Become a Patron!

Bummed out.. My new Aspire Nautilus bvc tank tastes NO BETTER than my $5 T3 s

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'm so bummed, my Aspire Nautilus 5ml bvc tank that I just bought in a starter kit case no better and maybe not even as good as my cheap little peb-style t3s tank.
Everyone said I'd get such better performance out of it.

On top of that, though I do like the fact that it holds twice as much juice, I don't even like it as much as my T3s tanks I already had.. and coils are more than twice as expensive.. so buying the Nautilus was probably a waste of money.

I could not taste anything better in it than I can in my T3s.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I was using my Nautilus Minis, wattage and airflow were the key to great taste. Some liquids need more power and some need less plus priming of the coils was really important because of the small amount of cotton. Good Luck

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yes I did everything the same as far as priming the coil and used the same wattage which I told the person who sold it to me dad I Vape on a wattage of 6, and I tried the different air holes, one of them made a whistling sound that was kind of annoying, but none of them tasted as good and where is simple to get good flavor and smoke as my t3s tank but half the time when I order the t3s, half the ones I order come in and I have to take them apart and figure out which part of it is defective because my vaporizer will say, check atomizer, so it cannot read it because it is not threaded right or something. And the coils only last a day or two which is annoying and that was the whole reason I bought the Aspire but it is not giving me the same flavor and taste without problems like the t3s does.
I guess I should say the flavor and taste are there the same as the t3s, but- I expected more from it since it cost 4 4 x as much. And the coils cost 2 times as much.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
When I was using my Nautilus Minis, wattage and airflow were the key to great taste. Some liquids need more power and some need less plus priming of the coils was really important because of the small amount of cotton. Good Luck
I fixed it! I turned the wattage from 6 up to 9, and put the airflow on the smallest hole and now I can taste it a little bit better than on my T3 yes and get bigger clouds. I'm happy now LOL

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I fixed it! I turned the wattage from 6 up to 9, and put the airflow on the smallest hole and now I can taste it a little bit better than on my T3 yes and get bigger clouds. I'm happy now LOL
I was going to say, bump up the wattage if you have to. Under powered coils wont give good flavor. Keep messing with the airflow and power until you get it dialed in. Also, sometimes the coil needs to break-in to get optimal flavor. Keep using it and I'm sure you can find a happy place.

I dont use these but if you're using the 1.8Ω coils they reccomend 10-14W.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep in mind that your juice is most likely the reason you go through coils so fast and the nautilus coils may not last much longer than your others. Juices like OMG that are "heavy on the cream" will clog any coil pretty quick.

Tip for priming nautilus coils. Put new coil in, fill tank, put filled tank in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Take cold tank out of freezer and let it warm up. Coil is now well primed.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you can still find aspire triton mini coils, they are claptons and seem to have a bit better flavor. I never had much luck with the regular BVC coils.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

You found the sweet spot! Like I said sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less you don't know until you try it.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to find "recommended wattages" to be off the mark and see so many posts where people dislike the vape and never tried to go lower or higher because of the "recommendation"
Same here. I use nautilus or mini triton coils. I make my own eliquid. They last at least 2 weeks or more. The 0.7ohm coils I use between 20-22watts. The 1.6 & 1.8ohm (which I am not buying anymore) I cranked them to 19-20w.

I have found that the aspire nautilus 2 is better than the nautilus 5mL and mini. I broke many tanks before the Nautilus 2 came out. I drop stuff. :)

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Same here. I use nautilus or mini triton coils. I make my own eliquid. They last at least 2 weeks or more. The 0.7ohm coils I use between 20-22watts. The 1.6 & 1.8ohm (which I am not buying anymore) I cranked them to 19-20w.

I have found that the aspire nautilus 2 is better than the nautilus 5mL and mini. I broke many tanks before the Nautilus 2 came out. I drop stuff. :)
Thanks for this comment, been strictly using single coil rta’s for a while.
I have some awesome rebuildables but was thinking about a nautilus backup since often I’m on the road and wouldn’t have time to rewick in a vaping emergency situation.

Was debating on the mini or the 2, the 2 looks more durable.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for this comment, been strictly using single coil rta’s for a while.
I have some awesome rebuildables but was thinking about a nautilus backup since often I’m on the road and wouldn’t have time to rewick in a vaping emergency situation.

