Become a Patron!

Burning Coils

Dragerean

Member For 1 Year
Let me preface this by saying that I'm sorry if this does have an actual spot, I was unable to find it.

Now, down to the issue at hand. I'm running the Smok TFV8 kit, and just burned through 4 of the new coils I got yesterday. I tried a spare that I keep on hand from my last pack every time, just in case, and it did the same thing. So I know it's not the pack, but probably my mod. I'm ruling out the tank for the moment because I have 2 tanks and it does this on both of them. The only common factor in this equation is the V8 Stick. They are both TFV8 Baby Beast tanks, running the V8-X4 coil heads. I also tried an M2 coil head, but again the first puff after priming and letting it sit was burnt to hell. I'm wondering if there are any obvious issues that have an easy fix, or if I need to jump ship and get a new mod. I've been trying to do exactly that for a month or so now but, money lol.

Thanks in advance!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could just he a bad batch of coils..... number 1 reason for RBA is quality control.
Could be you need to run at lower wattage...you mod is unregulated I think.... temperature being controled by coil mass and ohm.

Solution regulated mod or rebuildable atomizer or both.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I do not own the stick, so I can't speak on that part, but it seems more like you've lucked out on coils. When buying stock coils, you will get shit coils, that's just gonna happen, it will happen more often with companies with bad QC, but it does happen to everyone. You can take a small safety pin and carefully poke the cotton on the side, not all the way through, just enough to make a little hole, that tends to help. Though if you taste burnt cotton, it's too late. You may need to look into making your own coils.

EDIT: like Honda said, a regulated mod wouldn't be too bad neither.

Dragerean

Member For 1 Year
As stated, I've ruled out the bad batch theory. I tested a coil head from a completely different pack (M2 spare VS X4 pack) so I'm positive it's the mod. And believe me, I'd love to switch to a regulated mod with an RDA, but as stated above, money. I will try poking my last coil head with a safety pin to see if that might help, but I have a super strong menthol and if I just do mouth to lungs it should get me by until I can scrape together enough for a new mod, and then hopefully an RDA to work with. Thanks for the input!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What are you doing to prime the coils?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After letting the coil soak, you need to start out with really short bursts. I do that for a while. Taking long drags too soon isn't a good idea. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, just a tip. Your mod might be screwy I dont know.

Dragerean

Member For 1 Year
To prime the coil, I start by dripping liquid on in the top of the cores to get those wet, once that's pretty well damp I put a little on the sides and then let it sit in a full tank for about 30 minutes. The first couple puffs are always just that, puffs. Never looks like I've done anything more than take a drag off a cigarette. Even that first puff tastes burnt. On coil 3 I let it sit over night, around 14 hours, before taking a hit and it still tasted burnt. I tried old coils, new coils, higher resistance coils, lower resisitence coils, just popping it into the tank and letting it soak instead of priming the core. I've gone through 5-7 coils now, and they all taste like someone screwed em together, pushed a current through em, and lit the cotton on fire before dropping em into my tank.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Without another mod or tank to narrow it down, sounds more like the mod to me. Could have gotten a pack full of bad coils, but not likely.
Take everything to a shop and see if the mod works like it should. I'd be leery of it till then.

Dragerean

Member For 1 Year
Yup, my next day off I'm gonna go to the shop I got it from and see what the issue may be. Until then, I am devoid of nicotine. Work's gonna be so much fun... lol

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can afford coilheads...... you can afford a good regulated mod. We're talking less than 50 dollars probably closer to 20.....

you mod is probably putting out too many volts for the heads at full charge. My guess is everything is working correctly in a technical way...... but working correctly does not always bring a good vape. If the gear is incorrect for the user.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Dragerean

Member For 1 Year
That's where you're wrong. I usually buy them 2 at a time, because I can't afford a full pack of coil heads. This is a rare occasion that I can grab a full pack, because I'm working part time on minimum wage (12 hours a week right now) so i can barely afford my utilities. They actually cut my electric the other day and I had to wait for my check to clear so I could get it turned back on. While I would love nothing more than to pick up a decent regulated mod, preferably a squonk box tbh, I literally cannot afford it.

VU Sponsors