(multi strand).

the STM is a great RBA to start with, but it can be tight. especially when it comes to the amount of wire that you can fit under the screws. a simple coil in a single coil configuration would be a great place to start.

as posted Steam Engine and other calculators are a builder best friend, as is YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=subtank+mini+coil

because you are using a regulated mod, you can get by with the barest of minimums to start. the screwdriver that came with your STM to wrap your coils on, and a pair of nail clippers to trim your wire are all the tools you need to start. your regulated mod will function as a ohm tester. if the resistance is to low, it won't fire, simple as that.

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just built my first coil last night. In same boat as you. Best thing I can say is to search and research on what your building. Found a lot of good vids online and the calculators are good also apps for smartphones will help. Problem i had was I got wire from the rda and had no clue what type it was. Searched and searched but finally gave up and went to hands on. I am lucky enough that I have a lava box with escribe. The escribe lets you check the ohms on your attys. So I winged it checed the ohms and was safe. The main thing I do suggest is that you have something to check your ohms with. Stay safe and have fun. Oh and alot of post say its cheaper to get your tools seperately. It may be but to me I had no idea what tools I would nee so I went the lazy way and ordered a kit. Its not here yet but its on its way. Went through vaporjoes sales list. Gearbest has a great sale on and got it there.

HeavyHauler

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Start by getting a good coil building kit. The coilmaster V2 is an all in one kit that will get you started:

diy-kit-con.png
I have one of these kits, minus the batteries (it never came with them); I just started using it tonight. Really good kit.

I shattered two of my glass pieces for my fishbone RDA though. Not sure how it happened. The first one went, when I was putting it on the atty and the second one shattered when I was wiping it down with a paper towel.

WTF?

Lambreau21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So an update and thanks to all that had input. I picked up some Kanthal A1 24 gauge and a coil jig kit and was off to the races. Took a little practice to finally master a sexy looking coil I was happy with using. For those that new and ambitious coil makers that are reading this also a little overwhelmed I used this Coil App which really helped me in hitting my goal Ohms. My goal was 0.5ohms but I'm reading at 0.44 which I'm perfectly happy with. I also used the scottish wick which I'm extremely satisfied with. Thanks again and I look forward to making many more. Hopefully even getting a bigger deck to build some dual coils!

Additional side note for the overwhelmed: One key thing I learned later, that I often over read in the advice columns, is before you too anxious and start wicking you must make sure that you fire your coils to ensure it heats up at the same time. You are ready to move on when the coil begins to glow simultaneous throughout. This makes sure you're not over burning in certain spots!

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So an update and thanks to all that had input. I picked up some Kanthal A1 24 gauge and a coil jig kit and was off to the races. Took a little practice to finally master a sexy looking coil I was happy with using. For those that new and ambitious coil makers that are reading this also a little overwhelmed I used this Coil App which really helped me in hitting my goal Ohms. My goal was 0.5ohms but I'm reading at 0.44 which I'm perfectly happy with. I also used the scottish wick which I'm extremely satisfied with. Thanks again and I look forward to making many more. Hopefully even getting a bigger deck to build some dual coils!

Additional side note for the overwhelmed: One key thing I learned later, that I often over read in the advice columns, is before you too anxious and start wicking you must make sure that you fire your coils to ensure it heats up at the same time. You are ready to move on when the coil begins to glow simultaneous throughout. This makes sure you're not over burning in certain spots!
Still waiting on my kit but thanks for the information. Also went to my local vape shop and guy there showed me some tips. A lot better watching in person than online for me. Also he has an ohmeter there thats pretty awesome. can power it up and vape off it if you want. 50 bucks damn but still pretty cool.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats on your first build! I just started not too long ago. It can be frustrating at times. Sometimes when I rewick I have some leaking issues, but hopefully I'll get that all ironed out eventually. I remember my first vape on my first build...eyes closed, hoping nothing exploded in my face. lol Also, if you don't want to spend the money on a kit, I pretty much get buy with just a small pair of needle nose pliers (a couple of bucks at Hobby Lobby in the jewelry making section or Wal-Mart) and a pair of Stanley precision screwdrivers ($5 at Wal-Mart), they are labeled as 1.4mm, 2mm, 2.4mm and 3mm. You probably have everything else you need, fingernail clippers will cut the wire fine, scissors for trimming the wick, a small pair does come in handy sometimes. Once you get ready to try twisted wire or claptons you'll want a drill.

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats on your first build! I just started not too long ago. It can be frustrating at times. Sometimes when I rewick I have some leaking issues, but hopefully I'll get that all ironed out eventually. I remember my first vape on my first build...eyes closed, hoping nothing exploded in my face. lol Also, if you don't want to spend the money on a kit, I pretty much get buy with just a small pair of needle nose pliers (a couple of bucks at Hobby Lobby in the jewelry making section or Wal-Mart) and a pair of Stanley precision screwdrivers ($5 at Wal-Mart), they are labeled as 1.4mm, 2mm, 2.4mm and 3mm. You probably have everything else you need, fingernail clippers will cut the wire fine, scissors for trimming the wick, a small pair does come in handy sometimes. Once you get ready to try twisted wire or claptons you'll want a drill.
Lol yeah still little leery at the try out. Even when guy fro vape shop made the coils for me first thing i did was come home and check wattage chart. Guess im still pretty new huh.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol yeah still little leery at the try out. Even when guy fro vape shop made the coils for me first thing i did was come home and check wattage chart. Guess im still pretty new huh.
Nothing wrong with being cautious. Any new coil, whether I buy it or I make it, I start out low on watts. Of course if it's one I made, I dry burn first anyway so that's not close to my face...helps to alleviate a lot of concern.

Swyping and swerving

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing wrong with being cautious. Any new coil, whether I buy it or I make it, I start out low on watts. Of course if it's one I made, I dry burn first anyway so that's not close to my face...helps to alleviate a lot of concern.

Swyping and swerving
I agree. I do the watts in my head love math but second guess myself everytime since Im so new. And takes forever to find a good subohm chart online. Just wished there was a good chart I can download with subohms and wattage recommendations. I have a lavabox so I can do any I want.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Swyping and swerving
Low wattage for sure when dry burning, and hot spotting. I've lost more than one coil to burning out a wire or leg due to hot spots.

VU Sponsors