Was debating on the mini or the 2, the 2 looks more durable.
They (Aspire) are coming out with the Nautilus 2S. I'm waiting to get one when it's available.
Here's a link..https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjvgs_Jp4DfAhVq74MKHWyIAF8QFjAAegQIBxAB&url=https://www.aspirecig.com/aspire-tanks/nautilus/nautilus542.html&usg=AOvVaw3A_snr9JReJqlMGQyIQZ_5

P.S. I dropped my Nautilus 2 many times and still intact.
I'm not pimping this place but they have the cheapest price (I think) on the regular nautilus 2.
They have a coupon code out there as well. Reddit12 I don't know if it applies to hardware or just liquids.

https://www.eightvape.com/products/aspire-nautilus-2-top-fill-tank

Last edited:

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You found the sweet spot! Like I said sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less you don't know until you try it.
New problem, after vaping Nautilus for the night I felt like I have pneumonia and kept coughing.
Went to t3s tank..backed wattage to 8..and lungs r better. I guess I can't do a Nautilus bc kept coughing , was hard to breathe..

Laurent

Member For 4 Years
I had the same coughing when I burnt the cotton do to chain vaping and/or using anything higher than 50% VG. Also, I've found if I fill the tank too full that it won't wick properly (vapor lock) so I usually tighten then back it off 1/2 a turn. I also twist back and forth a 1/4 turn every so often (especially in cold weather) and will see a bubble or two. Priming and bringing it slowly up to correct wattage is also important. I use the 1.8 bvc coils day in and day out and get between 1,800 - 2,000 puffs , depending on the flavor I'm using. This equals out to about a week.I only buy coils from a reputable supplier as there are many Nautilus fakes which are garbage. You can check the Aspire website with the scratch and sniff code to be sure they are not fakes.

Here is how I prime and use the Nautilus 1.8 BVC coils.

1. Use 12 dripper drops (50%VG or less) down the sides of the inside of the coil while rotating to be sure to get all the cotton wet.
2. Keep it same side up for two-three minutes.
3. A drop or two will be coming out the bottom air flow by now. Use a twisted end of a napkin to pass through the small bottom airflow hole to dry and then wipe off excess off the rest of the coil up to the clear plastic seal ring.
4. Screw the coil in very, very snug
5. Assemble and fill the tank 2/3. this allows extra air so the coil can wick easier. Wait 2 minutes or so.
6. The 1.8 is suggested for 10-14 watts. Start at 8.5 and take a few short puffs, a minute or two in-between, but don't inhale them. I usually do between 5-6 of these short puffs without inhaling at 8.5. Now I go to 9 watts and do longer drags with inhale. I keep it there for between 8-10 drags/puffs. I do the same and go up in increments of 5 watts until I find the most flavorful sweetspot for the juice I'm using. Always seems to come out to 11.5 - 12.5 watts. It is not uncommon for full ejuice flavor until 2mls or so are used through the coil. Then it's heaven.

Nicotine mg's will also play a big roll in the flavor you are getting. I'm now using 12mg and find anything higher and I lack flavor. I purchase 5pks of the coils for around $8 from Eightvape and my juices are from Vaping Watch. Between the juice and coils I use it ends up costing around $200-$300 yr. I was spending approx $15 a day or $5,475yr on cigs. My brick and mortar sells these single coils for $3 a pop.

Reactions: dez

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I had the same coughing when I burnt the cotton do to chain vaping and/or using anything higher than 50% VG. Also, I've found if I fill the tank too full that it won't wick properly (vapor lock) so I usually tighten then back it off 1/2 a turn. I also twist back and forth a 1/4 turn every so often (especially in cold weather) and will see a bubble or two. Priming and bringing it slowly up to correct wattage is also important. I use the 1.8 bvc coils day in and day out and get between 1,800 - 2,000 puffs , depending on the flavor I'm using. This equals out to about a week.I only buy coils from a reputable supplier as there are many Nautilus fakes which are garbage. You can check the Aspire website with the scratch and sniff code to be sure they are not fakes.

Here is how I prime and use the Nautilus 1.8 BVC coils.

1. Use 12 dripper drops (50%VG or less) down the sides of the inside of the coil while rotating to be sure to get all the cotton wet.
2. Keep it same side up for two-three minutes.
3. A drop or two will be coming out the bottom air flow by now. Use a twisted end of a napkin to pass through the small bottom airflow hole to dry and then wipe off excess off the rest of the coil up to the clear plastic seal ring.
4. Screw the coil in very, very snug
5. Assemble and fill the tank 2/3. this allows extra air so the coil can wick easier. Wait 2 minutes or so.
6. The 1.8 is suggested for 10-14 watts. Start at 8.5 and take a few short puffs, a minute or two in-between, but don't inhale them. I usually do between 5-6 of these short puffs without inhaling at 8.5. Now I go to 9 watts and do longer drags with inhale. I keep it there for between 8-10 drags/puffs. I do the same and go up in increments of 5 watts until I find the most flavorful sweetspot for the juice I'm using. Always seems to come out to 11.5 - 12.5 watts. It is not uncommon for full ejuice flavor until 2mls or so are used through the coil. Then it's heaven.

Nicotine mg's will also play a big roll in the flavor you are getting. I'm now using 12mg and find anything higher and I lack flavor. I purchase 5pks of the coils for around $8 from Eightvape and my juices are from Vaping Watch. Between the juice and coils I use it ends up costing around $200-$300 yr. I was spending approx $15 a day or $5,475yr on cigs. My brick and mortar sells these single coils for $3 a pop.
Yes.. I know that the juices I get are almost always 70 VG or sometimes 80vg. It just seems almost everything is that way and both flavors that I really want to vape all of the time are that way. It just seems that to find The Sweet Spot on that tank only had to get it up to about 10 watts, but when I'm vaping heavy like I was it just totally made my lungs feel like pneumonia. I switch back to my t3s tank with the wattage at 6-6 where I usually use it and it was fine.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are vaping for nicotine, 3mg is very low for 6-12 watts vapes. So, you'll vape more.

You can up the nicotine to 6 or more and you should vape less. I use 12mg and vape the nautilus.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
If you are vaping for nicotine, 3mg is very low for 6-12 watts vapes. So, you'll vape more.

You can up the nicotine to 6 or more and you should vape less. I use 12mg and vape the nautilus.
My vape juice is currently at 5 nicotine but I don't vape for nicotine.
I just started vaping because I was about to start smoking after 20 years of not smoking due to stress.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It has been said many times that the only one who knows how much Nicotine is enough for you is you. And you prove that statement @dez

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
It has been said many times that the only one who knows how much Nicotine is enough for you is you. And you prove that statement @dez
For a long time I got 3% nicotine because it seemed to give it more flavor but with the OMG for Mom and Pop's 0 nicotine has basically the same flavor as they're 5%. I am starting to wonder if different types of nicotine have different flavors because of that. Are there different types of nicotine?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am starting to wonder if different types of nicotine have different flavors because of that. Are there different types of nicotine?

Yes there are different types like Throat Hit or different quality nicotine. The stuff I use is odorless and tasteless but I have seen it make Zero MG e-Liquids taste better. But remember the subjectivity. Just my opinion.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are there different types of nicotine?
Yes, lots. There's a bunch of different types. All of those types can range from optimal to terrible (oxidized). I've been sold terrible concentrated nicotine, and have recognized it in juice I've been sold. The symptoms of bad nic range from harshness, to have a weird peppery taste. Good nic smells and tastes like it isn't there IMO. You can tell it's there by feeling it.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yes there are different types like Throat Hit or different quality nicotine. The stuff I use is odorless and tasteless but I have seen it make Zero MG e-Liquids taste better. But remember the subjectivity. Just my opinion.
That's exactly why I usually get the smallest amount of nicotine instead of 0 because it does make a difference in the flavor for me. With Mom and Pop's Vapor Shop there's really not much difference between their 5% and they're zero, the zero actually has plenty of flavor it just tastes a little cleaner.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Fyi- UPDATE. .I got the aspire Nautilus tank working well now. Part of the problem was I 1st used it with a thicker 70/30 eJuice after smoking mom and pop Vapor Shop OMG-Which we later found out is a 50/50..so chain vaping 70/30 on the new tank made my lungs heavy /coughing fit.

It's fine now by vaping my regular omg juice and also decreased wattage to just 8 instead of the 12 I had it on..after vaping at 6 on the t3s tank + least airflow possible.
Thanks all!

Newtsche

Member For 5 Years
I still use a Nautilus Mini, armored tank on a beater mod for rough duty, dirty environment vaping.

My general go-to rig is a Triton Mini, very similar with BVC coils but top fill and infinite air flow instead of preset choices.
The air flow sweet spot control makes a big difference for me, I can really dial the Triton Mini in.

FWIW chain vaping MTLer here.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I still use a Nautilus Mini, armored tank on a beater mod for rough duty, dirty environment vaping.

My general go-to rig is a Triton Mini, very similar with BVC coils but top fill and infinite air flow instead of preset choices.
The air flow sweet spot control makes a big difference for me, I can really dial the Triton Mini in.

FWIW chain vaping MTLer here.
Explain that last sentence to me? Imogene Vapor because I'm home all the time and I Vape a lot when I first wake up and as I'm going to sleep. I quit cigarettes for 20 years before I started vaping, and started with zero or 3% nicotine and never went up and less something lower was not offered. I don't know why I chain Vape like that when I wake up and when I'm falling asleep.
-What do you mean your tank is an armored tank for heavy-duty? What do you do? Thanks

Newtsche

Member For 5 Years
-What do you mean your tank is an armored tank for heavy-duty? What do you do? Thanks

I can't find a link to show you, there is a replacement for the Nautilus Mini glass that is sheathed in stainless steel with little windows for filling the tank. It sits on an old Clouper mod (long gone now I'm sure), beat up so the rig is unlikely to suffer damage and dirt problems when I'm working outside.

FWIW I was a two pack a day smoker for decades. I started at 18MG nic when first vaping. I worked down to 9MG and that seems to be my sweet spot, if I cut nic, I just vape more. I mix my own juice, unflavored because nic is all I'm after.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@dez Do you feel as though the nic is too strong or do you think it's your juice? The "Nauti" will change up your vape coming from what you're used to. This will change up some of your favorite juices, I found that out. Then nic level may be too harsh since you were only trying to stay away from smoking.
You can try to maneuver the air flow for a smoother draw. Maybe try another juice without say cinnamon or tobacco flavor in it. Those were my throat and chest killers at one time. Some attys call for a little more power, just find what works with you and the tank. If it gurgles, then it needs more watts. That is the sound of flooding your deck, underpower.
I found those little things to help me out a few years back on my first run. Now all I do is build and sub ohm this go around (and final). I learned to build fairly quick after going through several coils. I have a friend who refuses to build but her Cleito coils are $20 for 5. With $20 I can build coils forever. I tinker with flavors now and build whenever I get tired of the same ole coil or if it gets gunky. I'm retired and I build while watching TV. :)

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I can't find a link to show you, there is a replacement for the Nautilus Mini glass that is sheathed in stainless steel with little windows for filling the tank. It sits on an old Clouper mod (long gone now I'm sure), beat up so the rig is unlikely to suffer damage and dirt problems when I'm working outside.

FWIW I was a two pack a day smoker for decades. I started at 18MG nic when first vaping. I worked down to 9MG and that seems to be my sweet spot, if I cut nic, I just vape more. I mix my own juice, unflavored because nic is all I'm after.
What does FWIW mean?

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@dez Do you feel as though the nic is too strong or do you think it's your juice? The "Nauti" will change up your vape coming from what you're used to. This will change up some of your favorite juices, I found that out. Then nic level may be too harsh since you were only trying to stay away from smoking.
You can try to maneuver the air flow for a smoother draw. Maybe try another juice without say cinnamon or tobacco flavor in it. Those were my throat and chest killers at one time. Some attys call for a little more power, just find what works with you and the tank. If it gurgles, then it needs more watts. That is the sound of flooding your deck, underpower.
I found those little things to help me out a few years back on my first run. Now all I do is build and sub ohm this go around (and final). I learned to build fairly quick after going through several coils. I have a friend who refuses to build but her Cleito coils are $20 for 5. With $20 I can build coils forever. I tinker with flavors now and build whenever I get tired of the same ole coil or if it gets gunky. I'm retired and I build while watching TV. :)
Normally what I Vape is a thinner 50/50 juice at 5% Nic, and what I tried in my new 5ml Aspire Nautilus tank the first night was a 70/30 mix and it was 6% nicotine and seemed a much stronger nicotine and I had it at too high of a wattage for what was good for me and the juice.. and that's why I was coughing.
I can Vape my normal juice which is 5%.. but the nicotine does not seem very strong in it and be fine now that I have backed down the wattage.
-I only Vape strawberry flavors so it shouldn't be a flavor thing. Thanks!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Strawberry flavors are one of the ones I find that usually contains alcohol in the flavor so I need to air it out or let them breathe whether or not it is a DIY or a Retail e-Liquid. Just a thought and Good Luck

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Strawberry flavors are one of the ones I find that usually contains alcohol in the flavor so I need to air it out or let them breathe whether or not it is a DIY or a Retail e-Liquid. Just a thought and Good Luck
Okay thanks!

VU Sponsors